Home Forums Challenges A Thing A Day (ATAD) ATAD December 2013

This topic contains 10 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  ottawa 5 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

ottawa

This time last year, the followers of this Forum started to do the Eight-Step Home Cure from Apartment Therapy by Maxwell Gillingham-Ryan. It was an eight-week plan to unclutter your home and your life. It was great fun and I managed to remove 143 unnecessary items from my kitchen! One of the first projects was to make a Project List. Mine had 27 items on it. I managed to do about seven that December (but I added seven more) and that’s they way things have gone. I last added to the list in September. There are currently 12 items on my list, eight of them still there since last December. I will be doing 2 of the items shortly, as soon as I get my sewing machine back from the Sewing machine hospital. Another I promise to do in December (and maybe another). Two items are on-going ones. Then I will be left with the really hard ones.

daylily
    Participant

Good to see you Ottawa! Not sure I am up for an 8 step cure right now as I have 10 evals to do, write up and present in the next 15 work days and 40 trimester reports to write up by Wednesday. Still the thought is a great one. Maybe better for me to start in January tho. Tonight I am happy to say I have done the weekly shopping, cleaned the dishes and counters and sorted the laundry. Behind the sofa are 2 more paper bags of miscellaneous clothing that does not fit or flatter and one of books I am done reading. I may be able to arrange to drop off by next weekend. A couple of appointments after work and the reports will keep me busy til then. Good luck with your 8 weeks, in whatever form they take.

In: a super soft and silky sofa throw just right for cuddling up with as the weather gets colder. Out: miscellaneous things found in the fridge. Nothing dangerous, just no longer appealing. (Mainly condiments that we were “trying”.)

daylily
    Participant

Good to see you Ottawa! Not sure I am up for an 8 step cure right now as I have 10 evals to do, write up and present in the next 15 work days and 40 trimester reports to write up by Wednesday. Still the thought is a great one. Maybe better for me to start in January tho. Tonight I am happy to say I have done the weekly shopping, cleaned the dishes and counters and sorted the laundry. Behind the sofa are 2 more paper bags of miscellaneous clothing that does not fit or flatter and one of books I am done reading. I may be able to arrange to drop off by next weekend. A couple of appointments after work and the reports will keep me busy til then. Good luck with your 8 weeks, in whatever form they take.

In: a super soft and silky sofa throw just right for cuddling up with as the weather gets colder. Out: miscellaneous things found in the fridge. Nothing dangerous, just no longer appealing. (Mainly condiments that we were “trying”.)

ottawa

Project List #8, from February – DONE!!!!! I took the quilt top that had been hanging around for ages, quilted it, put a hanging pocket on it and hung it from the back of a bookcase/divider. Great to see that item crossed off my list. Now I can continue working on #12 (August) and look into #11 (May). I’m on a roll!

ottawa

Project List #9, from February – DONE. It was to buy 2-4 new shirts. I bought one today and found one I had put away unworn, which I resurrected. I then threw away two shirts I had that were ill-fitting and torn. Plus, I also darned a sock.

daylily
    Participant

Good job Ottawa! I have completed all but 8 progress notes on time (8 final are on a different timeline) and 7/10 evaluations and reports. Evals completed for other 3 and reports pending. Whew, I actually feel lighter.

ottawa

Funny how getting things done makes one feel better, freer.

ottawa

Project List #12 from August – DONE. About 15 years ago, I made a quilt which I hung at my bedroom window as a curtain a few months ago. Unfortunately, it wasn’t wide enough, so I pieced it out with two smaller quilts. I have just finished a strip quilt, 30″x85″, colour-co-ordinated, and replaced the smaller quilts with it. Looks odd but great at the same time. Next up, #11, from July – I have the equipment now, I just need to install it and make it work.

ottawa

Project List #13 from December- Done. My part-time employer, a non-profit IPO, just started fixing computers on the cheap for members so I took mine in and the cleaned it up and added some memory. So far, it works great!

ottawa

Project List #11 from May – DONE. I finally solved my TV recording problem. I bought an external hard drive, connected it and tried it out. It works!

ottawa

OUT: a DVD-player/recorder from the Salvation Army that I hadn’t used and a secondhand camera I bought on vacation, also unused. I had intended taking them both to the Salvation Army but a women at the bus stop commented on the DVD player and I offered it to her. She took ithe bag for her mother, saving me a trip into the Sally Ann.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.