Home Forums Technology Evernote anyone?

This topic contains 31 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  glossta1 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

Susie

Is anyone using Evernote?

I’ve decided to give it a try. Right now I’m using it for notes about my decluttering project, notes about my wardrobe, and a place to hold all of my log ins/user names.

I’d love to hear how others are using this app.

EraserGirl

Evernote anyone?

i have been using it for a few years mostly just to clip and file from the internet. so basically i ignored all the wonderful updates to the app that they have added.

a couple of months ago i started using it for work..it’s AMAZING!
    seriously amazing, i actually moved to the Pro Paid for version so i have a higher upload cap. (i like having access to all my data on my iphone)

The free version is pretty powerful and if you only use it on your computer and don’t sync to their site i think you can exceed the pro limits.

an Evernote note can contain practically anything, text, html, a pdf, an image, an audio or a video file. You can even attach large files to notes, so they will index with the others.

There are notebooks, and you can stack them to put like notebooks together, and then the notes can be tagged and sorted and searched.

Lets not forget creating notes from scratch, you can straight up type your document and add tables and images etc.

I use it for a LOT of projects, Right now i am using it to create my series of local history books, store all my research, and images, AND write some books from scratch. it’s as i said, amazing.

bandicoot

Evernote anyone?

i use it for everything!
    recipes. business cards. interesting articles. photos of cool design. business documents. travel documents. voice memos. .i snap interesting things on my iphone and email them direct to my evernote account.
    i keep a photo of my passport, driver’s license, credit card, birth certificate in there too.
    i am not too fussy about tagging and foldering notes, because the search feature is very powerful.

luxcat

Evernote anyone?

I hear about evernote all the time but never got into it. Maybe it’s time to take another look.

Don’t you have security concerns having that sort of info in an account Bandicoot?

sleepykitten

Evernote anyone?

I’m *trying* to love it, because it seems theoretically like something I would find useful for my various research projects, but I haven’t really found a way to fully adopt it. The desktop version seems slow and the sync buggy – that could be the fault of the security software on my work computer…I don’t know – and the web-only version doesn’t seem to allow any way to export files.

Those of you who use it, is there a good way to export to plain text or html or something as backup?

@EraserGirl – since you are using it for research, any tips on how you organize folders/tags/etc.? How long have you been using it?

EraserGirl

Evernote anyone?

Because Evernote uses MIME to do its formatting, the pages don’t translated into .doc or .txt…buy you can export them as HTML or MHT (MHTML) both of which you can open with WORD or a browser. ..but this allows all the images and formatting to travel with the file.

you are right the online version only lets you email a note to yourself.
    i will keep investigating to see if there is another option.

I have been using it HEAVILY for the last 4 months (before that for about 2+ years but only as a web clipping app), i started paying the extra for the larger upload limits, once i started moving all my research into ONE place instead of having it spread out over multiple folders in two computers.

as for organization…i have folders for different interests..
    including one call MEMORY WAREHOUSE, for stuff i just want to remember, as well as one for articles I want to read later, and one for software hints and hacks, i even have a folder for organization ideas where my unclutterer clips go.

basically if i am going to do a lot of saving under one category it gets a folder, but i try to parse it once i get more than 40-60 notes in one folder.
    i have a couple of STACKED of notebooks for work projects, each with multiple notebooks in each. (there is a limit on notebooks of 250)

Tagging is basically topical…so that once i get a lot of items tagged the same, I can sort those out grab them and move them in to a notebook of their own.

EraserGirl

Evernote anyone?

Because Evernote uses MIME to do its formatting, the pages don’t translated into .doc or .txt…buy you can export them as HTML or MHT (MHTML) both of which you can open with WORD or a browser. ..but this allows all the images and formatting to travel with the file.

you are right the online version only lets you email a note to yourself.
    i will keep investigating to see if there is another option.

