Home Forums Challenges Eight-Step Home Cure – Second Wave

This topic contains 81 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by  lifekeepshappening 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

This is a new thread for people trying the Eight-Step Home Cure (book author: Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan) starting in Dec 2012 or Jan 2013.

I read this as a library book and did most of the assignments starting a couple of months ago. Now I have my own copy of the book and will be adding notes and highlighting the most useful suggestions.

The beginning of the book discusses the health, function, and style of a home. There are questionnaires and assignments in that section to help the reader begin to identify any problems with their particular home.

Week One begins in Chapter Four. If you are waiting for a book and want to get started, there are two practical assignments that you can do without reading the book first: look into earth-friendly cleaning products, sweep and mop all of your home’s floors.

I opted for a hot water/vinegar floor cleaner solution and treated myself to a bottle of lavender essential oil to add for scent.

Sky

Eight-Step Home Cure – Second Wave

Thanks, lifekeepshappening. My book has not arrived yet but I will do the same and vacuum and mop my floors with vinegar.

Hope that book gets there soon Sky! I’m happy to wait until the new year to get started on the project if that’s better for you.

Sky

I finally got my book. I’ve read up to Week Two, Clearing the Path. So I’m ready to go.
    Is it just the 2 of us?

britannia

Make that four of us. I got the book on Thursday, as an InterLibrary Loan so I have to have it back by Jan. 2 without fail I read it through on Friday and decided not to follow it, just doing a few of the tasks. I’ve changed my mind so I’ll do some of the Week 1 things in the next couple of days. I will, not, however, do the flowers bit (flowers always die on me and I don’t eat fruit), nor will I do the make your own cleaning supplies thing.

cool, welcome to this round of home curing πŸ™‚ We can share whatever chapter or week we have time to work on.

As with all advice books, take what’s helpful and don’t worry about the rest. There were several parts of the book that were not useful for my current situation.

Tomorrow I’ll reread chapters 1-4 and post any insights I have.

ProfClutter: another week one assignment is to sit for ten minutes in a part of your home you don’t normally sit. People in the first round had varying reactions to this exercise. I sat in the corner of my dining room first time, and realized how much I’ll miss this pretty house when I relocate next year. I’m going to find a different spot to sit tomorrow.

Sky

I’m reading ahead in the book and there are things I don’t need to do but I will take it step by step and do what applies to me and my home.

First step, clean and mop all your floors.

jlw

Yes, I think I am not going to do everything, but I will be picking out some bits and pieces.

I had a bowl of oranges on the table, inspired by the first thread, but now they are looking very old and sad, so I need to replace them. Maybe some other kind of fruit or bowl-sitting decoration.

Chapter One: Is Your Home Healthy?

This chapter discusses “disposophobia” and clutter as modern diseases of the home and “hypernesting” which is attempting to purchase the feeling of home. A big part of why I like this book is that it is not about decorating, it is focused on making your home feel like your home. This first chapter starts a process of discovering what the reader considers vital in a home.

Chapter One asks the reader if they consider themselves to be a warm or cool person. Warm is classified as gregarious, overly attached to people and things, and challenged by cleaning and clutter. Cool is described as independent, efficient, finding creating comfort difficult, and lacking enough attachment to people and things.

Reading this chapter, I identify more as a cool person, but I think this either-or classification is simply to get the reader to think about what may be causing discomfort for them in their homes. I don’t think people can ever be categorized into a binary system. For me, yes, there is a lack of comfort in my home – mostly due to making do with a house and furnishings that are inappropriate for someone recovering from massive back surgeries. Last January I should have just bought a recliner, it would have paid for itself over the course of the past very painful year, but no – I thought it would be a waste of money. Pfft!

Welcome Katha and jlw.

The fresh flowers thing is possibly a big deal if you live in a NYC apartment. For me, every window in my home looks out at a tree or expanse of grass. And if it’s to do with having some life form in your home, I have a cat who very elegantly drapes himself all over the furniture and is unlikely to wilt or mold in the next few days πŸ™‚

britannia

Week 1 done.

Make a complete list of repairs & solutions – list made, solutions identified.

Vacuum and mop floors – floors vacuumed, will mop when I finish doing each individual room

Remove one item & set it outside – wobbley stool gone.

