Home Forums Challenges CHALLENGE: Lehcarjt's Home Office

This topic contains 19 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Claycat 9 years, 5 months ago.

• Author

Lehcarjt

Per the discussion in the challenge thread, I’m setting up my own challenge thread. My area of focus–> My home office. Also per our discussion, I’m attaching a before picture. I can’t tell you how humiliating it is to show anyone this photo.

To explain, I’m a bookkeeper / mom by profession and do all my paid (and unpaid work actually) at home. Nine months ago we put an addition onto our house and my ‘office’ moved into it – actually it’s the back corner of our new larger family room. I didn’t have any furniture though (or flooring – note the plywood floor) and so just threw up a folding table and two old bookcases. Things have been going downhill ever since.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/rtaylortoys/HomeOfficeBefore#5419633486717215682

Note the lack of a computer on the desk. I end up trucking everything I need to the sofa so I can sit on the floor with my clingy baby. Besides, it ‘feels’ awful to work in this mess.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rtaylortoys/HomeOfficeBefore#5419633375786570498

I’ve got a plan for what I want to do. The ultimate finish date is February 15th. Step one is to purchase the desks from Ikea by January 2nd and set them up. I also need to have all my files turned over for the new year by January 10th at the latest. (Most of my plans for the new set-up come from the Uncluttered Office of the Week.

Wish me luck!

Claycat

CHALLENGE: Lehcarjt's Home Office

This is quite a challenge, Lehcarjt! I definitely believe it is doable! We will cheer you on!

I don’t know what you are going to do about flooring, but my suggestion is to use something that is low VOC.

charmed2482

before you do to much it might be a good idea to get the floor taken care of first then you don’t have to move everything out to do the floor later.

MsDasha

I’m also curious as to your plans for the floor… are you tackling it now or leaving it for later?

springlj

I can’t wait to see the finished project! It’s great that you have ideas in mind and specific target dates set.

Are you going to keep the two bookcases, or do away with them? If you are planning on keeping them to incorporate into the new office, might I suggest painting them for a bit of a facelift? It’s always a suprise to see what a coat of paint or new drawer pulls can do to a piece of furniture. Also, with the new floor, I think that you will have additional inspiration for decorating the space.

Have fun and can’t wait to see your new space. Good luck!

stagepin

As to the flooring – if you get everything moved out you could get carpet tile and have it installed in probably a day. It’s easy to work with and places like Home Despot carry a fair selection. If it’s up your alley, you can create some nifty patterns. However, if you’re like my bookkeeper mother, a nifty pattern will drive you crazy 🙂

DIY’s how to on carpet tile: http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/how-to-install-carpet-tiles/index.html

loripax

That is a challenge! But it looks like you have some great bones to start with — beautiful color on the walls, a pair of nice bookcases, and gorgeous natural light.

I, too, have been working off a plastic folding table as a desk for far too long, and I agree that it’s probably a big part of why the space feels so “awful.” Once you get the big things done (desk, floor, etc.), you might consider changing up the rest of your storage pieces to get rid of the plastic. I’ve been slowly working on that myself, and it’s made a huge difference in how I feel about my space and how much I enjoy working in it.

Good luck — we’ll be cheering you on!

Julsave

I too can hardly wait each week for the new Office Space of the Week postings. I’m anxious to see how your project turns out. I’ve been on a 6 month search for the perfect desk for me and my odd little office space.

LauraCore

This looks really doable. I think a working office for anyone is essential! Good luck!

Lehcarjt

Thanks everyone for the support. We just got back from out of town (I posted the pictures literally on the way out the door). Our last stop was Ikea where I picked up the desks and a few other useful items. Yeah! It will probably take me a couple days to get everything together and get all of the stuff that just doesn’t belong in my office out.

On the flooring… The house has hardwood maple (the real stuff) and the addition will be in that. My husband is a bit of a craftsman. He buys the lumber raw (but cut into interlocking slats), installs it, and then finishes it himself. He does a gorgeous job, but it means he can’t just add the new part in. He has to refinish the entire thing (everything but the bedrooms is hardwood). It means moving all the furniture and people out for a week. I figure it will be next summer before we can work it out scheduling-wise.

