This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Sky 9 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Lelah

Hello, I’m Lelah Baker-Rabe. I’m a professional organizer located in Los Angeles, California, and I’ve so enjoyed being a regular reader of Unclutterer. These forums are going to be a wonderful resource for people who are trying to make a difference in their lives through organization. I’m looking forward to following the discussions. Thanks!

Claycat

Helping you organize.

Hi Leiah! What prompted you to become a professional organizer?

Sky

Helping you organize.

What would you recommend for sentimental things when they don’t fit your lifestyle but are so hard to part with? Is there a trick to letting go?

Lelah

Helping you organize.

@Claycat I decided to become a professional organizer once I realized that my love of entrepreneurship and organizing could be combined to help improve people’s lives. Getting and staying organized can do so much for a person’s energy and well-being, and I love helping people discover that.

@Sky I think if you are having trouble letting go of something sentimental that you know you need to part with, you can do a couple of things. 1) Take a picture of the item and keep that (I do this all the time!). 2) Consider keeping a small part to represent the whole, such as a cutting from a piece of clothing. 3) Find someone to give the item to who will really appreciate and use it so you know it will be well loved.

Sometimes, though, when something is hard to get rid of it is because we aren’t done working through whatever it is it represents to us. In that case, I don’t think it’s always necessary to purge stuff from you life, if keeping it is more satisfying than the freedom you might feel from letting it go. I feel like there is no wrong answer; once you do let it out of your life, you’ll wonder why you agonized over doing it in the first place.

Sky

Helping you organize.

Thank you, Lelah. That really makes sense.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.