Home Forums Challenges Goals December 2012

This topic contains 98 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  Ella 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

Ella

Here’s a new thread and a couple days headstart to think about and post our goals and projects for December.

Going forward from November:
    https://unclutterer.com/discuss/topic/november-2012-goals

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

15 minutes a day!!! Starting with four categories, one of which, yoga, I am already basically doing. I have many more potential categories I would love to add if I can, but if I add them from the beginning, I fear I will be setting myself up for failure. Maybe after a week or so of success.

monica

Goals December 2012

At the suggestion of another poster here I visited Brooks Palmer’s blog. He’ll be doing a series of posts until the end of the year, specific decluttering tasks. My goal is to do all of them. So far he’s on number 2 and I have done both successfully.

I can’t believe, though, something so simple as cleaning through movies and music took me so long.

Sky

Goals December 2012

monica, I love Brooks Palmer and I’m going to do his specific decluttering suggestions through the end of the year too.

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

I also enjoy Brooks Palmer’s blog, but I hadn’t seen these daily decluttering tasks, yet – very cool. I do think, though, that tackling music and movies in one day seems like a lot! Those are such emotionally charged categories (for some at least).

Sky

Goals December 2012

I think my December goal is starting The Eight Step Home Cure….when the book gets here. Also, doing extra cleaning before Christmas and getting back to working in my yard for 15 minutes a day.
    And finishing my Christmas shopping, wrapping, decorating, etc.

xhan
    Participant

Goals December 2012

My December goal is to finish all my digital file tidying and clear my boxes of craft stuff, and if I get time all the mugs and utensils from when I could afford rent (aka before I had to move back in with my parents ¬¬).

Then next year I can start on a different room – horay!

Ginger

Goals December 2012

I think this is the first time I ever participated in the monthly goals thread. I’ll give it a go.

-Sell off at least half of the collectibles left in the “sell” pile to finish raising money for a camera. It’ll be pretty cool to see a big pile of useless stuff “turn into” a little camera which I’ve been wanted for 6 months now.

-Sell my brother’s old DS for him… it has been sitting unlisted in my room for a month now.

-Finally take this giant pile of donate stuff which has been sitting in my room for 4+ months to the donation center. I don’t drive so it’s sort of a pain!

-Finish organizing and uncluttering my craft bins which are full of hobby materials I lost interest in.

-Reorganize/unclutter my bookshelf.

-Do something about the accessories in my closet. I may not complete this one this month unless the organizer I want goes on sale.

Minus maybe that last one, I really would like to get this all done before Christmas. We’ll see!

Barbs

Goals December 2012

Per Julie Morgenstern one psychological obstacle is a lack of clear goals and priorities. So I am going to list specific December goals and try to check back on a regular basis to report how it is going.

* eat down pantry
    * post to ATAD thread on a regular basis
    * post to declutter fat thread on a regular basis
    * build a morning routine through 15 minute thread
    * clean off dining room table (this is a big one I will chip away at it)

Ella

Goals December 2012

December goals:

Health – I will continue to pay myself first by prioritizing my health care every day, as I had such wonderful results in November… weight loss, lower blood sugar, good sleep, and overall improved well-being.
    – By month’s end, I want to drop 5 more pounds to reach my year-end goal on the Declutter Fat thread.
    – I’ll get there by continuing the embargo on all sweets and snacks, and diverting that money to high-quality organic protein and produce. Exception: Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, then back on the wagon Dec 26th.
    – I’ll keep walking most days, if not every day, for at least 15 minutes (but I do love those long walks for 1-2 hours, and it’s much easier now that I’m lugging less weight around)
    – Follow through on resolving the glitches in my Medicare and MediCal plans.

15 minutes – Get back on that wagon as detailed on the new 15-minute thread, and maintain consistent accountability there for a maximum of 5 tasks… paperwork, old letters, zone cleaning, ongoing clothes care (mending etc), and Italian study (this last is the easiest and therefore my starting point for Dec 1st).

Complete the final transfer of stuff from my small storage unit to my bigger one, then close the account on the small one. I hope to do this before Dec 10th while the rate is still low.

Above all, I want to end the year with my home and health in better shape than the year started. The novel idea (thanks to irishbell) of slimming down over the holidays instead of the conventional fattening up… that’s a radically new concept for me. Whoda thunk! πŸ™‚

chacha1

Goals December 2012

Ella, just wanted to say I have been so thrilled to read about your great health results. πŸ™‚

December goals:
    1) stick to the effing plan (15 minutes).
    2) learn the mambo routine for Feb. championship.
    3) publish novella #4 on Kindle.
    4) publish nov. 1-3 in paperback compilation.
    5) get Etsy store updated with new product & better photos, then I can ignore it for 1Q2013.
    6) decluttering priority: scanning at least one year’s memory book to kick off 2013 project of scanning (and shredding) all of the damn things.

herisff

Goals December 2012

Since I totally forgot my November goals, I almost hesitate to try again for this month – but I will keep it *very* simple:

I will work on importing my music CDs into iTunes, uploading album covers as necessary along the way. Looking at my piles of CDs, I really don’t have that many compared to others but it still looks daunting. My goal: 50 by the end of December; and everything by the end of 1st quarter 2013. This should be doable and not overwhelming.

