Home Forums Challenges Fifty by Friday Challenge

This topic contains 335 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by  Lounger 6 years, 4 months ago.

• Author

sleepykitten

I am giving myself a challenge this week and I thought I’d post it in case it inspired anyone to follow along. I’m calling it my “Fifty by Friday” challenge.

Friday is the day when we will be able to borrow a car from a friend and drop off a bunch of stuff at the thrift store, and I’ve been working on uncluttering big-time in order to make maximum use of that car! (I know some of you have first hand knowledge of what a pain delivering donations by bus can be….)

To finish strong, I am going to identify 50 more things in the house between now and Friday that can be donated (or thrown away, I guess, if they are in really bad condition). Sort of like ATAD, but on steroids.

I’ll report back.

Feel free to join me if you need a push!

irishbell

Fifty by Friday Challenge

So- I love it! It’s definitely my idea of uncluttering.
    I don’t think I could manage 50, maybe if I went through every single drawer in the house.

ninakk

I’m in. A stack of magasines and newspapers that I need to recycle or donate are waiting for me, tired of looking at them. Each counts as one.

Netleigh

sleepykitten, flex those pumped up uncluttering muscles.

sleepykitten

Yay!

@ninakk – Fantastic! Your stack of papers will be gone in no time!

@irishbell – I think I’ll pretty much have to go through every drawer to make it to 50…but I am also positive there will be 50 items of clutter lurking….

@Netleigh – Yup – I’m pumped up! πŸ™‚ Thanks for the encouragement.

irishbell

Well, I already found 30!
    Of course I am counting things like, empty pill bottle, expired mosquito itchy medicine, a box of gauze pads Ive had for well over 10 years, expired nasal spray/some other meds, 2 pillow cases, 4 old yellowed pillow protectors(still have 4),
    catalog, etc etc!
    And I PEEP’d a few things.
    In two days my dd, her dh and 2 boys are moving in for a few weeks until they take close and possession of their new home.
    Around these parts renting anything monthly costs 2 arms and 2 legs, so they will be with us.
    We will be a bit cluttered for awhile, but our uncluttered basement holds 3 beds, a huge sectional couch, a huge TV, their own bathroom with shower and sauna- I think they’ll be comfortable. Not that they have to stay down there.

Charity

wow, 50? I probably could, but i don’t have any childcare this week. I might do this once they start back at school though. Good luck!

happymonkey

This is a great challenge! I’ve been getting some boxes together to take to Goodwill on Saturday, and I’m going to find 50 things to add to them between now and Friday!

sleepykitten

Way to go, happymonkey! I know you can do it.

And irishbell – you found 30 things already? Guess we’ll have to make the challenge harder for you. πŸ™‚

I’ve found 5 things so far. But I’m just getting started….

ninakk

To recycling: 12 newspapers flicked through, a few articles saved for later reading (am too tired as it’s 2am here now).
    38 to go.

sleepykitten

I finished up last night with 13 things gone; 37 to go.

So far, this is tough given how much work I’ve already done! But tough is good.

My husband says he’ll join in and help find some of his things to unclutter so that we “win” the game, which I think should count as we share closet space, storage space, etc., so our clutter is very intermingled. He’s a good guy. πŸ™‚

Charity

Good luck SK!

irishbell

Whilst perusing a shelf in the garage, I spotted 3 plastic tubs I’d used for plants that went into recycling
    Counting 3 items of clothing from dd’s closet, I’m at 36. Go figure.
    I’m taking a slow and easy day today as dds family of 4 will be moving in with us for a couple weeks, and it may be a little chaotic for awhile!

vintageval

Great challenge! I’m going to pick at least 50 doll items to give to a friend to sell for me! Each outfit will count as one item, so I should make some great progress! Thanks for the challenge.

Meglet

Alright, I’m officially in. I’m counting Monday and Tuesday’s items, though, because they were big days and I thought about joining last night. πŸ™‚ I’m NOT counting all the stuff that was already on the donate pile from my weekend clean-outs, though

Count so far is 19 on Monday, 7 yesterday, and 20!! today for 44 items so far.

I’ve still got a bunch more clothes and kitchen items to go through, plus whatever else catches my eye, so I’m pretty sure I can make it.

Today’s official list:

2 shirts
    2 bathmats
    pile of dish cloths
    bathroom clock
    3 shower curtains
    duvet cover
    bedside organizer
    reading pillow
    8 pillowcases

Rosa

I’m not going back and counting, but we weeded out 4 paper shopping bags of books last night, plus quite a bit of trash (finished sticker books, horrible parenting books nobody should ever see a copy of, random pieces of paper my son apparently thought belonged in the bookshelf at some point).

Apparently stress makes me declutter. Who knew?

Anonymous

I can do six by Saturday. A former student in a town about 2 hours away is newly separated and has moved back across the country with no furniture other than her bed. I happen to have a dining room table cluttering up a corner of the bedroom and a little slipper chair, teakettle, metal shelving and a few storage bins that I am set to deliver to her. If DH wasn’t looking, I’d totally send a few tools as well…we have much redundancy.

ninakk

To recycling: 8 newspapers flicked through, two articles saved with recipes that look interesting.
    30 to go.

Edited to add:
    3 women’s magasines to library donation cart.
    27 to go.

Way to go sleepykitten and everyone else taking on this challenge. I am always up for a good “It’s outta here” challenge. Not only am I starting late but chances are I will be able to catch up really quick. Love the list thing! So I think I will make a list and maybe take a picture. Good luck everyone.

sleepykitten

Way to go, everyone!

Oh my goodness, I had an unexpectedly crazy day yesterday and only ended up getting rid of 3 things. So I still have 34 to go…eeek!

Tonight is going to be interesting….

happymonkey

Sleepykitten, you’re still ahead of me as I’ve only put 6 additional things into the Goodwill box — 44 to go! I will be out for medical appointments most of today, so I will need to catch up tonight and tomorrow. I’m not worried though; I have PLENTY to get rid of! I just have to make myself go through some more boxes/closets/drawers and should have no problem coming up with the 50.

sleepykitten

happymoney – you can do it! Tonight and tomorrow, we will triumph! πŸ™‚

Do weeds and suckers count? This morning was actually cool enough to go outside and work. I cannot bend due to the back surgery, so it was good squatting exercise!

I don’t have much inside the house left to declutter now – it’s a good feeling.

Here is what I have come up with so far…
    1. Bag of plastics to recycle(I will keep adding to this)
    2-5 Beautiful princess wands for our afternoon craft(that will go home with them)of course they look like paper towel tubes but we haven’t worked our magic yet.
    6-10 Empty misc glass jars with lids. A friend is coming to get these, a real friend would have probably took off the labels-but I am in a time crunch here.
    11-14 egg cartons to drop off to the lady down the road that sells fresh eggs

sleepykitten

I love that you post photos, @momwalker!

@lkh – weeds count if you want them to. πŸ™‚

So far this evening, I’ve identified a measly 6 things to unclutter. But I’m trying sooooooo hard.

I actually also have made a list of 19 things that are “possible outs” – but that for whatever reason, I’m hung up on. Some of them I know I want to get rid of, but I don’t know the best way to dispose of them. Some of them were gifts and I’m having “gift guilt”. Some of them I have mixed feelings about and couldn’t *quite* put in the donation box.

Meglet

Wooo, up to 49, I’m almost there! Added the following to my donate pile today:

a small reading glasses case (I don’t wear reading glasses, why do I have this?)
    a wooden bath brush that I never used
    an old wooden baby gate
    2 sweatshirts

Hmm, maybe I should just go dig that spare steamer basket out of the kitchen cupboard right now so I can be done. πŸ˜€

ninakk

To recycling: 12 newspapers flicked through, a couple of articles saved for later reading.
    18 to go.

sleepykitten

I now have 20 to go…and today is my last day! Yikes!

yay! I’m so impressed with everyone’s efforts on this πŸ™‚

We have another coolish morning here in Oklahoma, so I’m heading outside to clear a bit more of the weeds, ivy, and hackberry.

We finally took the old paint cans to the city hazardous waste facility and were totally blown away by the place. We just drove in and two people unloaded everything from the trunk while we chatted with the manager. It’s a severely underused facility in this city, which is a terrible shame.

happymonkey

I’m at 33 — 17 to go! We’re getting down to the finish line …

ninakk

*sigh* I won’t make it, have a thousand things to do today still and it’s already 22.56. Will have to finish tomorrow or Sunday.

To library donation cart: 4 women’s magasines.
    14 to go.
    Or 36 out already. Pretty good.

I did make my 50 here, but wanted to thank sleepykitten for starting this, one of those times I wish we did have a pm feature. You have set some de-cluttering fires on a 50 items over the weekend challenge with a group I work with. More smiling spaces than you think has come from this. Thank you!***virtual hugs***

sleepykitten

@momwalker – awwwwww…thank you! πŸ™‚ It really means a lot to hear that. I think sometimes a “tough” challenge is good.

@happymonkey and @Meglet – Way to go!

@ninakk – you did a great job. 36 outs is impressive.

To be honest, I won’t quite make it either – I made it to “thirty by Thursday”, but after another careful inspection of all my closets and shelves, I just don’t think I have anything else that I am ready to let go of – even getting to thirty involved tackling some items that, up until now, I had thought of as permanent fixtures in my home. We are about to leave to drop everything off, so I officially give up! But I know that having this challenge pushed me to do way more than I otherwise would have, so I sort of feel like a winner. πŸ™‚

Dang I missed my edit timer.
    15-22 dead ferns over the fence row to the rubbish pile
    23-30 plastic pots hope to recycle but may have to trash
    31 spray “Instant Vacation” I have never known if this was room spray or something I am supposed to wear.
    32-38 misc shampoo/conditioner/hair stuff as well as empty-trashed
    39-lots of newspapers for recycling
    40-42- boxes of more broken down cardboard for recycling
    43-47 broken toy cars to the trashcan
    48-52 little girls shoes in donation bag

irishbell

2 old pillows and a ratty mattress pad and I’m at 39!
    Now I’m sitting having a cocktail, enjoying having not a soul to be responsible to/for tonight!
    !

happymonkey

Whew … did it! Sleepykitten, I’m so glad you started this challenge. I found that I do well with a numerical challenge — it kept me going through things to find “one more thing” when before I would have stopped. I also sent quite a few things home with my daughter when she came over to visit for a few hours, so I ended up getting rid of even more than the 50 things. Most of the Goodwill boxes are already in my car and ready to be taken tomorrow. Woo hoo!!

sleepykitten

Awesome, happymonkey! I know what you mean about numerical challenges – it has the same motivating force for me, too. Throughout my “uncluttering journey” I often have come home from work and set mini-challenges to find ten things that night…6 or 7 usually come easy, and the last 3 or 4 are the ones that get me to look at things in a new way.

PJ

I haven’t been on the forums all week, and the title of this thread *really* caught my eye … I almost felt breathless as I read through, watching you all race to the finish line! What a great challenge, wish I had been around to join in on it πŸ™‚

Good job, everyone!

clutterbug22

sleepykitten,
    I missed the challenge as well this week and as the flat needs a good sort out after the school holidays, I think I will give it a go this week. Any one else interested?!

PJ

clutterbug22, I’m in! Going to modify the challenge somewhat by aiming for a combination of items out, tasks completed, 15 minute yardwork sessions, specific areas in the house tidied, etc. I’m not sure I could easily find 50 items unless I get into areas that I’m not quite ready to tackle (areas that might be good candidates for the 15 minute thread once autumn rolls further on and I can’t get out in the yard as much), so this will let me count a wider variety of activities toward improving my home and my life. Let me go and see what I can get done right now!

PJ

OK, first installment. Consolidated 2 cosmetics bags into 1, which counts as a task as it’s something I’ve been meaning to do, with 4 things going out (1 make-up bag, 3 old items of make-up) = 5. Plus a section of my kitchen counter cleared and in the process, 1 small cookie tin out = 2. Total today = 7.

clutterbug22

Hi PJ,
    That’s great, Nice to have a ‘Fifty by Friday’ challenge buddy!

Will be doing a big tidy today so hopefully will have a few items to count towards the total later on. So far – 1 broken drinks glass, 1 used-up candle, 1 large shop catalogue (Argos) from last season to recycling = 3.

PJ

And I sorted through wallet and purse, purging a lot of receipts (I don’t even think I shop that much … how can I accumulate so many receipts? I think I’m going to have to start tracking my spending for a little while) And a few other bits and pieces, candy wrappers and so on. But I’ll count all that as 1 task done, so +1 = 8.

ninakk

I forgot to post here yesterday, I’m in. Last time was too hectic, but I started yesterday and reported on ATAD for today included:
    22 digital files
    2 beauty products
    2 interior mags
    TOTAL 26 out, 24 to go. All items count and if I go past 50 I’ll just keep adding to it here.

clutterbug22

Hi ninakk, halfway there already!!

Dh got rid of about 5 old plants off the balcony so I’ll count that as 1 as he did it! Total = 4

ninakk

Yep πŸ™‚

Getting closer to two thirds done:
    3 bathroom bits and pieces out.
    To go: 21.

sleepykitten

@PJ – I like the way you’ve tweaked the challenge to include “things out” and “tasks completed”…now I’m wondering if I should join in again, as I certainly have a bunch of tasks to complete…I think I’ll just cheer from the sidelines for now, though!

sleepykitten

…OK, I’m a sucker for challenges and I just can’t resist. I’ll join in using PJ’s modification of 50 things and/or 50 tasks – tasks, of course, not counting the stuff I would be doing anyway in terms of my regular job and normal, minimal housekeeping (like washing dishes and doing laundry).

I’m going to count a couple things that I did Saturday and earlier today. A book and a DVD went in the donation pile (I had wanted to read/watch them first, which I did). And I got rid of an account with an online bookmarking service – yay to reducing digital clutter!

So I’m at 3. 47 to go.

clutterbug22

A whole big load of recycling has left the building!, shall count that as 1.
    Tossed a belt which keeps coming undone, it has definitely done its duty, time to let it go!
    Total=6

PJ

Cleared the other half of my kitchen counter, so that’s 1 task done. LOL! I have to wonder whether it will be counted more than once this week, as that’s one of the spots where I tend to really accumulate clutter (as it is for many people.) Maybe I can let it build up, then clear it off, build up, clear it off, and count it every day this week???

Also, out went one ripped up dog toy, one tub of face mask (sadly, it had survived the last bathroom purge but I went to use it and it had developed a weird crust on top), and one sample of those Biore nose strips – my nose pores are now all clean too! Some 3 items out – total of tasks and outs for the week, 12.

clutterbug22

Packet of Mega-sour cherry sweets returned to giver, they were so acidy and vicious they have ‘damaged’ my taste-buds, they are really sore after just one sweet! Wonder if the ingredients are legal at that strength!! (Item no 7)

1 rusted sieve to recycling, dh had strained some tinned tomatoes, left the residue coating the sieve instead of rinsing it off and now the tomato acid has made the sieve rusty. Seems to be a recurring acidic theme here! Item = 8

1 bag of soup-like carrots which had been forgotten when we were away the other week plus chucked the bag of potatoes that they had been stored next to, (more dissolving and disintegration!) Total so far=10

ninakk

Cleaned the fridge last night, several items categorised as “vintage”. Counting as 1.
    Bag of paper and cardboard to recycling, counting as 1; had a huge pile of trash and it was a humongous effort.
    Mega bag of two trash bags, one bio waste, numerous cardboard and metal thingies; counting also as 1 to pat myself on the back.

32 out, 18 to go. (16 is right past 2/3 so not much left!)

I’m going to see if I can do this — that’s an average of 10 items a day. I’ll start with yesterday to give myself a head start, though πŸ™‚

Yesterday: 1 software program, 1 picture frame, 1 small but significant pile of office paper (3)
    Today (so far): Broken door knob into recycle; small pile of plastic and metal recycle from garage; artisan-made body butter w/sunscreen that seemed like a nifty idea but is as hard as a rock and impossible to apply, into trash; a broken hanger; candle that won’t stay lit; pair earrings and silver-colored chain (7) I can see I will need to pick up the pace πŸ™‚

Northshore
    Participant

I’m in. There are certainly more than 50 things around this house but I sometimes try too hard to find a good home for things instead of just loading the car for a Goodwill run. If I end up counting each magazine I tossed this morning, you’ll know that I’ve been overthinking what to do with the computer stuff. So far, 4 software manuals and discs, 4 books, 2 metal boxes, a radio, and a pile of magazines that DH had saved.

irishbell

Northshore- I’m just the opposite! I’d rather toss and get the stuff out of my house.
    I need to be more mindful of this.