Buy fresh flowers – flowers, plants, etc just don’t do anything for me. Besides, I have a terrific view from my 20th floor balcony/windows.

Sit for ten minutes in a place you don’t normally sit – sat on the kitchen stool for 10 minutes, got very depressed.

Look into earth-friendly cleaning products – I don’t need any cleaning products now (and for the foreseeable future).

Got my list for Week 2 ready.

Sky

I’m working on vacuuming and mopping all my floors.

Made a list of repairs and what needs doing in each room.

Neighbors brought me a poinsettia so that will do for December.

I think I am mostly a ‘cool’ with some ‘warm’ thrown in.

I have enough cleaning products to last a while because I use very little.

I told DH he has disposophobia….he was not amused.

pkilmain

For 6 months of the year I have woods, lawn and flowers to look at. The rest of the time – snow! Fresh flowers in the winter are very welcome in my house. πŸ™‚ I have a pointsetta now which should last into January as long as I remember to water it.

Yesterday I made myself dispose of a very cute package wrapping. I wouldn’t reuse it really, and it would hang around for a few weeks. Now, it’s gone and I don’t miss it.

@PK where are you in the world? I know there are at least two members from MN, I’m wondering if you’re one of them!

Today I sat w my DD all day. I reread chapters 2-4.

Chapter Two discusses two concepts:
    1. Flow (movement of energy through your home)
    2. Considering your home as an organism with bones, breath, heart, head

Chapter Three held a questionnaire about style and aspirations for your home, a quiz to help identify dysfunctional areas of the home, and an overview of the eight week cure. I had time to answer all the questions and decided to focus on one room this time as it seems I resolved several issues during the first Cure.

Chapter Four begins the program. For the One Room Remedy, the author suggests choosing which room, finding photos of appealing rooms (pinterest works for this and the next task), starting a style tray, visit a favorite home store (Ikea online), and setting a budget.

I plan to tackle the main bathroom. It’s the only room left to update before the house goes on the market.

I’m glad others have tackled appropriate week one tasks. I may use some of the deep treatment tasks to figure out the bathroom project.

pkilmain

@lkh – nope, I’m in Alaska. Today however, it is above freezing! About 35F, and we had a couple inches of new snow overnight, which is quickly getting wet and icky. Really, I am not a winter person, but we’ve been living here since 1973 and have no plans to move.

Brrrrrrr!!!!!!

Pkilman: it was down to 33F in San Antonio last night, so don’t feel like the lone ranger. Of course, it’s back to to 60F now πŸ™‚

@SusaninTexas – yes, that’s what I like about Oklahoma winters. Real chilly in the morning and in the 60’s by mid afternoon!

britannia

I’m in Ottawa, Canada. The temperature has been fluctuating madly, as normal, but it’s hovering between 7 below and 7 above.

pkilmain

Is that C or F? If C, it’s 19 to 44F. Our current temp is about 19F, or -7C, pretty typical for a nice winter day. Last week it was -10F, or -23C. Blah. We have snow at last, however, about 4-5″ over the last 2 days. Makes it brighter on this dark days surrounding the solstice.

Here’s a thread related question: how do you make your home more comfortable in frigid weather?

I tend to just pile lots of clothes on, keep my shoes on, and drag an electric blanket around with me. I live in the midwest USA in a large house on a tiny budget, so heating the whole place all day long is beyond me. Next winter will be my first in Minnesota, and I think I will need a different strategy because it is most definitely going to be cold for months there!

What do you do to make your home cozy during the cold months?

Sky

We keep our heat at 68 degrees. A little cool for me so I wear sweats and socks and we have afghans to use in the evenings.

pkilmain

Ah, keeping warm in winter. First off, we have a wood stove for the main heat on the main floor. If the weather or a person is really cold, it can be easily persuaded to put out a “drive you out of the room” level of heat. πŸ™‚ Otherwise we have 3 separate gas heaters in our house (no central heat, it’s a long story). One is upstairs, and ususally turned off unless we’re going to be gone too long for the wood stove to produce heat, or if the wind is blowing (smokes up the room), etc. Second is in our entry addition, much smaller, provides heat to that room, and whatever drifts up to the living room. Third is in the basement for heat down there: DH’s shop, my office, my sewing room, laundry room. These are all set at 68 during the day, 62 at night.

