Home Forums Challenges A Thing A Day (ATAD) ATAD February

This topic contains 0 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  daylily 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

daylily
    Participant

Well, the groundhog saw his shadow…. 6 more weeks of winter… Including another snow storm Monday followed by possible flooding rains on Wednesday. I have to say that I would be happy to declutter winter ASAP!

One in and one out: computer chair started dropping screws this week and the seat has just about fallen off the legs…screws appear to be completely stripped, so off to the office supply shop and in with another chair. It is the most used seat in the house.

Recent focus has been on decluttering at work – it took a month, but out with a full banker box of unneeded papers, That makes 2 boxes last year and 1 this. Slow but steady….the shredding happens a few pages at a time.

daylily
    Participant

Out – 1/3 of a large box of miscellaneous nuts, bolts, hinges, screws, curtain hardware, etc. previously kept “just in case.” Will donate to the rehome center. Now down to most “likely to use” category, including a set of lovely old brass drawer knobs, several glass drawer knobs, and a cool looking set of 4 inch wheels…. Maybe I will be able to move these along or remember I have them to use for a project.
    Also staying misc. size screws, wall fasteners, washers, etc. (still hanging onto my fantasy self as a handy do-it-yourselfer.) I have formerly done more with these things, just not enough energy these days. I like to think of them as hopeful clutter. (I am unlikely to ever make it to minimalist!)

daylily
    Participant

Out almost… phone fell off wall, bought a replacement which did not fit on the wall, so am returning that phone and velcroing old phone to wall with industrial Velcro. We will see how this works….

ottawa

I finally found something to dispose of. I will be giving 2 quilt tops and 9 lengths of fabric which don’t match any of the others I have to my friend for her Victoria’s Quilts group. I’m finally getting down to the end of my large lengths of fabric, then I’ll just have to deal with the fiddly leftover bits.

I did manage to ruin one of my stove elements and I discovered the replacement I bought didn’t fit, so I’ll be throwing that out as well and looking for another replacement.

ArJa

Achieved February’s goal (and more) toward the 365 ATAD for the year! Out: 31 books and 10 dvds/series boxes . . . In: 34.17 USD in online trade-in credit and sales to the used media store (not nearly as much as it would have been a few years ago, but still a tidy sum toward the gift/Christmas fund). The used media store also said they will donate the books they do not want to buy so it saves a trip to the library or charity shop to donate them.

daylily
    Participant

Good to hear your progress Ottowa and ArJa!! Two small bags of paperbacks to Goodwill today – about 25 books and 2 ladies blouses off to new homes. Also opened the windows for the first time in 3 months to air things out. Snow steadily melting and sun shining. It is a beautiful day in the neighborhood. (Opened windows and doors b/c vacuuming up all the dust – yeah I decluttered a lot of dust.)

daylily
    Participant

Unfortunately Velcro is not working with the phone. Not enough flat surface touching the wall and top piece keeps peeling off. So phone is back on kitchen counter and in the way while I cobble together another idea. Ottowa – I feel your pain with the stove element…. irritating, but not worth replacing the whole thing. Good luck finding your piece. ArJa – I commend your industry in reselling your media.

ottawa

I discovered that Home Depot has the right replacement stove element so I trekked down there (two busses plus 7 minute walk both ways) and then discovered only the spade-type element on display. I found a nice young salesperson (male, cute) who found a big ladder and brought some of the hook-type ones down. My hero!

I recall reading about a book called the $50,000 Stove handle a few years ago. The handle fell off the guy’s oven but he couldn’t get it back on and couldn’t find a replacement. So he and wife decided to buy a new range, but their space for the new stove was too small so they remodeled the kitchen and then wife said since we’re having the plumber in why not redo the bathroom too? It cost them $50,000. I would have just jerry-rigged something up and left it like that. But then I don’t have a wife.

daylily
    Participant

@ottawa -50K stove handle, ha. that is my fear in my kitchen…. So we knock along as is, which is within our budget. I did replace the sink faucet when is started leaking consistently. Other than that, things get scrubbed clean and we do just fine. Our range is gas and the electronic ignition is hinky so we use a long handled fire starter rather than shelling out $300 to replace the part or $ 500+ for a replacement range. I laugh when I see TV shows of new home buyers and all the stuff they “require.”

thomasn
    Participant

Removing clutter is the best way to make room for latest furniture items in the house. Good luck daylily 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.