Then the question becomes what to do w/ the CDs, keep or trade on Swap-A-CD? I’m not sure as yet, so in the meantime will store them off to the side until I’m done.

Meglet

Goals December 2012

I guess I missed the mention in the other thread, can somebody post a link to the blog mentioned above? I’m always looking for more de-cluttering inspiration, and the daily decluttering task sounds like it might be a good one.

As for December goals. . . hmmm. I’ll have to think about it, but I really should set some.

CDs would be a good one, though – I’d have to count them again to get a reasonable number per day or week but sorting, say, 2 shelf sections per week to re-catalog and make sure I want to keep them would get me through about half the collection, and overachiever that I am, I’d probably end up doing more than that some weeks. The more I think of it, the better that sounds, because the CD collection is one of my last “big” thinks that I’ve been putting off sorting through.

Goals December 2012

meglet: http://brooks-palmer.blogspot.com/

I’m not sure about goals for this month. Perhaps wind down the goals for this year — tie up loose ends — and get started on the right foot for next year.

(1) MAKE THE PHONE CALL to the handy couple. I don’t know why I find this so difficult. Need them to (a) repair MIL’s deck so we can sell her house (b) construct new vegetable beds for us (c) Build a carport. Not all will get done this month, but I can at least make the ^&$*# arrangements.

(2) Make progress on the garage home gym. Order the floor tiles and paint the wall.

(3) Work on the back yard while the weather is nice — still lots of rose canes to prune and general weeding and maintenance.

(4) Continue/finish the Apartment Therapy home cure.

(5) Keep on doing what I have been doing right. Reflect on the accomplishments of the past year and figure out what to continue, what to change.

djk

Goals December 2012

My December goals are simple, mostly Christmas preparation:

Send off 3 parcels (cards have to be written)
    Write and send handmade cards (already made) to all those people I’m not sending gifts to this year. I am seriously reducing gift-giving this year.
    It will just be DH, 3 siblings, and 2 friends.
    Anyone else will get a little package of homemade soap/body products as needed.

Today’s tasks will be buying our advent wreath (the Christmas huts on our street have them for 18-75 Euros, which is so crazy expensive for something that will be thrown out in a month. They are not especially nice, either. I’m at an event today, and everything will be closed for the weekend when I get home so it’s up to DH. I worry. His taste runs to orange candles.
    The next task is making our advent calendar today.

But I digress.

The remaining goals for December are:
    15 minutes a day of German, inspired by Ella. I dislike it, but it is necessary.
    Clean and reorganise under the kitchen sink.
    Dig into my closet, and sort my bookcase and craft supplies
    Say yes to invitations (I hate seeing my calendar full. It makes me panic, so my default is “sorry, can’t make it!” then I feel as though I missed out)

clutterbug22

Goals December 2012

I haven’t posted in the Goals thread for the past few months so thought it would be good to get some last minute,end of year goals noted down.

To follow the 15 min thread including paper sorting, ironing, mending pile, cleaning/decluttering rooms and PEEP.

Brookes Palmer’s current topics of decluttering a different category of clutter every day till the end of the year sounds interesting, although I think I’d probably need more than a day for some categories (eg yesterday – Fri 30th – was photos, definitely would need more than a day for that!). But it will be interesting to follow his daily categories and see how far I can get.

Will redo cleaning a different zone daily for a month following Clean Mama’s blog from this October where she did a 31 Day series based on getting the house clean in a month.

Am dipping into the 8 step Home Cure, will carry on but think I shall restart properly for the New Year.

So, the goal is to get the place ready for Christmas for a relaxed and welcoming holiday environment and getting ready for a fresh start to the New Year!

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

@Ella/@Irishbell – I am so excited about slimming down rather than fattening up over the holidays! (Oops – I didn’t write that as a goal of mine, but it is one.) I love the idea of New Years Resolutions, but so many people stuff themselves and then immediately decide to lose weight Jan 1st – why not get a bit of a head start? I want to shift what I think about as celebration – I love eating and drinking, so I don’t want to deprive myself, but celebrating should be savoring high quality, nourishing food – not all-out gluttony.

@Prof.Clutter – It sounds like you are going to have a wonderful December and I’m sorry to hear that last year was so rough. I have a question: what is #reverb10 ? Sounds intriguing.

@Susan – for some reason, phone calls are always hard for me. I laughed when I saw your goal about calling the handy couple, because that is exactly the sort of task that languishes on my to do list.