To keep me personally warm, I add a camisole under my clothes, and sweaters or fleece vests over long sleeved shirts, and wear jeans or cords. And of course, socks and wool clogs. Winter is shorter in Minnesota than Alaska, but it certainly can get cold. Staying active helps, and so does baking! The actual act not the eating of the goodies produced. πŸ™‚

britannia

The board of the condo where I live has decided to rewire to let residents pay their own electrical costs, including heating, starting in January (with suitable reduction in condo fees) so I have been experimenting with trying to lower all my electrical costs. I haven’t turned the heat on yet (and didn’t use the A/C last summer, although I used fans) and the temperature in my unit has been around 66-68F, although it’s -7 to +5F outside. It did go down to 63F one night (-15F outside) but came up to 66F during the day. I wear jeans, a shirt, a sweater and socks with plastic fake Crocs. It’s not a problem and I’m comfortable. My unit has another unit on one side and a laundry room on the other, with a heated hallway on one long side, so I just have windows (big) on the other long side. I think I won’t have any heating costs this winter – I’ll let the condo corporation and my neighbour heat my unit!

britannia

Week 2, day 1 in progress:

Transferred everything from the bottom half of my kitchen to the living room and cleaned cabinets and surfaces and the stove. Started to bring things back, purging as I go. I put 13 things in the garbage and will be taking a break in a minute to go to the Salvation Army with 75 items (see ATAD for list). Still lots more to go through and, of course, there is still the top half of the room and the fridge.

Well done Britannia!!!!

Week One for me:
    I’ve had an unexpectedly busy week with DD, so have not done much more than look at bathroom photos for inspiration. I had a dream about my bathroom last night – that someone else had “redecorated” it for me. The walls were haphazardly tiled in red splotchy tiles, there was stuff piled all over the floors, the bath was on the other side of the room, the toilet had a glass window looking out to a public area where people were looking in!! It was very disconcerting, but also very helpful as it showed me that I need my bathroom to look pleasant, be totally uncluttered and totally private.

I still plan to sit for ten minutes in the bathroom (not on the loo! I’ll take a chair in there) and I’ll do an inventory of any repair work. The paint is peeling because there’s no vent or fan and it gets steamy in there. I need to look into how to fix that.

What are the rest of you up to for week one (or week two if you’re steaming ahead like britannia!)?

britannia

Week 2, day 1 completed.

Garbage, another 17 items. Salvation Army: Another 22 items. Plus, recycled an apron into cleaning rags and took the bag holder out of the SA box and made it into an insert for my grocery trolley. The trolley is a combination of the bag from a regular trolley that a wheel broke on and a luggage cart I bought years ago. Because the support is in the wrong place, the bag always sagged. Now it stands upright. Also PEEPED: a pkg of cord clips.

It doesn’t look much different in the kitchen, despite what I’ve done, because most of the stuff was in drawers. But it obviously is an improvement. After I get back from the second trip to the Salvation Army, I think I’ll have a little lie down!

britannia

Week 2 tasks completed.

Took down the two nails that had held up the rod that held up the quilt that fell down 18 months ago. Decided not to do anything about the newly-redundant intercom/front door opener as I can’t cover it up because of the live wires.

Cleaned the kitchen thoroughly. Except that the floor is now clean it doesn’t look much different despite the almost 100 things I got rid of. Sigh.

Couldn’t find any “old” food to throw out. Found some stuff that had been sitting around for a while, though, and will use it up in the next two weeks.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with our water (I have a nice view of the filtration plant from my windows) so I won’t be buying a filter.

I don’t see the purpose of going over every wall with your hands. Any way, I know my walls are wallboard.

Created a space to be the Outbox. I like the idea of keeping things in limbo for a week because I have taken two tings back out of the pile and repurposed them.

Contemplated buying a poinsettia while grocery shopping but decided I’d get more joy our of buying a Kinder-Suprise-with-reindeer-toy. To each his own.

I determined my style is cool-introvert-eclectic.

Couldn’t find a new recipe I like. Anyway, I eat every meal at home except for once-a-week lunch and a once-a-month lunch.

I’m not having a housewarming.

jlw

I don’t see the point of the wall thing, either. I feel like all I would do is get the walls dirty!

