Home Forums Living Spaces Bedrooms How do you clean large silk plants

This topic contains 28 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Klyla

I’ve procrastinated on this one long enough. It’s been over 5 years since I’ve cleaned my large silk plants (think rubber plant). Is there any way to do this short of wiping every individual leaf? I love the look of these in my master bath and don’t want to give them up. Help!

Mimi

How do you clean large silk plants

if they need real cleaning, i suppose you have to wipe every single leave… but if there is just a bit dust, i would suggest this method: put/hold a wet towel behind the flowers and blow some air with a hairdryer towards the wet towel. the dust will be caught there. it worked great for my dried roses.

RebeccaL

Could they be lightly hosed with a sink spray? (Not sure if too delicate)

luxcat

vacuum with the brush attachment?

ArtGal

I learned this method while working at a craft store many years ago…pour one box/container of regular table salt into a large plastic garbage bag…place the plant inside (as much as possible) and upside down. Gather or tie the bag at the bottom around the pot. Then shake it (still upside down) like crazy! Believe it or not, the salt granules clean the dust off the leaves. For smaller plants use less salt and smaller bags ๐Ÿ™‚

Amy

Take it outside and hose it down with Endust. After 24-48 hrs it should be dry and shiny like new.
    This method only works with Endust. Pledge won’t do it.

Anonymous

I’ve always simply took them into the shower and hosed them down. Shake vigorously, then take outside and shake again. Left them in a dry, warm place, away from direct sunlight. They only dry well in summer, and that works fine for me.

Anonymous

I meant ‘taken’ them into the shower, not ‘took’ them into the shower. Sheesh.

ceduke

Huh, I’m doing too much work wiping mine down leaf by leaf. Thanks for this thread, LOL!

No disrespect intended but a silk plant would be nearing the top of my list of items that are pure clutter! Sorry.

luxcat

one person’s clutter is another person’s joy… “whatever you find useful or beautiful…”

bandicoot

stackenblochen, i am with you.
    on the other hand, i have lots of ethnic textiles and kitchen equipment hanging around that would drive many other people insane.
    different strokes, etc. ๐Ÿ™‚

djk

Fake plants & dried flowers are not to my taste at all–but I can easily imagine that if one doesn’t have enough natural light, or travels a lot and can’t regularly care for real plants, well, who am I to judge that someone else can’t have some greenery inside to bring pleasure?
    I’ve got plenty of baskets and candles, which others might also consider clutter.

I’m going with the different strokes for different folks, too.

Of course, point well taken! Sorry for sounding judgmental, didn’t mean it that way.

chacha1

An artificial tree as cat toy makes a LOT of sense to me. Mine have knocked over my 5-foot ficus in the past … now *that* was a mess to clean up!

ceduke

I’d love to have a few real plants around, but one of cats obsesseivaly eats real plants (I have to be careful about what kinds of fake ones I bring in r he’ll eat those too) and then vomits the leaves up at intervals into shoes, onto pillows, and quite loudly at 5am.

So I splurged on a couple of really nice fake trees that cheer up my place quite a bit.

Klyla

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. I put the rubber tree one in the shower and sprayed the dickens out of it…and it came out beautiful!

The smaller plants I put over the kitchen sink and did same. I think in both cases that getting the water hot first helped.

The big palm tree one I ended up taking out on the deck and after letting the water in the outdoor hose get warm in the sun, gave it the same treatment as the others. It was 90 degrees outside so they all dried quickly for me. They look fantastic!

And trust me….these are not your grandma’s silk flowers….they are PLANTS and are gorgeous! Thanks again friends!!

If I figure out where to put a picture so you can see them, I will. ๐Ÿ™‚

bandicoot

sounds like a complete win!
    who knew you could wash those things? not me. i am filing that info away.

my cats have acres of garden to wreck, grass to eat, trees to climb, wildlife to decimate.
    i am not buying them silk plants, no matter how much fun they sound!

bandicoot

one of our cats had to be rescued off a wet, slippery roof recently.
    he was up there, crying and wringing his paws.
    my husband backed the car over and opened the hatchback, so the furry one could get down gracefully.
    but yanno, we don’t pander to them or anything.
    *lol*

ninakk

My two cents are pathetic of sorts. I keep reading silk pants all the time.

djk

This thread motivated me to take my 2 surviving indoor plants into the shower and give them a good rain shower in there. There was a bit (can be read as “quite a bit” ) of dust on one. Thank goodness they both seem to thrive on low light and abysmal neglect. I thought I’d completely killed one last summer (leaving for a few weeks in August, in near 40* heat, and forgetting to have them watered do not for green leaves make). I hacked it down to the twigs and lo and behold but that little stinker is shooting up again.

I probably ought to find out what they’re called, I only have 2.

Sky

I have a silk african violet in a blue delft planter that absolutely looks real. Everyone that sees it asks me what fertilizer I use. The days of tacky plastic fake flowers are gone and real plants are a pain so I dust my violet and giggle inside when people think it’s real. I would post a picture if I knew how….

whyawhelk

Oh yeah, thanks, spammer, I was kind of missing this thread, because I used to keep reading it as ‘how do you clean large silk pants,’ which are undergarments in my version of english. And I could never figure out how large a pair of silk pants would have to be in order for the cleaning thereof to differ substantially from the cleaning of smaller silk pants. I kid you not, I must have clicked this topic on at least three separate occasions, thinking it was about pants and being wrong every time.

Anonymous

@whyawhelk, too funny. Made me lol.

@Sky, in high school, (sometime in the 1960’s – yikes!) my best friend’s mom had a beautiful bonsai on the tv cabinet. I remarked one time on how vibrant it looked, and BF cracked up. Turned out BF’s mom had bought the darn thing 3 years earlier, for a hefty sum. It died. Quickly.

BF’s mom bought a can of green spray paint and voila! The never-dying, always lovely bonsai. I think they kept it for about 15 yrs., spray painting as needed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.