This topic contains 7 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  Sophie 8 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

ninakk

Hey, I was wondering whether you’d like to share your story on how you went professional? What kind of a background do you have? I’ve been toying with the idea of trying it out on a small scale, but seem to lack confidence that my experience from my own home and immediate surroundings would be enough, so my next question is, do you have some type of degree supporting you? Psychology, economics, etc.? Thanks in advance!

Mrs.Mack

From hobby to profession

Professional… in what? Uncluttering?

Most of us are “nobodies” just trying to get a handle on our own things. There are a few professional organizers in the bunch, but they’re not the majority by any means.

If you mean just taking any hobby and making a living off of it, well, what you would need to do would depend entirely on what the hobby is.

In other words, you need to be a little more specific with your question.

EDIT: Ah, I see you’ve put this question under the professional organizer section. Well, hope someone can answer your question.

Claycat

From hobby to profession

ninakk

From hobby to profession

Yes, Mrs. Mack, it was actually a question directed at those who do organize home professionally. I seriously seem to have a hang for it when it comes to other people’s homes and have a much better grip at asking the right questions as well, but my own poor house is another subject entirely. All my emotions are tied to it, which in my humble opinion makes it so much harder to view as objectively as possible. Hope there’s someone out there who can help 😀

trillie, I haven’t heard of the page you recommended yet, but will take a look at it for sure! Thanks!

Claycat, that was the shortest comment I’ve ever seen!

bandicoot

From hobby to profession

claycat, that was like…extreme haiku! lol.

Claycat

From hobby to profession

LOL, bandicoot! I realized my post was not relevant to this topic, so I edited it out. 🙂

Nina, haven’t you heard about the accountants who can’t keep track of their own accounts or the doctors who don’t go to the doctor, etc? I’m much better at helping others organize and unclutter than I am at doing it myself. If that is something you would like to do, go for it!

Sophie

From hobby to profession

My job involves helping others to organise their work spaces and unclutter. In my role, I get to inform others of the processes to follow, and then guide them through the process. This is in a work envirnment rather than a home and we use it to create effective work spaces that are safe, clean, organised and where we can find things. I love the fact I can combine my hobby into my work and teach others at the same time. There are many benefits in work environment too, e.g. one of the greatest achievements in an office space is to realise all the missing stationary that hides in people’s drawers and then relising there is so much there that we don’t need to re-purchase for a LONG TIME and put in processes to ensure we don’t get back to over purchasing!!!! The same principles apply at home where if we know where something is, a place for everything and everything in it’s place…then we don’t repurchase unnecessarily…

I agree with @Claycat, even “professionals” can get caught out, e.g. I recently needed some nutmeg for a recipe, I didn’t have any so went to the supermarket and bought some and put it in the cupboard, then a couple of weeks went by, then I checked before last grocery shop I couldn’t find any, … so bought another lot of nutmeg next grocery shop… then when I got home I discovered I now have two containers of nutmeg – I mean, how much nutmeg can one family use!!!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.