I have been using it HEAVILY for the last 4 months (before that for about 2+ years but only as a web clipping app), i started paying the extra for the larger upload limits, once i started moving all my research into ONE place instead of having it spread out over multiple folders in two computers.

as for organization…i have folders for different interests..
    including one call MEMORY WAREHOUSE, for stuff i just want to remember, as well as one for articles I want to read later, and one for software hints and hacks, i even have a folder for organization ideas where my unclutterer clips go.

basically if i am going to do a lot of saving under one category it gets a folder, but i try to parse it once i get more than 40-60 notes in one folder.
    i have a couple of STACKED notebooks for work projects, each with multiple notebooks in each. (there is a limit on notebooks of 250)

Tagging is basically topical…so that once i get a lot of items tagged the same, I can sort those out grab them and move them in to a notebook of their own.

sleepykitten

Evernote anyone?

I was just at a conference and kept hearing great things about Evernote as a way to prep for the conference and organize the documents that were picked up during…so I think I am definitely going to give it another try, especially as I am in the process of organizing my digital life.

I’m bumping this thread because, although EraserGirl gave a lot of great info, I’d love to hear tips and tricks from other unclutterers who use it.

Evernote anyone?

Evernote is on my cellphone and both computers. DF has it on his computer too. For the past year or so I’ve only used it for keeping notes and shopping/to do lists. DF and I share a few notes for travel plans and household jobs, which is cool.

I like having it on the phone so when I’m out at the hardware store, I can look and see what size a/c filters to buy or the exact model number for the garden trimmer spool.

All I’ve explored so far are making little lists, but that’s enough to make it super handy. I should learn how to do the clippy thing etc! Thanks EraserGirl for all the info πŸ™‚

Ella

Evernote anyone?

SK: Here’s a good article about Evernote with lots of ideas in all the comments:

http://smallnotebook.org/2012/04/09/evernote-is-still-as-awesome-as-ever/

pkilmain

Evernote anyone?

Thanks, Ella. I saved this to peruse later. I have found it handy for some of the same things LKH does, but need to investigate what else it can relieve me of.

sleepykitten

Evernote anyone?

I installed Evernote on my desktop at home (had been using the web version and desktop at work) and the syncing is working fabulously. So it must be something about my work computer that doesn’t like the sync. Or maybe I should just try installing it again and see if there have been fixes.

The desktop version, now that I am giving it a fair try, is really fast and great – and the new trick I learned is that you can insert checkboxes in any note and then do a search for “todo:false” to find all your unchecked checkboxes. That will be pretty great for when I am taking notes that involve “action steps” – at least, in theory…I have to try it out.

whyawhelk

Evernote anyone?

I have Evernote on my mobile and tablet, I mostly use it for to do lists, to buy lists, that sort of thing. Like LKH, I keep things like printer cartridge numbers, aquarium filter models, etc on it, anything that needs replacing sporadically, but not often enough for me to remember exactly what they are. Also wall and room measurements for any rooms I’m working on, measurements of furniture I’m looking to recover, the sizes of pictures I’m looking to frame, that sort of thing. My tablet is always somewhere within reach in the house, so I can jot things down on it and they’re automatically stored on my mobile by the time I leave the house.

sleepykitten

Evernote anyone?

*bump*

@Light mentioned he/she was trying Evernote in another thread, so I thought I’d bump this one.

MichelleOhio

Evernote anyone?

I have a lawyer friend that would love to use Evernote, but in the terms of service we grant them the right to share our info, so I would caution against storing any private/personal info.

xhan
    Participant

Evernote anyone?

@MichelleOhio thats not true: http://blog.evernote.com/2011/03/24/evernote%E2%80%99s-three-laws-of-data-protection/

Although as a Lawyer your friend probably shouldn’t be using a cloud service for work. Its one thing to store your personal data in evernote its another to store someone elses.

eg/ I rely on Evernote for work but I don’t upload sql backups to evernote (they contain encryped passwords/emails/addresses/names) because that would breach data protection laws. They are stored in one place in a password protected folder. Its a pain but If I was one of our users I would be pleased to know this πŸ™‚

xhan
    Participant

Evernote anyone?

