Home Forums Before and After Fun Things To Do With Empty Space :)

This topic contains 48 replies, has 28 voices, and was last updated by  Swede 7 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

ArtGal

Since I’ve been uncluttering and simplifying for some time now I am finding more and more empty shelves, drawers, etc…don’t get me wrong, I think this is a good thing, and I’ve worked hard at it for years!

But often, when people come over, someone will usually say something like, “Oh, that space would look nice with a candle arrangement of some kind,” or “Are you moving?” or “I know a great interior decorator.”

It doesn’t bother me, but I do enjoy coming up with humorous replies to their questions and suggestions…nothing mean, just silly. For instance, my pat response to a question like that is to go into an art theory explaining why we “Leave the space blank for living sculptures to appear and disappear”…(that would be the cat!) Or how I am “Saving the space for emergencies”…(this gets quite a puzzled look from the questioner.)

Anybody have any good ones?

ojorojo

Fun Things To Do With Empty Space πŸ™‚

How about: That’s where I plan to put the new jacuzzi!
    Or: cats are so small, I’m looking for a bigger pet…

Sky

That’s where I’m putting my ex husbands ashes….and the gun.

Yes, you’re right; No; Yes you do.

jbeany

For the candle space – “I’m saving it for the perfect piece of artwork and I refuse to fill it until I find exactly what I want.” Could take twenty years, but hey, you have the space!

How about – “The cat likes to sit there, and she pushes everything off of it if we store anything there. It’s easier to leave it empty than to keep picking things up.” Mine has done this….

JuliaJayne

“I’m getting ready to paint”. If the next time they visit and say something about not painting, you can ask if they would like to help. That should shut them up. πŸ™‚

chacha1

The only really obvious empty space we have is our living room. It’s our dance floor. πŸ™‚

The poltergeist keeps moving stuff from there.

Ella

Love JuliaJayne’s solution! LOL

ArtGal

These are great…I will be using them this weekend when the relatives come over!!!! πŸ™‚ Thanks!
    Keep ’em coming…I need an arsenal of quips πŸ™‚

Anonymous

“This is where we put the flux capacitor” (Back to the Future reference)

jbeany

“It’s more Zen that way, don’t you think? I’m really getting inspired by the artist value of negative space.” That ought to confuse them for a bit.

As for the “I know a great interior designer.” back-handed insult, I’d have a hard time not smiling sweetly and asking, “Really? When are you going to hire her?”

luxcat

***chokes laughing***

Jackthetiger

Ask if they are getting treatment for their horror vacui (aka cenophobia) from the Latin for “fear of empty space”. Tell them you have heard of an excellent psychiatrist if they are willing to confront their fears.

Maybe tell them that the artwork on those shelves cost a fortune and there is one by the same artist in the National Gallery.

Or just go with Sky’s suggestion.

NYCPakRat

poltergeist! priceless!

Astreja
    Participant

“That’s not an empty space — Carl Sagan’s dragon is sitting there.”

snosie

‘I’m admiring the paint/woodwork/wallpaper I spent so long deciding on’

lottielot

‘I’m giving the other stuff room to breathe’
    ‘it’s my first step along the path to monkhood. Ommmmm’
    ‘I just prefer my house with less crap in it, how about you?’

JuliaJayne

I’m evolving into a higher being who doesn’t need a home filled with retail crap to feel good about herself.”

happymonkey

“Last time I was in your house, it made me want to run right home and get rid of useless crap.” πŸ™‚

ninakk

Love you guys, you are completely crazy, all of you! I feel in good company πŸ˜€

Well, just about any physical exercise that requires more than a yoga mat can be used as explanation. chacha suggests a dance floor, obviously, but I can think of the other “dance”, pole dancing, that a newbie would be anxious to practice at home if there were a zillion things around. You might of course not want to mention this one if they are very prudish.

happymonkey, yours was rather wacko, but I love it. Sometimes rude people (even if they didn’t mean it as such) need a wake-up call.

lucy1965

Following Astreja: “That’s where I keep my collection of Celestial Teapots.”

lottielot

Ooh, pole dancing, that would definitely shut them up!

happymonkey

ninakk, my comment would be reserved only for those who are really, truly rude and boorish in their comments. My brother, for instance — a hoarder of gargantuan proportions — used to make comments every time he came to my house: “You need to put something on your walls.” “Your walls look too bare — you need to do something with them.” “I don’t know how you can live with your walls so bare.” Etc., etc., etc. This was a house that was NOT minimalist in any way. The walls had plenty of lovely things on them, just not enough to suit his hoarder ways. Drove.me.freakin’.crazy.

Claycat

I leave the bottom shelf of my bookcases open for my cats, and sometimes I put towels there for them to sleep on. They love enclosed spaces like that!

For a good excuse, you could say you were practicing crop rotation or leaving that shelf to lie fallow for a year! πŸ™‚

ojorojo

My Feng Shui consultant recommended a complete home detox!