PJ

I swear I just wrote a post here and now it’s gone …

Ok. Reboot.

Did my 15 minutes in the yard, and cleaned out my car. That counts as 2 tasks.

I’ll count all the garbage, receipts etc from the car as one item. Also removed from the car trunk one set of car floor mats, bought last year, with packaging still attached. The car *has* mats, I just didn’t like them. Then was going to clean the car before putting the mats in. Now am used to the mats the car came with. Sigh. I am in debt and kicking myself for having wasted the money just because I was excited about having a car. The receipt is long gone – I wonder if Canadian Tire would still take them back? Or maybe I can sell them on Craigslist.

Also heading out this evening, 2 gifts received from someone at work, neither of which is my style. Hmm. One of those might manage to sell on Craigslist too, the other will end up being donated.

That’s 6 things this evening: 12 + 6 = 18. Even though I feel like I’m being pretty productive, 50 by Friday seems like it’ll be a stretch unless I pick up the pace quite a lot.

clutterbug22

Used up shower gel and toothpaste, empties to recycling.
    Packaging for new printer and for 2 toiletry sets,
    Pretty glass jar which held body scrub, was going to refill it but hasn’t happened so to be recycled.
    Total = 16

Have had workmen in for 2 1/2 hours this morning, had to empty out airing cupboard and another smaller cupboard first thing this morning before school run. Now got to put it all back, phew. Still, might find some more contenders for the ‘Fifty’ hidden away!

Got my foot-high pile of desk caca reduced by about half.

To work today: a stack of bookmarks; a stack of photos; a coloring book to pass onto a friend’s granddaughter (she’s only 1 and “The American House Styles of Architecture” is a BIT beyond her capabilities right now, but the mom is an architect so I think it will be a hit); four engraved inspirational stones. I’m counting this as 7.

A pile of paper into the recycle bin, also 1.

Several DVDs/CDs returned to their proper place — also 1.

To library: 27 magazines to their giveaway bin. I’ll count this as 1.

Two small folding tables I bought for work, out of my garage and into the work storage room. I got tired of hauling a HEAVY six-foot-long table down two flights of stairs every time we needed to bring our own table to an event. But I don’t need to keep them at home, do I? Count as 2

That’s 12 for today, 22 since Sunday, so I’m on track πŸ™‚

pkilmain

PJ – I’d certainly try returning the car mats first. I assume they are identifiable as coming from the store. And obviously they are not damaged – nor expired. πŸ™‚

Northshore
    Participant

Computer speakers, internet provider box and cables, box of PC cables, PC switch boxes. I am counting these as 4 items and should get a bonus point for taking them and yesterday’s collection to Goodwill today.
    Tossed a bunch of zip disks and children’s records. A bag of leaves at the curb makes 7 for today, 19 for the week.

sleepykitten

I am not on track at all…I am going to try to have a very productive Tuesday night and then check back to report my numbers. πŸ™‚

sleepykitten

You guys – I’m dying here! πŸ™‚ I have been working my butt off, but all on stuff for my actual job, which doesn’t really count as knocking tasks off my list. I think I’m up to 8 tasks and/or items gone, so I think I may just have to cheer the rest of you on this week!

clutterbug22

Don’t worry, sleepy kitten! Perhaps you can include some easy stuff such as each piece of junk mail, newspapers, old mags/catalgues and bits of packaging around the house, shame to give up yet!!

Tossed 2 used lighters and 2 gloopy nail varnishes, Total=20

sleepykitten

Thanks for the encouragement, @clutterbug! I will see what I can do. πŸ™‚

I know I won’t have much time to myself around the house the next couple days, but maybe I can pull it off.

ninakk

I’m the last one to judge if you add emails on your list and count each of them as one. Just sayin’.

Northshore
    Participant

I took advantage of my remaining jet lag and headed down the basement at 5:00 this morning.
    3 plant baskets
    1 pot
    packaging for iron bought earlier this year
    3 zip drives, 1 syquest drive. vacuumed file drawer where they had been stored.
    2 boxes of travel files were lightly purged and went into above drawer. This was a difficult task with many memories raised along with the dust. In time.
    1 box of household and garden information files mostly cleared.
    I ended up with a grocery bag full of paper to recycle as well as a small pile to shred.
    These 12 bring the week’s total to 31.

50 in 5 days (well, six) is hard! At least THIS week it is. Out today:
    A towel (from my MIL’s) into the box to sell for her estate sale. (1)
    Four software boxes — I do not need to keep these (4)
    One unused software program, to the estate sale box (1)
    A music box made for me by an old boyfriend. Don’t need the reminder (1)
    An engineering template, like I’m an engineer — not. (1)
    A shirt I bought on sale and on impulse that looks horrible on me (1)
    All the papers from a trip we took in April. Re-used the binder for our upcoming New England trip. (1)

That’s 30 total this week — on track!

PJ

Hey, sleepykitten, I’m pretty sure I’m not going to make it either, unless I hit a stash of small stuff that I can get rid of a whole bunch of. Actually, come to think of it, I do have a ton of pencils and such in a drawer that I don’t use much – I had purged it once but it was a light purge. Maybe time for another? 50 is an ambitious goal, so don’t stress if you don’t get there, but use it as motivation to find some little pocket where clutter is hiding in your house and clear that junk out. And yes, each piece of paper, or each e-mail (or each pencil!) can count!

Anyway, reporting in on yesterday’s efforts. It was a light day for uncluttering, as what I mostly did was a bunch of cooking to last me the rest of the week and freeze some meals for later. But because my secondary goal was to use stuff that otherwise would go bad, I’m counting some towards my goal!

So, 2 packages of Williams-Sonoma butter pecan quick bread mix – bought with a store credit after exchanging a gift for something cheaper. *Ahem* They were expired, but not that long ago, and the mix smelled fine so I went ahead and made both packages up. Delicious!

Also, a bunch of onions, celery, and potatoes, all of which have been hanging out in the fridge long enough to be starting to look a little less than fresh. Along with an ancient box of pie crusts from the freezer, they were made into a couple of quiche-y things, plus some roasted in a pan in the oven. *Sob* I still have more of all those items: onions, celery, potatoes, and ancient pie crusts – another cooking session will be needed.

Going to add 4 (2 pkgs bread mix, 1 box pie crust, 1 assorted veggies) to my count, bringing me to 22.

ninakk

1 used up shower gel
    1 stack of bubble envelopes
    to go: 16

clutterbug22

I’ve done it, amazingly!
    Spent a very productive hour this morning sorting out ds’s clothes and decluttered 22 T-shirts, 11 pairs of trousers, 1 dressing gown, 1 pair pyjamas, 10 jumpers and 2 shirts and a wooly hat which adds up to 48 items plus the previous 20 items makes 68 in all. Sounds a lot of clothes, I think I’d been keeping some of them in the vain hope that he’d wear some of them but young boys can be surprisingly choosy in what they want to wear. It’s his birthday today so I thought I’d get rid of the unlikely to be worn clothes once and for all. BTW I actually don’t buy very many clothes for him at all, most of these are souvenir T-shirts from Grandparents travels to the States, hand-me-downs from friends or presents, I’m aiming for a more ‘capsule’ like wardrobe for the kids.

Cheering everyone else on!

PJ

Wow, clutterbug, good for you!

I have to go back to work tonight, came home to walk the dogs. Since I didn’t 15 minute in the garden yesterday, I knew I really really *should* work out there today. But I’ll be at work tonight. Which left this afternoon to get it done. Had one of those “But I don’t wanna!”/”But you should!” conversations with myself, and in the end, I did it. Yay me!

Counting as 2, for a total of 24, because I spent more than 15 minutes and because I finally planted a blueberry bush that never made it into the ground *last* summer, and had miraculously managed to survive summer/winter/summer just sitting on my front porch in a 6 inch pot – even though I did nothing to protect it from a Toronto winter and rarely thought to water it over the summers. LOL! My front porch looks so clean and empty now that it’s not sitting in the corner anymore!

clutterbug22

Thanks PJ, and Well Done for getting your blueberry bush planted, it’s a satisfying feeling getting one of those ‘nagging’ tasks done.

ninakk

250 digital files deleted, each individually assessed. I need to stop hoarding crap on the computer, really πŸ™‚
    1 magasine to recycling

I’m done for the week, thanks for the challenge.

clutterbug22

Great stuff, ninakk, bet your eyes are bossed-eyed now after all that staring at the computer!!

I can’t see how I will ever make fifty by tomorrow. three today:
    — tossed my birthday cards, from July. I could count these individually, but that would be too easy πŸ™‚
    — went through a bin of junk DH took out of his car, and tossed the trash. At least I can close the lid on the bin now.
    — Went through all the places DH leaves all his change and put it in the place where he is SUPPOSED to leave his change.

That makes a total of 33 for the week so far. Much better than a thing a day, but far from 50.

Northshore
    Participant

I think I can, I think I can.
    2 travel/sample toiletries used up
    1 cd holder that held 5 cds. (????)
    packaging from CO detectors bought in June. Why was I saving this?
    vintage food
    5 shirts to Goodwill sale at dept. store
    laptop case–I have to figure out how to clean the laptop before it can go.
    2 DH’s jackets that were hiding in the back of the closet
    another bag of leaves to the curb. I will be glad when I can rake more of my tiny lot at one time. That makes 45.

clutterbug22

Nearly there, Northshore! And you’re not that far off, SIT.

PJ

Hmm … well, my desk drawer at home was not nearly as much of an uncluttering treasure trove as I thought it might be. I tested all the pens, and most of them work, and there weren’t quite as many pencils as I thought there were (must have purged more of them than I remembered). Still, I came up with 6 items that could go out, including a little stub of an eraser and a tiny 2 inch long freebie highlighter that I’ve probably never used. Bringing me to 30. Gonna have to think about where else I can hit to get my numbers up.

Northshore
    Participant

I’m at 50+! I have two bags of recycling and a big bag from the shredder. And a little space on the basement shelves. It hasn’t made as much of an impact as I had hoped. At least most of the computer stuff is gone and I can now start working on the photos and slides that need serious editing. But this weekend, I will relax.
    5 more folders of Travel files emptied
    Paris Michelin guide from 19xx. I am too embarassed to tell what year.
    20 LP’s and a box of books in the trunk for the thrift store.
    Sandals to the trash
    Another bag of leaves to the curb
    Packaging from the scale I bought last month.

clutterbug22

Well Done, Northshore!
    Even if you think it hasn’t made as much of an impact as you would have hoped, at least it’s 50+ things less that you have to deal with. Have a relaxing week-end!

very well done, Northshore.

Out today: four almost empty condiment jars from the fridge — they are getting old and I’ve found myself avoiding using them. And a small bag of slice lemons that DH saved from a take-out meal who knows how long ago. That makes 38, so I didn’t make my fifty. I don’t want to go much further with this or I’ll start chucking stuff just to make the numbers and will regret it πŸ™‚

sleepykitten

Congrats to everyone who pushed themselves this week! I didn’t make it – got to the mid-20s. But I was also out of town for a few days (which is why you didn’t see me hanging out here!) so I think that’s respectable.

@susan – yes, I *could* get rid of things just to get to 50, but I want to do so mindfully and be certain so that I don’t regret it. Otherwise, what’s the point?

PJ

I think I only managed two outs yesterday – a pair of tights with holes and the leaflet and laminated bookmark from my neighbour’s funeral on Thursday. My day didn’t at all go as planned. Which brings me to only 32. That’s still way more than ATAD, as I think SIT pointed out on the last page of posts, and it included a couple of projects that have been lingering lingering lingering. So overall I’m pleased with the challenge, just wish I’d had a couple of hours yesterday when I could have gone looking for a cluttered pocket of the house and dealt with it.

I’ll note for accountability purposes that I’m well aware I could get rid of at least 50 items of clothes, and it wouldn’t take me that long to do it. My resistance to tackling clothing is sky high these days, and it’s all about the fact that I’m about 10-15 pounds heavier than I’d like to be. Am trying to subconciously ponder what I’m going to do about that, without actually pushing myself to tackle an area that I know I’m primed to be resistant about.

PJ

I hit send and went to pour myself some coffee, then remembered that I’d meant to address the “noticeable difference” issue. I had started off the uncluttering journey with a moderate level of clutter everywhere. My closets/cupboard/basement were not so much stuffed full, it was more a question of not having a PEEP (and not really enough room to have a PE). Only a *big* effort in a small area would bring about a noticeable difference, because anywhere else your eye could alight would have more clutter. And then one day, almost overnight, there was suddenly a difference. Suddenly the clutter was in little islands in a surrounding sea of relative simplicity. A lot of islands, mind you, but still islands rather than a whole bloody continent! Of course, this is my experience. I could imagine it being quite different if, for example, someone’s clutter is mostly stuffed into storage spaces. Or if it’s child clutter, which tends to multiply as new stuff continually flows into the house. Either way, 50 (or 30, or 20) things out is 50, 30, or 20 less things in the house, the equivalent amount of space freed, and one step closer to “a noticeable difference.”

sleepykitten

@PJ – very well said about the “noticeable difference”.

I realize that, despite my excuse of being away from home, not making it to 50 is going to bother (or maybe the word is motivate?) me. Today is Saturday and I am going to get back up and try this challenge again – once more with the modification of both things and non-work tasks (i.e., both ATAD and FATAD) counting toward my 50.

PJ

sleepykitten, I was trying to be philosophical about not getting to 50, but it bothers me too. May I continue alongside you? I’m going to see if I can hit my 50 by the end of the weekend, although I’m going to be pretty generous with myself about what counts as an item/task …

Starting with:

– just finished clearing kitchen and bathroom counters, plus end tables and wall unit in living room, as well as PEEPing a few random items from beside the front door – will call that 2
    – cleared brushes and emptied Roombas then got them started vacuuming the front half of the house (will try to then recharge and restart once more today for back half of house) = 1
    – washed in the tub one dog bed that my anxious crazy dog piddled on a little several weeks ago – it’s too big for my washing machine to handle and thick foam cushion so real physical effort to wash by hand = 1
    – tidied leftover containers, put one for donation and discarded one broken lid = 2

Total = 38

Stay tuned for more throughout the day …

PJ

And two more bringing me to 40 …

Cleared one square foot on my dining room table (still covered with craft stuff, even though I’ve had my crafting area mostly set up in another room for a month now. I removed a box of old envelopes brought home from work, squeezed as many as I could into the other place where I keep my mailing materials, and regretfully and reluctantly dumped the rest in recycling. To be clear, these envelopes are yellowed, non-standard sizes, and while perfect for crafty projects (mail art, envelope journals, etc) are not likely to be found another happy home without significant effort on my part.

And I sent an e-mail to my accountant asking to set up an appointment to take her the rest of materials needed to file my 2011 taxes – a long delayed financial task, because it involves digging up a bunch of info for my deductions re: school, home office, non-taxable housing allowance, etc. Sending the e-mail will also force me to get that preparation task done sometime this week πŸ™‚

sleepykitten

Whoo-hoo, PJ! I think you will definitely make it to 50 over the weekend!

PJ

Thanks sleepykitten, I think so too! A good night out last night followed by a good night’s sleep left me full of energy and determination today πŸ™‚

Couple more things:

– went to the grocery store to collect some free items – I had coupons for them that were expiring today (task = 1)
    – put away laundry from the basement laundry room and the chair in my bedroom (task = 1)
    – found two items of clothing to go into the donation bag while I was putting away laundry (items = 2)

44!

clutterbug22

Nearly there, PJ!

I thought I’d go crazy and try another weeks ’50’ challenge! I’ve got plenty of kid’s clothes, toys and books to go through, especially as I’ll be doing a Kids clothes and Toy sale on october 6th, plus I’ve got lots of paper and magazines to go through for recycling. It would be a good kickstart to get rid of some more stuff before the Christmas season is upon us!

Btw, Sleepykitten, are you starting your ’50’ challenge from scratch this week or are trying to finish off last weeks ’50’?