@chacha – SCAN ALL THE THINGS! πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

@clutterbug – I have had the same reaction to the Brooks Palmer posts – they sound great, but the categories seem almost impossible to tackle in one day! Maybe that means I am not as uncluttered as I think? I will most definitely read along and join in when I feel I can.

Goals December 2012

December Goals:

1. go paperlessish and digitally organized as outlined in my recent thread.
    2. fill freezer with holiday food for DF’s next visit.
    3. photograph wardrobe and read two “dressing over 40” books.
    4. admin for both my kids inc appeal SSI, have taxes and fafsa ready for early January submission.
    5. restart 8 week cure with Sky (my book hasn’t arrived yet either).

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

I do want to add that I really like Brook Palmer’s title for his series “Starting Fresh”. I do want to start 2013 fresh with a healthy home and state of mind, and so maybe that does take a little extra push in December….

clutterbug22

Goals December 2012

sleepykitten,
    yes, looking at Brookes Palmer’s blog, it looks like he doesn’t post every day so at least that’ll give us a chance to catch up!

Plus, I’ve got to see if I can carry on with ‘Fifty by friday’ till the end of the year as well! Plenty to do!!

clutterbug22

Goals December 2012

Boy, I have just quickly looked at some photos on the computer, Brookes Palmer’s decluttering area was photos yesterday. I’ve taken photos of the flat at various times in the past, a good way to make you SEE the clutter around you as your eye gets accustomed to all the junk around you. And I was shocked! They are like photos from Hoarder’s episodes. It’s still a bit of a mess but how the Dicken’s I managed to function in all the superfluous junk, I don’t know! At least it shows that things are improving, lol! It is well worth trying this tactic of photographing your living space and then see your progress a few months down the line.

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

@clutterbug – I *wish* I had taken photos of my home when I had started uncluttering! Looking back on your photos sounds like great motivation – congratulations!

canuckeh

Goals December 2012

Three month goal has leaked into December as done. Ran my first 5km run (36min/22sec). How is that related to uncluttering goals? Well, it’s helped my energy levels and given me time to think while running about what I want to change about my approach to things and reclaiming the luxury of space. Also, it’s been a good example of using an incremental approach to a larger goal, starting slow with 2 minute walk, 1 minute run, now at 10 minute run, 1 minute walk…this has shown again that I don’t need to focus on how large the overall task is, but find a way to break it down into smaller, more manageable bites.

Goals December 2012

canuckeh: wonderful! What a great accomplishment.

Netleigh

Goals December 2012

December’s goals
    Continue with Home Cure.
    Enjoy the space and visual order I’ve created so far, it’s certainly a lot more relaxing, just right to ‘settle down for a long winter’s nap’.
    Sort through this years photos on computer and delete the rubbish.

Meglet

Goals December 2012

Well, I guess I’m making “deal physical media” my goal for December. I was going to pull up my catalog software that lists all my CDs, to see how many I have and thus how many to touch each day, only to discover it’s over a year out of date. And my book and DVD catalogs are just as ancient. So, since I’ve gotten rid of SO MANY books and DVDs, it’s easier to just start those over, and I’ll do the same with CDs as I sort through them. I just have to decide if I want to make this a “15 minutes a day” task, or a “3 sections a week” task.

My other goal for December – get all this stuff for other people out of my apartment and distributed to them! Fortunately, I’ll be seeing most of them for the holidays anyway so as long as I get it all organized and boxed soon, I can just grab a box on my way to see people.

bandicoot

Goals December 2012

my husband’s milking schedule has given me the perfect opportunity to do absolutely nothing on christmas day.
    i haven’t even ordered a ham.
    i am planning a champagne brunch with eggs benedict and a pile of seasonal fruit and that is all. o i might make some eccles cakes.

i am hosting two small parties this month, and generally want the place looking nice, so i will step up the zone cleaning a fraction.

this is our busiest month work-wise, so i am very low key about personal goals in december.
    i want to keep up my 15 minute daily goals, though. yoga and meditation.

irishbell

Goals December 2012

Bandicoot- we’ve also decided on a brunch such as you have, with the addition of Swedish pancakes and perhaps some
    Sausages for those who aren’t egg lovers.
    We’ll do it in the middle if the day, instead of the huge feast we used to do at night.
    It is liberating, and our kids love the idea. We’ll easily be in our jammas and finished with Xmas by 4:00 pm.
    I can admit it, i get too tired to do the ALL DAY LONG xmas thing anymore!
    Hallelujah and Oh Holy Night!!!

Meglet

Goals December 2012

LOL @irishbell for being too tired for the ALL DAY LONG Xmas thing – normally I am too, but my brother is hosting this year (yay, all I have to do is make a couple cheesecakes, no crazy insanity at my place!) and he will do not only all day, but starting the night before and continuing to the day after. It will be exhausting, but awesome. I will be storing up energy a week in advance and crashing the day after I get home, though!

