Home Forums Living Spaces Clothing Closets Furoshiki is great !!! Want to share with all of you

This topic contains 17 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  lgmost 2 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

lgmost

The idea of japanese furoshiki is great, both environmental friendliness and usefulness.

They can be folded into purses and bags for ladies. They can become shopping bags too. They are easy to keep and girls can change to different style very easily instead of buying handbags.

ArtGal

Furoshiki is great !!! Want to share with all of you

I LOVE THIS!!!
    Here is a How-To link for techniques:

http://furoshiki.com/techniques

lgmost

Thanks for the link^^

vjb

YEAH! Furoshiki! I just started getting into this! I love it. ๐Ÿ˜€

lgmost

One more pic, very pretty wrapping.

In Korea, it’s called “bojagi”.

SunshineR

Very, very pretty, functional and elegant. Receiver could reuse or gift the fabric to someone else as a wrapper…?

Rosa

Yeah, SunshineR – I stopped wrapping gifts in furoshiki when my last cloth failed to come back to me. I think some of my friends are hoarding them ๐Ÿ™

The nice thing about the Furoshiki is that often the receiver opens the gift and hands back the wrapping, so you haven’t just given them excess packaging to get rid of.

SunshineR

This is a great idea, with reusing the fabric. I guess my main concern would be a cultural one (?!?); how to tell if the giver of the gift wants you to keep the fabric, or hand it back. Some folks may be outwardly very polite and gracious, but hold back their wishes.

I do want to try this Furoshiki idea sometime.

lucy1965

@SunshineR My SIL is Japanese; I can ask her what the recipient’s meant to do with the cloth.

pkilmain

I love it, and as most of my friends are quilters, I would consider the fabric as part of their gift and not expect it back…..

SunshineR

Thanks for the info! I do know a few people who have traveled to South Korea and they brought back cloth which was already made into items such as a kimono, a bedcover, and a Western-style wedding dress (in ivory-colored raw silk, with lace).

I saw a travel show on TV recently and it featured beautiful silk fabrics, telling where to go outside of the usual city area. I believe it was about a city in China. As if I will be able to afford to go there anytime soon…

bandicoot

i’ve been a big fan of furoshiki for the past few years.
    it’s just so practical.
    i wrap the wine or book or soap or whatever and i have no expectations either way.
    the receiver can give me back the cloth, in which case, it will live another day as a gift wrap….or they can use it themselves on the next thing they give to someone.

i’ve used a sarong folded up to make a nifty tote bag in a pinch, whilst travelling.
    you just cannot beat a sarong for handiness and versatility….but it was furoshiki technique!
    o and i once used a vintage hermes scarf to make an evening bag in an emergency…but i am not the millionaire to be giftwrapping things in hermes!

JuliaJayne

If someone gave me a gift wrapped in fabric, I’d feel compelled to keep and reuse the fabric.
    ๐Ÿ™

SunshineR

BTW, what happened to the Hermes scarf? Was it intended to be permanently gifted? I’m not savvy with spotting designer names on things like scarves.

bandicoot

i didn’t gift wrap with the hermes… i made an evening bag out of it using a furoshiki wrap technique!
    to clarify: it was my scarf to begin with.

Julia

bandicoot, I like your style!

SunshineR

Bandicoot: wow!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.