Here goes for Week 2!
    Small pile of dh’s old birthday cards to recycling=1
    2 new but cheap pencils which keep breaking when you try to sharpen them=3
    Small candle used up=4
    Bubble bath used up=5
    Large Yellow Pages=6 (Did get this years in replacement but as it’s 1/2 the size now I’m counting the old one as the new one doesn’t take up so much space!)
    Deleted 100 emails=7
    Unsubscribed to 1 website=8

sleepykitten

@clutterbug – I personally am starting from scratch, because I wasn’t as close to the finish line as PJ was (and I think PJ will make it!).

clutterbug22

sleepykitten, oh that’s good, I’ve got a fellow ‘Fiftyer’ for this week’s challenge!!

PJ

Make it 45!

The car mats that I already posted about previously got taken back to Canadian Tire today. Without a receipt they were only able to give me the lowest possible sale price for the item (approx $18 + tax rather than the $32 + tax that I paid for them), and only as a credit note. But way better than having to try to sell them on Craigslist or just donate them and take the loss, right? Luckily Canadian Tire sells all kinds of things, so I immediately traded my credit note in to buy some cat litter and dog treats – I go through a lot of them because of training for the crazy dog πŸ™‚

Wow, I think this challenge has been even better for helping me take care of “tasks” right away than it’s been for helping me dispose of “things.” I still have much delayed tasks to do – maybe I should think of joining again this week!

Oh, and I think it’s *awesome* that you guys are starting all over from scratch!

sleepykitten

I’m up to 5 so far (all “things” so far). A book, three CDs, and a magazine.

clutterbug22

1 old nail varnish that takes ages to dry=9
    Deleted 1 folder from email account=10

clutterbug22

1 book catalogue to recycling =11

sleepykitten

Made final payment on an old student loan (uncluttering debt!), unsubscribed from 2 e-mail lists, put rolling pin in donation bag (I cook, but I don’t really bake).

Total thus far: 9

Ella

SK! Uncluttering your student loan, woo-hooooo!! *pops the champagne* πŸ˜€

sleepykitten

Thank you, Ella! πŸ™‚

Yes, it is a big thing to unclutter and an exciting day!

(I actually have one more student loan left from a different lender, but it is on a plan such that it will eventually be forgiven if I make regular payments – so I am doing well.)

PJ

sleepykitten, let me add my congratulations on uncluttering a student loan! I can’t *wait* to be able to say I’ve uncluttered my debt!

I found a few items to bring myself up to 50. Was aiming to unclutter a few task this evening, but just not feeling great. So went looking and found a couple of knick knacks, and a couple of pairs of new (gifted) earrings that could go, which brought me tantalizingly close – 49. Have had some stuff sitting around that needs to be sent to someone, so I went through it and discarded some excess packaging and moved it to where I’m more likely to follow up on it. I’m going to call that 50 because of how much got discarded and because it leaves a nice clear spot on the table πŸ™‚

Yay!

Now the question is whether to recommit for the week, and I think the answer is both yes and no. I’d like to take on another challenge, but I think 50 will be pushing it. So I’m going to go for 5 over 5 – 5 items or tasks a day for 5 days, but rather than starting a new thread, if you re-challengers don’t mind the company, I’ll just keep posting here.

sleepykitten

@PJ – congrats on making it to 50, and feel free to keep posting here for your “5 over 5”! Sounds like an equally good challenge.

Rosa

every week i think “no way can I find this many things” and every week I’m totally wrong.

I hit 25 yesterday just by going through the summer & winter clothes and getting rid of things that don’t/won’t fit us or we don’t like (it helps to have a rapidly-growing child; stuff that last spring I thought “he will wear this in fall maybe” are all too small now.)

PJ

Way to go, Rosa! I think as long as you haven’t already pared down to a minimalist wardrobe, the clothing cupboards and drawers are usually a goldmine for decluttering. Between things that are worn out, too big, too small, too stained, too out of style or just plain boring, there is usually a goodly amount that can go!

I’m glad to have re-committed to a challenge this week, otherwise I’d have been unlikely to do anything at all when I got home. But, knowing how you guys are counting on me (*wink*) I motivated myself to:

-Not quite 15 minutes outside work – not new weeding, but taking out the garbage and all the lawn and garden bags down to the curb as it’s pick-up day tomorrow.
    -Repot a couple of plants (I’d been rooting some cuttings for a little while now and they were ready to go into a big pot, along with the plant I’d cut them from, and then moved another plant up into their original pot.)
    -Cleaned out one litter box and scooped another (a routine task that I don’t do often enough – maybe allowing myself to post about it will help motivate me to do it more often?)
    -Cleaned out my bathroom light fixture, aka where nasty bugs go to die. I don’t even know what kind of bugs they are but they are big and they freak me out, and there were several of them in there. And poor design on the globe (a really large lip where it screws onto the fixture) means that the only way to get them out is shake the globe vigourously, posing the risk of having nasty bugs fly into your face OR having the globe slip from your hands and get broken. I think I’d rather have the globe shatter on the floor than get hit with one of those bugs. Ugh. My skin is crawling just thinking about it (and this is how I feel about the dead ones – imagine if they were alive?!?)

And now, I realize that was 4 tasks, not 5. So you will have to trust me when I say that I’m going to go and find something to go in the garbage or recycling bin to bring me to a total of 5 for the day …

clutterbug22

Well done, Rosa – clothes (and the sock drawer) are good items for racking up the numbers!
    Good Luck with your ‘5 x5’s’ PJ!

Used up 2x mini toothpastes (the size that you can get free when you visit the dentist), will count as 1 so =12
    Used up a moisturiser=13
    Deleted 100 emails=14

clutterbug22

Box for defunct mobile phone and some packaging for 2 new drinking glasses=15
    Some flowers from a bouquet which were going brown=16

sleepykitten

Uncluttered task: picked up dry cleaning. That brings me to 10 so far. I need to pick up the speed!

@clutterbug – I like your rule of “100 e-mails = 1 thing”. I am going to steal that one!

sleepykitten

Considering how little sleep I’ve gotten, you think I would have managed to make it further than 10 tasks/items, but no! πŸ™‚ I’ve been doing ALL work stuff.

I am going to cry if I don’t make it to 50, so I’m off to find some low-hanging fruit right now.

clutterbug22

sleepykitten, yes, I’m going to have to turn in up a notch or two, Thursday already and only on 16. Think I shall have to excavate the sock drawers for some hidden booty!!

clutterbug22

Used up a mini shower gel=17
    Bag of carrier bags, plastic wrap etc to the supermarket recycling=18
    2 x umbrellas with kids designs on them that the kids have grown too old for=20
    Some manky apples into the composting=21

clutterbug22

Not long to go, ‘Fifty by Fridayers’!
    (Mind you, it’s not easy,)

PJ, How are your ‘5 x 5’s’ going?

Deleted 100 emails=22
    Used up a tube of hand cream=23

clutterbug22

Still soldiering on!

12 of dd’s dried up felt tips=(will count as 1)=24
    Old plastic case that felt tips were kept in=25
    1 appointment diary from, ahem, 1989 to shredder=26 (Quite interesting to see what I was doing all those years ago though!)
    1 bamboo laundry basket to Recycling Centre=27 (Been meaning to get rid of that for ages)
    1 metal cage for pets-rabbits, chinchillas etc to Recycling Centre=28. Get this, it wasn’t even ours but the next-door neighbours left it a ‘while ago’ and dh thought he’d sell it at a car-boot sale. Never happened! So, I’m glad to get rid of that, more space on the balcony.
    5 plastic flower pots to recycling=33
    1 old mascara=34
    2 kid’s Glo-Sticks which have stopped glowing=36
    2 old medications=38
    1 travel alarm clock which isn’t going to work no matter how many new batteries I put in it=39
    2 newspapers=41

clutterbug22

Back again, sorry to bore everyone!

Done it-
    bottle of salad dressing with a teaspoon of dressing at the bottom cleaned and recycled=42
    4 x book catalogues=46
    5 x pairs of outgrown socks=51

sleepykitten

YAY!!!!! Clutterbug, great job! Not boring AT ALL – it is great to share in your success.

I’m not going to make it (again). I got to about 20 – and then collapsed. I feel full of excuses, which do not make me proud, the biggest being that I have been working 14 hour days all week. I’m not really sure how to make time for myself sometimes…but 20 things/tasks is better than zero things/tasks.

I am happy, though, knowing that clutterbug made it to 50! πŸ™‚

I easily got to fifty if you count each of the 25 magazines I took to the library recycle bin as separate items. I think quite a lot might leave over the next few weeks as we prepare for the MIL’s estate sale — a good opportunity to offload stuff.

clutterbug22

Thanks, sleepykitten! Don’t feel bad about not quite getting there. It’s understandable why you didn’t quite get to 50, what with your crazily long work-hours. I bet all you want to do is go to bed once you get in from work! Plus it is hard work looking for 50 things anyway. I hope you have a relaxing week-end!

SIT, Well Done for getting to 50! I noticed your posts on other threads, sending lots of items to your MIL’s estate sale and thought that you could easily make 50 with all those items leaving the house! Good Luck with the sale.

And I know it sounds crazy but I’m going for a 3rd week of finding 50! (In fact, I’m aiming to do a month’s worth) So, you’ll all have to put up with me for a little while longer!!

sleepykitten

clutterbug, if you are going to try one more time, then I think I might as well.

Yes, lately all I’ve wanted to do when I get home from work is watch TV or sit on the couch. Luckily, we’ve made it past a major deadline now – even though there are more deadlines coming, I can take a bit of a breather this weekend.

clutterbug22

sleepykitten, that’ll be good, Hopefully it’ll be 3rd time lucky for you!

PJ

And I completely disappeared …

Like sleepykitten, I ended up having several long days at work, including one yesterday (why yes, Fridays *are* supposed to be my day off, strange, isn’t it?) So I got no further than the last time I posted, and I’m not sure about trying again since I have another busy week coming up. Might be better to take a bit of a break rather than trying and failing.

irishbell

PJ- good idea, no reason to set yourself up!
    Possibly you could try for ATAD, that’s usually not too bad.

sleepykitten

This is going to be my week! I’m up to 5 so far.

Three small items, 1000 e-mails (these particular e-mails were easy to filter and bulk delete, so counting as one thing), and 100 web bookmarks (counting as one thing).

sleepykitten

Three more things gone and one task complete – so I am at 9.

sleepykitten

Oh, goodness – I sort of lost track of which things I already “counted” and which I didn’t in my last tally.

I know I got rid of at LEAST one more thing – so that makes 10.

sleepykitten

OK, I killed ALL the threads – my name is everywhere. But I just got rid of 200 internet bookmarks, which counts as 2 things.

So I am up to 12.

clutterbug22

Don’t worry, sleepykitten, I’ll add my name to yours!!

Had a bit of a break for the last couple of days, nothing like giving yourself less time to complete a challenge!

Humble beginnings:-
    1 cream cracker tin to recycling=1
    Dh’s shaving cream used up, to recycling=2 (not a case of a 1 out/1 in item which will then cancel the item out as we’ve got quite a stock of toiletries to use up in the airing cupboard, hence the frequent posting of used up toiletry items I’ve been posting lately. At least I’m smelling sweet!)

Endof20s

Totally love this challenge because I definitely need to do more than one thing per day.

Little context… I’m planning a big move in the next year and want to reduce 80% of my “stuff” and have created a journal with a list of my “keep” items. Everything else is fair game.

Out today:
    2 piggy banks
    4 purses
    2 hair curlers/straightners that I never use
    1 Ikea memo board

Gave away:
    1 hair curler to my Mom
    1 salsa bowl to da boys (creating a box to ship!)

Monday total: 11

sleepykitten

That’s quite a day, Endof20s! Congrats! As an aside, I saw in your other thread that you are dealing with the loss of a family member and you have my sympathy. Hopefully uncluttering will be a helpful distraction, but above all, take care of yourself.

My magic number as of tonight is 14 – I got rid of more digital clutter (200 internet bookmarks). Believe it or not, I still have almost 1,000 bookmarks – not to mention the recipes and book titles I have currently stored in Evernote that I am planning on keeping. (I am transitioning to Evernote…it seems to be working well for me so far as it actually archives the stuff of interest from the web page and it allows me to add my own comments and notes). Some of those bookmarks are worthy of archiving in Evernote, but certainly not all 1,000 that remain!

Hey all, just joined the forum. This looks like a great challenge. I assume it’s 50 things gotten rid of or tasks done, right?

I’ve got piles of papers to get rid of and the kid’s bikes no longer fit in the garage. And I can’t file my taxes because I can’t find a some of the paperwork I need. (I’ll be getting money back, too.) I also have storage boxes at work that are taking up space and need to be gone through.

My goodness, the above makes me sound like a wreck. I accept the 50 by Friday challenge!!!

(Long term plans include cruising on a sailboat, so there’s another reason to trim things. And another source of clutter in the garage.)

sleepykitten

Welcome, SimplyElegant! You don’t sound like a wreck – you just have some work to do…and you have the reward at the end of getting some money back on your taxes, so that is a great motivator. πŸ™‚

Yup – either 50 things gone or 50 tasks completed or some combination of the two by Friday and you win! πŸ™‚ There are a few other threads on the forum that are also helpful – ATAD (get rid of A Thing A Day), FATAD (Fix A Thing A Day), and 15 min vs. clutter monster (work on a given uncluttering task for 15 min every day). Or you can do some or all of the different challenges!

sleepykitten

I got rid of 5 things and 200 internet bookmarks (counts as 2 things), so that brings me up to 21.

I think I’ll actually make it this week! Now the trick is to knock out some *tasks*…I have a lot of lingering tasks taking up mental space.

clutterbug22

Hi, Endof20’s and SimplyElegant! Nice to ‘see’ some more faces doing the challenge!

Sorry, sleepykitten, have made pathetic progress this week, been busy with parent’s evenings at schools etc. Hope to rev it up a notch tomorrow!

irishbell

I’ve got 27 from today, maybe I can get to 50 by this weekend!

Endof20s

Thanks sleepykitten and clutterbug22!

Yes, this week is a bit of a challenge with work (I own my own business), uncluttering tasks and preparing for the funeral next week. Just taking things slowly.

And yes, sleepykitten, thankfully I have a great support network who are making sure I take care of me too πŸ™‚

Today I think it’s time to look at all those candles and candle holders. Waaaaay too many and some are just plain ugly. I should also declutter these business cards which I’ve already entered.

If I could unclutter one task… it’s gotta be an article that I have due to a huge media outlet that I’ve half finished. Gah!

perry417

Relatively new to the Unclutterer forums (long time lurker). I’ve been posting to ATAD and will continue to post there, because I really am trying to do a little bit every day until my 40th birthday (my 39th was 4 days ago). But as I am just really digging in and getting started in earnest on this uncluttering effort, the Fifty by Friday challenge sounds quite do-able to me. So I accept the challenge, with a start time of 8 pm on Tuesday night. Here I go!

perry417

{1} Broke down two big shipping boxes for recycling. These had been sitting in my laundry room for several days!

{2} This prompted me to also recycle three soda boxes in the spare fridge, which opened up so much more space (and reminded me to get more diet coke)

{3} Which led to a clear-out of the expired food and stuff in the fridge, and to do a quick (not perfect) wipe-down

{4} And then I organized the collection of magnets and got rid of four that just weren’t all that meaningful to me.

Endof20s

perry – thanks for reminding me that I have a 6 pack of soda in the extra fridge from a friend! Need to declutter that soon…

I did manage to clean up the sink and hand wash many dishes. I hate the soap I got for the dishwasher and have to re-wash everything. Need to return that soap to Costco and get a refund. And buy new soap.

decluttered today:
    4 wood bowls
    4 bowls + 1 platter never used
    1 coffee press
    6 grocery lists from the fridge
    1 cheap memo board
    2 glass bowls from the mantel
    1 weird glass bowl and stand
    2 candle holders

Things I’m not really counting…
    1 bottle of wine

Total: 21 items
    Grand Total: 32 items

perry417

{5} Set up my new digital picture frame (happy birthday, me). Recycled the box. Uploaded 135 photos so far (2010-2012).

{6} Flipped through and recycled a magazine and a small pile of papers. Gathered the important ones in a paperclip to work through in the morning!

perry417

{7} Out with 4 reusable bags that were in pretty rough shape.

{8} Out with 5 ‘ice packs’ that were duplicates or never used, including 2 freebies that came with a package that I had been saving Just In Case.

{9} Out with many lids to jars that will never be used.