Goal progress:
    Physical media – got the first shelf of books loaded into the software. Did the first section of CDs, and that’s probably going to turn into a 3 months project. πŸ™ Books are easy, just plug in the ISBN and it’s mostly a 1-to-1 match. The CDs, their database often has multiple entries even for just a bar code, so fully 1/2 of the discs I enter have to be checked by hand. Ick.

Stuff to other people – as mentioned in the ATAD thread, I went through the spare bedroom and boxed up all the “piles” for other people, 1 box per person. Then wrote their names on the outside, and stacked them up neatly. I won’t see most of them til around Christmas, but I did put a shipping label on the box for my dad and set it by the door to go out next time I feel like dealing with the Post Office. One out, 3 to go!

herisff

Goals December 2012

Update: Wow – I had no idea that my CD project would go so fast. I’m already at 40 CDs and my goal was 50 by the end of December. While there was a delay when I had no phone/internet access for a day, it’s going very quickly. When I’m waiting for laundry or something to cook, I’ll upload a CD. Once done uploading, if iTunes doesn’t have an album cover I’ll scan it in and attach it to the tracks. There are a few odd quirks, but as long as I check after every album they are easily fixable. I keep a stack of 5 discs on my desk, so it’s not in the way too much. And I find myself loading a disc while checking email, checking forums, and doing other computer-related stuff.

I may be able to get to my audio books by the end of the year!

canuckeh

Goals December 2012

Absolutely love Bandicoot’s plans for Christmas day. Goals for December: work on core strength, stretching, swimming and 5km distance. With all that ‘feel good’ energy, carry on with streamlining and moving items out as donations, finish paperwork backlog before year-end.

mdfloyd

Goals December 2012

Here goes: actually make more cookies to send to friends for the holidays rather than just thinking about it, finally gather up all those LPs I haven’t listened to in over five years and sell them, catch up on all my laundry, make a menu plan for two weeks and actually prepare and freeze the meals rather than just thinking about it, spend less time on Facebook and the internet!

Meglet

Goals December 2012

Goal progress: half a section of CDs cataloged last night, another 2 half sections (did them in 2 stacks) cataloged tonight. I most definitely need to stick to only half a section per time, more than that and I start getting aggravated at the catalog software for not just matching up the things it should match up. Only another day or two left before I hit the limit of the trial version and have to purchase or switch to books or DVDs. (I’ll purchase all 3 versions of the software eventually, but they’re not cheap so I’d like to space them out a bit. Have to decide which one I want to get first.)

mdfloyd

Goals December 2012

Got the cookies made and mailed out.

Ella

Goals December 2012

Not quite the end of the first week, but I’m posting my report anyway:

– I did my 15-minute task every day without fail. (I wasn’t 100% sure I would, so this feels good.) I’ll add a second task for the second week.
    – An hour-long appointment today cleared up all the persnickety glitches in my Medicare/Medi-Cal coverage, and everything is now as good as can be.
    – I’ve held steady to my vow of zero sweets or snacks. Weight is holding steady too, darn it. This plateau has lasted a week, but I shall persevere.
    – Average blood sugar readings have dropped another 10 points.
    – Sleep continues to be long and deep and sweet, aided by the audiobook.

ninakk

Goals December 2012

My only real project this month is to set goals, scope, estimate, and plan for 2013. I’m halfway through scope and estimate now.

bandicoot

Goals December 2012

you know the tiler i have been waiting patiently for since the end of february?
    he is coming next week.
    i had five days notice.
    my first task is to bag up every item of clothing and linen, to box all the books and to move every stick of furniture out of the office (also my wardrobe) and bedroom (also half the bathroom). and where all the books live. and the woodstove, with it’s fireplace tools.
    the bed has to be dismantled and moved onto the verandah. chests of drawers will move into the living room. the filing cabinet location will take some thought. i don’t want to leaveit out on the verandah.
    pre-unclutter, this would have filled me with absolute horror….but right now, it will be the work of a morning.
    when he gets to the kitchen, i hope he moves fast….i don’t want to set up the camp kitchen outside again.
    we will just have to manage on fruit and raw nuts and very simple salads and grills for a few days.

the wet season is about to begin at any minute….this will add a layer of stress, not to mention red mud.
    but in my mind i can imagine my entire floor, inside and out, covered in huge big charcoal tiles with almost invisible grout lines….it is totally worth it.
    bye bye gross ugly cheap mismatched tile!
    bye bye raw and stained concrete that is 30+ years old!
    hellloooo porcelain.

djk

Goals December 2012

Fantastic! You do know before and after photos will be required, don’t you?

Goals December 2012

Bandicoot, I am SO excited for you. we had a major tiling job done about 12 years ago and although it was a mess, it proceeded quickly and the results were fabulous.

