This topic contains 37 replies, has 20 voices, and was last updated by  Rozzie 7 years, 11 months ago.

• Author

charmed2482

So i used drop off laundry services for the first time yesterday and I think I’m in love.

I’m totally caught up on laundry right now, and they folded everything for me. I haven’t got it all put away yet, but I am so happy that i didn’t have to spend several hours at the laundry mat listening to screaming kids and getting hit on by weird creepy men while I’m trying to read!

It seems like it costs a lot, but I wouldn’t probably only need to go maybe once a month, if I kept using it. I wash my underwear at home in this http://www.laundry-alternative.com/wonderwash.htm b/c I don’t like the idea of some guy I don’t know messing with my undergarments. but everything else is fine, they will even bleach the whites.

and I won’t have to buy much detergent either, I was thinking about changing up my closet so I don’t have to hang things after they have folded them all. I have to think about it and plan it our a bit more and decide what I want to do. I just wish I had tried it sooner!

I don’t have a washer, and don’t have space for one even if I got one. I can only do really small loads in the wonder wash and they have to hang dry on a small drying rack I have. i like using it in the winter when i don’t feel like going to the laundry mat or for small loads when I really want/need to wear something that is dirty way before I would normally go do laundry.

My boyfriend thinks its lazy, but a Facebook friend of mine said her whole family uses drop off laundry and she has a husband and two kids, she’s paying a lot more than me, she must really think its worth it. i know i do.

lucy1965

Drop off laundry

Is your boyfriend volunteering to take over the job for you? Contributing to the laundry fund? Then he can go whistle: it’s your money and your time, and you’re the one who gets to decide what’s a good use of both.

pkilmain

Drop off laundry

I’ve only used drop off laundry on vacation, but I can totally see its appeal!

nws2002

Drop off laundry

FWIW, I have a washer and dryer at home and I still use the local fluff and fold, ends up being $20 a week or so for all my laundry. Drop it off in the morning and its ready to go on my way home from work. Well worth the cost because it is folded or on hangers and ready to be put away when I pick it up.

bandicoot

Drop off laundry

it sounds like an absolutely marvellous service to me!
    if i lived in town/had kids….i’d lose my washer and dryer and just use the service.
    this idea of doing it all yourself at home is kind of new anyway. post-ww2 perhaps? (something to do with synthetic detergents becoming readily available for the first time, not to mention the technology for the machines)
    before that, people had laundry-women who came around or they sent their laundry out.

as for the boyf….i agree with what lucy said!

chacha1

Drop off laundry

+ 1 on the boyfriend. If he ain’t helping, he can shut it!

My DH does our laundry. I hate using the shared machines in (the basement of) our building. So if something gets a bit shrunken or the detergent doesn’t wash completely out … I don’t say a word. πŸ™‚

If it were just me, I have a feeling I would be a regular user of the cleaners in our office building. Working people shouldn’t feel guilty for paying for services. You can use a service for a long time before you hit what a washer/dryer installed in your home, plus the water & power/gas over their lifetimes, would cost.

bandicoot

Drop off laundry

the great thing is that we get to choose nowadays.
    i choose to do the laundry (we are all-natural-fibre kids who work at home, so our laundry is simplicity itself)….but i happily and gratefully palm off the cleaning and gardening to paid professionals.
    i could spend that money employing someone in our business instead…..but we love our work, so we do the vast bulk of it ourselves.
    the gardeners and cleaners get to work for themselves, the money goes round the local community, we get spend our time and energy on what we love and we don’t spend our time off polishing the furniture….i cannot see a single downside to outsourcing whatever chore you least like.

charmed2482

Drop off laundry

He said it was lazy and I said i needed to get caught up, b/c i hadn’t been caught up since my last vacation in July. He asked why and I told him it was b/c i was doing HIS laundry too, and I hate hauling more than one bag/hamper to the mat at a time. So I would put all his in and then whatever could fit of mine. He said he didn’t ask me to do his, but every time I SAY I am going to do laundry or need to he asked me if i can take some or all of his. So I just did it anyway to help him out, and he did actually ask me the first time, I did laundry after I came back from vacation(visited friends in another state and he wasn’t with me). So then he said I don’t need to do his laundry if its such a burden in a snotty tone. I told him it wasn’t a burden but I wasn’t carrying my full tote and his full plastic hamper(which is hard to carry down our stairs anyway).