@klutzgrrl if your using evernote for articles I would recommend pocket. http://getpocket.com/

I store references in evernote and long wordy articles in pocket which I clip to evernote once I’ve read through them and deemed them to be ‘referencable’.

It stops evernote becoming overbearing πŸ™‚

If I’m not going to look at it within the next 6 months it doesn’t go in evernote πŸ˜€

bandicoot

Evernote anyone?

i use evernote to bookmark webpages that i am going to read soon. then i delete them.
    the stuff i store there long term is overwhelmingly my own material.

pkilmain

Evernote anyone?

Katha – you can always make the next page show by changing the page number in the address bar. πŸ™‚

Alice11

Evernote anyone?

I LOVE evernote. I use it primarily to keep info with me at all times (I have a smartphone). I keep track of my books, for example, I can look and see a list of books I want to read that I don’t have on my ereader and need to get at the library, so when I’m at the library I know what to get. I also keep track of my measurements, my medications, all of my doctor’s names and office information, etc. It’s extremely useful to have all of that information at your fingertips when you need it.

Evernote anyone?

I have been tinkering with different cloud storage options this past week. Evernote still comes out ahead of Googledrive and Skydrive and Dropbox for me, basically because it really does sync!

We have a drobo and I have an external hard drive, so I don’t need to find a trustworthy storage place for sensitive information. I read this week that it is unwise to use public wifi (coffee shops etc) to access sensitive data or log in to bank accounts etc, so I will continue to save those documents and activities for at home.

I’m toying again with the idea of becoming paperless, thus my cloud storage semi-investigation. My last two jobs were in data management. The experience helps in some ways, but also reminds me of how much paper can be involved in paperless offices.

This week I learned how to stack notebooks in Evernote, creating subfolders, which was one of my main beefs about their system. I also learned that it’s pretty easy to record a voice note and the voice to text thingumie worked even with my transatlantic accent.

The voice note option would be useful if stuck in traffic or if you turned Evernote to that setting before starting driving. The only other way I can remind myself to do something when I get home is to move a little teddy bear from a dashboard cubby to the passenger seat or my cupholder.

bandicoot

Evernote anyone?

i got my hands on a thing called Say Mmm this week.
    you open a free account.
    then you can tag your evernote recipes with Say Mmm and evernote will automatically create a shopping list for you.
    there are more features, but i thought that was pretty cool.

glossta1

Evernote anyone?

Thanks to you all – Evernote looks great to me, and I will now give it a try on my Android phone. I hope my grotty tech skills are up to it. My son persuaded me to let him download Dropbox onto my netbook, but I haven’t a clue how to use it, so it’s a white elephant as far as I am concerned. Evernote sounds much more me.

Lifekeepshappening, I LOVE your teddy-shifting technique for in the car! I have been meaning to try to get the Voice function going on my Galaxy s3, but I’m not sure how, so it hasn’t happened yet. And I often wish I had a way of remembering a thought I’ve had while driving.

ninakk

Evernote anyone?

Dropbox or similar are good for sharing larger files such as photos. I met some friends, took photos of all the kids and uploaded for viewing through a link, so they don’t need to install it on their computers unless they want to.

I don’t get the whole “The only way to share photos with the grandparents these days is through Facebook” thing, because it is wrong on so many levels in my humble opinion. If that is the only argument for opening up one’s private life then I say think again, because even emails are a better option than involuntary sharing.

Evernote anyone?

OK — you’ve convinced me. I’m going to install evernote on my desktop, netbook and phone.

I’ve been using dropbox for a long time to share files for big projects — including videos — but for personal stuff this seems to make more sense.

glossta1

Evernote anyone?

Evernote is going to be good for plant names for my garden wish-list, too, because I find them so hard to remember, and scrappy bits of paper get lost easily. I always have my phone with me for note-taking.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.