A week into December already! I think I am going to shift/add to my priorities a bit and try to get the garage gym as completed as much as possible in time for BFF’s visit — she arrives January 17th. So far this month I have assembled the bench, order the floor tiles (which have already arrived) and just today ordered the needed piece of equipment, a “total gym.” Painting the wall is the next big step. There are a few things I have to rely on DH for (I asked him to build two shelves — it’s just rough lumber, not a hard job — in JUNE and he hasn’t done it yet) and the big pile of lumber, although diminished (he moved some of it to the attic!) is still in the way. I really need at least one more electrical outlet to prevent dangerous cord clutter and I will better more lighting, but that can wait.

All else is on track except I haven’t made the ^$(! phone call to the handy couple yet. Today (maybe.)

mdfloyd

Goals December 2012

New goal — I love my Cook’s Illustrated magazines, but I rarely look at them after I’ve read them cover to cover the first time. I’ve decided to go through them and scan whatever recipes catch my eye, then donate ’em all to the library!

chacha1

Goals December 2012

mdfloyd, if you subscribe to Cook’s Illustrated, you should be able to register on their site and get access to the full archive, including all those recipes, online. πŸ™‚

mdfloyd

Goals December 2012

Thanks, chacha1. I’ll check that out, though CI has weird “rules” about their videos and so on, with strict limits on time to access. I was amazed at how few recipes I wanted to take the effort and time to scan and save — now I have a LOT of room on a shelf of my bookcase. Yeah!

mdfloyd

Goals December 2012

Yeah, I just checked. The online version of Cook’s Illustrated is completely separate from the printed subscription, and they’re charging around $35 a year for online access. Which is another bill I don’t need.

pkilmain

Goals December 2012

Oh yeah, I love Cook’s Illustrated too, and had a subscription for awhile. But it was annoying that I could not access the website as a subscriber. Grrr. Cooking Light, which I get now lets you access its website, plus you can download a digital copy on the iPad.

luxcat

Goals December 2012

@bandicoot- good luck with your tiling project! hope the rain holds off until it’s all done and set and dry. it will look great!

herisff

Goals December 2012

Goal Met: All 123 music CDs are imported to iTunes and album covers attached. I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it went. Tedious, quite tedious at times, but the visible progress as CDs disappeared off my desk was quite encouraging. And since laundry & cooking entail a fair bit of down time, ripping CDs filled the gaps quite nicely (at the expense of cleaning, however). I still have the audio books to do, but I don’t have very many of those, and they can wait until I’m in the mood (maybe January?).

The ease and speed of this long-delayed project makes me think that scanning in my photos could also be handled this way – snuck in between everyday tasks and handled on a gradual basis. Maybe next year I’ll finally get rid of the pile of photo albums on the table?

lottielot

Goals December 2012

I know it’s December 15th, but I have had a decorator unexpectedly become available for next week. Our loft and ds1’s bedroom are due to be painted. So my goal of sorting out these rooms has rocketed up the priority list! I spent half a day tidying ds1’s room so the decorator could actually get in the €>#^?ing door…The furniture can be moved to the centre of his room but I need to box up all the books first so the bookshelves can be moved. Ditto the lift, though there is a lot more crap up there. I asked dh if I can throw out his magazines (there must be 100 at least) and he said he ‘wasn’t interested in talking about it’. Sigh. I think I will bag them up, shove them in my car and if he doesn’t object after a few weeks then take them to the tip. He is infuriating πŸ™
    I’ve also started researching PhD ideas and supervisors πŸ™‚ I’ve been very slothful the last few months, but hopefully the boredom is now pushing me to be motivated to do stuff…

clutterbug22

Goals December 2012

Hi, Lottielot, nice to see you posting again. Hope finishing the Masters wasn’t too stressful.
    Good Luck with the decorating, not the best timing what with Christmas and kids and good luck with dh’s magazines! Mind you, I’ve got loads myself so I can talk (plus I want keep them for reference but there you go!)

clutterbug22

Goals December 2012

Double post!

Goals December 2012

Exceeded an annual goal today — we went on a 10K walk in Gonzales, a small town about 65 miles from here — which made 51 walks for the year and 505K. My goal for the year was to do 25 10K walks, so I’ve more than doubled that — and we have four more scheduled through the end of the year. We are having so much fun with this!

Moved everything away from the garage wall that needs to be painted and washed it down, filled the nastiest holes. It’s ready to be painted Monday. Will badger DH to add those two shelves to the wall unit and shave down the shims under the cabinet — and then I can lay down the cushioned tile and set up the gym equipment — maybe next week it will be done, except for the electrical upgrade πŸ™‚

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

I love your 25 10K walk goal – that sounds like so much fun! Do you do “formal” 10K’s or do you just pick an afternoon and walk with a pedometer until you hit 10K?