So he can go back to doing his own laundry all the time then, But i am going to keep using drop off services while I’m in school. if I had my own washer, I wouldn’t mind b/c I can throw a load in and then do whatever and then just switch it over when it was don’t.

he seems to have a problem paying someone to do something he can do himself. But its not like he likes doing laundry or cleaning, he just doesn’t want to spend money to let someone else do it. I’m totally for paying people to do stuff I’d rather now. If I had to clean the bathroom(i don’t he does that) I would totally pay someone to do the deep cleaning maybe once or twice a month, I hate cleaning bathrooms. I even suggested we pay someone once and he said no. That’s fine with me, but I know he doesn’t enjoy it and doesn’t do it nearly as often as it needs to be done. but I keep the kitchen clean so I’m not touching it.

and no he’s not paying for it, I paid for it with my own money. and when I helped out with his clothes before I paid for that too, so he has no room to say anything to me. He spends his money on electronic toys, I will spend mine on laundry services.

irishbell

Drop off laundry

Good for you charmed 2482!! You just let him do his own laundry without making an issue out of it, and you can do yours by dropping off!
    I know when my 5 kids were all fairly young, I used the local cleaners for my husbands ironable work shirts and pants.I dropped off about twice a month, it was $1 per shirt, 1 free with every dozen, I don’t remember about the pants though. It was so worth it and WONDERFUL! He didn’t complain one bit, said it was a super idea, actually.

bandicoot

Drop off laundry

i agree with klutzgrrl.
    if this is a boyf whom you are considering moving in with or even marrying one day…then these are topics that need to be discussed beforehand.
    you are coming from very different places on this issue and he sounds…well..a bit judgemental.
    and i am judging him for being judgemental, lololol.

charmed2482

Drop off laundry

we are already living together. cleaning isn’t really a big deal right now since we uncluttered so much, it doesn’t really get all that messy. He cleans up his own stuff, i don’t usually mess with any of it. he does the bathroom(usually when people come over or he feels like doing it) and I do the kitchen most of the time.

I don’t want kids so I’m not really worried about things getting harder if we buy a house or whatever. I don’t have any intention on doing any more work than I feel my time is worth spending on. its not really a big issue, i don’t really care if he thinks its lazy to pay someone to do my laundry, I’m gonna keep doing it anyway.

irishbell

Drop off laundry

It sounds like you have things under control as far as housework etc., which is great.
    I wouldn’t mind if others thought I was lazy,(I could care less, one of the wonderful things I’ve learned as I get older- not to care about what OTHERS think of me!)) but I would mind severely if my DH said he thought I was lazy!

charmed2482

Drop off laundry

I don’t care if he thinks it’s lazy, i have school work, and a part time job right now and I still need to keep the kitchen clean. Every time my boyfriend cooks it looked like a tornado went off in the kitchen.

lottielot

Drop off laundry

you are so not lazy! Laundromats are horrible places, they cost a fortune and the second I could afford it I bought a washing machine so I never had to go near one again. Outsourcing a job you hate isn’t lazy, it’s common sense! Your boyfriend is just being tight πŸ™‚ If you have no room for a washing machine, it’s much cheaper to send out your washing than to have to pay for a place big enough to house a machine, maybe you could point that out to him.
    My dh is always telling me I’m lazy, it is one of his worst characteristics and the one thing which makes me as mad as hell! I study full time and have 2 kids to look after pretty much unaided by him or anyone else, I do all the cooking, cleaning, washing (actually the biggest task for a family of 4!), ironing, DIY, gardening, shopping, errands, car-related crap, household admin etc etc etc. Which would all be a full time job even without the full time study, so for him to call me lazy is infuriating!! I’m actually asking around for a cleaner right now, because the house is looking much better now I’ve decluttered and I have better things to do with my time than clean the bathroom floor πŸ™‚

loripax

Drop off laundry

Outsourcing all the way, baby! There is nothing wrong with hiring people to do stuff, especially when it’s the stuff you hate to do and you can find someone to handle it well at a reasonable cost.

