Home Forums Living Spaces Bedrooms Contact Lens Accessories

This topic contains 7 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  arthelemis 7 years, 6 months ago.

• Author

dragonfruit8

My boyfriend wears contact lenses and keeps all the necessary solutions, etc on his dresser. Any ideas of how to keep all these things looking neat? It usually involves laid out tissues (to prevent liquid from getting on the wood), cases, and 2-3 bottles of various solutions. I’ve been searching for something to make this look neat. It needs to all remain on the dresser because it’s most convenient there. I’ve been looking for some kind of small dresser-top cabinet that a few bottles could stand in, but can’t seem to find anything. Something simple, easy to open, with doors. After not finding anything, I was even looking at doll wardrobes, but nothing seems to be simple enough. I was also thinking that instead of tissues I could find some kind of water absorbent cloth that matches the decor and lay those out on the dresser. Does anyone else have suggestions to go along with these or something better?

dragonfruit8

Contact Lens Accessories

I think I want something like this, but no drawers inside, just empty space.
    http://lumberjocks.com/projects/44254

bandicoot

Contact Lens Accessories

would a small tray be any good?
    or a simple bowl?

pkilmain

Contact Lens Accessories

Hmmm, I keep all my contact paraphenalia in the bathroom, but all I have is a case and a bottle of all purpose solution. I can grab a tissue if I need one, but spillage is easily wiped up and in any case not damaging. I would think you could corral everything on a tray at the very least. As for the cloth, don’t forget that contact solution is essentially salt water, and when it dries it leaves a small bit of salt behind.

ninakk

Contact Lens Accessories

I couldn’t imagine keeping my contacts anywhere but in the bathroom; one is supposed to have really clean hands when putting them on and they are not clean enough unless they have just been washed and dried. And the saline is sticky as well as a liquid so they stay in the bathroom cupboard with protective surface in between bottle/container and cupboard shelf.

Sorry for being blunt, but in certain areas I’m extremely focused on hygiene; at home in the bathroom and the kitchen, at work in a lab just about anywhere or you have (cross-)contaminations of various kinds all over the place.

xarcady

Contact Lens Accessories

This is something I’d move to the bathroom if it’s at all possible. Bathroom surfaces are made to take getting liquids splashed on them and the medicine cabinet would hold all the bottles.

If the bathroom is not a possibility, then first I’d get a waterproof tray or mat for him to use. Once a drop of saline hits a tissue, the surface under the tissue is going to get wet. One drop might not damage the surface underneath, but the accumulation of days and weeks and months of this most likely will. Use the mat with a tissue on top of it to absorb whatever spills.

To hide the bottles, at least one of which is probably fairly tall, I’d look into a basket or bin that would hide the smaller bottles and the case and hide most if not all of the tallest bottle. Can have a lid or not. If the container isn’t waterproof, I’d line it with something that is.

I don’t know what your decorating style is, but I’ve found a few useful bins at the Macbeth Collection: http://www.themacbethcollection.com/shop_buckets.shtml They make bins and totes in a variety of patterns, and they are pretty water-resistant.

Or you could put all the stuff on a tray (which then becomes the waterproof surface) and more or less hide the tray behind something else on the dresser top.

Or, if there is a dresser drawer deep enough, you could put everything in a basket or tote and keep that in the drawer. He’d just have to open the drawer and pull it out twice a day. Personally, I’d find that to be a huge hassle, but he might not.

Irulan

Contact Lens Accessories

I keep my smaller toiletries, including contact stuff, in a soft-sided train case in the bathroom. The train case fits in a deep drawer next to the sink. Some cases have interior pullouts that can serve as a surface, although you can’t sterilize them to the same extent that you can sterilize bathroom surfaces.

If you’re positive that he won’t relocate his stuff to the bathroom, try putting it all on a portable infant’s changing pad on top of the dresser.

arthelemis

Contact Lens Accessories

My brother use a small square wicker basket with a cloth liner. The liner can absorb small spills or drops from the contact case or the solution bottle and almost everything is hidden from plain sight. They are cheap are readily available, plus , there’s so much models with different styles available that you can match any decor.

The one he use look a bit like those, but smaller:
    http://www.containerstore.com/shop/storage/openBinsBaskets/naturalMaterials?productId=10029533&N=71225&Nao=0

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.