Home Forums Living Spaces Bedrooms Final frontier – sewing materials pruned and stowed

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  chacha1 6 years, 8 months ago.

• Author

Zora

Years ago, I sorted out all my sewing and craft tools and supplies and stowed them in several plastic chest-of-drawers. Several? Um, six, and two file boxes. Each with six drawers. (NOTE: this does not include my unfinished projects or my fabric stash; this was stuff like zippers, interfacing, patterns, pattern paper, ribbon, etc.) Stacks of drawers loomed over my bed.

After moving the plastic drawers OUT of the bedroom and some under-used wooden drawer units INTO the bedroom, I had to figure out how to store all my supplies in four large drawers and one file drawer.

I did it!

Well, except for making a thread storage chest, which is next on my to-do list.

While I was looking for thread storage solutions online, I read about one crafter who used large, sturdy, clear, zip-top plastic bags to store her stuff. That’s it! I thought. No need to have umpteen drawers, most of them only part full. Just bag things and stow like with like. Which I did. I thought I was going to have to prune mercilessly, but merely pruning junk was enough. I ended up with enough space that I could devote one whole drawer to beads and yarn, which I had thought I might have to give away.

Yay me! I will hold onto the plastic drawers for a while, just in case they’re needed in the reorg, but I anticipate giving most of them away.

Final frontier – sewing materials pruned and stowed

@Zora: Just a suggestion to poke air holes in the bags to avoid potential air moisture in the bag problems.

Congratulations. You’ve worked hard.

Zora

That sounds like a good idea. Will do.

ninakk

Nicely done, Zora!

whit

Well done, and it doesn’t sound too painful, either! My favorite kind of uncluttering…

chacha1

Excellent! How nice to find a *simple* solution for best use of something you already had. 🙂

Also as a beadophile I’m happy you didn’t have to purge that stuff. I would mourn the loss of my beads almost as much as I would mourn the loss of cheese or chocolate.

chacha1

bahahaa! so funny the threads they pick up on.

So, since this got bumped, I’m going to use it to comment on an upcoming Purge I plan to administer to my craft stuff. My big purge a few years back was very constructive but I still have a lot of stuff that I haven’t used since then and I am now ready to acknowledge that I am *not going to use it.* And that’s okay.

I’m gonna do what the Etsy crowd calls “de-stashing.” I’m going to put together zip bags of assorted supplies in color sets, and list them cheapity-cheap for one listing period. If they don’t sell, I’ll donate them to a school.

Basically, the whole bottom-line reason (for me) for doing an Etsy store was to move a few things out of the stash so I had an excuse to buy more beads. As far as I know there is no 12-step program for this particular addiction.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.