Me, I don’t mind doing laundry one bit, but I’m looking seriously at hiring someone to come and clean this house every other week. Doing the basics takes me 3+ hours and puts me in a very bad mood, thus it doesn’t get cleaned as often as it should. Even if it ends up costing me close to my hourly rate (which I can’t imagine it would), I would still rather spend 3 hours editing a paper or up in the studio to earn the money to pay for a cleaner than scrubbing toilets or vacuuming. And feeding the local economy is a Good Thing.

Charity

Drop off laundry

My washer is currently broken, still waiting for the repairman to show up (he cancelled today, grr) and I’m really suffering. My 2 year old wets himself quite frequently still, and one of my cats was sick on the sofa the other day… I don’t drive (poor eyesight means I’m not legal), and I can’t take all the laundry on the bus even without the kids so I have to get DH to take everything. But we can’t park by the laundrette, so kids and I have to go to and I jump out with all the stuff while he drives around the block to pick me up again. It’s very stressful.

HelofaMess

Drop off laundry

I’m 100% behind the vote for outsourcing! I get that “you could do it yourself” at the laundromat but if you can afford to get someone else to do it for you then go for it! Especially when time is precious for earning money and study! This makes me think of the ebay-itis discussion… is it “worth” your time?

Totally agree that if your boyfriend disapproves he can do his own laundry!

HelofaMess

Drop off laundry

ps… as we live overseas I don’t work (can’t on my visa) AND we have a lovely woman who comes in 3 days a week and does all the cleaning, ironing and washing. As I went to boarding school before and all shirts went to the school laundry to be ironed and then moved here and always had help I’ve never ironed a shirt in my life… my husband is SCANDALIZED! lol! It’s a tough life but someone has to do it and I’m happy to take one for the team πŸ˜‰

mdfloyd

Drop off laundry

I used a laundry service before I bought my house. When I bought my house I also bought a washer and dryer, thrilled beyond belief I’d never have to worry about dragging my clothes back and forth.

But as time goes on and those times I get really busy with projects I will revert to going back to the laundry service. It’s wonderful to drop it off, and come back that day or the next and all the laundry is clean, dry, folded, and hung.

I have to look for someone to clean my house — I did have a young college woman who came over once or twice a month for several years and I loved not having to worry about mopping floors or swabbing out cobwebs. But after she graduated and got married, for some reason she gave up cleaning houses for other people. πŸ˜‰

charmed2482

Drop off laundry

I don’t iron either. My boyfriend has one and a ironing board but he only gets it out when he needs to dress up for something nice. I have never owned my own iron and my mom hating ironing with a passion, so she learned how to fold things and shake them out when they came out of the dryer so they didn’t need to be ironed. we had one in the house but it almost never got used. I remember my dad used to get on me about wearing wrinkled clothes, and he would make me iron them. I don’t know why it even matters if your clothes are a little wrinkled. They usually just wrinkle when you wear them anyway. I just try to buy things that don’t need to be ironed all the time. I almost never dress up for anything so I don’t iron anything and haven’t since I was a teenager when my dad used to make me iron my clothes if I was at his house and what I was wearing was wrinkled.

If I had a bigger place I would hire someone to do some of the cleaning, but its small enough, and I’ve uncluttered enough I don’t really need to. Its easy for me to keep the kitchen clean, and we have no kids or pets. I had a huge apartment before moving here and I was really thinking of getting someone to do the floors and the bathroom every couple of weeks b/c I hated those two jobs.