ArtGal

CROP ROTATION!!!!!!! Bahahahahahahahah, LOVE IT! πŸ™‚

Love them all!
    I think I will print this list and when something is said (and it WILL be), I will walk over to it, pick a comment, and read it aloud with gusto!!! Wheeeeeeeeeeee!

Sky

You all are so funny! I love this blog.

luxcat

I have never felt the lack of a “like” button so much as I did reading these posts in this thread.

bandicoot

wonderful responses!

lottielot

We want an update on how they went down after the weekend πŸ™‚

arthelemis

It’s not an empty space, it’s an conceptual art installation… πŸ˜›

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/739922847/museum-of-non-visible-art-praxis-and-james-franco

Rosa

Happymonkey, I have that same experience with hoarder friend – she is aesthetically pleased by the piles/overstuffed/every surface covered look. It’s not just a “can’t see mess” thing – just when I think some shelf or corner of my house is overfull and needs purging/relocating, she notices it and says “that looks really cute, I like how you have that set up”.

ArtGal

UPDATE!!!

…the day started as expected…(keep in mind that all of them are severe hoarders in some manner.)

Mom comes in, wrinkles her nose at my lack of window treatments (she likes blinds, drapes, sheers and 25 hundred knick-knacks all in one window; I just have sheers) and says, “I think Kohl’s is having a sale on drapes this weekend.” I let that one go πŸ™‚

Grandmother comes in, slips me $20.00 and says, “You need throw pillows.” I let that one go because she means well and is elderly…and I put the $20.00 back in her purse later. πŸ™‚

Auntie comes in and says “Well, you can tell an artist lives here.” Again, elderly, and I’m taking that one as a compliment. πŸ™‚

Brother comes in, “You need new cabinets, I can make those for you. You also need new steps, I can make those for you. You need to paint, I can do that for you.” This all sounds very nice, except that he’s been saying things like this for 20 years (in front of company only) and NEVER has followed through on any of his most lovely suggestions. My reply, “I’m painting Sunday, as a matter of fact, come on over!” It’s Monday now…no brother πŸ™

Then it started with a frenzy…”you need to do this, you need to do that, that looks strange, you need some artificial plants, you need to get a real job, why is your bathroom orange, why doesn’t your rug match anything, is your stove broken (I made a raw foods dinner,) did your 2nd-grade students help you with that”…and on and on and on.

But I had you wonderful folks in my pocket (I copied this thread, memorized it, and folded it and stuck it in my pocket for strength πŸ™‚ I know that they are not going to change…and thankfully, they are not here often, but it was nice to have an ammunition of words to fall back on. THANK YOU!!! πŸ™‚

lucy1965

Hooray! You stayed calm and found the funny side of their criticisms; I’m so pleased that we were able to help!

Sky

Wow, just wow….

lottielot

Wow, your entire family sound just like my mum!! Well done for standing strong under an assault like that πŸ™‚

ninakk

It’s amazing how people don’t have inhibition. “People” are usually family… Speaking of pole dancing: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-kRaR8yfqg&feature=player_embedded[/video] (she’s Finnish and won the Pole World Cup 2011, but no, not all of us are in such good shape)

happymonkey

@ArtGal: “You need some artificial plants” ????? O.M.G.!!!!! I’d have burst out laughing at that one!

jbeany

Hurray ArtGal! I’m with happymonkey – I’m ROTFLMAO at the artificial plants!

Love the pole dancing routine, and just wish I was that athletic! (She doesn’t strip, if anyone was worried it was going to be to over the top for them. It’s really just gymnastics routine on very, very tall pole!)

I am wondering if the discussion about pole dancing is responsible for the very spicy corset ads I’m getting on the screen with this post, though!

I will put in a vote for Grandma’s throw pillows though – I use mine to prop up my book or my snack tray all the time. (Which, of course, makes them a useful item, not a decoration.)

bandicoot

artgal, that was hilarious!
    what an onslaught!
    and beautifully handled.

ArtGal

My new mantra is “when the circus comes to town, grab some popcorn, sit back, and watch the show!” (And yes, I popped some popcorn and had it on the counter ready…hee, hee! πŸ™‚

Mimi

aww, artgal, poor you, i know the feeling, my family is like yours. congratulations on being calm and friendly after so many attacks.

@all: your answers are veryvery funny!

i should also carry them with me to replace my my standard-reaction, a friendly: “i like it like that!”

Sky

I’m glad some of you thought my ‘ashes and gun’ comment was funny. After I posted it I wondered if it was rude.

Swede

Hahaha, love this thread! I normally tell people I need that space for thinking and/or breathing. No matter if it’s an empty wall or a window. Normally it confuses them enough to leave them quiet.

@ninakk – I happen to be training pole dancing (so much fun!! but very hard). You definitely can’t have anything fragile even close to your pole. It’s pretty hard seeing exactly where your feet are when you’re hanging upside down consentrating on not falling on your head. πŸ™‚ Broke my ceiling lamp that way. Hehe. My apt looks pretty cheap at the moment with a sofa, a stool, a bed and a pole. Hahaha. But it helped when I became temporary blind due to eye infection. Nothing to walk in to or break. πŸ™‚

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.