** Edited to list these 5 tasks as separate items **

{10} Task completed: thank you notes written and mailed (also had to buy stamps)

{11} Task completed: a prescription renewal request submitted (not automatic renewal, had to call the doctor, will pick up later today)

{12} Task completed: carpet cleaner appointment made (needed to do some research to find a new one, as the other company I had used closed)

{13} Task completed: tickets to a Christmas concert purchased (I was having trouble doing it online, but procrastinating on actually picking up the phone)

{14} Task completed: Weight Watchers online subscription cancelled (I had forgotten my password and needed to go through a process to get that done).

sleepykitten

@perry417 – way to go! My personal opinion is that all 5 of those tasks you grouped together were substantial tasks and deserved to be counted separately, so I think you are closer to 50 than you give yourself credit for!

perry417

Sleepykitten, you are so right! I edited them to list them as separate items. Thanks for the support! πŸ™‚

perry417

{15} Freecycle = plastic container for files

{16} Freecycle = unopened jar of pectin (used to make jam; I had intentions but it’s probably not gonna happen)

{17} Freecycle = swim floaties my children have outgrown

{18} Freecycle = “Do Not Forget” door hanger

{19} Freecycle = 35 legal size hanging files

{20} Started going through hard copies of photos and very quickly tossed a stack of duplicates — much more to go on this task…

{21} Started going through the “junk piles” — this will take a long while — but I did consolidate down so I’m counting it as an accomplishment. Shredded A LOT of papers.

{22} Recycled more boxes around the house (2 more shipping boxes; 3+ prescription boxes; 2 cereal boxes [put the cereal itself in clear jars]; 3 snack boxes [put the snacks in a bowl for kids to reach more easily])

PJ

Just wanted to add my welcome to others for all the new folks who have started posting recently. This is a great challenge – a real boost to hit 50 items or tasks dealt with over the course of one week. I’m hoping to give it another go soon!

Endof20s

Tonight I think all of my 10 things will be paper related! I started a fresh bag for receipts and need to keep organizing those (or make sure they’re in Mint and shred them). Also moved the box of shredding closer to the shredder (duh!).

Working through my business related notes and papers now. It’s only about 3″ high today.

clutterbug22

Back in the race after bit of a break!
    Some papers=3
    1 old toothbrush=4
    Put teabags in storage jar and then into cupboard, recycled great big box for the teabags-more space on kitchen counter now=5
    Chutney that has now gone ‘fizzy’=6
    3 dvd’s=9
    1 Norton Web security 2011 packaging (assume that has expired now!)=10
    1 cd=11
    2 video rental cases (not sure how they appeared!?)=13
    Broken plastic hairband=14
    Outgrown school jumper=15
    Bunch of flowers past their best=16

irishbell

5 more items of clothing, up to 32!

irishbell

Ran 5 errands this morning.
    Fixed the damn printer also, only took an hour…..
    Huge bag of holey and dirty socks.
    Up to 35 now, counting the above as 3 things.

perry417

{23} Refilled three glass jars with snacks, recycled boxes and wrappings. The glass jars seem to be working well for our family, can more easily see what we have and what is running low.

{24 and 25} Went through two bags of hand-me-down clothes donated to us by friends. Figured out what we can use now, what we need to save for later, and what can be donated (1 each – shorts, shirt, jeans, crocs).

{26} Shredded 1.5 inches of papers. All were financial-related, one from a rough patch with my mother a few years ago. All is better now, no need to hang onto that bad karma in my house.

{27} Sorted two party gift bags – my son will never miss this stuff. Pulled out the trinkets to set aside for Operation Christmas Child in November. Trashed the candy (it wasn’t chocolate or I’d keep it for myself).

{28} Task completed: Achieved “Inbox Zero” in my gmail account. The trick will be to keep it that way, but I think I have a really good system now and already it has made me feel less stressed and more on top of things.

{29} Task completed: Made the decision that’s right for me but might disappoint a friend. This is a weight off my shoulders.

Almost there… I gave myself until 8:00 pm Friday, so it’s looking possible…

perry417

{30} Freecycled = two large glass vases.

{31} My son wanted to watch a movie, realized the DVD was split – out it goes without a second’s thought.

{32} Lots of small size play-dohs – out. These are old, my kids haven’t asked to play with play-doh in a long time, and it’s not worth it to see if any of them are high enough quality to pass along. Just trash.

{33} Water balloons (they were in a plastic bag in our carport and are now mixed in with leaves, so just a mess) and a “water balloon pumper” (Unitasker Wednesday item, I’m sure) which was always too difficult for kids to use themselves and too annoying for adults to use – out.

sleepykitten

I just scheduled a dentist appointment! I’ve been procrastinating on that one for almost a year…my teeth and gums are a wreck, which makes me embarrassed to go, and starts a vicious cycle.

But…ta-da! Task vanquished! So my magic number so far this week is 22.

clutterbug22

returned 2 library books=18
    Couple of semi-deflated party balloons=19
    Rest of jar of olives thrown, didn’t taste quite right=20
    Unsubscribed to 1 email=21
    Deleted 100 emails=22

perry417

{34} We had one of those tanks for helium balloons. Found the instructions for recycling; called our recycling service to check (no); looked at Solid Waste Authority for recycling (no). Prepped and dumped tank in trash, cardboard in recycling. Bummer.

{35} Task completed – registered as an adult volunteer with Girl Scouts (required a phone call because of duplicate records in the system).

{36} Out with three sets of placemats. One was always too difficult to clean; one was too thin to really protect my table from hot plates; one had the colors run in the washer so I was avoiding using them but held onto because I got them at an arts show one time. Wow, I have just been dealing with overstuffed drawers instead of getting rid of things.

{39} Speed cleaned three drawers in dining room – out with various junk, including kids’ art supplies that are truly not going to be used again.

{38} Task completed – made a dentist appointment (thanks for the reminder, @sleepykitten). Have been meaning to do this since July.

{39} Tasks completed – many online tasks so I’ll jam this all into one item. Ordered Scholastic books for my daughter; renewed 3 books from the library (since I have just cleared out my overdue fines to zero, don’t want to add more); checked on Sign Up Genius to be certain other parents have signed up for snacks for the games this weekend (they have, and for next weekend too); paid bills, including annual car taxes, for my family and for my mother, and balanced her checkbook.

Okay — just 11 to go!

perry417

{40} I had broken a part off the bin in our freezer a while ago, and we tried to fix it with super glue but it wasn’t working (probably because of the cold temps). Hung onto the broken bin for a while. Looked online today for a replacement, which is $50. Decided we don’t need a bin at all – not buying a new one, and trashed the old one.

{41} New dress for daughter is great, belt that came with it is tight – out with the belt.

{42} Out with a mousepad and a keyboard pad – not using anymore with the switch from desktop computer to laptop computer.

sleepykitten

Great job, Perry! You have done *so much work*.

I did three more tasks, which brings me up to 25.

And then, although it feels a bit like cheating, I spent a LOT of time the past few days unsubscribing from e-newsletters and deleting various old files, e-mails, etc. I sort of lost count – but there was a LOT of unsubscribing happening…I have no idea how all these people got my address. So I am sure I got up to 50 and I’m declaring it a “win”.

perry417

{43} Exchanged two shirts (gifts) that I was so-so about, for one shirt that I like and will wear a lot of.

{44} Tried to freecycle 35 legal-sized hanging files, but got no takers. Posted it on Facebook and my church’s music director will be taking them off my hands today.

{45} Refilled my kitchen soap dispenser, finished up the larger refill bottle, recycled.

{46} Posted to Freecycle = 4 glass salad bowls – we have others we use more often, and I have not needed this back up set for a long time.

{47} Posted to Freecycle = an unopened package of 4 x 6 recipe cards – I don’t handwrite recipes, that’s not my system.

{48} Posted to Freecycle = an unopened package of recipe book pocket page refills.

{49} Posted to Freecycle = 12″ x 18″ frame – I had bought two for a craft project, used one, decided I didn’t need the other, but hang onto it for so long I can’t return it to the store.

{50} Will offer to some friends next Monday* when I see them = flower shaped cake pan – used it for my daughter’s birthday a few years ago, it’s been collecting dust ever since; toddler and pre-K music CDs and DVDs that my children have outgrown.

* cheating just a little and posting what I’ll do next Monday because I am t-i-r-e-d!

So that’s my fifty. Woo-hoo! Wow, what a challenge this turned out to be. Reporting in to this forum kept me going for the past several days. My eyes have been opened to the money I waste with impulse purchases here and there, or not taking care of things immediately, or not taking a minute or two to just something done and instead let it build up.

I’m pleased with all I did and thank you for indulging my rambling posts. I think I’ll slow the pace back down to one thing a day… but when I need a burst of energy, I’ll come back and try the 50 again. πŸ™‚

PJ

Whoo Hoo! Well done, Perry! And setting things aside to offer to others or donate totally counts – I haven’t done a run to the thrift store to drop off for a while, but my accumulated outs are all still dealt with, IMO, because the decision has already been made.

And sleepykitten, it’s more than ok to count each electronic thing, be it an e-mail or a subscription or a bookmark! All those things clutter up our lives and make it hard to find what we need, when we need them.

Endof20s

2 dead plants pulled and trashed
    7 white bowls
    1 blanket from a trip to Mexico in 2000

Gave away:
    1 plastic container (to Mom)

Total: 11 items

Grand total: 43

A little shy of my 50 goal but not bad considering the horrible week that I’ve had. Tomorrow I’ll be giving away a bunch of puzzles and games to some cousins of mine.

clutterbug22

Well done Perry417 and End of 20’s!

I’m giving myself an extension, still got quite a few items to declutter!,

Bag of rotting carrots into the composting=23

Endof20s

I could probably get 50 from my freezer in about an hour but trying to stay focused on the house stuff!

Found out I’ll have a house guest starting Monday so I would like to clean out at least half of the closet in that room. Ambitious but I can do it.

clutterbug22

2 tea-lights used up=25

Endof20s

Week #2 Yes, I’m getting a head start! πŸ™‚

To the dump:
    4 cans of paint
    1 can of spray paint
    1 dirty oil filter and gallon of used motor oil

Donating:
    2 coloring books
    3 boxes of crayons
    1 fancy box a friend gave me

Total this week: 12
    2 week total: 43 + 12 = 55

clutterbug22

Finished bottle of wine given as gift=26

Endof20s

Donation/Freecycle pile:
    1 trash can

Giving away:
    8 puzzles

Returning:
    1 shirt
    1 pair of pants

Total this week: 23
    2 week total: 43 + 23 = 66

clutterbug22

Deleted 100 emails=27
    Deleted 3 searches off ebay so won’t get any more incoming notification emails=30

sleepykitten

Keep it up! I have had my fill of “50 by Friday” weeks for a little while, but I’ll be watching for everyone’s updates!

clutterbug22

I know it’s gone past Friday but thought I’d attempt to catch up to 50 as I’ve sorted a few things today.

Returned 2 Tupperware boxes, some party plates and an umbrella lent to me=34
    Out-baby float suit=35
    Pair of swimming armbands=36
    2 x outgrown girls swimsuits=38
    5 half used birthday candles=39
    Old jigsaw into recycling=40
    Various birthday banners to donate=41
    DH shredded a load of papers=42
    Plus he got rid of some old cd cases=43
    5 items of clothing into recycling=48
    Pair of unmendable shoes into bin=49
    Soft toy doll to donate=50

Caught up for Week 3!

clutterbug22

Now onto Week 4!

Scarf, a pair of kids jeans and a pair of little wellies to dress agency=3
    Box of about 21 audio-cassettes, will try charity shop or otherwise it’ll have to be the bin.=4
    6 x cd’s to charity shop=10
    4 x dvd’s=14
    3 x kids paperbacks=17

sleepykitten

You are an uncluttering machine, clutterbug!

clutterbug22

Only when I can get that machine running at full throttle sleepykitten, very often it stalls! πŸ™‚

happymonkey

First two days of my Fifty by Friday times two which I started in the mega weekend challenge thread:

1-7: 7 coats/jackets — I finally started going through my coat closet.
    8-9: 2 camisoles I’ve had several years and never worn.
    10-15: 6 items from my underwear drawer.
    16: Cheap bracelet I never wear.
    17-18: 2 books — still need to go through my bookcases.
    19: Black sandals I never wear.
    20: Plastic drawer organizer I don’t like.
    21: Shell-shaped napkin ring that’s been in my junk drawer for several years – no idea where it came from.

79 to go. I need to get moving tomorrow.

irishbell

Still a bit wiped from this bug, but I don’t usually start this challenge before mid- week and I’ve managed to get over 30 items for two weeks now! Whoever started this- a big thanks!
    Like I’ve said before, I’m pretty much all or nothing- so thus is super motivating for me.
    I’ve got 2 items of large furniture leaving today with dd#1 for her new home!
    3 dishes for dd#2 also.

clutterbug22

5 x holey socks to recycling=22
    Large Christmas battery-operated moulded decoration=23
    4 x books=27
    2 x dvd’s=29
    1 kid’s car booster-seat=30
    1 broken crocodile hair clip=31, leant on it last night, heard a loud snap and thought it was my glasses, phew!

clutterbug22

A bag of carrier bags to go to charity shop to use=32
    2 x gone-off body lotion and essence oil=34
    Bag of socket protectors=35, kids are beyond the toddler stage so don’t think I need them!

happymonkey

22-23: Two dresses
    24: Wool suit
    25-36: 12 depression glass plates
    37-42: 6 depression glass sherbet cups
    43-44: 2 glas things with scented sticks – not sure what they’re called
    45-46: 2 heavy winter coats
    47: One more item from underwear drawer

53 to go! I need to go through my bathroom cabinets and toiletries today.

irishbell

Total 33, including:
    6 frames
    Hood to jacket( I despise hoods)
    Jewelry holder
    Large carry bag
    large box that held photos
    Consolidated 3 boxes of photos, frames
    Rearranged some furniture in den
    Rearranged my walk in closet to a more eye pleasing and practical way
    4 pieces of embroidery I was saving of my grandmas
    Massage pillow
    Two shelf shoe rack
    2 baby books- will give to dds
    2 sheets
    Dried flower bouquet
    2 large plastic bags I was storing blankets in, consolidated the blankets
    Clothes, furniture and dishware from earlier in the week

clutterbug22

Used up bath gel=36
    Red, white and blue paper chain bunting=37. Both of the Olympics are over and the Jubilee was over before the summer holidays! Think it is time to bring it down now!

Keep it up guys!

sleepykitten

It’s Friday! I bet all of you – clutterbug, irishbell, happymonkey – can make it to 50 today!

clutterbug22

I’ve done nothing today, sleepykitten! Just need 13 more to do.

clutterbug22

Some over-ripe bananas into composting=38
    A book of ds’s to give to his friend=39
    2 jackets to dress agency=41
    nail varnish in horrible colour, to donate=42
    1 paperback book=43
    4 x unused kids workbooks that are too easy for them now=47
    4 x magazines=51

Done it!

Shall I go for another week?!

djk

Go for it, Clutterbug! You’re going gangbusters:)

happymonkey

Great job, clutterbug22! I played hooky with a friend this afternoon so I’ve spent the last couple of hours playing ketchup:

48: expired vitamins
    49: expired saline spray
    50: Frisbee with restaurant logo
    51: bought shower gift for wedding shower this weekend
    52-53: made two phone calls I’ve been putting off
    54: eye mask
    55-56: two sauce spoons buried in junk drawer
    57: mini spatula, never used
    58-59: nail polish
    60: consolidated two bottles of nail polish remover into one
    61: cleaned out first aid box and threw away expired neosporin and cortisone cream

39 to go. I’m extending my “Friday” to Sunday to get to my goal of 100. Clearly I shouldn’t have played hooky today, but it was worth it. πŸ™‚

irishbell

Didn’t sleep well last night, woke up with a headache that lasted all day…
    Got a few more odds and ends tossed today but not past 40. However 3 weeks in a row I got to mid 30’s, not half bad.
    I have to be careful I’m not tossing just to toss…. πŸ™‚
    Great job to the rest of you!

clutterbug22

Thanks everyone! Think I will do another week, I’m still waiting for it to make a difference, still looks cluttered, so I’ll keep going!

sleepykitten

@irishbell – absolutely! It is totally unsustainable to get rid of things “just because”. I try to push myself to unclutter with vigor, but if I start feeling like I’m not thinking through my decisions, I force myself to take a break. The number “50” doesn’t matter all that much – but it’s pushed you to make a massive amount of progress, so that’s awesome!

