This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Ella 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Kimmons

Hi, I am new to this forum and am glad I found it! I need some help with something that has been driving me CRAZY for the last few weeks. We are planning to move from Minnesota to Florida in a 5th Wheeler or something of the sort in 4-8 weeks. So, we have to pare down EVERYTHING as we can’t afford to ship it. I have been collecting dog figurines since my Great Grandma gave me my first one over 35 years ago (I am now 55). Well…that dog has turned into several hundred-some antique, some crystal, but all have a sentimental value to me one way or another. I have curios full of these little creatures. Every time I pick one up to put in a “sale” box, my hand seems to take on a will of it’s own and put it back to PACK. If we were to bring all of them, absolutely nothing else would fit in the camper-because we are bringing our 9 live little dogs as well. All are older and I will not separate them at this stage. In addition, we’re going to have to live in the camper until we find a house. Someone please help! How in the world can I sort my little critters?? Thanks!
    Kimmons

Help, please!

Can you divide them up into those to take with you and those that can be sent later – Would someone be willing to hold some of them for you (after you pack and box them) until you had the money to have them shipped, but within a time that’s agreeable to your friend/relative?

Would you like to keep your entire collection, cull it, or sell it all? After you decide that then you can think of options to reach your goal.

I used to feel that way about all my books but now it’s easy to part with them (oh, except for the ones I want to keep).

Kimmons

Help, please!

I’d like to keep them all, but realistially it takes me hours every single week to keep them dust free. I’ve got Fibromyalgia, and the work is becoming too much of a strain.
    You make some great points! I think I’m going to split them up in breed groups, and choose my favorite breeds to take. If we don’t have enough room for those (which is possible) I’ll have my sister hold on to them for me until I’m settled in. Thanks!!
    Oh geez, I haven’t even thought about my books. AGHHHHH lol
    Kimmons

Emilie

Help, please!

Some people here have advised taking pictures of some items in a collection, then giving away the items. Then you still have the image of the item, but it takes up much less space. Maybe you could do a photo-collage or something like that, to “miniaturize” the collection. This may or may not work for you, but I thought I’d throw it out there.

It sounds like you have some excellent reasons to reduce the collection. Maybe think about what you’d gain, like time. What other things could you do in the time you now spend dusting, for instance?

Good luck on your move, too!

Anonymous

Help, please!

I notice that after awhile, some of my curios start to become invisible to me. I don’t notice them anymore. If I was culling, I would take these out right away.

Don’t forget, you can photograph them and cherish them digitally! Maybe set a goal of reducing them down to 10 absolute favorites, then make photos of the rest.

Sky

Help, please!

Kimmons….you will be my neighbor as I live in S.C. Warm weather helps Fibromyalgia too!

I suggest sorting your figurines in similar groups then, depending on how many groups you have, pick your favorite from each group. I collect hedgehogs and my collection got too big so I scaled it back and I really appreciate the ones I now have more. When I had so many, I didn’t see the individual hedgehogs, they were all lost in the group. It was hard to part with them but I haven’t missed them at all and I love living uncluttered.

Maybe you can give the ones you are letting go of to family or sell them and make some money.

Good luck with your move!

Ella

Help, please!

It might be sweet to pose one of your live little doggies along with each small photographic grouping of the figurines you’re parting with. Just a thought…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.