I’m going to do this in quite a modified way – my plan is just to work through the list of things from each week, skipping over stuff I don’t want to do and not really paying attention to weeks. I feel like I’m sort of bah-humbugging to do it that way, but half of it just doesn’t apply.

I do need to read through the parts about colors and styles again soon, before I have to return the book to the library.

Sky

I read through the entire book and will do what applies to me but a lot of it doesn’t. The through cleaning and decluttering is always good but I have very few repairs and no needed purchases.

Yes! Only do the assignments that are appropriate to your own home situation. I didn’t do the hands on the wall thing – for one thing the house is enormous, for another, my kids (both over 6ft) seem to touch every wall they pass, so I spend plenty of time scrubbing the walls and door frames anyway.

WEEK TWO:
    I’m doing the one room remedy program. This weekend I took a hard look at the bathroom floor – 1916 original tile and grout that turned out not to be grout but ground in dirt, the grout is underneath and in poor condition. I mop the floor every week, but realize now that it needs to be renovated. Went out to the diy store this morning for the necessary supplies. Also picked up paint chips for when I repaint, which won’t be until the summer, butI can at least get that planned.

This week the book advises:
    Decide what activities you want in your room (same as always, it’s a bathroom!)
    Buy, borrow or make a floor plan tool (no furniture to move)
    Map out room and work on solution (nothing to be done)
    Name vision (updated, clean and fresh bathroom ready for house sale)
    Build a shopping list (went shopping this morning. Only other things are paint and a shower curtain)

Insead, for Week Two I plan to get the flooring completely scrubbed and prepped. It’s a big bathroom with tiny tiling. It’s gonna take at least a week, but I plan to work in several half hour sessions a day. It doesn’t really matter how long it takes as the rest of the house is now done (basement drylok-ed, bedroom/linen closet/exterior doors/garage all repainted)

WEEK TWO
    For those doing the whole home deep treatment, this week’s tasks are:

Fix one thing in your home yourself.
    Clean your kitchen top to bottom, chuck old food.
    Start using a water filter (if you think that’s necessary.)
    Run your hands over every wall.
    Clear space for an Outbox.
    Clear one surface – put your excess in the Outbox.
    Buy fresh flowers.
    Determine your style.
    Find a new recipe and cook one meal at home (this was initially written for NYC residents who apparently don’t eat at home much.)
    Choose the date for your housewarming (if you are that social.)

When I did this week in my previous attempt at this program, I cleaned my kitchen one cupboard at a time, dumping any food/plasticware etc as I went. It was nice to get it all clean at once, but it only took two weeks for my kids to have fingerprints and chocolate milk all over the cabinets and fridge handles again.

The Outbox was a REALLY good deal for me. Stuff sat there and it gave me time to consider if I actually needed something back or not. In the end everything went out, but I’d had a chance to detach from it first.

I didn’t do a housewarming as I’m way too introverted. The house is always okay for people to come over. Friends stop in now and then, I just don’t like parties.

My style is a comfortable version of modern. I’d love to find a furnishings store that I truly like, just like I’d love to find a clothing store that suits me.

jlw

Week 1 bones:
    – List of repairs: Well, we just moved here in Sept., and we rent so getting things fixed is just a matter of putting in a request. There’s almost nothing to fix, but here are a couple: Ceiling fan in bedroom is wobbly – I need to look and see if it’s just a matter of tightening screws or if I need them to work on it. Need to fix a table lamp – have the part, just need to figure it out. Need to re-stuff or at least rearrange stuffing in couch cushions, they have gone all lumpy.

– Vacuum and mop floors: this is easy, I have to vacuum and sweep at least once a week or we get buried in cat hair and stray litter bits. I’ve been meaning to see how mopping (or rather wet-swiffering) works – I’m still getting used to having so many hard floors. I think I’ll mop tomorrow.

Sort of side note – while it’s obvious to me NOW that cleaning the floors is pretty basic, not that long ago I was really bad at keeping up with routine cleaning. So I’m glad that the book starts with that reminder that if you want a nice place to live, keeping it clean is pretty essential!

bandicoot

as the tiling progesses here, it is apparent that we need some sort of storage thing.
    the window seat with built in storage has been ripped out for tiling and may not be able go back in at all.
    this leaves me with no storage for the vacuum cleaner and a few textiles.
    and you know what?
    just typing this, i KNOW that the solution is to get rid of the textiles and find a home elsewhere for the vacuum cleaner.
    or to use the textiles on daybeds over the summer. but then i would need to store the duvets somewhere.

at least while everything in this house is in a state of near-constant movement with the renovating i can keep visualising different solutions.

