Home Forums Welcome Hello! Donate or Have A Yard Sale?

This topic contains 22 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Ella 6 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

Hi everybody! I’m new here. Wanted to say “hello” and ask your opinion on something. The year 2011 is the year that our family has decided to par down our belongings and clutter and get organized.

My husband would like to hold a yard sale in the Spring to get rid of the excess stuff. I, however, would really like to just box stuff up and donate…you know, get it OUT of the house.

What are your thoughts on this? I would appreciate any feedback or comments.

Rosa

Donate or Have A Yard Sale?

Donate, donate, donate.

But, if you can’t agree, you could always let him do the garage sale while you donate, and work on separate areas of the house/each deal with your own stuff.

That’s a good idea, Rosa. With my hubby, we have to take Baby Steps. He just now got on board and I really don’t want to overwhelm him at this stage of the game. I think I may go with the line, “If we box things up and take them to Goodwill (or another donation site), we won’t be handling the clutter/stuff twice. How does that sound Honey? It will be less work…” 🙂

Rosa

It *is* less work!

I already know that. It’s convincing HIM of that!

I have fun doing yard sales but I am at the point in my decluttering where I just want the stuff gone. I have been donating a lot more, and since our apartment complex doesn’t do a community yard sale every year anymore the best choice for me is to donate it. Even better, sometimes Goodwill will do a pick up and come right to your front door!

themusiclivez, I used to have fun doing Yard Sales as well. I have been doing them since I was 13, and I am now 42. I have realized over the last few years, that they aren’t as much fun as they used to be. In the area I live, it seems that even if you have something priced for a dime, customers will ask if you will take a nickel!

So now, I feel the same as you! I just want it gone! We have a local (no-kill) animal shelter that takes donations for their thrift store and I would like to help support them.

Maybe if you worked out a day-by-day schedule of the time it will take BOTH of you to organize, hold and clean up after a yard sale it might convince him that it is more time and trouble than HE is willing to invest. Has he ever been to a yard sale? If not, he may have an unrealistic expectation of what your stuff will sell for. Perhaps spending a few hours one weekend doing market research will convince him.

Some people actively enjoy the yard sale process, I don’t.

Well, we have discussed this a little more in detail today since I posted this and he now says, “Whatever you say, dear!”. It sort of surprised me!

Anonymous

I will add a word of caution in case your hubby still needs convincing. I held a garage sale a few years back in the house I lived in all alone. A week later I was burglarized. The police said that is is not uncommon for a criminal to scope out your stuff and get an idea of your situation from visiting your yard sale.

SunshineR

AnotherDeb: Thanks for sharing that idea.

loripax

It is a *lot* less work to donate, and don’t forget that if you itemize your deductions, you can take the tax deduction for the thrift shop value of the donation, too.

Anonymous

Great question, monkeysmomma. It’s totally easier to donate than do a yard sale. Unless you’ve got a lot of really wonderful stuff, and promote your sale with signs/free advertising, you probably won’t make much money.
    As you plan with your husband, (who sounds like he’s coming around a little more to your way of thinking!) set a date or 2 and work backwards. Yard sale on xxx means we have to put signs up around the neighborhood by xxx minus 2, get all the stuff priced and have a set out plan by xxx minus 3, plan to be around the whole day of the sale, etc etc. It’s a ton of work.
    And, if you go with the yard sale, ask if he will agree that anything that doesn’t sell goes right to donation.
    Good luck!

bandicoot

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay simpler to donate.
    way less work and way less effort.
    however if you are someone who likes the idea of playing shop for the day and throwing a sale and having friends around to help and meeting some further-flung neighbours than you might normally….then by all means go for it and enjoy it.
    just don’t expect it to bring you in amazing quantities of cashola, unless you are selling completely incredible stuff. and most people aren’t.

My formula would go like this:

* time vs expected windfall (or not)
    * desire to help no kill shelter (a whole lot) vs need of my family for extra cash
    * yard sale is socially valuable (fun) vs horrible experience for all
    appropriateness of selling at a yard sale – what kind of things do I want to sell (valuable expensive netsuke worth $3,000 but would fetch $1.00 at yard sale vs extra plastic chairs worth $5.00 that I would be happy to get $1.00 for?)
    * Perhaps the most important consideration = do you need/want the extra cash and is it worth the time, expense and effort (fun/aggravation) involved in putting a yard sale on?

For myself I would be thrilled to donate to a no kill shelter! And I’m going to mention the idea to a couple no kill shelters here!!! I would love to support a good cause like that!

habithacker

I’ve enjoyed all these thoughtful responses.

I’ve done both and yard sale is a huge undertaking. I did one two years ago and one of the reasons that I could tolerate the hassle is that I donated money from it to my fav charity.

But I’m glad your husband is being so reasonable. Donate!!!

Thanks so much to everybody who gave their input. Last year, we held a yard sale (out first in 3 years). We made, maybe around $300. It was a lot of work, too. $300 worth of yard sale items would go a long way towards helping out out No-Kill Shelter.

I just wanted to get everyone’s input….see if I was on the right track!

SunshineR

What a generous way to assist a charity…and a good profit for a yard sale. Some of you folks must have had some very nice and popular items, to make an amount such as $300. Congrats and best wishes to the good causes!

Both?

When my family moved into a smaller space we had a garage sale and made 6k. Everything else that was left we donated.

There is a trick to doing garage sales though so I recommending planning and pricing everything out the night before and have everything ready to go before you start putting you signs out.

shebolt

I think it also depends upon your location. I will never again have a yard sale in my yard. My town requires a permit for yard sales, but runs two “free” days each year. I’ve found that, even with additional advertising, there just isn’t enough yard sale traffic in my town to make it worth my while.

However, there is a nearby town that has a vibrant and active yard sale community. No permits are required, and there are sales all over the town from spring through fall. There are a lot of shoppers that come from all over the area just to hit this town. My friend lives in the town in question, and I have boxes in my basement to bring to her yard sale this spring.

I am always shocked when I watch that show where they sell their clutter at a yard sale to make money for renovations or updates. I think it is called “Clean House”?

The amount that some people make is unreal! We would never be able to make thousands of dollars where I live!

Ella

klutzgrrl: Goodwill drop-off is always busy right after people have done big clean-outs over the weekend. Try another day.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.