Home Forums Living Spaces Your Home Office expiration date for books on sale?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  wintersmom 8 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

wintersmom

I’ve listed a whole bunch of books on half.com, but now I’m wondering how long to keep them listed before giving up and tossing them into the donation bin. Any thoughts? The unsold books are currently living on my desk in my home office.

nellieb

expiration date for books on sale?

You may also wish to list them on craigslist and amazon.com. I will often list books on eBay in lots, such as 6 or 7 that are fantasy sci fi, so I can reduce listing fees as well as move more than one book at a time. If they do not sell, you can donate to nursing or assisted living homes, the library for their book sales, or list them on one of the book swap sites. (I use http://www.bookins.com.)

The maximum I’d list would be for one month. Then I’d swap or donate.

What is your seller name on half.com so other forum members can look up the books you have listed?

Good luck!

wintersmom

@nellieb – Thanks for the bookins link! It looks great.

I’m definitely going to hit Craigslist and eBay next, as I do have many books that should be sold as a single lot.

I checked my half.com inventory and my oldest listings have been sitting around since early November. And one is a thick hardcover that can only fetch $3! Half.com reimburses shipping costs, but I don’t think that one is worth selling. I should set a minimum sale price, in addition to having an expiration date.

My seller name is getkraken.

nellieb

I still sell books on eBay but not as many as I used to (rosehilllady is my seller name). I thought about it a few weeks ago. Most of the books I sell have an average price of $6-8. By the time I do the listing, provide a padded envelope for shipping, drive to the post office, pay the listing, selling and paypal fees, I’d be better off donating or swapping the book!

If your book on half.com has been there since November and is worth $3, I would remove the listing and donate the book.

If you have a Half Price Bookstore nearby, you can always take your entire collection of books there. You will receive very little and the value is more for hardback than paperwork. However, it will remove the books at one time and you can cash the receipt and be done with it! (My best sale to them was about $35 for 6 boxes of books. That’s when I decided to donate them instead.)

By the way, check out my personal blog at http://drawerbydrawer.wordpress.com/ because I am documenting how I am eliminating 50% of my items this year. I just packed another book to be donated tomorrow.

MsDasha

I had a bunch of books on Amazon for the last few weeks and just took down the remaining listings yesterday. The deadline for me was that I am starting school tomorrow and will not have time to run to the post office. I might try to sell more in May. I think 3 months for a $3 book is way more than long enough. Is the clutter on your desk really worth that much to you? I’d guess not…

Also, Powell’s, a bookstore in Portland, allows you to sell books directly to them. You type in the ISBNs and they give you an offer. They are picky about what they take and don’t pay much, but it can be a good way to get rid of the books and get a bit of cash without as much hassle. You get a prepaid shipping label too.

wintersmom

@nellieb – Great blog! It’s somehow encouraging to know that even a professional organizer has some decluttering to do.

@MsDasha – Thanks for the tip about Powell’s! I’ll have to check them out. And you’re right, I’d rather have my desk space back than wait months trying to sell a $3 book.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.