Home Forums Challenges A Thing A Day (ATAD) FATAD August 2013

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  daylily 5 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

daylily
    Participant

Finally scraped and painted posts on the porch. I have been watching them peel for several years…. Got 1 more top coat and then I will be able to reorganize the porch and enjoy. 🙂

daylily
    Participant

Ate lunch on the newly freshened and tidied porch and looked out at the garden before starting my new project – a small brick patio at the end of the garden. Got the area marked off a couple of weeks ago and have been slowly gathering supplies, with the gravel underlayment the most expensive part. Today a friend and removed the grass layer and already I am excited by how it looks. Next step is the weed barrier and gravel underlayment…

daylily
    Participant

soil excavated to level surface (slight slope for drainage), weed barrier down and about 1/3d of gravel underlayment, heat has returned with a vengeance along with threats of thunderstorms. Hope to get gravel down before any storms to avoid a large mud puddle. Uncluttered 2 more jobs in house with help of a handyman – light switch on ceiling fan and window crank on jalousie window!!!

daylily
    Participant

Dream Patio was a big wet Pond yesterday (but no mud!!!). Flash flooding over the weekend/Monday, no damage – just a mess, with few inches of water in the garage area and whole bottom half of little garden. Sun is supposed to come out tomorrow. Maybe I will be able to buy sand over the weekend after the bags have drained out from all the rain.

ottawa

People pay big bucks for a Garden Feature like a Pond and you got yours for free! Although I do see that a patio would be more useful. I hope the water goes down soon and you can get on with your plans. This is why I live on the 20th floor. Bear in mind that used sand bags can contain toxins from the rainwater debris so it’s best not to use that sand as a underlay for vegetable garden areas, but it’s alright for a patio base.

daylily
    Participant

Ottawa, you make me laugh. The weather this weekend was beautiful and so I got the sand layer down, learned how to “screed” it on youtube and got to work laying bricks. As the patio is circular, there are fairly large spaces between the bricks, so I am working on filling those with more sand, some stones and possibly decorative colored “beach” glass that I have left over from another project. That is still in progress. It was lovely to be outside so much this weekend, but now I need to go soak my aching hands. Ha

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.