Home Forums Technology DVDs, CDs, Home Movies DVD Cases – What to do with them?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  cheesehead4ever 8 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Arisena

I finally decided to take the plunge and put all of my DVDs into a couple of big binders <organized by style of movie =)>. This feels wonderful, and will help in my next imminent move, but now I have about 5 boxes full of empty DVD cases. I love reusing items rather than recycling, but have no idea what to do with these.

So far I have thought of giving them to a library as replacement cases for those that are worn out. Any other ideas? I’m just drawing a blank.

snosie

DVD Cases – What to do with them?

You could ebay them, outlining that they are used? Maybe in batches of the same colour (ie, black one, clear ones etc). I know some people like them all displayed visually so someone might take them off your hands. Alternatively, freecycle or craigslist

Parsifal

We’re doing the same with our DVDs now. Sadly, empty DVD cases are pretty much worthless. I suggest just chucking them in the recycling bin and commit to making purchases without as much wasteful packing material in the future.

That being said, I actually DID find a taker for a box of new, unused CD jewel cases so it never hurts to ask.

Jude2004

I have no desire to stick all my DVDs into binders. For one thing, I don’t think it’s all that good for the DVD itself. For another thing, I like the covers and accompanying artwork. So I believe that there *is* a market for empty DVD cases. It seems as though libraries could definitely use them. If not, I would.

Periwinkle

I’d try freecycle. Could be useful for people who burn their own DVDs, for example.

Anonymous

There are a few of the older kind of DVD cases that are deep enough to store things in. I keep mounted rubber stamps in old VHS tape holders (I Dremel off the raised spots if I need to.)

Now the rubber stamps arrive unmounted and have a system of acrylic blocks they cling to. I can store them in thinner cases, like the DVD cases, or even CD jewel cases.

Ella

Definitely give them to your library.

ArtGal

I use them in our art classroom as book covers…the kids write and illustrate a book and put it in the case…and sometimes we make a dvd movie of them reading it to keep in the case as well! It’s a great project…check with your local elementary schools 🙂

pkilmain

Yes, call your library! I always hated to spend $$ on cases to replace those that get trashed from overuse. Libraries have small enough budgets as it is, so things like DVD cases for free are always welcome. Also your excess pens and pencils!

We just put all of our DVD’s in binders a month ago after we moved into a smaller house. I called our local library and they said they would take every single case we had. The library was very grateful for them.

I did notice at Best Buy in the entry area that they had recycling bins for cell phones, CD’s etc. including jewel cases. So that is another option also.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.