Home Forums Living Spaces Bathrooms Bathroom items

This topic contains 10 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  snosie 8 years ago.

• Author

snosie

I’m posting here so I can find out what’s appropriate to ‘give away’ rather than ‘use up’ seeing using these items seems unlikely. I don’t like the unnecessarily waste!

I have a substantial number of sanitary products (tampons) that are loose (not in their origial box), but not tatty. I have one or two boxes worths. They aren’t something I’m likely to use. Can I freecycle them? What else could I do with them?

I also have hand/body creams. I seldom use these, and certainly not the number I have – there’s just no way! But if it’s not a full bottle what are my options?

STLMom

Bathroom items

You could ask a women’s shelter if they would take the tampons. Or put them in a plastic bag and drop them in a ladies’ room at a local college. Back when I was a poor college student, I would have loved to find a surprise like that!

Bathroom items

The advantage to freecycle is that if nobody wants them, no one responds. End of story. If someone wants them, they are gone.

Quite frankly, I’d feel uncomfortable using these products in opened boxes and containers from a stranger but would not have an issue receiving them from a friend.

Astreja
    Participant

Bathroom items

Snosie, I’d just ditch the open bottles of hand cream, particularly if they’re more than a couple of years old. Makeup and such does get old, and we regularly chuck open bottles of personal care stuff if it’s been there too long.

I did google “other uses for hand creams” and got some interesting alternate uses, including… shoe polish? De-static the cat? It might be interesting to try lotion as a leather conditioner on a small area of a boot or shoe, but I’m not prepared to risk my cats’ health… Or their wrath.

s

Bathroom items

I’ve brought open hand cream to the office ladies’ room. Good for sharing after washing hands.
    I agree about the tampons…I think I’d be a little leery of taking them from a stranger, or just left in the bathroom, but I’d appreciate them from a friend. Maybe if you put them in a nice basket in the office bathroom, it would look like they were purchased for the public and that might be ok.

pkilmain

Bathroom items

When I was a kid we used to use hand lotion – and vaseline, er, petroleum jelly – to polish our patent leather shoes!

I bused to take my partial bottles to work all the time, and it was much appreciated. In addition to using things up, we also had a place for give-sways, stuff you did’t like or want that someone else might.

As for tampons, those at wwork were kept in a basket in a cupboard. Since the staff had to share the public bathroom (in a library) we did’t leave anything there, but took turns buying a box and had them available for everyone (no men on our staff!)

Parsifal

Bathroom items

I hadn’t thought of leaving hand lotion in the office restroom, but that’s a good one. I’m a big fan of just leaving things in appropriate places with a sign labeled ‘free’.

snosie

Bathroom items

Hey everyone – I work in a company of 80% men – but at the moment I work with many women. I never thought hand lotion was used after hand washing – I’m OBVIOUSLY in another world here! But I might also try Freecycle and be honest.

Can’t find an address for a women’s shelter, but I will call their number and ask if they would like the tampons. I know what they don’t offer addresses, but it’s annoying, cause I’d like to ‘chose’ one that’s on my normal routes.

I don’t have a cat (I don’t like them), but I would consider trying the lotion!! Hahaha…

And shoes – well spray and wipe ALSO works a charm I found out at boarding school! But I just experience snow and ice, and salt, so I appreciate that recommendation for my boots – if only this pair wasn’t suede!

snosie

Bathroom items

Sadly, the women’s refuge can’t/won’t take the tampons – ‘occupational health and safety’ – how laws have taken over!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.