Home Forums Living Spaces Clothing Closets beautifully organised? or just too much STUFF?

This topic contains 36 replies, has 24 voices, and was last updated by  chacha1 6 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

djk

just came across this video–
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4RAqsg7Pzo&list=UU1YPvcxMTtdKz5ptonC3HZA&index=9&feature=plcp[/video]

thoughts?

ninakk

beautifully organised? or just too much STUFF?

I’m sorry but I can’t watch more. I got to her flipflops and thought I must be crazy to have only one pair. Can already feel where it’s heading and it suffocates me. The excess is too much for me.

ninakk

Ugh. I kept watching and lo and behold, ten pairs of boots. Phew.

clutterbug22

Phew, just too much. I stopped at the sea of boots. Albeit, a nicely organised sea of boots!

Plus, it always amazes me about the size of some of these clothes closets. My son’s bedroom is only about 2/3 the size of this lady’s wardrobe.

djk

my thoughts exactly. Does this not perfectly highlight the difference between organisation and decluttering?

I’ve always been organised…but now I am (mostly!) “uncluttered” and organised. And I must say the latter works better for me.

I mentioned in a different thread that we went on a “parade of homes” tour yesterday. The size of this closet is piffling compared to some we visited — barely adequate for a guest bedroom. And at the very least there would be a companion “his” closet on the other side of the master bath . . The one that was WAY over the top was a huge closet that had a beautiful spiral staircase AND an ELEVATOR going to the second-story closet — the only thing on the second floor. The downstairs closet was bigger than our bedroom, bathroom and walk-in closet combined.

TatiLie

Happy realisation: I have less clothes than her husband!
    (I don’t think I can go through, though. Motion sickness.)

rutheverhart

Closet or shrine to stuff? Interesting that you can feel her tension about it — and just because it’s organized now, it doesn’t mean she won’t have to invest a fair bit of energy keeping it that way. Stuff can be a real energy-suck.

Do you know that kids’ book, “What if Everybody Did?” I think like that. And I wonder what the earth would look like if everybody felt that a closet with this much stuff was somehow normal.

TatiLie

@rutheverhart I don’t know the book but that’s the kind of thought that guides me in most aspect of life.

Sky

The closet is very organized but seems extreme to me. I don’t think I’ve had that many clothes and shoes in my whole life. Too much to take care of for me.

RebeccaL

I also gave up at the flip flops, but she gave me inspiration for my closet re-do. She’d set up a place for everything, and planned one-in/one-out for future purchases. It’s excessive (I agree with rutheverhart that it’s a shrine to stuff), but a step in a better direction.

bandicoot

oy, far too much for me, regardless of how colour coordinated the hangers are!

rutheverhart

Anita, I’m chewing on what you said. I would never extrapolate “What if Everybody Did” to your decision not to bear children. Why not? I suppose because the planet is never going to run out of people, so it doesn’t feel like a real issue. Yet I might extend that thinking to the decision to have umpteen children, because I see those families as using up more than a fair share of resources. So is that inconsistent? Perhaps. Like I say, chewing on that.

My notion of “what if everybody did” is that I believe in radical equality of all human beings. For me this is a religious principle based on my understanding of Jesus’ teachings. We are equal. We are sisters and brothers. Despite what our society says, no person is of more value than any other person.

Of course, we are not equal in our material possessions. One person’s closet is bigger than another person’s bedroom (and yes, that is just the beginning) But I at least want to live with a certain lens on my “stuff.” How to measure what is enough?

Not meaning to sound preachy here. If you read my posts you know I struggle against my own inclination to be judgmental. But I also want to live with a high level of awareness, and there is a fine line between self-awareness and other-judgment.

Just some stuff I think about here, always in process.

Anita, I’m glad you live by your own lights. I guess that, to me, human agency ends when the exercise of my agency negatively affects the person next to me.

BTW. the kids’ book is not a religious book, it just plays with some ideas that I link to scripture in my own mind.

irishbell

Who’s to say she has too much? I suppose if I had enough places to “go” I’d love having such a selection to choose from!
    However, I think I’d be exhausted going to all those places….lol.
    I honestly could care less how much stuff people have.
    If she can afford it, is not hurting anyone, or taking $ or food out of someone’s pocket-why not?
    I really don’t give it more thought than that.
    Going by the clothing, I think they live in a warmer climate than I do!

ninakk

My reaction is purely out of my own perspective, imagining myself having that much stuff, and the repulsion of stagnant energy in the things, the thoughts of maintenance and keeping the system perfect gave me a visceral response. Since we are all about being better people these days, I should add “whatever floats her boat”. Personally I don’t need fifty dresses and cardigans, but hey, she apparently does.

Eta: I watched parts of another video and she really likes things in neat rows, properly corralled etc. I’m sort of a neat freak but nothing in comparison; quite an amazing discovery!

paisley

I do not have a closet even close to that size, although almost all of my friends do. The area I live in has some enormous homes. For me, it would be too much to heat/air condition/maintain/pay taxes on the space. I will say that she has something that I wish I had– and that is the peaceful, happy feeling that she gets when she opens the door. That is what I am trying to achieve in my house in all the rooms (and why I joined Unclutterer), although the scale will be completely different for me.