@clutterbug – a phenomenon a lot of us have noticed is that the more you unclutter, the lower your tolerance becomes for clutter. You’ve gotten rid of something like 200 things lately, right? So I am sure that, if you had taken “before” and “after” pictures, you would see a difference. Of course, you should still keep going – you are on a roll and there is more work to do! And I’m going to join you.

I took a week off from the 50 by Friday last week, but I think I am going to go for it again this week – some combination of things out and tasks completed. Today is Saturday morning where I am, so it’s time to get to it!

clutterbug22

sleepykitten,
    I’ve spent about 4 1/2 hours today decluttering about a third of ds’s bedroom, (under the bed, the floor and his toy shelves). I’m glad to say that I CAN actually see a BIT of a difference here!! Not quite a much of a mine field as before plus it has all been vacuumed and one area of the carpet cleaned. I am pretty tired and there’s the drawers and boxes of ‘little bits and pieces’ to go through although ds did manage to sort the best part of one drawer.

Ds’s bedroom has proved to be a good kick-off for Week 5!
    So here goes….!

Week 5

Faded alphabet poster, he’s too old for that now anyway=1
    6 packaging boxes for toys into recycling, to make way for new toys he’s had for birthday=7
    Dried out foam clay kit=8
    ‘Swamp Monster’ kit that didn’t work=9
    Broken train=10
    abacus=11
    Incomplete plastic T-Rex head=12
    2 used up play books=14
    Bag of collected up rubbish=15
    Broken bats=16
    2 broken guns=18
    2 plastic targets of which 2 other guns had broken so dont need the targets=20
    3 fuzzy targets that you throw balls at that stick=23
    Plastic toy=24
    2 rusty 3-4ft iron bars (yes, you read right!!) that ds has secreted from the nearby wood, think they will be making a hasty return there!!=26

and to change the scenery a bit, 1/2 a can of famous brand mushroom soup that I think is too slimy. Had the first half tin, saved the rest in the fridge but thought I’m never going to finish it off so got it out of the way before it had a chance to grow!=27

clutterbug22

1 dried up marker=28
    used up hand cream=29

BTW What do the tags ‘Published’ and ‘Updated’ mean?

sleepykitten

I have no idea what those tags mean…a mystery…

My number so far today is a somewhat sad 4.

3 items purged and one task crossed off the list. I have done a lot of cleaning, but only “routine” stuff that I don’t count toward challenges. And then I might have taken a catnap! πŸ™‚ It is a very cold, wet, dreary day. Good napping weather.

I’m definitely going to knock a few more tasks of the list before the day is through.

Swede

@clutterbug – This is why I like posting at this forum… When I feel like I’m not getting anywhere I read through my postings to see the lists of stuff that is now gone. Also, when trying to tackle a big project like 50 items in a few days I tend to grab the easy stuff: the unused stuff from cabinets and drawers meaning it wouldn’t be clearly visible. But I still know I did progress. Try to look at how much you’ve accomplished instead of how much you have left. πŸ™‚

Endof20s

I’ve just donated 8 puzzles to a family member! woot!
    So glad to have those out of my house and guest room. Next up I’m going to look at the glass bottles and jars I’m saving.

Finally cleaned up my office by dusting the desk, cleaning up the papers and cleared off the pet bed for my dogs.

A friend mentioned that when you put your purse on the ground or anywhere in public and then on your kitchen counter there gets to be a ton of crap and dirt that transfers. Ew. So I’m clearing off the kitchen counters and cleaning those this weekend too…

Anyone else have random revelations like these that lead to spontaneous cleaning?

irishbell

endof20s- I also saw/read about the purse thing.
    Women’s desk areas tend to have twice as many germs as men’s desk /workspaces,
    due to placing the purse on the floor and then onto their desk!

canuckeh

Just did 50+ items of clothing and socks. It’s my third pass through the closet, though I am still in the early days of purging. Socks were about half the total. Bonus was I found my nice wool cap and gloves for running as the weather turns cold. In past, I would have gone out and repurchased these items, having no clue where I’d placed them over the summer.

djk

We had an amazing Thanksgiving dinner at a friend’s place–great food, good wine, fun conversation, and an angelic toddler in a pinstripe suit and a toy cell phone, clearly a future stockbroker) and American football on tv (still don’t understand the game, but wth.)

*groans a little and rubs bloated tummy*

djk

And in the spirit of Thansgiving, I am thankful for work I enjoy, a healthy and fun marriage, and living in a beautiful city where the government offers so much to its inhabitants

djk

….and…I meant to post this in the “one nice thing” thread…
    …bit did I mention, great wine at dinner??? Because clearly I’m under its influence…

clutterbug22

Thanks Swede, yes, it’s true. Quite a few of the items will be stuff that wasn’t out in the open, much of the stuff has been from in cupboards and drawers, in boxes or from under the bed. I’m really looking forward to the time when there will be a real impact. Like you say, looking back at what has been uncluttered is a good reminder of how much has gone out but it’s also a bit scary to think of just how many thousands of things that we own, well, myself anyway! I shall keep plugging away!!

Broken glass makes it up to 30 items so far.

Hello to canuckeh, well done on your speedy 50!

I am going to do another round of the “Fifty by Friday” challenge. This numeric goal is really clearing out some much needed stuff. A friend of mine ask me how I go about working on this challenge. If I just carry a trashcan around and toss things.
    Here’s how I work on this:
    1. Tidy the house
    2. Then I go to spot, drawer, shelf, basket and quickly go through and pick what needs to go rather than focusing on the whole room or area.
    3. Take all the items that are either donated, recycled, trashed and put on my kitchen table
    4. list them out either on paper or type in computer
    5. quick picture-which has become just part of my process of getting things done.
    6. clear off the table and put everything where it is to go-trash, donation bag, recycling bin.
    I’m sure there is many different ways to do these type challenges. What works for you?

clutterbug22

4 x books from dh donated =34 items

momwalker, I think I use a similar method of picking a particular area and going through it, eg part of a particular cupboard (clothes, toys etc), a drawer,etc plus just adding general things used up daily or sorted using the 15 mins slot of decluttering daily like in Ella’s thread (such as sorting through a part of a pile of papers to get rid of a couple of magazines etc.) Obviously, it’s nice to be able to focus on a particular area as you’re more likely to get a good hit of things out (like Canuckeh’s socks!! – see above post)

That’s one of the reasons I decided to make another round of this. My sock monster isn’t large enough for the 15mins to tackle thread. But large enough that if I dive in and get started more would probably be out of here than ATAD.

sleepykitten

@momwalker –

Good question about the “approach”. I like to take a 3×5 index card and draw little boxes that I then check off as I find things. So I might make a card with 50 boxes for a challenge like this, or I might break it up by making a card with “Get rid of 10 things real quick!” written on the top and then ten boxes drawn below that I can check off with a red marker. I date the index cards and use them for “reporting” since I don’t keep lists or take photos of what I get rid of. (Obviously, I recycle the index cards after a week or so.) The cards keep me motivated.

In terms of finding the clutter, I also try to pick one area or one box and go through it, trying to reduce as much as possible. I no longer have enough clutter to get the “big payoff” of a bunch of extra space, but surprisingly, I can still often find a few things hidden in a drawer or box!

I also keep lists of things as they occur to me – I might be at work and remember that there is an old, unused string of Christmas lights in the basement, for example. I write it down and then go unclutter it when I get home.

There is also a “reverse list” technique where I might visualize a section of my house and write down everything that I want to keep – without actually being in the room. Then when I get home, I see if there is anything extra that I forgot about and don’t need. That technique takes some time, but I find it is a actually a fun relaxing way to clear my head on my lunch break! πŸ™‚

Probably I sound “obsessive” to people who are NOT interested in minimizing their home – but I almost look at it as an enjoyable hobby, and there are worse ways in life to relax! πŸ™‚

Swede

@sleepykitten – I totally do lists at work as well… If I don’t write it down, by the time I come home I will have forgotten all about it. πŸ™‚

clutterbug22

Sorted out the bootom of my airing cupboard where the extra toiletries are stored.

1 cosmetic bag in dated fabric-will wash and donate=35
    old pumice brush=36
    2 x non-slip bathmats=38
    1 new bed valance, not a colour that we need=39
    1 nail varnish in colour I don’t like, to donate=40
    2 mini perfumes I don’t like the smell of, to donate=42
    3 eyeshadows=45
    old sunscreen in bin=46
    2 sets of gloopy nail varnishes in bin=48
    smelling salts, definitely vintage, think they were my nan’s!, in bin=49
    Another broken crocodile hair clip=50
    3 old lipsticks=53
    14 pieces of old make-up (count as 1)=54
    4 old make-up brushes (count as 1)=55
    E. Arden perfume, to sell or donate as too sweet for me=56

That’s Week 5 done!

While looking for DH’s wooly hat, emptied a small tub in the hall closet. My two pairs of gloves can go into the bedroom closet, some vacuum cleaner parts either belong to machines we no longer own or should be with the old vacuum we gave to MIL — now have an EMPTY shelf in the hall closet! Might be a good place to put the sleeping bags to free up more room in the bedroom closet. Hmmm . . . .

canuckeh

Tackled the large bin of DS’s memorabilia that was doing no good stored in the dusty garage. From baby shoes, blanket, favorite sleepers…moving to young teen sports banners, soccer, baseball and basketball jerseys. Tried to do this before but put everything back untouched. This time, all but a very few items are going. I’ve kept a few stuffed animals in good condition for the GD’s visits. Sports banners were taken back by DS who will display them in his own basement. He’ll finish sorting and disposing of his jerseys that I felt responsible to hang on to for many years. Over 100 items taken care of and out the door.

clutterbug22

canuckeh, you’ve done well tackling these sentimental items!

canuckeh

50+ Items Out: 37 pens collected from hotels, conferences, auto repair and other businesses (not needed as we have plenty of better quality ones on hand). 2 oragami kits never used. 10 old books to make way for recent incoming ones, a new suit that I don’t need for work anymore, miscellaneous key chains and a brooch from the 80s that is now ‘vintage.’

perry417

Fell behind on my quest to do ATAD, so I’ve given myself the Fifty by Friday challenge this week to rediscover my motivation!

Actually, if I counted each of these items within these broad categories individually, I might be well over fifty already.

{1} Fridge – fruits & veggies drawer – got rid of the food of questionable age.

{2} Fridge – cheese drawer – ditto

{3} Fridge – drinks – ditto

{4} Fridge – leftovers – ditto; also labeled the still good stuff with dates!

{5} Tossed a broken tupperware lid that wasn’t closing properly

{6} Snacks/Cereals drawer – got rid of food of questionable age/expired, and things that are just lingering because no one really likes them; also recycled a bunch of packaging (we keep snacks in a bowl for kids to help themselves)

{7} Realized we have 12 water bottles for our 4 person family. Tossed 5 of them.

{8} Deleted 237 digital photos (in my ongoing project to bring order to the chaos and overwhelming [to me] number of my photographs!)

clutterbug22

Week 6

Dried up tube of glue=1
    3 x items of clothing to recycling=4
    used up tealight=5
    used up talc=6
    used up face scrub=7
    used up bubble bath=8
    2 x irons, 1 burnt out and another just about to=10
    3 x newspapers=13
    returned a big pumpkin as not now needed=14
    tube of old sunscreen =15
    Decanted washing powder into icecream tubs so I can store them in cupboard and not have a huge box standing around in the kitchen, into recycling=16

perry417

{9} Tossed three paper shopping bags that were too small to be useful.
    {10} Tried on everything in a miscellaneous pile of my clothes. One skirt into donation pile.
    {11} Tossing an old shirt of my husbands that turned into a smock for my son and is now not really being used for anything.
    {12} Donated a book to the library used book sale. It’s a big oversized coffee table book with Clint Eastwood’s face on the cover. Scary!
    {13} Task completed: Updated the operating system for my iPhone, updated podcasts and deleted old ones, updated apps, and synched my phone w/ my computer – it had been a while.
    {14} Out with an empty air freshener/oil diffuser
    {15} Mailed two DVDs to a friend
    {16} While looking in a file cabinet for a padded envelope to mail the DVDs, my eyes fell on a bunch of professional work binders etc. circa 2008. I am not currently in the paid workforce, and if/when I return, I could probably find this same information online. Tossed (recycled) 1.5 inches of papers. Will need to come back again another day to continue.

perry417

{17} Dropped off a bag to charity
    {18} Tossed the cut sunflowers that were past their prime
    {19} Cleaned and decluttered the laundry room. Remembered how much I like having everything in its proper place. It almost makes doing laundry tolerable. Almost.
    {20} Task completed: Finally caught up on my hand-washing pile o’ sweaters. I try not to buy hand-wash, but sometimes I forget to pay attention to labels. Six sweaters, a shirt and my daughter’s dress are now clean, and a laundry basket is empty.
    {21} I’m volunteering to run a silent auction for my son’s school, and I inherited a huge pile of envelopes from last year’s chair, all from donations received. Entered all of the information into a new Excel database, so I could toss (recycle) about 2 inches of paper! (More than 50 envelopes if I counted each one separately, LOL.)

Endof20s

I really need this challenge again as I’ve committed to Nov 3rd for the first monthly garage sale!

Biggest accomplishment was coming back from New York (week long trip with the boy) without any souvenirs! We took a ton of pictures that I still need to label but otherwise I’m free and clear of more “stuff”! wooo hooo!

I also pulled out my fall decorations and have some things that are too ugly to see the light of day; they’ll be going out. Here’s the start of this week’s list

(1 & 2) non slip bath mats (new to donate)
    (3) my entire stock of beads
    (4-12) craft paint
    (13) jewelry wire
    (14-17) elastic beading cord in multiple colors
    (18) stickers
    (19) crepe paper
    (20) magnets
    (21) water color paints
    (22) shoe laces
    (23) wooden sign (blank)
    (24) random blank christmas cards
    (25) small christmas gift bags
    (26) box of miscellaneous ribbons
    (27) bag of jingle bells
    (28) paint sponges
    (29) kid’s small storage chest (given to me by a friend)

So, if it’s not apparent, I cleaned out my crafts stuff! This is the beginning of a box going to my client who teaches art to children. I’m trying to get everything but the essentials out of my guest room and making good progress.

Endof20s

(30) pair of old slippers to the trash
    (31) trashed back scrubber thing that broken when I threw it out of the shower. To be fair, there was a spider on it.

Now resting because I think I cracked a rib coughing today so I’m decluttering my client records and business notebooks.

perry417

{22} Out with a hand-crafted pendant I bought at a cute little store in the spring when I was traveling — it must have been made poorly because it looks like the paper has a stain/beginnings of mold. Bummer.

{23} I have too many spiral notebooks for my constant list-making! Out with two; went through old lists and notes in three others, tore out the used pages, and kept them (but now they are “fresh and clean and new” even though they really aren’t.)

{24} I’ve been procrastinating on a project for a long, long time. Finally admitted I just am not going to do it — passed it along to someone else with a note of apology.

{25} Although this is “Fifty by Friday” I’ll stop with #25. I dropped off two big bags of donations to my church this morning, and they had at least 25 items in there.

Endof20s

(32) stack of old cell phone manuals (recycle)
    (33-35) old cell phone chargers
    (36) Phone book (recycle)
    (37-42) old ipod cases
    (43) 10 dry erase markers (to a client)

I’ve moved a bunch of stuff from my office closet to the guest room bed to sort. BIG plastic containers full of half filled notebooks, file folders, files, pictures, picture frames. Ug. I really need to get through them this weekend.

Right now I need to pick out 10 movies that I can sell/trade in on Amazon. Eeek.

Endof20s

Okay 31 movies are going out (easier than I thought!), first offering them to a friend and then listing on Amazon.

24 more movies are on the maybe list so they moved into the living room and I have until the end of the year to watch and enjoy them to make a decision. If I don’t want to watch it then it needs to go.

So that brings my weekly total up to 74 and possibly 98! But we’ll just say 74…

Dusting the DVD shelves and then going through my CDs to get them sorted and out of the house for next weekend’s garage sale!

clutterbug22

Deleted 100 emails (count as 1)=17
    2 x dried up felt tips=19
    Dried up glue stick =20

Filled up 2 boxes for ‘Operation Christmas Child’ with lots of small toys and toiletry items so I’ve got up to about 53 items now for Week 6. Won’t list the items individually but generally the items included doll, soft toys, McDonald toys, toothbrushes, flannels, scarf, mittens, exercise books, pencils, crayons etc. Was an ideal opportunity to get some small toy items out of the house!

