Home Forums Unclutter Your Life in One Week Your story Hello! Why did I buy the book?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Nuria_P 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

Nuria_P

Hi! Every end of the year, my main resolution is to get organized and declutter my home (and my life) once and for all. I have been failing for the last 8 years, since my first son was born.
    I am an impacient person, and it is hard for me to persevere. I need to see immediate results, or I tend to give up. Also, I like to be told what i have to do step by step,so I dont have to think too much lol. I have tried all sort of methods in the past, and yesterday, surfing in Amazon, I found this book and I thought that dedicating 7 days (to start with) might help me as I would notice the change quite quickly. And as I am on my Christmas holidays, I decided to buy it. Today it’s been my day 1, althought sorting out clothing has taken all day!

Sometimez

Hello! Why did I buy the book?

Oh, Nuria, I wish for you patience, and I wish it for you right now! Sorting clothing is a good way to begin uncluttering. You can put aside items not suited for the season. If your clothes are out of date, or not worn any more because you like other things better, or the children’s clothes are outgrown, you know all those things can be passed along to others. Just as you can’t accomplish decluttering clothing once for all time and never have to do it again, so too you can’t declutter other things in the household once and never have to do it again. The more you practice deciding if something really is needed / used / loved in your house, the easier it becomes to do this review every so often (as your tastes and needs change). It may make it easier to not bring some things into the house in the first place, saving further effort on storing / displaying / discarding. Best wishes for building your decluttering habits!

jbeany

Nuria, I changed my goal from trying to be uncluttered to trying to remember to unclutter all the time. That way, I just keep plugging away at it and it became a habit. Much easier than looking around at my cluttered house and thinking it should all just GO AWAY. It took over a year (and a move!), but I’m really getting close. You can too! Once you get through the 7 day blast following the book, you just have to keep plugging away.

It helps to consider the “first pass” idea. It does not have to be perfect or even close, you are making a first pass. It makes decisions easier. Not ready to decide on that item, it will be there second pass. When I do it this way, it frees me up to spend only the time I have allotted. Second pass is usually more localized and thourough. Take pictures of all problem areas before you start. Then after first pass. It is great motivation to get back to it for an after picture.

pkilmain

Oh gosh yes. My “first pass” for my office is just to have papers in the right files or cubbies with their close relatives and out of the pile on my desk. Then to find homes for things that still occupy boxes on the floor – and some of those homes may be out of my house! Next round I’ll worry about the actual amount of papers in the files…..

Nuria_P

Thank you everybody for your advice! It’s true, jbeany, the secret is to remember to unclutter all the time, because I am a cluttered person, and live with cluttered people lol!
    Today I am going to do the bathroom, and even it is embarrasing, I will take photos of “before” and “after”. I have done in the past, and it is so satisfying to see the change and the progress! As my partner and kids are very messy as well (but the love it when things are tidyish), maybe I could print some of the photos and put them somewhere where they can see them and they would help me to keep things tidy.
    Pkilmain, dont tell me about boxes on the floor! My “great” idea to unclutter is to put clutter in boxes, and that is not decluttering!

lottielot

hi and welcome. Step away from those boxes!! That is the antithesis of uncluttering! My dh’s idea of tidying is putting everything into a big pile (even junk like empty envelopes). It may look better, but when the pile starts toppling… I’ve been here since September I think, and it is an ongoing process. My house still looks messy, but it has less stuff in it, and there are areas which look a million times better now because I’ve got rid of stuff and organised the rest. I think jbeany is so right about changing the mind set. That is the beauty of ATAD. Even one thing a day helps to keep the clutter level down a tiny bit, and it keeps the focus on making sure at least a tiny bit is uncluttered every single day, even when you’re tired, even when you really don’t have the willpower or the energy…And usually it’s a LOT more than one thing a day, but it keeps you accountable 🙂

Nuria_P

Yes, I will be doing ATAD right after I finish with the 7 days. Also it looks fun to post what you have got rid of!
    Today I did a very good work in our bathroom.. looks different!!! there was so much rubbish in there! Now I hope it lasts lol…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.