Netleigh

Over on apartment therapy they are doing a January cure, you can sign up for e-mails too.
    Bandicoot, how about a bench chest in your window, using the same space as the built in just as a piece of movable furniture?

@ Netleigh – awesome news that they’re doing a month-long cure in January! Here’s the link for anyone wanting to sign themselves up: http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/join-us-get-organized-in-2013-the-january-cure-181703

Today I’m experimenting with cleaning the bathroom floor tile. Had a bad experience with a store employee at Lowes yesterday – he basically told me I could’t renovate 100 year old tile. But there is very little experience of renovating anything in Oklahoma. I’ve lived in renovated Victorian and Regency houses in the UK and they had original tiling, so I’m not quite ready to let the Lowes man tell me I have to rip out our historic tile.

I’m pretty sure I can do it. Today I’ve taped off part of the floor behind the door and I’m scrubbing it, scraping paint spatters etc off, digging out old grout. We’ll see how it goes.

None of my paint chips are quite right. I like grey as a color to wear but I think it’s a bit strange as a wall color. When I find the right color, I’ll know it πŸ™‚

bandicoot

i am looking at bench chests right now.
    hmm, lots to ponder.
    i think i might leave that bay window area empty, but move my indian brass table and big lamp in there.
    it needs a lick of paint and some skirting board.
    however, i have a big window, almost 3 metres long, in the bedroom and a lot of extra space.
    i could build a big deep cupboard there, level with the window sill with the spare mattress on it…..and what a perfect cat napping/reading spot that would be!

pkilmain

Ah, how one project does lead to another! πŸ™‚ Sounds like a good plan bandicoot!

I am avoiding (a) vacuuming the living room which needs to be done before the tree arrives tomorrow and (b) going out to do some grocery shopping as it’s about -15F/-26C. But there is a scarity of food n the house and I’m hungry.

britannia

Week 3 done (although it’s not supposed to start until tomorrow). I’m retired so I have time on my hands.

Vacuum, dust and mop – done, except I didn’t mop.

Clean entrance and related closets – entrance was clean, went through two closets and turfed stuff, PEEPed.

Arrange to have all repairs taken care of in next three weeks – both my repairs, as well as several projects, involve shopping for stuff so I’ll do that in January as I try to stay out of stores in December.

Declutter your entrance – it was already uncluttered.

Move all mail, catalogues and magazines to Outbox – Already gone as I take care of things immediately on arrival

Look into what you need to create a Landing Strip – Already have one.

Cancel unused magazine subscriptions – Only have one subscription, which I read upon arrival and recycle to the library. I won’t be renewing it, though.

Identify cool rooms and warm rooms – kitchen, living room, bedroom are cool, bathroom is warm.

Apply the 80/20 colour rule – not doing this.

Cook two meals at home this week – 20 of the 21 meals are taken at home. (I’m on a diet and this way I can control what I eat and save money).

Design an invitation to your housewarming – nope.

I have ordered the Book, as I suspect I’ll be doing this again in the future (and I had a $25 gift card for Chapters which I didn’t have anything else to spend on). Weeks 4 and 5 are going to take longer. It’s not that I don’t see the need or lack the initiative to unclutter; it’s that I don’t know how to get rid of this stuff. I think some of it’s of value but to specialists only and I don’t know how to get rid of it. Other stuff is books and the Library’s Mammoth Booksale is already over-subscribed with people’s throw-outs.

jlw

I signed up for the Apartment Therapy January cure. Wonder what will be in there.

I have decided to delay mopping the floor until Sunday, which is when I would normally be sweeping and such anyway. They are not so dirty they can’t wait until then.

Took a bath with bath salts as recommended later in the book this morning – very nice!

Sky

Thanks jlw, I just joined the Apartment Therapy January Cure.

bandicoot

i have signed up too.
    it will be great to be fed new ideas of things to consider through january.

jlw

It wasn’t me – Netleigh mentioned the January cure first πŸ™‚

I’m still on week 1:

Mopping – will be tomorrow

Remove one item – easy! I just trashed a flimsy plastic hanger that a dress came on. Also, I took 4 bags to donation last week so I think I deserve credit for that!