Week 7 now.

Returned 2 broken items-a belt and a whistle-key finder that didn’t work=2
    5 pairs of shoes and boots taken to the dress agency to sell=7
    5 items of clothing to dress agency=12
    3 used up candles=15

Endof20s

Great idea on the Operation Christmas Child box, clutterbug! You’ve reminded me that I need to put together a box myself. Maybe I can take a pass through the bathroom for the “boy box” which is going to be a monthly gift I send to one of the Navy officers who served with my cousin (who passed away last month). I wanted to do something to honor his memory. Thinking razors, shampoo, toothpaste, mouthwash, batteries, stamps, treats and the occasional book or magazine.

Today I need to sort all of these “50 things” that ended up in the garage for the sale next weekend. I should also gather up my recycling and take that in on Monday to make more room in the garage.

clutterbug22

Endof20’s – Well Done with sorting out your movies and Good luck with sorting out those boxes of papers! Glad the Present box’ idea gave you a bit of an idea yourself. And so sorry to hear about your cousin.

Endof20s

I passed on the garage sale today since I’ve been sick for 2 weeks and need rest, not to push myself! Although I didn’t put out 50 things this week I most definitely decluttered a lot of expired food, miscellaneous bottles and jars, shredded papers, and lots of digital clutter as well.

I think I’ll pick this challenge up next week though, I have a few kitchen cabinets that I still need to purge (glass dishes and random small electronics) and then I can move onto the dining room hutch. Lots of glassware there to get out.

clutterbug22

Carrying on my Week 7, had a bit of a break as I was away this week.

Used up hand lotion=16
    dd used up her bubble bath at last, it’s been there months!=17
    dd is sorting out some of her toys to sell on ebay, will count those tomorrow and add them onto the list.

Started this morning in the laundry room.(posted in atad thread too-I need to do that more often)
    Gathered and tagged for “Barn Sale” next weekend
    1 mega hooded cloak(costume)$2
    1 lrg ornamental cross neckless-$1
    1 Rice cooker/steamer-$4
    1 Teapot $1
    1 white store bag of stained/ripped childrens clothes
    2 empty detergent containers
    2 empty fabric softener containers
    3 empty dryer sheet boxes
    1 non-working portable heater
    1 small bag of dryer lint(yuck)
    5 pairs of hubs unmentionables
    3 white(or use to be) t-shirts-rag bag

Adding to my sale pile(mountain)-putting together large list reason for prices
    1 coleman sleeping bag $3.50
    1 decorative candle holder(glass, large)-$2
    1 tiered planter box-$5
    6 unopened Air Wick motion sensor air fresheners(pssst kind)-$2.50 each
    2 Large mouth glass storage jars-$1 each
    1 accordian file box-$3
    1 george foreman grill-$4
    1 blender-$3

clutterbug22

Just finished Week 7 – took 2 weeks to do this so I have cheated really, but I was away for the best part of the first week so I’ll let myself off!

Decanted body lotion into dispenser I wanted to keep, surplus bottle to recycling=18
    Used up travel size cleanser=19

Did a bit of sorting in dd’s bedroom so-
    small incomplete jigsaw=20
    dried up glue and paint=22
    wooden jigsaw to donate=23
    2 x broken plastic toys=25
    catalogue and used magic painting book-recycling=27
    pair of old boots-bin=28
    2 x Christmas colouring books to donate=30
    5 small toys to donate=35
    surplus hair brush=36
    13 activity books donate/recycle=49
    5 x dried up pens/markers=54
    2 story books to donate=56

sleepykitten

I’m due for a “50 by Friday” this week – stagnant tasks (I know them when I see them) and things both count!

I’m WAY over due for a “50 by Friday” week. I need a HUGE push, because I’m a victim of physics: inertia has taken over completely! There are hundreds of things that need doing – tasks to be done, things to be disposed of, and more. My lack of accomplishments is bringing me down. I’ve decided this is the week to change. I’ll keep you posted.

sleepykitten

We can cheer each other on this week, @Letgoodtimesroll!

I say, if nothing on your task list is super urgent, you should knock out some easy things first and give yourself a good sense of accomplishment.

Sleepykitten – I really appreciate your advice and support. Here we go!

sleepykitten

I’m only at one stagnant task vanquished so far, but it was a good one – an overhead light fixture had partially fallen and I had tried and failed to reattach it. Finally found a handyman to come out: he was amazing and got it fixed in just a couple minutes. Yay!

I’ll try to step things up today or else I’m going to have a tough time reaching 50.

clutterbug22

momwalker, Well Done on rounding up loads of stuff for your Barn sale, glad it went well!

Week 8

Bit tardy in posting my items, only got up to 13 at the moment anyway, shall have to have a last minute ketchup this evening!

1 nightie – material has pilled and now it feels too scratchy when worn, to donate=1
    used up body lotion and used up bubble bath, still trawling through my toiletry stash!=3
    3 x Megasketcher toys to donate=6
    1″ of paper to recycle=7
    Dd’s pink fluffy rug to donate=8
    Disposable camera taken to be developed=9
    Old sauce from fridge that had separated=10
    2 items of clothing to recycling=12
    Took back library book=13

sleepykitten

Oh, gosh, I did NOT win this week. Maybe next week since we have time off for Thanksgiving holiday (but we are staying at home).

I BLEW it! Didn’t get anywhere near 50, unless you count the couple of hundred emails I finally deleted. Don’t know why I let them sit for so long. We’re going to friend’s home for Thanksgiving, so all I have to make is Emeril’s cranberry conserve. So, MAYBE I’ll try again!? Oh, yeah, I offered to drive 2 hours each way to pick up our friend’s daughter from college. Her parents have already made the trip twice this month, so she could be home for family birthdays. That’ll pretty much take care of Wednesday.

sleepykitten

@Letgoodtimesroll – I didn’t get there either, but it’s OK! πŸ™‚ And deleting your e-mails is a big deal…digital clutter takes up more space in your mind than you might think, so I actually believe you could count them if you wanted to.

I’m definitely trying again this week, so if you feel up to it, you should join me.

@sleepykitten – thanks for the encourage and pat on the back!

Okay, I’ll try again, too. If I don’t, nothing will get any better.

Endof20s

Got rid of 50ish CDs including throwing away 10 empty ones and putting the rest in a cabinet for donation.

Also got rid of a keyboard, DVD player, VHS player, and I’m working on emptying out a bookshelf so I can give it back to my parents after thanksgiving.

ninakk

Nice work everyone!

sleepykitten

Over 600 e-mails deleted and a random assortment of papers to the recycling bin…I think it is fair to count 100 digital objects as one physical object, so I’m at 6 so far this week…

clutterbug22

Still finishing Week 8,

5 items sold on ebay by dh=18
    some cardboard packaging for said items=19
    3 of dh’s books to charity shop=22
    (cheating really as all this done by dh, but it IS out of the house!)

sleepykitten and lkh, rooting for you guys, see if you can get there this week!

sleepykitten

Oh, I *am* going to get there this week – I have Wed, Thurs (Thanksgiving) *and* Friday off. In fact, I think I will actually re-start my count when I get home tonight…I actually think it will be more motivating to have a fresh slate for these three days off and get to 50 items purged/stagnant tasks completed without the momentum-killer of being at the office getting in the way.

Endof20s

I meant to start painting my office closet last night but fell asleep instead! It’s just about emptied and I will be putting my stacking glass bookshelf in the “out” pile for my parents to take back (it’s way too fragile for my house and doesn’t match my other items).

I’m hopeful that as I move things back into the closet space on Friday I’ll easily have my 50 to toss. College binders, sermon notes for a decade, memorabilia… better get out the big trash cans!

clutterbug22

To finish off Week 8 (although it has taken 2 weeks!)

1 large pot of nearly used up paint- went to use it on Tuesday but it smelt ‘off’, not just odd but eggy off. Didn’t know paint could end up like that, thought it certainly wouldn’t do to try it on the walls!=23
    2 x kids drinks bottles=25
    2 old wallets=27
    Glass jar I’d been keeping to use, now in recycling=28
    Used up hotel bubble bath freebie=29
    dried up superglue=30
    Used up cough medecine=31
    7 x book catalogues=38
    1″ of paper to recycling=39
    100 emails deleted=40
    2 books to donate=42
    9 magazines=51

sleepykitten

You guys may have seen from the “migraine” thread I started that Thanksgiving day was a complete waste – barely cooked dinner (and a smaller one than I was planning – side dishes went out the window) and no uncluttering. Yesterday was a bit better, but I only got a few small things done, as I was pretty exhausted.

Let me try one more time starting today. πŸ™‚

@clutterbug – you have gotten rid of so much stuff!!!

@Endof20s – let us know how you do with all the binders/papers/etc.

clutterbug22

SK, sorry to hear about your migraine and the ruined Thanksgiving, how frustating for you. Hope you are starting to feel better.

It sounds as if I’ve got rid of a load of stuff but it still doesn’t feel like that much of a difference especially as much of it is probably hidden clutter. Still, I shall keep going!

SK – I sure hope you’re feeling better.
    I did pretty well, even tho’ I didn’t hit 50. Unless you count each individual item!
    1. Pretty paper bag from Venice
    2. Xstitch chart(finished project years ago)
    3. 3 Hand-outs from Mesa Verde trip
    4. Several hotel lotions
    5. Handouts from trip to Washington,DC several yrs ago
    6. 4 old electronic airline tickets
    7. Instructions for loading 2004 TurboTax
    8. 6 old receipts
    9. Rubber “fund libraries” bracelet from “library day” at state legislature
    10. Old Book festival schedule
    11. Thank you note from second-cousin
    12. 3 old lists
    13. Newspaper clippings
    14. 2 Plastic bags from fromagerie on Rue Cler, Paris
    15. 2 old WW trackers
    16. Old WW mtg notes
    17. Shredded a bunch of misc. papers
    18. Free, unsolicited wrapping paper from non-profit
    19. 4 Huntington Museum handouts
    20. “Ding” Darling nature reserve bird list
    21. 8 handouts Yellowstone & Grand Tetons
    22. 2 Programs from plays
    23. Freebie 2010 calendar
    24. 2 Freebie notecards
    25. Old WW Kickstart booklet
    26. Old workshop handouts
    27. 3 Never tried recipes
    28. Counted Xstitch how-to instructions
    29. Exercise Handout
    30. Plastic file folder

I have been debating on yet another round of FBF challenge. This IS the year to purge through my Christmas decorations…oh my, there is so much to go through. Considering I think about how much Christmas decorations that I have throughout the year tells me that it is something that needs to been done.

clutterbug22

Go for it, momwalker, now’s the time to do it.

Lounger

I’m inspired to do Fifty by Friday too, two of which have to be two presents that I started making for friends a while ago. They’re both nearly done, I’d say about an hour to go on each, and I have to deliver / post them too so that they count. The other aim is to get the perpetual trouble-spot of my desk absolutely clear!

Good luck Momwalker, and anyone else who’s giving it a go.

Lounger

Little update – 16 things or groups of things chucked! Including a drawer unit from the kitchen. So glad that’s gone!

Endof20s

I’ve been going through the boxes that came out of the office closet and tossed about 2 banker’s boxes worth of papers! I’m organizing the things I want to keep and have a bag full of binders for Freecycle.

Other projects include buying new batteries (AA and AAA) so I replaced a few bad batteries and made a box for recycling batteries and spent light bulbs.

My parents are coming this weekend so the next projects include painting some baseboards so I can get those decluttered from my garage pile and installed!

Lounger

I’m up to 45 things! My desk is only half done and the two pressies are still unfinished but I’m loving the space that I’ve cleared. For the first time ever I know exactly what’s in my wardrobe. I’ve unearthed a bunch of other presents that I’ve bought during the year and squirreled away. I may well get to fifty things tomorrow.

@Endof20s – I’ve been putting all my papers and filing in one place but haven’t sorted it yet… Well done for getting rid of so much.
    G’night.

clutterbug22

Well Done Endof20s and Lounger!

Week 9
    Used up 4 x toiletries from the toiletry stash=4
    old iron (fell apart, perhaps the kids had dropped it?)=5
    Box from new iron which had been waiting in the wings=6
    Returned 2 x borrowed tupperware to MIL=8
    Packaging from dd’s birthday present=9
    3 x lightbulbs went this week (one went ages ago but the others were just cheap rubbish) Need to buy some more with less wattage as the only spares I had were 100w, the living room is like an interrogation room at the moment – slightly Bright!!)=11
    Small bag of old clothes for recycling=12
    Rusted pet mouse ladder=13
    Unravelled body puff=14
    Dh sold 2 x items on ebay=16
    Packing for above items=18
    Wooden puzzle=19
    Old pencil case=20
    Set of kids flashcards=21
    2 x ice-cream containers which had been used to keep stuff in=23
    3 used batteries=26

syrabrooke

This is actually a good idea. This is like a cleaning(decluterring)group. Okay maybe by friday I would clean my room and throw away all the unnecessary things. I’ll update my progress. πŸ™‚

Good luck to everyone.

Lounger

Good work Clutterbug22 and hello Syrabrooke.

Here’s my list from the last two evenings. Perhaps I’ll hit 50 later today? (Or maybe I’ll just relax with a glass of wine and a film….)

1 Darkroom tray
    2 Coffee travel press in box
    5 3 x DVDs
    6 Hair band
    7 Belt
    8 Purse
    9 Laptop lock
    11 2 x travel pass holders
    12 6 x magazines (Counted as one)
    19 7 x books
    20 Pair of socks (too small)
    21 Present – wrapped and ready to give to friend
    22 Another one, wrapped and ready for Christmas
    23 Cat litter tray and scoop (unused, bought to make a gruesome Halloween dessert but never got around to it)
    24 18 x more presents – all now in a box and ready to be wrapped. I’ve been buying things as I see them all year for this Christmas and they’ve got scattered around the place. Just unearthed some more in the bottom of the wardrobe. Counted as one, as they haven’t technically left the house yet.
    25 Bunch of junk from kitchen drawers – some for charity, much chucked. Some of it has been there longer than I’ve lived here! Counted as one – can’t be bothered to count it all.
    26 Kitchen drawer unit – been meaning to break this up and get rid of it for years because it was in the wrong place. Fridge now where drawers were. Wire baskets happily holding saucepans etc.
    27 Pack of 100 cable-ties (just kept a couple, for Justin Case). Hey -I could count this as 96 items couldn’t I?)
    28 Waterproof jacket.
    29 Green flat shoes
    30 Leopard flat shoes. (Sniff… I’ll miss them)
    31 Blanket
    32 Red handbag
    33 Blue handbag
    34 Big weekend bag – forgot I’d got it and so never use it.
    35 Small ruck-sack. Recently bought a large one that doubles as camera bag and don’t think I’ll ever be trekking without the camera.
    36 Several plastic and paper bags
    37 One straw hat
    43 Grey jacket, Skirt, Blouse, Blouse,T-shirt,Cardi
    44 Large jewellery box that came with necklace.
    45 Huge book, still in cellophane, Never opened in years I’ve had it.

Endof20s

It would probably be too much work to count but I’m pretty sure 50 items are in the donation bins going out to the garage today! They include:

a grinch christmas tin I’ve never liked
    a silverware caddy for thanksgiving (why?)
    7 deflated mylar balloons and a weight
    2 games of backgammon (spare games I might add)
    a bunch of gift bags
    all of my other christmas wrapping paper (keeping silver and brown)
    the bows in two large containers
    2 blank scrapbooks in blue
    a Valentine’s day gift bag
    a dozen or so binders that I’ve emptied

Also giving to my mom
    4 CDs she wants
    a folder full of papers that belong to my brother

So I am working on an adapted version of FBFC. Doing a mini 25 weekend. Once I get more Christmas stuff out I will hopefully get to 50 though.
    1. paper cup of change from the car- change in change bucket, tossed cup
    2. 1/2 white bag of misc papers and trash from the car-trashed
    3. 2 empty dish washing liquid containers-rinsed into recycle bin
    4. Several Christmas ornaments- messed up, ugly, misc reasons- trashed
    5. Extension cord that had dangerous places on it-trashed
    6. 1 hot roller- lost from a set I got rid of earlier-trashed
    7. cordless phone- donation bag
    8. stack of old Christmas cards- recycling box
    9. 1 completely dried out bottle of new skin-trashed
    10. stack of newspapers loaded for recycling
    11. cleaned out my in and OUT(I usually forget that one) boxes internet group
    12. Lemons, Limes, grapes, cucumber, slaw mix- tossed from the frig
    13. Oatmeal container, small basket, and small boxes- trashed from the counters
    14. 1 basil plant- tossed, never done well once I brought in indoors
    15. 1 worn thin beach towel- cut up into rags- into rag bag

clutterbug22

Finishing off Week 9:

Unused eye gel that had gone brown, definitely not using that!=27
    Some old plastic page covers=28
    3 x cd’s=31
    A cardboard model house that kids had made for their pet mice=32
    Old Pringles crisps container from kids bedroom=33
    Bag of carrier bags for recycling at supermarket=34
    100 emails filed/deleted=35
    2 x dried up pens=37
    13 x books to ds’s Xmas Fayre book stall=50

Now onto Week 10!