Originally I meant to wait until the floor was done to do the office, but I just can’t. We’ve got to get the clutter under control, and hopefully my office design will be one of the easier things to move out when flooring time comes around.

Anyhoo… I’ll post picks of the new desks once I’ve got them in. I feel very responsible to you guys to get this project done!

Rachel

Claycat

The flooring sounds great. I love hardwood floors.

We are looking forward to seeing the photos!

Lehcarjt

The new desks are in! http://picasaweb.google.com/rtaylortoys/HomeOfficeInProgress#5422175540957851410

I may end up regretting the purchase though. They are stainless steel with an almost mirror finish. It’s is gorgeous, but I’ve got four kids (think fingerprints). Plus it isn’t the highest quality stainless steel and the plastic from my printer already scratched one. I’m going to have to cover most of it. Oh well. I paid $340.00 for both of them at Ikea, so at least I’m saving money.

Next step: Cord control and paper organization.

loripax

I love those desks! Even if they’re not absolutely perfect, they’re a big improvement. Maybe some felt pads under the printer and other things that might scratch?

Claycat

Those are lovely, Lehcarjt! That’s a good idea Lori has about the felt pads. You can buy small felt circles that are sticky on one side. You can put them on the bottom of anything that might scratch.

There are several different kinds shown here.

http://www.thefind.com/crafts/info-stick-felt

Kevin

Ooh… I hate that floor, haha

Lehcarjt

Progress… Of a sorts… I now have clutter all over my new desks, but it is clutter with purpose or perhaps clutter in transition.

I decided my giant laser printer is going to have to go under the desk as it just takes up too much room. My hubby is on his way to OSH to buy castors so we can make a rolling stand.

I haven’t had time to purchase the rolling drawers for much of the office supplies so they piled everywhere along with several inboxes.

For the moment (I should have asked hubby to get sticky felt too!) I’m using machine-quilting batting to protect the desktops, so everything has white square underneath it.

I did get the cables all tidy and in their pouches. I’ll post a photo as soon as the battery on the digital camera finishes charging. It took an hour to get the cords sorted, tied, and in place, and I’m rather proud of it all.

Thanks for all the comments and support everyone. You’re keeping me from getting too far behind. (Although I didn’t keep the cabinets – 20 minutes after I posted them on our local freecycle, a nice couple came and picked them up.)

Rachel

Lehcarjt

Here’s a photo of my Ikea cable holders.

http://picasaweb.google.com/rtaylortoys/HomeOfficeInProgress#5423294687913870930

One bag holds the power strip and the other holds the docking station for my laptop. If anyone has thoughts on how to make these tidier, I’d love suggestions. Right now I’m using rubber bands to keep the loops of cords under control. And of course I’m going to pull it apart when I move the printer anyway.

And here’s a photo of the huge printer on top of the desk (soon to be moved to below).

http://picasaweb.google.com/rtaylortoys/HomeOfficeInProgress#5423294817799268258

This photo really shows the gorgeous finish on the desk. I’ve got way too much clutter hiding it though (the towel is where the lap top currently sits), and the other half of the desk (not pictured) is 10 times as bad.

Another question for you all… How do you deal with the laptop cord? I move my laptop around the house. The cord has to move too as the battery doesn’t last long. Pulling the cord behind the deks two/three times a day isn’t appealing, but neither do I like having it hanging down the front of the desk and being a big mess. My only thought is to purchase a second cord, but that is more clutter. Anyone have any ideas?

Many, many thanks!

Claycat

I don’t have a suggestion for you on that cord, Lehcarjt. Maybe a second cord would be like scissors. It’s good to have more than one pair of scissors. I have several. I need them so often, I locate them at strategic places. Maybe you can do that with an extra cord. I don’t think it will clutter too much, since it is something you will use frequently.

That last photo looks good. I do love that finish! I’m getting an idea of how nice it is going to be when you complete your challenge.

How is your office coming?

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.