Buy fresh flowers – no. Cats will eat them. A few weeks ago when I was reading the first thread, I filled a bowl with oranges, and that was nice – currently I have a fake-greenery garland along the table for Christmas. Maybe after that I will go back to a fruit bowl (and try to make sure I eat the fruit). I’m also wondering how hard it would be to drill a small hole in the ceiling to put a hook I could hang a plant from.

Earth-friendly cleaning products – I’ve been back and forth on this. How effective they are seems to vary a lot. He mentions Bon Ami in the book, which I’ve used before, but now I can’t find it in any of my usual stores. Anyway, this isn’t a new idea for me, so I’ll just continue to use up what I have and work on switching to better types as I run out of things.

Sitting for 10 minutes – will try to get to this later today.

Friday I scrubbed the bathroom tub, tile, floor and spent a bit more time contemplating paint colors for the walls.

I considered doing flylady for a bit just to get back into cleaning the bathroom daily. It’s used by 3 or 4 adults and once or twice a week isn’t enough. It’s not an easy bathroom to keep clean due to ledges, bad paintwork, aging surfaces, awkward fixutres, but letting it go past 2 days of use without cleaning everything makes it kinda awful to spend time in there.

Wrote down some ideas for a future bathroom that would be easier to clean.

clutterbug22

Yes, I’ve signed up too. Kinda intrigued as to what the daily tasks will be!

Nina

I’ve signed up for the January cure aswell – probably be good if we start a new thread for it in the new year.

britannia

The Book just came in so I’ve picked it up and returned the Library’s copy. I haven’t done much of Week 4’s tasks – must get back on track tomorrow.

jlw

Still here, still working on this in between being lazy for the holidays πŸ™‚

Mopping: done
    Sit for 10 minutes: done – I sat in what we call the “study” which is a terrible name because no one ever studies there. It’s full of bookshelves, so sitting there made me want to read all the books (!) and also organize them, since we hadn’t finished that since moving in. So, I just finished that, and included some decorative items where there was room on the shelves – and it’s amazing that there WAS room on the shelves!

I realized that I love the windows and light in that room, but I feel like they need curtains.

I also joined Pinterest to gather ideas, but haven’t started using it yet.

Barbs

I did not think I was ready for The Cure because I still have so much decluttering to do but I signed up anyway AND I ordered the book. It can’t hurt, right? I hope there isn’t a test at the end. :0

britannia

The Test is to make the Cure work for you and your circumstances, not for anyone else. It’s obvious to me that I will have to come back and do the Cure over again, but I’ll gain a little (or a lot) each time. Doing the cure will also develop thought patterns for you on how to work and that alone will have a lifetime of use to you.

Britannia, glad you liked the book enough to buy it. I’m glad I got myself a copy to keep.
    The holidays and DF visiting have both stalled my Cure progress on the bathroom. Not sure what week I’m on now.

This morning I did scowl at the bit of floor tile that I have super-cleaned and scraped out grout from. I’ll need to re-prep it before I can try regrouting it. My knees are hurting from yoga so I’m not feeling any desire to get down on the floor and work.

None of my paint chips are grabbing me after a week or so of being taped to the wall. I was hoping DF would have more input since the bathroom and rest of the house belong to him.

I’ve signed up for the January challenge too. Will continue with the bathroom until I’m done with the 8 weekly assignments. I think a month is a better amount of time to stay engaged in a project!

britannia

I have decided to declare Week 4 done, although the living room still needs lots of work. My problem is I can’t get rid of most of the books at present and I haven’t figured out yet what to do with the pile of stuff in the corner. I will come back to it, though.

Clean up living room & related closets – done, sort of.

Repairs being taken care of this week – will go shopping for the necessary stuff next week.

Declutter books and all media – media is fine, books are a problem but they’re neat.

Cancel 75% of all catalogues – I haven’t received any for several months

Empty Outbox this week – done.

Confirm your need to increase/decrease color – not doing this.

Identify what you need to increase/decrease softness – not doing this.

Cook 3 meals at home – I cook all meals at home.