6 x books for charity shop=6
    computer mouse mat=7

Great job Clutterbug!

My mini 25 weekend challenge didn’t go well. My son came over for supper(always love those kinds of stop in’s, I really miss him not being here.) I also was stung by a yellow jacket sorting laundry…ugh! Anyway, I am determined to complete what I started. Hopefully will be able to come back and update where I left off.

I finished my mini 25…whew, I struggled with this one.

1. paper cup of change from the car- change in change bucket, tossed cup
    2. 1/2 white bag of misc papers and trash from the car-trashed
    3. 2 empty dish washing liquid containers-rinsed into recycle bin
    4. Several Christmas ornaments- messed up, ugly, misc reasons- trashed
    5. Extension cord that had dangerous places on it-trashed
    6. 1 hot roller- lost from a set I got rid of earlier-trashed
    7. cordless phone- donation bag
    8. stack of old Christmas cards- recycling box
    9. 1 completely dried out bottle of new skin-trashed
    10. stack of newspapers loaded for recycling
    11. cleaned out my in and OUT(I usually forget that one) boxes with online group
    12. Lemons, Limes, grapes, cucumber, slaw mix- tossed from the frig
    13. Oatmeal container, small basket, and small boxes- trashed from the counters
    14. 1 basil plant- tossed, never done well once I brought in indoors
    15. 1 worn thin beach towel- cut up into rags- into rag bag
    16. 2 graters that were rusty
    17. 1 tree skirt-donation bag
    18. 3 artificial trees (3ft) boxed up for donation bin
    19. 2 lighted tree stars-donation box
    20. 2 boxes of gold glass ornaments-donation box
    21. 2 wreaths (undecorated)- donation box
    22. 1 large snowman table ornament- donation box
    23. 1 unopened charlie brown christmas tree-donation box
    24. 1 broken up old gingerbread house-trashed
    25. 1 fur stocking-donation box

clutterbug22

Thanks momwalker!

Deleted 100 emails=8
    Another Pringles crisp tin (found behind sofa!)=9
    Bunch of receipts from car and purse=10

Lounger

Wow… Clutterbug, you’re on a roll! I’ve found more to chuck this week and have found it really easy to keep the place tidy and actually get on with more interesting things since last Friday. Perhaps It will last this time?

clutterbug22

Thanks Lounger! Hopefully will keep it up till the end of the year!

Just to add for this week-
    Old custard powder that had gone stale=11
    Used up shampoo and a mini bottle of cleanser from toiletry stash=13

Lounger

Only eleven to add for last two weeks. Oops. Perhaps I’ll find another 39 things before this Friday. My bedroom is so much easier to keep tidy now, thanks to Fifty by Friday and big thanks to all you Unclutterers. Should have done this years ago!

Edited to add the list of junk:
    2 pairs earrings, 1 teacup, 5 DVDs, String of broken fairy lights, Portable aerial, Jumper, Black shirt.

sleepykitten

YAAAY, @Lounger! I’m so glad that you can notice a big difference in your bedroom – so inspiring!

I think I’m up for another 50 by Friday challenge…or at least, as close as I can get. Given the holidays coming up, we will have visitors with a car so getting donations to the thrift store will be possible without having to lug them on the bus in the cold. A good time to push extra-hard with uncluttering.

sleepykitten

Already 5 things into the box! 2 books, 2 CDs, 1 pair of shoes.

The interesting thing is that of those, 1 book, 1 CD, and the shoes all ALMOST got decluttered in a big push around 6 months ago, but I decided I would keep them. After not using them for 6 months, I’ve realized it really is time for them to go. I think it is interesting how sometimes we need a few false starts and/or a little more time sitting with an item before we are sure.

Lounger

@sleepykitten Lots of what’s gone from my place in the last month was similar: things that I’d picked up, though ‘Mmmm not sure’ and put back again previously. The batwing jumper that I really loved the colour and shape of, but the silly arms meant it was impossible to wear a coat over so I never wore it, the black shirt that I’d put on many times for work and then promptly taken off again in favour of something more colourful.

Also, so many gifts that really didn’t suit me or my home, but lingered because of the guilt I thought I’d feel getting rid of them. I didn’t feel any guilt…. just a nice glow when I took it all to a charity shop knowing that money would be raised for a good cause by its sale, when someone who will like it / use it / appreciate it buys it.

Endof20s

Out or fixing 25 things this weekend:

1. 2 slab mirrors and guides on Craigslist!
    2. dresser & attached mirror (parents took it)
    3. stacking glass bookshelf (parents took it)
    4. 3 large plastic tubs (parents took it

Lounger

*Small injury alert*

My desk is finally clear of all but what needs to be on it! I gave myself 15 minutes, set a timer, was making good progress so did another 15. And another. Was just about done and leaning over the desk to put something away, when the timer buzzed, made me jump and I accidentally tattooed myself with an ink pen whose uncapped nib was upwards in the pen pot!

The pain was huge for a few seconds, and then huger when the nib wouldn’t come out of my finger without a lot of wriggling. I’ve washed and inspected the finger and nib. Nib seems intact so I don’t think there’s any embedded in the wound. Serves me right for not chucking a pen with no cap.

Anyway – clearing the desk led to another 20 items going.

Box that necklace came in. Tiny gorgeous necklace, huge ugly box. (Got lots more of these to go).
    2 old bottles medicine.
    Thingy from old mop
    2 old batteries
    Old lipstick.
    Broken keyring
    Two unsuccessful attempts at making lino-cut printing blocks.
    Huge old lightbulb. Dunno where that came from.
    Book
    Guilt alert! Handmade present from a friend.
    Souvenir programme
    To-do list from October. Oops.
    Paper recycling – odds and sods
    Lip balm
    Broken window lock
    Freebie sample of moisturiser. Ancient.
    Keeping the pen in case I find the lid.

sleepykitten

Whooo-hoo! Great progress. I got home too late last night to unclutter – but I have a list of stuff to add to my 50 by Friday stack when I get home from work today….

sleepykitten

After getting permission from DH tonight for a few shared-but-not-used items, I am up to 15 things “out” for this week. I need to step up the pace, I suppose, if I am going to hit 50 – but I’ll get there.

sleepykitten

So…it’s Friday. Been struggling with my monthly migraine yesterday and today, but I am up to 24 things OUT for this week, which I feel good about.

I suppose it is doubtful that I will reach 50 by the time the clock strikes midnight, but I am going to push to get as high a number as I can!

sleepykitten

Made it to 30 things last night! Added to the stuff already in our Outbox, we have a nice pile of things to donate when we have car access this weekend. Wheeeee!

Lounger

Fab @sleepykitten. I’ve done no more this week so my total remains at 20, or 31 for last three weeks. It’s getting harder to find things, but easier to make a decision about sentimental clutter. Most importantly the bedroom still feels blissful!

ron

I will make it a goal to get rid of 50 items by Friday December 28th

ron

30 items so far in the donation pile

clutterbug22

Go, Ron!

Didn’t finish off posting the rest of my Week 10 outs from ages ago so will just post them a bit late to tidy it all up.

5 x tealights=18
    Another very old eye gel=19
    Used up bubble bath from stash=20
    3 dried up glues=23
    2 bottle bags=25
    stretched hair band=26
    400 emails filed/deleted=30
    ‘8 step Home cure’ fresh flowers gone dead!=31
    Plastic tubing that had held sherbet=32
    4 x empty choc boxes=36
    5 carriers of xmas wrap in recycling=41
    bag of carriers to supermarket recycling=42
    Pile of packaging for xmas gifts=43
    2 boxes from xmas gifts=45
    3 x videos to charity=48
    3 x dvds to charity=51

ron

Thanks clutterbug
    threw out 5 more magazines and a binder. 2 books, a portable grill thats missing a cord, 5 used xmas bows a grey tee shirt, a bottle of old cologne, 4 dried up tubes of acrylic paint. getting rid of the donation pile to good will is my goal for Friday.

sleepykitten

Great job, @ron and @clutterbug!

ron

Hi Sleepykitten and thanks, dropped off the pile at the thrift store tonight. Really did not want to go, made a promise and kept it, out of the house it went! Next plan: 50 items by next friday from a closet and crawl space.

sleepykitten

Great, Ron! You are making good progress – but remember, it is OK to go slow or take a break if uncluttering is giving you anxiety.

I really struggle anymore to come up with 50 things in a week that I am ready to part with…therefore, I am going to do one last modified challenge to close out the year and then say goodbye to this thread and focus on maintenance (not bringing new stuff in, getting rid of at LEAST one thing for every new item that comes in, etc.)

Anyway, I am going to find 13 things to get rid of before the end of the year in order to start 2013 off right! (13 things…2013…)

ron

hi sleepykitten, I do have anxiety at times, im at the point now that its getting easier to throw out or donate stuff and the payoff is Im thinking a bit more clearly, my mind feels lighter and my rooms are clearing out becoming more managable, there are gaps of free space in my bookcases, and my hallway is clean and clutter free. Im off work today and plan to tackle the crawl space something I have been avoiding. I have a ton of paper clutter to sort through and im avoiding it for some strange reason. its easier for me to get rid of knick nacks and broken furniture and abandoned projects than it is to sort through years of paper clutter and some important documents that I have to get organized and put into a safe place. My goal for 2013 is to have an organzied brain, and focus on having an organized home and not bring home stuff from garage sales etc. Thanks for talking about “focus on maintenance” its something that I must establish as a habit.

sleepykitten

Hooray – I’m glad your mind feels lighter! That is fantastic!

Yes, paper clutter can take a long time to go through – you’ll just have to chip away at it bit by bit. Try to be ruthless in terms of what counts as “important” – obviously things like tax returns, wills, mortgage documents are important. But most paper isn’t really that important.

I like what you said about having an “organized brain” – a lack of clutter really helps with that. I want that, too: an organized and CALM brain. πŸ™‚

Lots of work posted within this thread. So glad you have gotten to the maintenance step in your de-cluttering sleepykitten. Can’t wait to get to that point myself **someday**as I drift off daydreaming**. Anyway, I am starting my 2013 off with another modified 50 challenge. This one will be 7 items for 7 days with a total of 49 or more items within the week. I look forward to seeing how much I can get done with this.

sleepykitten

@momwalker – the funny thing is, my tolerance for clutter keeps changing! A few months ago, I thought I’d “hit maintenance” – and then I realized that I actually could let go of MORE. So I might hang out on the ATAD thread as I find stuff to let go of, but at this point it will definitely be a trickle. Good luck in 2013!

Endof20s

4 glass bowls I don’t use
    lots of food from the pantry
    more candles I’m burning down

liag

sleepyk: I don’t think it ever ends once you’ve begun. One day I will be left with no possessions!

sleepykitten

@liag – I know what you mean! πŸ™‚ I’m shocked at how little I actually need to get by sometimes.

clutterbug22

sleepykitten, Lucky you – at the maintenance stage! Though a shame to not be seeing you much in this thread, ‘Happy Maintaining the Unclutteredness’ New Year!!

ron

15 items so far, trash was picked up today so I have an empty garbage can to fill up with paper trash. My bedroom is all cleaned up, vacuumed, cleaned the window, dusted – organized all the drawers, made the bed, parted with 2 pairs of pants, a ripped pair of jeans, shredded 10 papers of articles not worth keeping. Still have not got around to clean out the piled mountain in the spare room its full of paper clutter and stuff I need to neatly file

chacha1

You are doing great, Ron, just bask in that clean and tidy bedroom tonight!

Ron — an empty trash can is a wonderful thing. As is a clean bedroom — the spare room with be a snap.

ron

thanks chacha1 and susanintexas, I managed to throw out a bag of trash from my mountain pile in the spare room. The car is filled with a couple of boxes and 2 bags of stuff to donate, getting ready to leave now. I found a box full of change so im going to the bank to cash it. Im starting to find a home for everything. The recyle bin is full to the brim out on the curb. Its an awe inspiring feeling to get a good night sleep in a clean bedroom

clutterbug22

You’re doing so well, Ron! Glad that you are enjoying your ‘new’ bedroom, what a great feeling!

clutterbug22

Am carrying on with the ‘Fifty by Friday’ challenge in the New Year.

Week 11
    2 x empty spice jars that I was keeping ‘justin case’ I’d need them for refills, haven’t used them so they can go.=2
    Old food from fridge=3
    2 x mini bubble baths used up=5
    broken plate=6
    1″ pile of paper=7
    4 empty choc boxes from Christmas=11
    1 empty shortbread box from Christmas=12

clutterbug22

Did some sorting in ds’s bedroom-

Too small baseball cap (it’s too flat in the crown so keeps sliding off, not sure who it will fit!)=13
    dried out pen=14
    4 x pairs boys trousers=18
    2 x pairs pyjamas=20
    1 outgrown sweatshirt=21
    4 x magnetic letter books=25
    pair of outgrown rubber swim shoes=26
    swimbag=27
    book=28
    a picture=29
    1 x video=30

sleepykitten

What a great start to the new year, @clutterbug! πŸ™‚

clutterbug22

Thanks, sk!

ron

out – 10 picture frames, broken lamp, 5 cookbooks 3 self-help books, shreaded a box of papers, a wire rack, a set of old sheets, an end table that needed refinishing. 5 old socks. 3 paintings without frames. burned 4 notebooks from a job I had 13 years ago.it just never ends.

paisley

Ron, you have done so much over the past couple months! I don’t know whether you took pictures, but the difference must be amazing. There might be more to do, but we are all here cheering you on!!

I just finished round 2 of an adapted “7 items for 7 days challenge”. Really tempted to try each week for the month of January. I do really well with the numeric challenges. I guess because I don’t have to focus on a spot or area and can just bounce around plucking things from here and there:
    1. 1 bag of items from the freezer-trashed
    2. 3 empty box from the under the oven project
    3. 1 plastic container to the recycling
    4. 1 book “Well-being for Dummies” recycling
    5. 5 small pkgs of girls hair bows-added to the bow bag, tossed packaging.
    6 Tossed the old little girls hair bow bag(torn)
    7. 2 dried up hand sanitizers, trashed
    8. 1 empty hand lotion-trashed
    9. 2 old hair brushes
    10. 2 lids that I can’t figure out what they go to…trashed
    11. 1 broken fake pearl neckless trashed
    12. 1lb sausage from the freezer(freezer burned) trashed
    13. 1 cooking pot, trashed-everything stuck to it.
    14. 1 small basket-gave away
    15. 6 mags to recycling box
    16. 1 plastic measuring cup melted, trashed
    17. This weeks newspapers recycling box
    18. 2 cardboard broke down recycling
    19. 2 broke Christmas decorations trashed
    20. 2 shirts to donation bag too small

1/12 updating
    21. New license plate to my son for his new car-off the shelf
    22. 2 screws from the counter to put the license plate on
    23. trashed temporary tag
    25. Robe- donation bag too small
    26. 2 pair of pants trashed to small and too worn to donate
    27. 1 gift box broken down into cardboard box
    28. 3 Birthday cards..read and put into recycling
    29. 2 pair faded black sock trashed
    30. 2 coke codes sent for my end of a trade
    31. 2 coke 12-pk boxes out to recycling box
    32. 1 toothbrush trashed
    33. 6 packages of pudding mix, trashed, expired
    updated 1/13
    34. 2 large bags of trash from the storage room
    35. 1 bunt pan-donated never used it
    36. 1 car load of cardboard off to the recycling bin
    37. 3 shirts to the donation bag too small
    38. 4 movie cases trashed haven’t seen the dvd’s in years
    39. 1 old coupon binder, trashed
    40. 2 large plastic containers with broken lids
    41. several nearly empty spice containers-trashed
    42. 2 empty coffee containers-trashed
    43. small bags of sewing scraps-trashed
    44. old pin cushion-trashed
    45. jacket ripped never repaired from years ago-trashed
    46. small bag of misc trash from car-trashed
    47. outdated business cards-recycled
    48. outdated business flyers-recycled
    49. 2 old sewing patterns that was missing parts-recycled in paper bin

clutterbug22

Well Done, momwalker! Keep going for the rest of January, I’m still aiming for 50 each week!

