Home Forums Challenges A Thing A Day (ATAD) ATAD June

This topic contains 16 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  ottawa 5 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

I’m back after a long absence and really need the accountability offered by ATAD, so I’m starting one for June. I spent the first few days of the month dealing with all the mail, paper & digital, that piled up during our 25-day vacation. Today I tossed an old bra that was in really bad shape.

ottawa

OUT: 4 novels to the condo’s library. 6 non-fiction to the “book donations” pile in my locker. It’s getting quite big now but I have to wait until the Friends of the Farm start collecting in October. TOTAL for JUNE: 10

Into the donation bag – a decorative china bell I never liked and a mug with my name on it (in a horrible mustard yellow and red design) given to me when I left a job thirteen years ago. I’ve never liked it and kept it from sentiment. I’d been using it to keep pens and pencils in but found a lovely china beaker that looks much better and holds more things – so out it went!

ottawa

OUT: to garbage, a ribbon I was holding on to for a project I’ve now abandoned. To Salvation Army bag, a magazine box, a coaster set and a glasses case.

IN: a perfectly good bamboo end table I found next to some garbage cans (to hold my fan) and two “in baskets” (to organize things on my computer desk).

Total for June: 11.

daylily
    Participant

Out: 2 shorts, 2 capris, 1 “perfectly good” button down shirt that makes me feel dowdy. Cat food bowls, mats, toys. etc. (rip Kipper – you were a great kitty) – to a friend with a new kitten. 5 paper backs, old fry pan and 2 gigantic bowls (used once.)

We’re cleaning out my daughter’s old toy closet and took a couple of car loads of toys to Goodwill on Sunday. She’s determined not to become like her father who is a bit of a pack rat.

Had a sudden burst of energy so: three bags for donation – clothes, books, ornaments, etc. Also kitchen clock I don’t love, replaced by a picture I do love.

OnARoll

Finally able to get back in the system today, what a ridiculous pain. No wonder so few old posters have made it back in. Hint to those still lurking: try your old username, they’ll mail you a new password. Of course they will insert a zero that looks like a capital O in a long string of letters, so you can play games with your new password for a while. I know there are lots of reasons the forum was transformed, but oh dear, what a loss. Hope it’s completely spamproof now, and hope loyal users will continue to trickle back in.

It’s early yet, don’t have my Thing for Today. But I will report I had a guy haul off two loads of debris from the yard this week. Wonderful to lose that burden that had been hanging over my head, and some of it got recycled at the metal yard, so it’s all good. Hope everyone makes a little dent this Saturday!

ottawa

I’m glad someone has figured things out, about O=0. I couldn’t get the hang of it so I reregistered and had problems with that too. Sigh. But I got the hang of things now.

IN: a magazine and two paperback books.

OUT: The magazines and books to the condo’s library.

So I’m still at 11 for June. Still a week to go, though.

OnARoll

Hi Ottawa, hope you can stay ahead of the books and magazines, it seems they do come in as fast as we can clear them out!

Today I decluttered a huge drum of vegetation from under some yucca plants. Hot nasty work, but it’s done and the drum is set by the curb for Monday’s trash pickup.

As for the house, I’m paralyzed, what to tackle next?

Shazamela

Joining ATAD for the rest of June and the first half July. Just finished going through kids’ school papers and sent most of it to the recycling box.

ottawa

Threw out a pair of shorts that I spilled Varethane on about 20 years ago (can’t think why I kept them) and a pile of polyester-feeling fabric that was mixed in with my quilting cotton. That makes 13 items for June.

ottawa

On-a-roll: Just start anywhere. Clean out a cupboard or go through you cutlery drawer. FYI, I cleaned out quite a few bits from my cutlery drawer (a total of about 170 or so items from my kitchen). The whole kitchen thing just took a couple of hours – I just put every thing on my dining room floor, and then put back only the things I need. The rest went to charity or the garbage.

elawoman

I’ve been on roll lately and got rid of so much stuff you wouldn’t believe – 2 truck-loads of stuff to the women’s shelter. Can’t tell you what was in either load and don’t miss any of it!

Last night I sorted through clothes I’ve been holding on to mend – decided on keeping just 1/6, so the rest is out. Also sorted through ‘hair junk’ and so-called treasures and am giving away about 10 items I no longer want in my space and tossed out a recycled market bag of ‘trash’. I feel strong when I can let go, so YAY ME (US)!

ottawa

Good for you, Elawoman! The more you do, the easier it gets.

elawoman

Thanks, Ottawa – I’m on it these days and determinted not to fizzle out. Or at least, when I do get pooped out, I can get right back in there after recovering some.

I sorted through some winter gear last night: gloves, scarves and hats. Out with the old/outgrown/unloved and the rest in a vacuum bag and placed high to store until needed. Very satisfied with my recent focus :^)

ottawa

It’s the end of the month. I bought a light-weight jacket so my net IN/OUT for June is 10 OUT. Not great but still on the positive side. Looking towards July, I can only think of one thing I will be buying (it’s already ordered) so I’ll have to find at least one thing to get rid of, but I will try to identify more.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.