Send out your invitations – not doing this.

jlw

Well, with the January Cure going on, I don’t have the time or energy to do both it and the longer program at once, so I am going to just do the other for now and come back to this one later.

britannia

Has anyone else noticed the flaw in the Try A One-Day Media Fast task in Week 5? Gillingham-Ryan says he has “found that a media fast is now needed to remove the mental junk food that I find in most homes”. To this end, one is supposed to turn off the TV for a day. He doesn’t mention newspapers (except in passing), nor the Internet, both major news media. If you are going to turn off the TV, I think you should not read the papers, go on the internet, or listen to radio as well.

I also note the apparent dichotomy of eliminating temporarily the “mental junk” with the Option suggestion to look into Wireless Technology, so one can have that same mental junk anywhere, any time.

jlw

I agree that the Internet is at least as distracting as TV!

For the wireless aspect, I think that’s true now, but at the time the book was written it seems like he was mostly focused on wireless music options, with the aim of having less physical clutter in place just to be able to listen to music. And I think he considers music in a different category from TV/internet/etc.

paisley

Where is lifekeepshappening? I haven’t seen anything from her in awhile, and she had been posting regularly. Hope all is well.

britannia

Week 5 done, with mixed results.

Take care of repairs this week – went to Canadian Tire but couldn’t find the lamp I want (to match dining areas lamp) and no small jars of paint so I decided to put the repairs off until Spring when I can get to Home Depot (where I know the lamp is) without schlepping through snow for a couple of blocks.

Clean office area & related closets – great success. Cleaned off desk, created some new file and filed them, shredded three years of financial records, cleaned out top drawer of filing cabinet. Not touched, the genealogy records which will take a lot of time.

Vacuum, dust & mop throughout – done.

Declutter files – see above.

Tackle the cord octopus – reworked the octopus for my second computer.

Try a one-day media fast – started it on Tuesday but gave up after considering why I was doing it. I don’t read newspapers, listen to the radio or watch more than 2 hours of TV weekly. I do keep up to date on-line and follow several advice, uncluttering and consumer columns. Since I’m retired without a family, I need something to fill my time.

Buy fresh flowers – nope.

Choose at least one soft or hard thing to add/subtract – nope.

Cook three meals at home this week – all but 2 meals were at home, as usual.

Eat at home Sunday through Thursday – see above.

Get to bed early and read before sleep – I always get to bed early and I cannot read in bed.

Optional: look into wireless technology – I have no need to have access 24/7 from any where. A desktop computer is all I need or want.

britannia

It appears that I am here alone doing the second wave of the Home Cure. But that’s Okay, I’m doing it (or not doing it at the moment) for myself.

I haven’t touched Week 6 this week, except to write out the list from the book and make a list of tasks to be done. I have, however, being doing some quilting which means all is not lost. I will try very hard to do Week 6 now and make a start on Week 7.

clutterbug22

britannia,
    We’ll still cheer you on! I expect some of us will be joining in after the January cure although I expect you’ll be finished by then!

bandicoot

brittania, you have been productive!
    i dropped out and switched cures….cannot get the book on kindle in australia, and the january cure is right there in my inbox, so…
    i note a lot of crossover though….we will end up quite cured eventually!

britannia

Thank you, Clutterbug22. It makes things less lonely! I’ll still have things to do over (or still) after I’m done Week 8 and, of course, the Vacuum, mop etc will be there forever.

clutterbug22

britannia,
    I’ve a feeling that I won’t manage to complete all the Jan Cure tasks so I expect that I may have to try to finish them off here!

britannia

I finally got Week 6 done, only 3 days late.

Clean bathroom and related closets – check.

Declutter cabinets and closets – check.

Arrange your bathroom efficiently – not done. It’s hard to “arrange” a room 5×8 with built-in appliances.

Upgrade your razor and shaving supplies – not applicable.

Purchase bath salts and a nice soap – I don’t use bath salts but I did open a fresh bar of soap.

Place a candle in your bathroom – No Way. Candles are the No. 2 cause of household fires. Candles should be used in emergencies only!

Consider scents in your home – I have no sense of smell.

Plan for the week head on Sunday – I do this already.

Wake earlier and take a bath before work – I think a bath should be taken at leisure, not when you’re in a rush to catch the 8.27 bus.

Optional – Consider a media fast for next week – I am cutting down on my Internet time. TV time is already minimal.