lottielot

Drop off laundry

I only iron my dh’s work shirts, he has to look smart at work. I actually quite enjoy ironing, but only if it’s about 10 shirts at a time so I can get into a rhythm with it, I can listen to a podcast at the same time and sip a glass of wine and slip into a meditative mode πŸ™‚ Plus it’s only once a fortnight! My mum used to iron EVERYTHING and she hated it and always had a huge ironing pile on the go so she used to pay me to do it, probably why I don’t mind it now. However, life is too short to iron most stuff, I have friends who iron T-shirts and children’s underwear and stuff and you think ‘uh?’ They must spend hours doing it, no-one is EVER going to know if your kid’s undies are wrinkled and it’s just a complete waste of time and energy! Ooh, I just remembered once when I was a teenager I bought this lovely shirt which was that crinkly fabric. My mum ironed it, and it was never the same again! More crinkly fabric-ed shirts, that’s what we need in life…

pkilmain

Drop off laundry

I iron less than once every 6 months! If my husband wants something ironed, he does it himself. When I was married to my first husband back in the dark ages we took his work/dress shirts to a laundry. Neither one of us wanted to iron them. πŸ™‚ My sister on the other hand, who’s house is always a total disaster, loves to iron! When her kids were little she ironed all their clothes. She ironed pillowcases, though she stopped short of ironing sheets.

My husband was very ill from 1999 through about 2003, and we had a cleaning service that whole time. I was very happy not to have to deal with keeping the house clean (and she’d do laundry too, at least the linens/towels) while trying to work and deal with his illness. I would have her still but she moved, and by then my husband was better and agreed that he would do more (since he had retired) and we’d save money. He does do a lot, and I don’t feel the least bit guilty. He was born neat/tidy/uncluttered, and has finally learned that I wasn’t.

luxcat

Drop off laundry

there is certainly no reason not to use a laundry service if you can afford it without affecting being able to pay for other basics (housing, food, insurance, emergency savings fund, etc). If you have all those things accounted for then go for it! I recently hired a housecleaner (god bless her soul) to come every other week. My frugal little heart had struggled against such an expenditure but the reality is that it frees me up to both work more effectively and enjoy free time more effectively and it worth every dime. Now I just have to put up with people who, when they find out somehow (I do not advertise it) say “OH you have a HOUSECLEANER” like you have to be a millionaire to have one. Is it an investment? Yes. Is it worth it? you bet your laundry basket it is.

PS… I don’t iron either, we either avoid things that need it or work clothes go to the cleaners. life is too short. if I didn’t work full time however I would be happy to do it.

irishbell

Drop off laundry

@lottielot- I bet if you took one day off and did only your studies and taking care of your kids, not anything else that you normally do on a daily basis, DH might come home and freak! You could say, well yes, maybe today I was LAZY!
    I never had to resort to that for my DH but a few times I did go on strike to teach the kids a small lesson on taking someone for granted! πŸ™‚

lottielot

Drop off laundry

lol, irishbell, we have had days like that, still do sometimes πŸ™‚ When I went back to work when ds1 was small, dh promised to pull his weight and did…nothing. So I went on strike, I did none of his washing and none of his cooking, just stuff for ds1 and me. He soon started doing a bit more cooking and shopping, he realised he didn’t want to have to do his own washing! My mum used to go on strike periodically, she’d have a complete meltdown and go to bed for a week. I think that was a bit extreme and probably related to her depression and to her perfectionism. She did everything for everyone in the house and hated people helping and doing things ‘wrong’, then she’d get overwhelmed and go into a huge sulk. I’m aiming for more of a team effort myself, I want my kids to have some independence and also to take a reasonable share of the housey stuff. So they empty the dishwasher, make themselves breakfast and sometimes lunch, they’ll set the table, my ds1 will bring the washing in off the line, they will both put their clean laundry away occasionally, if we do a supermarket run they’re in charge of buying things they like and the list of things I ask them to find, etc. I’m finding having a more organised house makes it easier to ask them to do things, although I still have to nag a lot! I think you’re right, it’s easy for kids to take all your work for granted, and there is no better lesson than them having to do it themselves πŸ™‚

lottielot

Drop off laundry

Anita, that’s a good attitude to have, stick with it! Unfortunately, as time, jobs and (mainly) children intervene that sense of equality can fade pretty fast πŸ™‚ Falling into gender stereotypes seems like a pretty easy thing for many men to do…

pkilmain

Drop off laundry

My stepdad helped at home a lot, and since my mom had never had to anything as a child (her grandmother lived with them, plus she was an only child), she was determined that her children (me and my sister) wouldn’t go into adulthood not knowing how to care for themselves and their home. BY elementary school we knew how to clean house, do laundry, dishes, and cook simple meals. THe cooking evolved into mostly me doing it all (as I enjoyed it) while my sister did more baking. My stepdad taught us how to grocery shop. First he’d take us with and tell us what he was doing, then he’d go with but let us take the lead, next he’d stay in the car, and when I was old enough to drive, he’d just hand me the keys and the money. Of course by then I was also doing the meal planning as well. This all stood me well when I lived on my own after university and when I eventually got married.