I think the question “What if everybody did?” is an excellent one, but not the only question. In my experience, when I limit myself to one touchstone it ends up being manipulated to mean whatever I want it to. There would also be implications if everyone had a minimalist wardrobe, not all of them good . . .

Mimi

i have watched some minutes and really- i wouldn´t like to have that stuff. looks like a nightmare to me, even organized.

my dream: about 10 outfits that i really love, made from best fabrics possibly from well knowns designers/ brands (jill sander? hugo woman? issey miyake?). and a shopping guide that helps me to find 2 or 3 new outfits every three month to replace 2 or 3 of 10.

clutterbug22

I would just say that that amount of clothes would be too much for me personally and certainly not a judgement of this woman and her desire to have an extensive collection of different things to wear. Just thinking of all the maintenance of it all, the washing, the ironing etc. But I could appreciate the sense of orderliness that she must now have when she opens her closet.

Perhaps, being English, where ‘walk-in closets’ are pretty rare, it’s the concept of having a whole room solely for clothes that I find a bit different!

ninakk

Anita, I’m sure some of you would feel the same short-of-breathedness that I described above, if you’d see a couple of collections of mine 🙂

Swede

Arrrghhh… For me personally – waaayyyyyy too much stuff.

Everything I own could fit in that closet. And that’s all my furnitre too!!

To each their own and no judgement, but for me; that is excessive. I love the fact that my stuff no longer need much organizing or matching bins or a 40 minute video to show how neat it looks after days of fixing. 🙂

Thanks for sharing the video, it made me see that I’m on the right path for me. 🙂

AleighJc

I cant stop watching her videos. I can’t believe all of these “haul”/shopping videos she has.

ninakk

Someone mentioned small notebook on another thread and I hadn’t heard of it, so followed the link. Imagine my reaction upon seeing the shoe/sweater/scarf section of Rachel’s after this thread – the size is like mine 😀

http://smallnotebook.org/2012/05/29/add-more-variety-to-your-wardrobe-not-just-more/

Eta:
    Off in a tangent. A reader of the blog article above had posted a veeery cool link to a youtube tutorial on scarves – 25 ways to wear them. I sat glued to the screen:

foilhead1

While I ‘choose’ to not have as much stuff as the woman in the video, I don’t just her or anyone for having what they have. I have watched many of her videos about organizing and she does declutter alot, but she chooses to have many of the items in her home or in her life. Many don’t choose, they just let it happen.

foilhead1

I have been looking on youtube and flickr for ideas for my office/scrapbook area. OMG! I could never work in all that stuff. Who really needs a thousand pieces of paper!! and the storage…I wonder if they ever make anything.

Charity

Wow. It’s beautiful, and each to their own, but I just don’t care very much about clothes. Here in the UK the only person I know with a walk-in closet like that is my MIL (who has that much stuff). Properties are not normally built with walk-ins, even brand new houses, and its actually not that common to have any built-in closets at all.

djk

I also find it beautiful, and at one time I would have aspired to that (although I never had nearly as much stuff) but my wants and perception of my needs have changed and now I find it to be too much. It screams mindless consumption to me.

However, to each his own.

and…I feel compelled to add…not liking something, not wanting it for oneself, and stating as much…is not necessarily a judgment of the person who has it and likes it.

Sepha

38 min of closet!
    Yeah, that’s probably excessive.

marie132
    Participant

That’s a lot more stuff than I can handle! For example, I have ‘only’ 2 pairs of flip flops: one for everyday, and one that is a bit too big for me but so soft & fuzzy, I can’t throw it away, so I use it at home instead of slippers.

Rosa

klutzgrrl, that is NOT normal. A large closet is pretty normal – standard for new construction is about 30 inches (75 cm) deep, and anywhere from a yard (1m) on up for width – I see lot of bedrooms with a wide closet that takes up the entire short wall of a rectangular bedroom. And then in newer houses there’s usually one walk-in closet, the size of a bathroom – my in-laws house, built in the mid-90s in middle-class subdivision, has a master bedroom with a 6×8 bathroom and 6×8 closet attached, but the other bedrooms all have smaller closets.

And most of our housing stock isn’t that new – my house is a little extreme, it’s so old the closets are only 26 inches deep and they are all (well, both, we only have 2 original closets) less than a yard wide, and I’ve been in lots of middle-class houses built before 1930 that have similar sized closets. A 1950s-1970s built house will usually have closets like I listed first.

xarcady

For reference, my bedroom closet, in a house built in 1900, is 16 inches deep, just barely deep enough to hold a hanger, and 42 inches wide. And I’ll freely admit that I’d like it just a little bit deeper and wider.

The closet in that video is not the norm.

There is a trend in some areas towards a huge closet that is really a dressing room, with all the clothing contained in the closet on rods, or shelves or in drawers. Then the bedroom has no storage furniture at all. But that’s only in newer houses, and I think at higher price points.

chacha1

I like the dressing room idea, as I’d prefer my future bedroom to have NO storage furniture in it (including closets), but that preference is not strong enough to make me buy or build a house with extra space just to have a dressing room. My closet is one of those that stretches across a whole wall of the bedroom. It works fine. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.