Home Forums Challenges Declutter fat by New Year's Day

This topic contains 35 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Alexandria Friedman 1 year, 3 months ago.

• Author

ottawa

I have decided (again) to change my diet. I say change because I as told many years ago during one of my periods at WeightWatchers that every dieting pattern is a “diet”; the word doesn’t just mean losing weight. So I have changed from a yoyo to a lose weight diet.

I was at my highest many years ago at 178 (obese, but I didn’t look it) and I decided then and there that I would NOT buy a larger pair of jeans and that I WOULD make a concerted effort to get back down to a reasonable weight. I managed, on and off, to get down to 139, just barely on the normal side of the normal/overweight line, in January, but I have managed to put 8 lbs back on since, so I am back to a real, real weight loss program.

I started last Sunday, at 147.5 lbs. This Sunday, I am 145.5. It’s not the “up to 8 lbs” loss normal for the first week but it is respectable and I did backslide a few times. I’ve tweaked things a bit so this week should be a guaranteed 1 lb (or more, dare I hope?). At a pound a week, I should be at 120ish by New Year’s.

You are welcome to join me.

ottawa

End of Week 2. So much for a “guaranteed 1 lb” loss. This week I lost 1/2 lb. [Sigh] Friday, I was down to 144.0. Saturday, I was up to 146. Now I’m 145. This is why I’ve given up on diets so many times, because of the apparently senseless ups and downs. I was good over Friday and good yesterday, so why the big fluctuation? In any event, I did lose so I’ll keep things up.

ottawa

End of Week 3. Bizarre. All last week, I was steady at 145, despite eating much less to to the hot weather. This morning, I am magically down 2 pounds. What gives? Total loss: 4 and a half pounds.

daylily
    Participant

Were you drinking extra to keep cool? That often tips the balance back again – Keep on going – It is always slower than we wish. I have not yet set a weight goal per week, but do have a longterm goal to focus on healthier foods, including more meals from scratch so I know what is in them. Any hints on slaying the ice cream cravings? ( the only thing I really want to eat when it is hot.) I have tried cold turkey and that has just made me feel guilty when I succumb to a sale….

ottawa

I made a list of the things I usually eat and attached the calorie counts to them and then I deducted about 200 calories and rearranged my intake. It means drinking 1-2 cups less of Coca Cola a day (tragedy) but it is working. I calculate that I’ll lose about a pound a week, which is what WeightWatchers said was a normal drop. It’s just the day-t-day yo-yo effect that astounds me – I mean going up and down and then a sudden drop at the end on the week. Anyway, it is working so I will keep it up. I am determined to make it this time.

I am drinking lots and lots of cold water, which I never did before, and that does help. And I’m trying to monitor the Coke (but it’s HARD).

I broke down yesterday and had an ice cream cone, but I made up for it calorie-wise by skipping something else. Not nutriciously correct, I know, but it was calorie-wise correct.

I also sympathize with Ella, who stuck to her diet from last October onwards, despite having little or no supporters on this site. It’s a pity she’s now left the site. I too thought no one was following me but it didn’t matter to me (although it was lonely) because I am doing this for me. Thank you for commenting.

daylily
    Participant

I try to check in a couple of times a week, but do not always post, as I am continuing to have some difficulties with posting and sometimes even getting on the server… Keep up the good work and know that I am checking in and rooting for you (and myself). My main focus is to keep decluttering in all its aspects and sometimes that is food (fresh and frozen fruit this week instead of ice cream. It is not the same, but it helped a bit.) I also check the other new forums. I hope that the site will rebuild itself… What I liked so much was the interaction. We will need to do that for ourselves. ๐Ÿ™‚

ottawa

End of Week 4. I’m up by half a pound. My head hangs in shame. On the other hand, I’m still down by four pounds, which is a pound-a-week, which is good. I’ll just have to redouble my efforts this week.

ottawa

End of Week 5: Good news is I have lost half a pound (OK, half a pound isn’t really good). Bad news is I gained half a pound the week before, so I’m back to where I was two weeks ago. I guess it’s time to reassess my eating habits.

ottawa

End of Week 6: I’ve lost a pound so I’m back on track.

daylily
    Participant

Great job sticking to the lifestyle change, Ottawa! I am currently trying to stick to a reduced dairy diet…. I drink/eat way too much dairy for an adult and think it may be a part of my digestive “issues”. So I am trying alternatives with slight success. So far almond milk seems to be the best for cereal and am still looking for a satisfying substitute with my tea. Drink it without, I am told, but that just isn’t the way I like my tea and I end up adding much sugar or honey…. not an intended direction. Still almond milk with cereal is a good substitute and as I have that 5 days a week – a good step. Anyone have a preferred soymilk brand? I have not liked any I have tried yet, though they seem more varied than almond milk.

ottawa

End of week 8. I’m back up a pound. I really have to take myself in hand. Sigh.

daylily
    Participant

Don’t let it get to you. Maybe you can put in a bit more movement? Walking, Carrying stuff up and down stairs, standing instead of sitting? It all adds up. Keep thinking positive thoughts and doing positive actions.

ottawa

End of week 8. Down two pounds. The pattern appears to be variations of one-pound-up, two-pounds-down. I’m only two pounds off trajectory, thankfully.

daylily
    Participant

Step by step you move forward!