My husband cooks only a little (pours a mean bowl of cereal though! And, more importantly, can make coffee. πŸ™‚ ), but he cleans well, and can do laundry, though the matter of hanging thinks unwrinkled or taking them immediately from the dryer still hasn’t sunk in. He does fold and put away, and I seldom complain. He also washes dishes, as he hates the dishwasher which I will use if he doesn’t help with the washing up.

misskittin

Drop off laundry

This thread is hilarious to me because my parents owned a laundromat with one of these services. I spent most of my childhood at the laundromat and did a good amount of work there. Don’t worry about washing your own underwear either..we are in such a hurry to do things and see SO MUCH laundry there really is no big deal with a little underwear. Unless there’s skidmarks in your skivvies in which case we are grossed out. Yes..this happened more than you would think lol…

charmed2482

Drop off laundry

My boyfriend does pull his weight for the most part, he cleaned up after himself, which is good b/c I refuse to clean up his stuff. Most of the time he does his own laundry too. i feel bad and feel like I should do more b/c he works full time and i don’t. I didn’t have classes this summer so I told him I would help with his laundry. But I have classes now and don’t have as much time. School is the reason I don’t work full time, and it was his idea that I work part time so I wouldn’t have to be in school forever taking once class at a time. He’s not a super messy person so I’m grateful for that, and he does more cooking sometimes. He also doesn’t really complain when i get overwhelmed with schoolwork and don’t get dishes done or other stuff that I normally do, so its really not to bad. He just has this thing about wasting money. But then sometimes he will tell me “its your money do whatever you want”, but then when I do he complains. Mostly I just ignore it and do whatever I want anyway, b/c its my money and he told me I didn’t have to pay rent since I was only working part time and don’t make much, I pay my car insurance, was paying for school for a year from savings and i buy most of the food for us.

I’m not about to feel guilty for having someone do my laundry though, I don’t care. I didn’t think i would use it more than once when I first went, but now that i see how easy it was and how much time it saved me i’m gonna keep going back.

the main reason i didn’t want to take my underwear is b/c the particular guy that was there, that also did my laundry kinda creeps me out. He was staring at my chest one day when I made the mistake of wearing a lowcut shirt to the laundry mat and had to get some change from him. and I don’t know who works when so i decided I’d rather not take them down there. Sometimes there is a women working, or this other guy that don’t creep me out at all, but the other guys does and he happened to be there. Its super easy to wash those at home in my wonder wash and then hang them on my drying rack so i don’t mind doing that. I’m gonna let them do my socks and other stuff next time though, I did those at home to and it took longer than i thought it would.

if I still had pets, I would totally hire someone to help me clean.

djk

Drop off laundry

just had DH call a local place to find out if they would take pressing only (wash and dry on the rack at home, they iron) and they do indeed. He does his own pressing, and sometimes mine, but all those natural fabrics I wear get underused because I find ironing a useless, pointless, boring task.

Tomorrow, a few things will be dropped off as a trial. Ironing is a waste of time unless it is fun for you. If I can pay someone…geez, it feels like Christmas!

chacha1

Drop off laundry

djk, my folks are retired and my mom STILL irons Dad’s shirts! She complains, but I think she must like it just a little bit. ‘Cause I’m pretty sure he couldn’t care less.

Me? No. Even the shirts that should be ironed most often aren’t. Enjoy your early Xmas present (the pressing service)!

Rozzie

Drop off laundry

Hey, if it’s something you can afford, and you don’t want to do laundry, then go ahead and drop it off!

Do remember that they may use a harsher detergent than you would, and that clothes may be dried at a hotter temperature for a longer time than you would dry them. You may see a bit of a reduced lifespan on the clothes (and some shrinking or color fade) if this is the case.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.