Home Forums Unclutter Your Life in One Week Your story Cleaning Garage tomorrow, furniture being delivered on Thursday. Help!

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  luxcat 6 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

summer24

This is hard. My mom is the one with the hoarding problem who can’t throw away junk. Not me. Yet, my garage is full of stuff and it needs to be clear for furniture delivery on Thursday. I know I need to throw things away. I need to organize. I am actually afraid of my garage. The worst part is even if I create enough space for the furniture to be delivered, I already feel shame that it isn’t like the garage shelving commercials. I can see the eyes of the furniture maker (I had a dresser made to custom fit a room) making judgments of the lack of order.

If you have a success story or ideas on how to stay calm while dealing with things that are overwhelming, please share.

luxcat

Cleaning Garage tomorrow, furniture being delivered on Thursday. Help!

well… if you ordered custom furniture did you mean it for the house or the garage? I suspect the house so just direct them to put it there. It’s good however that this alerted you to the garage situation so that you can now direct some attention there…

liag

He doesn’t care, believe me. And he has seen far worse things. Don’t fret.
    I stay calm in underconfident social moments by pretending I am a character in a novel or movie acting out a scene. I narrate in my head as the event unfolds. I have played Meryl Streep playing me many times. Good luck.

summer24

It needs to be wheeled into the garage and then moved into a downstairs room at the same level. It is the easiest way to move it in so that stairs are avoided. It is a long dresser with a bookcase for my room. It is so I can keep books off the floor. I read a lot and to add a lot more storage space for clothes.

As I think this through, I think my underlying concern is will this make me neater? I want to keep my room nice and so far I have been able to say I just don’t have room to put everything away.

Yes, I am glad that I have two days before Thursday delivery to make room if you count Independence Day.

Astreja
    Participant

Worst case scenario:

1. Lay down some plastic somewhere in the yard.

2. Move things out of the garage, without sorting anything, till you have a clear path to the downstairs room. Make sure you have enough room to turn the dresser and the bookcase to get them through the house-side door.

3. Cover the pile of stuff in the yard with more plastic, and/or a tarpaulin if you have one handy.

4. Once the new furniture is in, you can move things back into the garage… Or not, as you prefer.

summer24

Thanks for the responses. Once I started, it wasn’t that bad. I was able to clear about 1/2 of the floor space. It was nice for the encouragement and the yard back up plan. I even went through clothes and have them in the trunk to take to charity.

luxcat

good work!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.