Did a big sorting stint on Friday, so-

used up candle=31
    5 dressmaking patterns=36
    4 soft toys=40
    boys duffle coat=41
    kids ski outfit=42
    basket (the type that a potted flower comes in)=43
    4 x Xmas hats=47
    pair of socks=48
    empty choc box from Christmas=49
    empty box from Christmas biscuits for cheese selection=50

clutterbug22

Week 12

Been sorting out clothes today –
    1 belt=1
    1 handbag=2
    1 pair of tights=3
    7 x T-shirts=10
    2 x skirts=12
    4 x kids trousers=16
    3 x kids shorts=19
    1 pair pyjamas=20
    calico shopping bag=21

ron

Out – two boxes of stuff for donation, a box of assorted plastic containers into recyle trash.
    paisley I took some pictures today of what I have left in the spare room, no time to download them yet, It never seems to end, rooms are clearing out easily now. The paperwork is another story, a load of bills and junkmail in, and sorting it all out, just managed to shread 11 pieces of paper stuff. Got rid of 6 boxes of paper stuff, another 8 boxes to go, plus organizing my file cabinet.

clutterbug22

ron,
    Nice to hear that you can see a difference in your rooms, I’m feeling envious!

Another 13 items of clothing=34
    Charity picked up the bag so they are dealt with.

clutterbug22

Finishing off this week’s 50-

used up shower gel from toiletry stash=37
    used up glue=38
    Kid’s playmat=39
    6 x Christmas decorations=45
    a camping mess tin=46
    2 x bags of miscellaneous bath toys=48
    make-up bag=49
    Pair of outgrown plimsolls=50

And all the stuff has gone to the charity shop and is already out of the house!

ron

hi everybody, like reading the posts here, managed to get rid of another box of paperwork it gave me a headache felt I could of done more, had some upsetting feelings over my past when the house was robbed several times years ago and that was when I think I started to get disorganized. maybe this was the root of my hoarding, I don’t know, the box of paper work was from that time, brought up terrible sadness, I just got in my car and went to the trift store and donated a box of a few items and bought a book and 4 mugs, and when I got home I could not understand why I bought 4 mugs, so they sit in the trunk of my car. I may have made a connection by seeing what I’m writing here now, also know that what I got rid of last week were some items from that time period and it was hard to part with them.

luxcat

I don’t participate in this challenge so I never post, but I do love to lurk. Just wanted to say to Ron- your progress has been so impressive, don’t let the little setbacks get you down! From the outside it seems you are processing some very necessary emotions and realizing some key triggers to your hoarding. That’s huge! As long as you’ve got more going out than coming in, you’ll be fine in the long run πŸ™‚

Emotional triggers can be the hardest. I am not much of a collector myself but some of the items I have been unable to part with- and which others might consider low hanging fruit- have ironically been those which gave me comfort at one of the hardest times in my life, when I was quite young. Sometimes “stuff” can be quite a complicated thing… then again sometimes it’s just stuff πŸ™‚

clutterbug22

Ron,
    You’ve done the right thing by managing to get rid of the stuff that was giving you pain, Well Done to you.

Swede

What Luxcat and Clutterbug said! You’re doing great Ron. πŸ™‚

sleepykitten

@ron – your progress over the past couple months has been inspiring! There will always be “slip ups” – like the mug purchases. And there will always be things you *legitimately* want or need to purchase. The idea isn’t to stop buying things completely, but to think carefully about purchases and s..l..o..w down the amount of stuff coming into your home.

I’m glad you are seeing some of the emotional connections and confronting the fact that even though you had some tough times, you don’t HAVE to collect/hoard/clutter as a response to that.

Sometimes, when we are going through something frightening or traumatic, we don’t have the self-awareness to know why we are responding in the way that we are. My personal example is that I gained a lot of weight after being the victim of a crime. At the time, I wasn’t thinking at ALL about my weight and I barely noticed I was gaining. After a year or so passed, I realized I had a new weight problem to deal with – but I had to forgive myself for the past and just move forward, because I was coping in the only way I knew how to at the time.

At any rate, regardless of how you got to where you are, you are doing an excellent job of tackling the clutter head-on and we are all cheering for you!

s

Nicely said, sleepykitten! And great job, Ron!

I think your doing great Ron! Getting through the emotional stuff is the hardest but also the most rewarding…to me.

I am doing my modified fifty by Friday challenge for the 4th week in a row. It’s 7/7 (seven things for seven days-49 items a week). Here is where I am at so far for this 4th week, which runs till Monday Jan. 28th. Posting here to keep me accountable. Will probably add to the projects thread as well.

Projects:

1. large cast iron skillet-cleaned and re-seasoned
    2. small cast iron skillet- cleaned and re-seasoned
    3. sweater-repaired a picked hole(hubs)
    4. restuffed 2 indoor play basketballs

Donations: (already dropped off)
    5. bolt of outdoor banner fabric- royal blue
    6. bolt of outdoor banner fabric- orange
    7. bolt of outdoor banner fabric- black
    8. bolt of outdoor banner fabric- red
    9. bolt of outdoor banner fabric- yellow
    10. bolt of outdoor banner fabric- grey
    11. 6 yds of plaid canvas fabric
    12. 10 yds of med blue canvas fabric
    13. 4 yds of floral fabric
    15. 10 yds of white lining fabric
    16. 2yds of red felt
    17. 2yds of green felt
    18. bag of batting rolled
    19. bag of poly fil
    20. bag of poly fil
    21. 1 dozen iron-on rubber decals(girly)
    22. bag of scarf fabric
    23. bag of paired jean pockets- little girl purse project

Trashed:
    24. misc tangled thread/elastic/trim
    25. hemming sticks- they picked the fabric
    26. 5 empty spools

ron

Haven’t been on here for a couple of days, there are so many people here I want to thank for commenting on what I post it has helped me to keep on going, something keeps pushing me to go on with getting rid of my piles of stuff and I stopped for 2 days and it bothered me, made up for it today the garbage and recycling bins are full and the rest in trash bags, its 1am and im exhausted. so many inspiring posts on this site and I think about you all,Im not good at writing right now its late and brain is mush, but thanks sleepykitten, luxcat clutterbug s momwalker susanintexas paisley prof swede,and chacha

clutterbug22

ron,
    Thank-you, You are most welcome!
    Remember that you can give yourself a break, don’t feel bad for stopping temporarily although I can understand the need to do something everyday now that you have gotten the desire for clearing things out of your life. Sounds like you are really on a roll and it must be making a huge difference to your home environment.

You are doing fantastically!

clutterbug22

Just noticed I’d missed a couple of items from my Week 12 list, I’m not cheating, honest!

Week 12 – item 35 – A bottle of tonic water that I’d had around for weeks, tasted it and had that awful sweetener aftertaste so that went down the sink.
    Item 36 – A carrier of plastic bags to supermarket recycling.

Now onto posting some of last week’s stuff – Week 13

Pair of torn jeans to recycling=1
    broken bath toy=2
    A tub of miscellaneous little toys (like McDonald ones)=3
    1 bag of Play food=4
    box of chocs eaten, from Christmas stash=5
    decanted bubble bath from large bottle to smaller one, larger into recycling=6
    A box of about 15 AUDIO cassettes!!! Had these in my room for months, mostly kiddy stories but I just didn’t want to just throw them away in the bin. A charity shop down the road has taken them off my hands!=7
    broken mug=8
    broken plate=9
    6 x Christmas story books, a bit young for the kids now=15
    4 x activity books (ditto)=19
    set of flash cards (ditto)=20
    3 x brochures=23
    box of birthday chocs eaten=24 (still got 3 boxes to go from Christmas, I’m going to be huge!!)
    video =25
    pile of Christmas cards=26
    used up a handful of magazine shampoo samples=27

clutterbug22

Used up moisturiser=28
    ditto hair conditioner from toiletry stash=29
    Panettone box, just finished the Christmas panettone, nobody else wanted to help!=30

clutterbug22

Finishing off Week 13

Pile of packaging to recycling=31
    6 x dried out pens (re Peter Walsh challenge!)=37
    Another pair of dh’s torn jeans to recycling=38
    Kids back pack=39
    8 x items of kids clothing=47
    3 x soft toys=50

clutterbug22

On to Week 14

3 x pairs kids shoes
    1 handbag=4
    6 x kids sunhats=10
    12 x items of clothing=22

clutterbug22

Week 14 cont –

3 pairs too small socks=25
    24 items of clothing=49
    eaten box of birthday chocs=50 only 2 more boxes to go!!)

Made it on time this week, (by Friday!).

Shall start on Week 15 –

Box of stale cakes thrown
    redirected a letter that I’d been trying to give to someone at school for the last 2 weeks, turns out they’ve moved!=2
    Bin of rubbish from sorting out in dd’s bedroom=3
    Pile of paper and plastic recycling (ditto)=4
    kids bath mat=5
    Post-a-shape toy=6

ron

clutterbug, lots of stuff you got rid of, it inspired me to get rid of 10 cassettes and my old walkman. I got 3 boxes of stuff in the garage ready to be donated, Its been easier to clean the floors its no longer a hassle .
    a note to sleepykitten, I read your response to me over and over and I just have to let you know that over the past two weeks I have money in my wallet. I was always short of cash and constantly running to the atm and then to the thrift stores, garage sales and of course Home Depot. Ive stop that, Im just buying food, and the absolute necessities. You also helped me see what may of caused my hoarding and procrastinating, and a series of bad events through the years may of been a reaction, like what you wrote about your experience, it just stirs me up beyond words right now.

sleepykitten

Congratulations, Ron! You’re doing so well and I’m glad to hear you’re saving some money. It means a lot to me to hear you say that my response was helpful to you. πŸ™‚

ok I haven’t posted week by week BUT I am proud to say that I am finishing up my 6th week in a row of the 7/7(seven things for seven days) challenge. That’s over 294 items or projects taken care of since 1/1/13.

clutterbug22

Great work ron and momwalker!

irishbell

I need to find some things to toss soon, I’m getting the itch.
    I shall look through these posts to get some ideas.

clutterbug22

Update for Week 15
    Bit behind as I’ve been looking after a poorly pet mouse for the past week so it’s mostly low-hanging fruit kinda stuff.

3 x empty choc boxes, (all the christmas and birthday chocs have been eaten at last!)=9
    3 lots of packaging from kids Christmas toys, decided not to keep the boxes for the toys=12
    2 x used up pet meds=14
    1 toothbrush=15
    100 emails=16
    used up bubble bath from toiletry stash=17
    used up shaving cream (ditto)=18
    used up mini hotel body lotion=19

might try to to a bit of a catch up today

adragon

So yesterday was BAD in almost all ways a day could be, the kind of bad that had both me and one of my best friends bawling our eyes out together on the phone. Today I woke up ridiculously early and thought I’d pull out the relevant paperwork to do my taxes early for once (yeah, right). Instead I went on a mass declutter binge: 60 items gone! In one day!

The totals:
    7 craft items
    4 accessories
    1 piece clothing
    6 pieces hardware/tools
    7 pieces jewelry
    14 desk items (no, not counting every trashed pen – “pens” or “binder clips” are counted once for all of them)
    4 travel items
    11 organizational items
    4 holiday items
    3 personal care items
    3 home textiles

I’ve gotten rid of 175 things since moving into this apartment in November. And there’s still more to go (notice that there weren’t any books on this list yet)!

Lounger

@clutterbug – Hope the mouse is recovering well.
    @adragon – Blimey! 60 in a day! That’s super-inspiring.

Fifty by Friday was at the top of the list when I came to the Forum this eve. I have a bag of stuff that I’ve been adding to when I’ve spotted something to toss and I need to find an extension lead, which will entail a bit of a rummage. So, here’s what’s in the bag at the moment:

2 film storaqe boxes
    2 shirts (one looks far too much like part of a nurse’s uniform so I never wear it)
    1 top
    2 belts – one too small, one too tatty
    2 necklaces
    2 books
    1 bracelet and box

Lots of pairs so far, and a total of 12. Will report back later.

Lounger

I found the extension lead in record time, and it counts for my total because I’ve given it to a friend who needed one. So not much more progress:

1. Underwear – tatty, time to go.
    2. Pack of felt pens (similar purchase to Ron’s mugs, oops)
    3. Big, no massive, stack of old birthday and Christmas cards (for recycling) Lots of space in that drawer now.
    4. Two new greetings cards in wrappers for charity.
    5. One book
    6. Extension lead

New total is 18.

clutterbug22

Lounger,
    Thanks re the mouse, he’s not out of the woods yet but a definite improvement from last week!

Week 15 Update

Remains of tub of body butter that I’ve don’t like any more=20
    T-shirt=21
    dvd=22
    1″ worth of paper and greetings cards – recycling=23

Lounger

Hmmm, so you’re on 23 and I’m on 18 with one day to go. Am just going to have a potter about to see if I can find some more junk.

Lounger

Oh, by the way. When I gave extension lead to friend he’d been sorting stuff too and offered me a candelabra. Politely refused, but if it had been a cake stand I can’t resist them.

clutterbug22

Just realized I haven’t updated my totals, so here goes!

dd’s water bottle – lost at school=25
    bottle of liqueur, present for Christmas, drunk=26
    used up pen=27
    used up notebook (of old To-do lists!)=28
    bag of carriers to supermarket recycling=29
    Big Argos shop catalogue – recycling=30
    8 x newsletter type magazines=38
    used up hotel size bubble bath=39
    broken glass=40
    broken mug=41 (bit clumsy!)
    returned 5 x library books including David Allen’s ‘Getting Things Done’ – too in depth, just couldn’t plough through it and perhaps geared more towards the office rather than home, =46
    Gave book to FIL=47
    Packaging from cd player=48
    2 x pairs of torn tights=50

clutterbug22

Lounger,

How are you going?

Lounger

Hi Clutterbug,

Have added one more item since my last post over a week ago, which makes 19, so you definitely win this time. It’s a pretty metal container for a bath set I was given for Christmas, but see no reason to keep it. Out it goes.

About to start to finish long overdue decorating, so have to clear one side of the bedroom. Who knows what I’ll find?

Well done for getting to 50!

clutterbug22

Week 16

37 books (that thread re the lack of value of second hand books must have struck home!)
    bunch of rusted pins and needles=38
    large pile of packaging=39
    video=40
    pair of boots (hardly worn but too heels too high now)=41
    large box for said boots=42
    returned 2 x library books=44
    ancient knitting elastic that had gone gummy, yuk=45
    returned a lamp and a top to the shop – both not quite right=47
    3 x book catalogues to recycling=50

clutterbug22

Week 17

Used up hand cream=1
    2 x too small school tights for dd=3
    pen that writes stickily=4

Lounger

Hello Fifty people.
    My list is currently at 6 items. I’m about to listen to a 45 minute radio programme and will report back with an update.

Lounger

After 45 minutes I’m up to 11 items but have a very well-organised dressing table!

clutterbug22

I’d better post the rest of my Week 17 (a very long week what with the long break from the forum!)

16 newsletter type magazines takes the starting total up to 20 (from last post)
    dried out plasticine=21
    used up mouthwas and 2 x bubble baths from toiletry stash=24
    1 raincoat of dd’s, lost at school=25
    1 used up glue stick=26
    broken drinking glass=27
    200 emails deleted (count each 100 as 1 item)=29
    7 more newsletter type magazines=36
    used up shampoo and another used up bubble bath (did say that this was a long week, don’t usually use that much!)=38
    returned 3 x items of clothing to shop=41
    broken plate=42
    1″ of paper to recycling=43
    7 x small toys to charity =50

Lounger

After a bit of a break I’m back with things I’ve flung:

2 pairs of shoes
    2 handbags
    DVD
    Keyboard

= 6.
    Off to a barbecue now.

Lounger

Another keyboard
    CD for keyboard
    Web cam
    Coat
    Remains of moisturiser that I don’t like smell of.
    Huge rug that might have been counted previously. Oops.
    Hatbox
    Monitor
    Cable

Total today = 15 (Sunday)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.