Home Forums Welcome Hello! How do you back up your digital information?

• This topic has 8 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by  s.
Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Puss

I’ve just been sorting out my digital files. I have an external hard drive with almost everything on (documents, music, photos etc) but I am wondering about another back up. Do you back up on another hard drive or is just one copy of everything enough? I am fond of putting most things on the computer but the back up issue confuses me sometimes. I thought you could have things on your computer and then just backed up to one hard drive. I don’t want to lose anything.

bandicoot

How do you back up your digital information?

i have two external hard drives and an apple time machine.
      i have been through one digital wipeout and i never wish to repeat it.

chacha1

I subscribed to BackBlaze about 15 mo ago. We’d had external hard drives set up, but running a backup was not automated and basically it just didn’t get done. I didn’t want to have another chore on my list, so I went with a service. Anytime I’m online, the backup runs automagically.

Parsifal

Google Drive and Dropbox are both decent solutions with free tiers. I do my backups manually, but I find that unless I use a remote (cloud) service, I will eventually lose my copies. It wasn’t a big deal when I had 4-5 extra hard drives, but I find that I am gradually losing redundancy as I downsize.

I recommend prioritizing – usually, the most vital documents and pictures take up very little space. My last ‘digital wipeout’ happened in college almost 20 years ago when I accidentally used disk #3 of a 3-disk backup for something else. Now, I make sure to always have at least 2 copies of my main archive.

OnARoll

Keeping a copy of my office files at home on a portable hard drive, and a copy of my home files at the office.

If I didn’t have that offsite backup, I would sign up with a cloud service. Because 2 copies of the same stuff in the same building, room or god forbid the same computer is not great backup.

Swede

I’ve had my ext drive crash on me and the data recovery people told me you should always have two copies – and one of the copies should be in a different physical space (in case of fire, flooding or if someone would break in the harddrives and the computer would be stolen). They are the pros and it seems smart to follow their advice. 🙂

JayEff

I previously backed up photographs and documents on several external hard drives. These older photographs and documents are still there.

I now back up photographs on Google Drive and documents on either Google Drive or Spideroak. Documents that could be the basis for identity theft go on Spideroak, and other documents go on Google Drive.

s

Like others, we have a hard drive backup, plus CrashPlan, in the Cloud (online).

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.