Goals December 2012

sk: we joined AVA, the American Volkssport Association, a branch of IVV, Internationaler Volkssportverband. They are non-competitive walks. About one in four (for us) have been “events,” where it’s a one-day thing, you sign it at a specified place between 9 and 11 am and are handed a map. Lots of people walking, but not together. The rest are year-round events — you go to a place (restaurant, hotel lobby, even a laundromat once!) and ask for the walk box, which has all the needed maps and rubber stamps in it. There are almost 2,000 of these in the US alone. You can get log books to track your distance and events, and there are special books — walking in each of the 50 states, walking in each of the state capitals, walking in a US city starting with each letter of the alphabet, etc. We’re starting one in January — we have two years to walk 15 different civil war battlefields, which may be easy for someone living in the US south, but there are only two walks in Texas (Galveston & Corpus Christi) so it will mean some traveling for us. It’s great fun — you connect in a different way with a place when you are on foot, and these walks usually take us through some residential neighborhoods in addition to the main drag where tourists usually go.

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

@SIT: Interesting!

I walk all the time, since I don’t have a car – walking is a primary form of transport. But I usually walk the same places…

I love the idea of semi-secret walk boxes with maps and rubber stamps! That would be perfect for when we travel. Going to google it now!

djk

Goals December 2012

I also love that idea, Susan.
    We’re all too random about our walking, although we enjoy it. DH hates structure and plans with passion, so I doubt I could get him to commit to such a thing, though.

irishbell

Goals December 2012

Yes, lottielot- Great to see you once again!

Ella

Goals December 2012

Time for my mid-month report. I’m on target for all my goals, can hardly believe it! Specifically…

Health:
    – I have faithfully stuck to my vow of no sweets/no snacks this month. I’ve dropped 2 pounds and have 3 more pounds to go by the New Year. It’ll be a push to lose those 3 in the next 16 days, but I am determined!
    – I’m enjoying my (almost daily) walks now that I’ve lost some poundage and built up a bit of muscle and endurance. It’s much easier to move at a brisk clip instead of trudging wearily.
    – My sleep is excellent, aided by the audiobook. I’m beginning to feel refreshed when I wake up instead of like the walking dead.
    – My blood sugar has dropped steadily and is getting close to the high-end of normal.

15 minutes:
    – I’ve faithfully kept my commitment of 15 minutes each day, adding new tasks incrementally… first week Italian, second week Italian + clothes care, and now third week Italian + clothes care + zone cleaning.

Storage:
    – I decluttered enough stuff to be able to complete the transfer from the small storage unit to the big one, and then I closed the account on the small one, thus saving $100/month henceforward.

Ending the year better:
    – Instead of waiting for a fresh start in January and letting things slide until then (as I’ve always done in past years), this time I’ve given myself a headstart with taking better care of health and home now. Though they are all very small changes, they’re adding up to improved well-being, which is the best gift I can give myself.

lottielot

Goals December 2012

I spent 4 hours uncluttering the loft. There was a ginormous amount of dust and I am thoroughly unimpressed with dh and his inability to ever throw anything out or put anything anywhere other than in a pile. I’ve always avoided dealing with this space as he is so protective of it, but at least a lot of stuff has now been bagged up for getting rid of. I’m past caring whether he wants those magazines now, they are going! All the furniture is piled into the middle of the room so the decorator can access it all. Dh is going to be in a right strop over it all but it’s only a few days and the room will look much nicer, 11 years of dust and mucky handprints is not a great look!

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

From Ella’s update: “Instead of waiting for a fresh start in January and letting things slide until then (as I’ve always done in past years), this time I’ve given myself a headstart”

Exactly! While I am excited for January 1st, this is the first year I haven’t allowed January 1st to be a procrastination tool. I’ve also given myself a big head start in terms of weight loss, exercise, and uncluttering both physical and digital clutter.

chacha1

Goals December 2012

I solved Christmas shopping by just not doing any. Sent a gift card to my uncle who had his 75th birthday this year, and a “your home on map” jigsaw puzzle to my sister. My parents are getting a box of passed-on books. DH is getting a trip to San Francisco. I quit. πŸ™‚

Completed: no. 2, learn the mambo routine. Got that done with our coach last night.

Postponed: no. 5, get Etsy store updated. Realized I had jury duty, then trip to SF, then vacation in San Diego. Shut it down for the holidays, and will address mid-January.

No. 1, stick to the effing plan: so far so good, despite being sick as an effing dog for almost all of December to date.

Goals December 2012

Midmonth update:

1. go paperlessish and digitally organized. (in progress)
    2. fill freezer with holiday food for DF’s next visit. (in progress)
    3. photograph wardrobe and read two “dressing over 40” books. (unstarted)
    4. admin for both my kids inc appeal SSI, have taxes and fafsa ready for early January submission. (DONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
    5. restart 8 week cure. (done)

Hansi

Goals December 2012

I got 2 moving boxes out full with stuff and one furniture (a sideboard). I didn’t think I had so much stuff to get rid of. What has happened?
    It seems that I have reached a breaking point where my goals are fluid and everyday I set new goals for me to make me further in developing me as a person.
    I did not know I didn’t need these things until I started getting rid of them.
    I saw some inspiring texts on the internet and that helped me to find new goals and solutions.