ottawa

Thank you for your kind words, daylily. The line on my weight chart is erratic but it is going downhill. Enjoy your porch and the soon-to-be patio.

ottawa

End of Week 9. Gained 2 pounds. I think I’ll go back to bed.

daylily
    Participant

Try to focus on the big picture and remember tomorrow is a new day. Keep going, you can get there.

ottawa

I had a serious talk with myself on Sunday and I am sticking religiously to my Diet Plan. I call it a Diet Plan because WeightWatchers said you are not going on a Diet, you are changing your Diet. Whatever plan you have, it’s a Diet. Anyway, I’ve lost 1.5 lbs so far this week. Thank you for the encouragement.

ottawa

End of week 10: I lost two pounds. Now I’m back to where I was two weeks ago. Progress?

daylily
    Participant

Yeah – Progress ๐Ÿ™‚

ottawa

Middle of Week 13: I have been away for two weeks and was dreading coming home and weighing myself because I had little control over diet and exercise BUT I only gained 1 and a half pounds. (Yes, I know it’s a gain, not a loss, but it could have been worse, particularly given the ice cream and also all the candies/cookies the tour manager was constantly handing out.) I will work on those pounds for the rest of this week, so maybe I’ll end out Week 13 at least even with where I was pre-holiday.

daylily
    Participant

I am guessing the ups and downs have to do with input versus output, if you know what I mean… Also water and salt levels, I bet you could research that if you wanted to. In any event, it is hard to keep on the straight and narrow path for eating and exercise when traveling – just do the best you can on both the easy and hard days.

ottawa

End of Week 13: I lost 1 and a half pounds since Wednesday so I’m 141 and a half. Another half pound and I’ll be back where I was five weeks ago. BUT, I’m going down and I’m being good so next week I should set a NEW low. Looking forward to it. When I lose tree pounds, I’ll be normal (as opposed to being overweight).

ottawa

End of Week 14: I stayed the same. I will be very good this week. I promise.

ottawa

End of Week 15: I’m late in reporting because I have been embarrassed by the fact that I gained half a pound instead of losing. I know it’s stupid but there it is. Anyway, I’ve gone down a pound so far this week so I’m hoping I’ll keep it off and this Sunday’s report will be better.

ottawa

End of Week 16: I lost a pound so now I’m 141. I honestly don’t know how I did it. This is equal to the lowest I’ve been since I started this “lifestyle change”. I was last here on August 25th. I do hope this means I’m over the plateau.

daylily
    Participant

Hard to find you in all the spam, but I want to congratulate you on getting back to 141. Best wishes on continuing in your desired direction. ๐Ÿ™‚

ottawa

Thank you. I did the BMI thing yesterday and discovered that I only have to lose one more pound and I’ll be NORMAL. Not Overweight, not Obese, but NORMAL. Looking forward to it, whenever I get there. PS. I did e-mail Admin about the spam on Sunday morning but they haven’t done anything about it yet.

daylily
    Participant

While I have heard that BMI is not a perfect measure – it is certainly a good benchmark along with feeling healthy and energetic. Congrats on sticking with it and making some lifestyle changes which will help you keep feeling both healthy and energetic!

daylily
    Participant

@ottawa – Just checking in — how are you doing??

ottawa

End of Week 17 – 143 pounds. End of Week 18 – 143 pounds. End of Week 19 – 141 and a half pounds. I’ve been watching my weight for 19 weeks now and I’ve lost 6 pounds. That’s a third of a pound a week. My goal had been a pound a week. Not good, all though I am down. My problem is that I’m a very picky eater and there are many things I just won’t touch, either due to dislike, dislike in certain formats or boredom. This makes it hard to plan meals. Oh well.

daylily
    Participant

Still going in the right direction!….Have you considered taking a cooking class or consulting a nutritionist to see if you can take foods you will eat in another direction? I live with an incredibly picky eater who has recently needed to make diet changes, we are slowly getting there…I have been looking online to see easy recipes that incorporate foods he likes and are not crazy hard to make, as I am in no way a cook. Some days we backslide into old habits, but we keep trying.

ottawa

End of Week 22. I’m back down to 141 and a half. I have pulled my socks up today and we’ll see if this lasts.

ottawa

End of Week 26. When I started this Forum six months ago, my goal was to lose 15-20 pounds and slim down from 147 and a half to something svelte(r), or at least a little slimmer. Sad to say that hasn’t worked out. I did get down to 140 but I’m back up to 142. So, that’s 5 and a half pounds in six months. A pound a month. That means it will be 2015 before I get down to 130 (if in fact I do get there). I will remain undaunted, however, and will carry on. After all, I didn’t say New Year’s 2014 did I?

daylily
    Participant

Keep working on being healthy. “Do not despair at slow progress; little by little great things have come to pass. Life, and great things are made up of little things, and little things often lead to great results.” Brother Daniel Orcutt, Enfield, Conn. This is one of my very favorite quotes, reminding me to focus on the little things as a way of measuring progress toward goals. Happy New Year, Ottawa!

Alexandria Friedman
    Participant

So I wanted to say I was really impressed by all the posts I saw in this thread! I’ve kind of embarked on my own fitness adventure (mostly using a copy of Wii Fit, lol) lately and I’ve been looking for a lot of encouraging stories to keep me motivated, and this is exactly what I was hoping for! Thank you all so much for sharing!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.