Home Forums Technology DVDs, CDs, Home Movies DVD storage

This topic contains 14 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Claycat 9 years, 9 months ago.

• Author

zchristy

I have removed all of my dvds /movies from their plastic cases and found a wonderful leather-look book with pages. Most of the movies doesn’t have any jnsert except for a chapter list and I am going to see if our curbside recycling will recycle the plastic cases.

Dozens of movies literally fit in a book 2 inches wide and I love it. Only issue is going to be running out of pages- the store I bought it at has quit carrying them and the replacement pages, so when this book is full, I’ll be on the lookout for something comparable.

But I’m curious- how do you store your dvd collections?

nws2002

DVD storage

Same way as you do!

I have a larger binder that hold all of the movies, and a smaller one that holds maybe 12 or so that I use when I want to take them along somewhere.

Lehcarjt

DVD storage

I do the same as you do with the book-like holder. My husband thinks they scratch easier in it though. We’ve been arguing that for years. (The cases are recyclable – I’ve never had a problem.)

DVD storage

We use the slim dvd cases. We bought a box of them online and have moved our library of DVDs to the thin cases. It really cuts down on the shelf space, perhaps even 25% of the thickness of a regular case.

karenmcgowan

DVD storage

We store them in the albums too and take the cases to the library (they lend dvds and always need replacement cases). With a Netflix subscription and the library we hardly even buy dvds any more, in fact, we just culled a bunch from our collection to take to the library. It’s so much easier to part with items when you know they are going to be of use to someone else!

Mrs.Mack

DVD storage

We store them in binders. Walmart had leather-looking ones that held 200 disks each, so we got two (my husband LOVES movies). One’s full and the other is almost full… and I can’t find more of the same binder anymore! Will have to get another kind I guess.

DawnF

DVD storage

These are great ideas, BUT if you ever want to sell the DVDs, you probably won’t have much luck selling them without their original case(s). Every few years or so I take a batch of our unwanted/old DVD movies and CD music to a store called CD Exchange that buys DVDs, CDs and video games, and get cash back on the spot. It’s awesome! You have to have the original box/case though.

So, if you’re totally positive you’ll keep the movies forever, then these binder systems are great. But, if there’s a chance that you’ll want to sell them for cash then I highly suggest keeping the cases.

Vivace

DVD storage

What DawnF says is true, but there’s always the middle ground of putting the DVDs in sleeves for the time being and storing the cases in boxes, which is at least more efficient usage of space.

I personally have begun ripping my favorite movies to my computer like I long ago did with my music – I’m hoping the day will soon come when I don’t need to hold on to DVDs any more than I hold on to CDs.

Brontide

DVD storage

We use the slimline cases and metal mesh cd bins ( x 7 ) for our collection of 200+ disk that now fit neatly on a small shelf under the TV.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop/collections/mediaStorage/cDsCassettes?productId=10008698

We stash the original boxes in the garage.

JLBanker

DVD storage

I gathered together all the movies I know I was never going to watch again and gave them away and the rest I did the binders as well.

The only problem with the binders though is if I decide I don’t want a movie anymore it is harder to sell or donate. One thing that is great though is I got a binder for my parents so I usually check with them first to donate my old movies. They are usually more than willing to take them off my hands.

Charity

DVD storage

We got rid of most recently. The others, mainly workouts and kids films, are in specific DVD boxes from Ikea, in a cupboard.

charmed2482

DVD storage

i eliminated the bulk of my DVD collection recently. so all that is left fits on the shelves of the table stand we have our TV on. i am keeping only the DVD’s i plan on watching more than once.

MsDasha

DVD storage

We have a bunch of black, fake leather two-tall, one-wide zippered CD books. One for games, one for music, one for movies, one for tv shows. I’m getting another one tomorrow to split husband’s games up – one for consoles one for PC games. I also have a small CD book with the software for my mac and my wii games (I really like white plastic, I guess?). They all live behind a door in the entertainment center so I don’t mind that they don’t exactly match. Each of the binders is labeled on the spine with what is in it.

A couple of movies and tv shows we have in the original boxes because we watch them a lot and like the boxes (Amelie, complete Friends). My husband has all of James Bonds on DVDs in their boxed sets too and that might need a separate binder for them when he is ready to say goodbye to those boxes. We rarely buy new stuff now, so they usually live in their own boxes until they’ve been watched or played then go into the “archives” for more permanent storage.

Claycat

DVD storage

I only buy DVDs if I really love them and plan to watch them over and over. I have Netflix, which I love, so I seldom buy movies. Besides, they are expensive!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.