I hope to still get some stuff crammed in those boxes I have 2 more days until they are to be delivered to someone who needs the things better than me. Merry christmas everyone.

chacha1

Goals December 2012

“I did not know I didn’t need these things until I started getting rid of them.”

Hansi, that should be the tagline for this whole forum. πŸ™‚

Sky

Goals December 2012

I’ll second that. A great sentence.

chacha1

Goals December 2012

no. 6 DONE. Went through Aug 1997-Dec 1998 scrapbooks (representing first 15 mo of relationship with DH). Hundreds of pages of miscellany sorted out to shred or trash. 13 pages (13!!) scanned. Small Acco binder of love notes/cards retained, also Word document containing many emails we would not want anyone else to read LOL.

Amazing how much one can get done when one is feeling too crappy to go to the office, and also so pissed off about still being sick that one is compelled to do something Useful.

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

After crossing off a lot of tasks both at work and on the “get ready for the holidays” lists, I was getting confused at where I really was at, so I just brainstormed a list of all the loose ends I would (ideally) like to tie up in December if I can. While I don’t expect I’ll be able to totally finish the “ideal project wrap-up list”, I will have a bit of time off work, and I want to give it a try. So that list of a bunch of little things constitutes my new December goal.

Goals December 2012

I should have the garage gym, which I started planning at the beginning of the summer, as finished as possible by the end of the week. The next goal, of course, will be to start using it. And to clean out the other half of the garage. It never ends.

s

Goals December 2012

Chacha, wish I had that “compelled to do something Useful” feeling more often. Mostly, I just get sleepy, and take a nap!

lottielot

Goals December 2012

S: I usually get the nap feeling too!
    Chacha1: sorry you’re poorly, good call on the presents though!
    Well the loft is neatly done, I will put everything back there tonight. I went to the tip with all the magazines and rubbish so that’s all gone πŸ™‚ I’m not sure ds1’s room will be done before tomorrow so I will ask him to come back rather than to start it. Dh is still unbelievably grumpy about the whole thing but he’ll be ok when order is restored and the room looks good! I still have PhD stuff to investigate. Next year we’re thinking about building work downstairs. Sigh…

chacha1

Goals December 2012

No. 3 DONE. Uploaded novella #4 for Kindle Direct today.

clutterbug22

Goals December 2012

sleepykitten,
    I think I will join you in having a ‘tying up loose ends’ list to try to finish before the end of the month. I’m not going to include anything too time-consuming, just a list of small, niggly tasks that I’ve been putting off doing that I’ll try to accomplish. Some of these things have been on my ‘To-do’ list for too long and I really don’t want to carry them over to the next year! That would be too ridiculous!

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

@clutterbug – I know, right? The longer tasks sit on the to-do list, the “heavier” they seem to get. I don’t need that mental weight in 2013!

clutterbug22

Goals December 2012

sleepykitten, guess what? I’ve actually accomplished 3 ‘overdue’ tasks today!

Phoned up dd’s school uniform suppliers to enquire about a refund due to me from, ahem, August! They’ve passed that onto the Finance dept so at least it’s in the system. Been meaning to phone for ages.

Picked up dd’s photos from the developers, these were ready in November.

Deposited a cheque before it’s expiry date run out (a special one with a shorter life span than the normal ones) so don’t have to worry about that being in on time now.

That feels better!

Barbs

Goals December 2012

Review

* eat down pantry – good progress here and some ideas are forming to improve
    the system
    * post to ATAD thread on a regular basis – did it and it is making a difference
    * post to declutter fat thread on a regular basis – need to step this up in January
    * build a morning routine through 15 minute thread – need to step this up in
    January
    * clean off dining room table (this is a big one I will chip away at it) – I hope
    to get this finished this weekend

lottielot

Goals December 2012

The loft is finally finished, vacuumed and all the furniture put back. It feels soooooo much nicer in there without piles of CRAP everywhere! Dh is still grumpy about it having been done, but I’m sure he must feel it looks loads better without holes in the plaster and piles of magazines and random junk. I certainly prefer it, though it smells of paint in there still.
    Ds1’s bedroom will be done after Christmas, giving me a few weeks to box up his books to go elsewhere so we can move the bookshelves.

Meglet

Goals December 2012

Bother. Got distracted and haven’t been cataloging my media (CDs, movies, etc) on a regular basis – AKA at all – and won’t get that done for December. Will have to move it on to January, I guess.

However, I did get rid of ALL the OPS that I’d been storing! OPS = Other People’s Stuff, and I loaded it all up in the car with the Christmas presents, and dropped it all off as I visited friends & family over the holiday. Yay!

