Home Forums Living Spaces Sentimental Clutter Greeting Cards

This topic contains 4 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Erick Clifford Erick Clifford 9 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of amaccabe
    amaccabe

Hello, I’ve just started trying to approach minimalism recently. Although my flat is always (mostly) tidy, I want to get to a point where I feel it’s always clean and low maintenance. Part of this is getting rid of “hidden” clutter – in wardrobes, drawers etc. After doing several purges I find I’m still hesitant when it comes to throwing cards away. I can purge them from distant relatives, but I can’t seem to part with ones from my parents. I also have a stack of cards from my wedding that I feel bad throwing away, even though they’re just taking up space. Any suggestions? Thanks. Amanda

Profile photo of daylily
    daylily
    Participant

Have you thought of scanning the cards and saving them digitally? Or using them to cover a special treasure box? I have saved a few to keep samples of my close family’s handwriting and have kept all of my husband’s cards to me.

Profile photo of steavehussey
    steavehussey

hmm Throwing them would be a bad practice I would suggest you to get them placed in different parts of your home where they fit better and this will be a justice to them and your emotions as well.

Profile photo of Alexandria Friedman
    Alexandria Friedman
    Participant

This is another one of those sticky questions that people have when trying to get rid of anything with “sentimental value”. A lot of greeting cards tend to come from people we maybe don’t see very often, or are linked to important times in our life. Unless you’ve really got too many of them, I think this is the sort of thing you can hang onto safely. They do make specific greeting card holders you can get for them: http://www.containerstore.com/s/gift-packaging/organizers/bigso-white-greeting-card-organizer/12d?productId=10010702

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.