Optional – Straighten your desk at work – I’m retired.

On to Week 7.

britannia

Week 7 done, sort of. I had already uncluttered the bedroom several months ago and I have been very good about keeping it clean. The closets do need work, but those things are now on my Project List – 24 items now.

Clean the bedroom and related storage – done (sort of).

Buy a new air filter for bedroom – nope.

Buy new sheets, pad or mattress as needed – I bought new sheets last month and a new mattress a year ago.

Declutter the bedroom – done.

Arrange the bed against the best wall – What is the “best” wall? Anyway, the current arrangement, although it looks odd, makes the best of the space/furniture.

Make sure your bedroom inspires you – yeah, sure.

Look into ways to improve your sleep – I need curtains and they are on the Project List.

Optional: Outfit your bed to reduce allergens – not applicable.

On to Week 8, which should be easy, as it mostly involves the party I’m not having.

bandicoot

you have been mightily productive!
    how does it look? how does it feel? is there a big difference?

britannia

I made a list of Week 8 tasks and the only things that I haven’t already done or won’t be doing (mostly party-related) are vacuuming and taking a bath (as opposed to a shower). I’ll be doing both those in the next couple of days.

Really big difference. I am very happy I took the Cure. The place looks a little Spartan cum Office but that’s the kind of person I am. I am managing to PEEP things and keep surfaces clean. Hurrah! Not so good with the vacuuming but that will improve with practice (I hope). I also made three quilts for Victims of Violence in the past few weeks so I’m happy with that as well.

The only things really spoiling the look are the pile of quilts in the corner (on my Project List) and the piles of genealogical stuff on the desk and in two boxes (also on my Project List). The suitcase in the corner will go on a shelf today, after I rearrange things on the bookshelves. There is, of course, the bedroom closet, but the problems there are on my List as well (and no one can see it). There are 22 things on the Project List, some of which I don’t need to do until the Spring (new summer clothes) or want to wait until the snow goes but the others I WILL being in the next month or so.

Again, the Cure was well worth doing.

bandicoot

that is so great to hear!

britannia

I’m done! Vacuumed yesterday and took a bath.

Find a good recipe & test it – I am not doing the party thing.

Prepare your apartment the day before – ” ” ” ” ” ” “

Get home early the day of the party – ” ” ” ” ” ” “

Vacuum the entire apartment & wash the windows – vacuumed. It’s too cold (-42C wind chill) to wash windows.

Do final purge of clutter & empty the Outbox – Did a sweep, emptied Outbox to charity on Monday.

Arrange the apartment for the best party flow – I am not doing the party.

Consider improving your audio system – I like what I have.

Buy fresh flowers – nope.

Turn down lights and light candles – see previous post for my view on candles.

Choose the music ahead of time – I am not doing the party.

Serve cold drinks immediately – ” ” ” ” ” “

Cook & eat at home, plan the week ahead & wake early for a bath – I already cook/eat at home and plan the week ahead, and I have already expressed my views on the early/bath thing.

Optional – consider removing the TV – no way, I watch minimally as it is.

As I said yesterday, it was well worth doing. I will be working on the (modified) daily and weekly lists, plus my Project List (now up to 24 items), plus trying to keep the new habits I’ve adapted.

britannia

Laetitia: Hey, it’d warmed up! Going to be -12 Celsius today. Actually it’s going up to plus 5 on Wednesday and then going back down again. This is how things have been for the past couple of years. I had to laugh because it finally got cold enough (it had been hovering around -2 for weeks) for the National Capital Commission to open the Rideau Canal for skating but it was too cold for anyone to go out and skate. Now it will get too warm and they will have to wait again.

Re: the wall-handling task: “This is an observation exercise that will bring you intimate contact with the bones of your apartment. Imagine your hands are placed against the side of a giant whale, and as you move, you are feeling the living, breathing skin on a more greater being. This is your home….By coming to know the physical structure better, you will be alerted to things that would improve it, as well as find new ideas for arranging each room.” The example he gave was of a woman who kept her windows open 24/7 because she smoked a lot and, as a result, the walls got cold and gave a chilly atmosphere to her apartment. I would have thought Gillingham-Ryan could have intuited that from the open windows. Personally, I think it’s hogwash.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.