Since I didn’t make much progress on the media, I’m adding a mini-goal for the last 3 days – finish getting my “keeper” stuff out of the spare bedroom. There’s not much left in there, mostly some bags in the closet (I have a bag problem πŸ˜€ but I also have a plan for them) and a few storage bins, and a couple small piles of stuff to sort. If I just do one group at a time, I might be able to finish it by the new year.

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

@Meglet – Yay for getting rid of other people’s stuff!

Everyone on this forum is soooo productive – I know we talk about procrastination and feeling down/depressed and not getting all our goals done – but everyone still accomplishes so much!

I’m thinking through January goals, now…I have some resolutions for the year as a whole and then I think I might also have some shorter-term goals that can be broken up month by month.

Goals December 2012

Oh… Just realized I didn’t really finish my December goals.
    1. paperless goal is ongoing. I’m getting a new computer, which complicates matters slightly.
    2. I did fill the freezer and we’re now eating our way through it.
    3. photograph wardrobe – I guess this is now a January goal.
    4. admin for both my kids – did this.
    5. restart 8 week cure – started, but stalled over the holidays and DF’s visit.

Goals December 2012

Three days left in the year. I am actually a bit ahead of myself this month (except for making the phone call to the handy couple — jeesh!)
    (1) The home gym is essentially finished, except for a few minor touches.
    (2) I finished the home cure and am debating whether to sign up for the “official” cure in January. It is probably too soon. I also have made progress in moving DH’s office out of the master bedroom and into the guest bedroom. I’ve eliminated the need for an entire bookshelf in my own office, relocated two others, and now have room for the futon couch here. I will experiment a bit with that — and consult with BFF who is flying in for a 4-day visit next month — to see what configuration will work best as a substitute guest room. He’ll still need convincing.
    (3) Did quite a bit of yard work — still more to do. As the weather changes, the yard chores stack up. Leaves. Branches. You know.
    (4) Added 4 fifteen minute daily chores — garage, paperwork, yard and “detailing” the house. It’s helping.

So, by the end of the year, I hope to:
    (1) Catalog about 15 books that I will be donating to the work library — and put in my car for delivery next time I’m there.
    (2) Move the couch into my office — requires DH’s help and concurrence.
    That’s not too hard.

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

@Susan – CALL THE HANDY COUPLE! πŸ™‚

Also, I didn’t realize there was an “official” home cure starting in January…I didn’t quite make it through the cure – got busy/distracted – so maybe I should try again…except I have a lot planned for January already. Hmmm….

lucy1965

Goals December 2012

Hooray for Susan — and what kitten said: call the handy couple!

Meglet

Goals December 2012

@sleepykitten – yay indeed. Then I ended up starting another OPS pile yesterday. Oops!

I’m planning to start the “official” January cure, I haven’t done one before and my big photography project ends Jan 1, freeing up a LOT of time, so I’m looking forward to it.

Barbs

Goals December 2012

End of Month Review:

* eat down pantry – progress but I don’t have a good place for a pantry. I
    don’t think I’m going to worry too much about that right now – just
    concentrate on not overstocking.

* post to ATAD thread on a regular basis – did it to a degree and it is
    helping. I can’t post every day but I seem to be constantly getting rid
    of stuff

* post to declutter fat thread on a regular basis – need to step this up in
    January

* build a morning routine through 15 minute thread – need to step this up in
    January

* clean off dining room table (this is a big one I will chip away at it) – I
    got this done on Christmas Day. Cleaned with Murphy’s Oil Soap. Set the
    table with place mats/coasters/Xmas glasses. It looked great. 15 minutes
    later DH threw a newspaper on it. I’m going to declare Victory.

sleepykitten

Goals December 2012

Great job, @Barbs! If you are continuously getting rid of stuff, it doesn’t matter if it is literally every day – you’ll get there.

Ella

Goals December 2012

End-of-month report…
    Health:
    – as promised, I paid myself first with healthy eating, no snacking, no sweets (except Christmas), good solid sleep, and lots of long wonderful walks
    – dropped 2 more pounds (the goal was 5, but oh well… I’m thrilled about the 2!)
    – blood sugar readings are lower, wow!
    – got through all the complicated paperwork for Medicare/MediCal

15 minutes:
    – fizzled out after adding too many tasks too soon… will try, try again in January

Storage:
    – finally closed out my small storage unit, hooray and whew

All in all, I feel like I’m ending the year in a better place: home, health, and spirit.

Meglet

Goals December 2012

Goal update:

*Media cataloging – not done, barely any progress. This one goes back on the to-do list.
    *Deliver the OPS boxes – done! (then started new ones. Oops. At least this time they’re small and can be shipped cheaply.)
    *Finish getting my “keeper” stuff out of the spare bedroom – mostly done. Had to store some Christmas decorations in that closet for now, and need to sort a few more things on one of the shelves, but the bags and bins and piles have all been sorted and moved to new homes in the rest of the apartment, which will translate nicely to the 1 bedroom when I get it. (Fingers crossed one comes up in the next 10 days as other people’s leases expire.)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.