Home Forums Challenges Challenges section

This topic contains 22 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  glossta1 6 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

whyawhelk

The “Challenges” section of the forum has no subforums defined, and therefore on the main forum page, it doesn’t look like there’s anything there, just a black header that says “Challenges” That header doesn’t look clickable, though it is. All the other sections have subsections, even if it’s just one subsection (like this “questions” section under the “forum administration” header), and therefore show a red clickable link on the main page, and also show the most recent topic and reply in each forum when you view the main forum page (HOME>FORUM).

The Challenges forum is one of the the most used (ATAD FATAD etc), but it’s not showing recent activity on the main page because there’s no subforum within the section. Can this be remedied?

whyawhelk

Oh, and the same goes for the Technology channel. That should have a subforum, so the latest post shows op on HOME>FORUM.

ninakk

It would also be very convenient to have Challenges higher up on the page, now that we are supposed to click to individual sections rather than read the type of chronological list of the previous forum. We use it daily whereas for instance using a professional organiser is rarely addressed.

whyawhelk

Prof. Clutter, I think I’m with you here, the lack of an “uncluttered”, as it were, entry page with recent activity will probably result in me bookmarking the Challenges section and foregoing the rest. I appreciate all the work and nifty new features, but there’s too much to look at, it’s made a quick scan of the active threads a bit of an impossibility.

sleepykitten

May I again suggest the “New Topics” link on the top left when you first log in? That’s what I’m using and it gives a list of all threads with recent activity.

ETA: Though I also miss the old entry page and its simplicity. But I don’t want people to give up without trying “New Topics” – it took me a while to find it, as it isn’t intuitive at all, and I’m not sure everyone realizes it is there.

whyawhelk

Sleepykitten, thanks for the suggestion, but that link doesn’t always appear for me, and it only seems to return a few results, six at the moment. Plus, I really don’t want to have to click through to get where I want to be, it takes too much time, and there’s too many opportunities to get distracted.

chacha2

Hi kids, I finally got back in but I had to change my username in order to do so. You can probably guess what the old one used to be. ๐Ÿ™‚ So far I’m kind of hating the new layout – I really liked the chronological feature and the ease of indexing. It’s not going to be the same user experience at all.

sleepykitten

Understood. I’m not really a fan of the new layout/system so far either, but I really love the community and want everyone to stay here, which is why I am trying to find/post solutions as best I can! ๐Ÿ™‚

sleepykitten

Hello!!! I agree that I miss the simplicity of the old layout, but I am hoping that I will get used to this if I give it a few weeks…..

bandicoot

thank you!
    i was wondering where those very active threads had run off to.
    i mean, that is where a lot of the action is happening!

whyawhelk

Yeah, bandicoot, it took me a while to figure it out as well. I thought half the topics were missing.

irishbell

Yep…not getting this new layout one eensy little bit, too much clicking around and refreshing for my lil iPhone … Ill keep trying, even though I fear I’m missing loads!
    I do thank Erin et al, for all the hard work however, old dogs…new tricks, ya know?

Chacha2 — I’m with you. I had to change my user name as well. I added dashes, which looks a bit cluttered to me ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m finding the new format a bit off-putting as well but trust that I will learn to love it — some day. Not today.

Sasjanep

I have to admit, I am not loving the new forums either. I agree with the Whyawhelk’s original point about moving the Challenges section up, and collapsing the older sections, for example the “Uncluttering in the Media”. The only threads in there are pretty old.

I missed my Unclutterer fix as I couldnt access anything for about 10 days, but it is taking me a while to catch up.

glossta1

I’m so pleased to see the Forum back that I don’t want to say anything negative! It’ll take me a while to find my way around and to find my favourite threads, but I’m sure it’ll be worth the steep learning curve. It is lovely to see faces/images to go with the names – I’m sorry I haven’t put a picture up yet, but it’ll take me a while to work out how. Hello to everyone.

clutterbug22

Hi there!
    I’m also finding the new site a real maze, totally different from the previous forum layout and it’s taking me ages to search through to see what’s happening. I keep feeling as if I must be missing something! Still, I suppose it’s a good way to keeping the brain cells on top form, lol!

Erin Doland
    Keymaster

It turns out it’s easier to move things around than I thought it was, so it looks like I’m going to be able to have subtopics added to the Challenges section. I haven’t yet figured out how to reorder the sections, though … so that will take a bit longer.

About seeing new activity like it was in the old Forum, SleepyKitten is right that you just need to click on the “New Topics” link on the Forum homepage. Everything in bold is unread. Blue links are those you’ve commented in. Red links are ones you haven’t. After you read the new comments and go back to “New Topics,” the links are no longer in bold. If you don’t see a “New Topics” link, it’s because you’re not logged in. Also, if nothing appears after you’ve clicked on “New Topics,” it’s because no one has commented since the last time you checked. I just use the back arrow key to get back to the “New Topics” page after clicking on a link.

And, finally, please just try to remember all the spam and lack of private messaging and no search function and no way to like posts and no way to directly respond to a comment instead of an entire thread and all of the things you hated about the old Forum. Yes, this is new, but it’s so much better than our old system. We’ll work out the bugs over the next couple weeks and you’ll come to love it (fingers crossed)!!

Erin Doland
    Keymaster

Oh, and don’t forget that you can create Blogs! If you want to keep a photo log of everything you purge, you can easily do that by setting up a Blog in the system to post the stuff. Or, you could keep a log of things you fix or donate or sell or whatever it is you want to do that is uncluttering related!

luxcat

Thanks for your work Erin!

sleepykitten

Private messaging, search, and less spam (presumably) are all big improvements. The blog idea is interesting – doesn’t appeal to me, personally, but I can see how a photo log of everything uncluttered could be helpful to people. I have a feeling the regular posters on the new unclutterer forum will be different than the regular posters on the old unclutterer forum – some people will find the new space/layout suits their needs really well and others won’t – the accessibility issues with font size and page load time and speed on slow internet connections are all very real issues. But on the flip side, the new look might attract some new members who were turned off by the old forum layout/system.

clutterbug22

Yes, ditto that, Erin. Finding it confusing but hopefully will get there!

Netleigh

Thanks for moving the Challenges up the home page.

glossta1

Erin and Sleepikitten, thanks for all your efforts – I don’t want people to leave either, because the level of support and information was wonderful, and still will be once we all get the hang of everything. What we need is teenagers – they are so intuitive with technology and software, whereas I’m a struggler and slow learner at all this stuff. ATAD is immensely important to me, too – it keeps me going on my journey towards unclutteredness, so having that clearly visible upon logging into the Forum would be great if possible.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.