Home Forums Challenges A Thing A Day (ATAD) ATAD August

This topic contains 10 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Lyerin1 4 years, 7 months ago.

• Author

daylily
    Participant

managed to keep anniversary gift to a reciprocal dinner out….. Yeah 2 dinners out for our 15th anniversary and nothing into the house! A miracle. I think I may finally be rubbing off on my DH… Get it out or keep it out. (Both good)

ottawa

Good for you! We don’t need tokens to prove our love or to remember things. We just “know”.

daylily
    Participant

Oops, just bought this cool Windsor chair at the thrift. It is in great shape and at a great price. But really, I did not need another chair… I have a bunch up in the attic that I have not been able to get myself to part with, along with a couple of tables and wooden twin beds)….. (Sentimental/Aspirational clutter for the lovely beach cottage that I hope to move to some day….Yikes, not moving any time soon, as have just gotten into a reasonably secure job.) Hm, sounds like those are things I need to consider again…. especially the twin beds…Attics are dangerous. ( on a positive note – I do have two shopping bags of this and that for Goodwill.)

ottawa

I know how it feels, daylily. Monday, there was a garage sale at the movers across from where I work. I bought a revolving stand for DVDs for $20. It weighed a ton, but I managed to get it on the bus. Unfortunately, I couldn’t see getting it any farther than the grocery store where I was supposed to change buses, so I took a taxi from there. Another $10 but it does serve the purpose (my old storage space was filled up). I put my clock on top of it and set it in the corner. Looks good. Then I went back to the grocery store and, on the way home, I stopped at the Salvation Army Thrift Store. I bought a short rolling stand ($8.99 with seniors discount) to hold my suitcase on top, with room on the shelves below for the travel stuff I wear or put in my knapsack. yesterday, I went to the dollar store and bought two baskets ($3) to put on the shelf. And last week I bought some curtain rods and some sheets to act as curtains (I’ve only been here for five years or so). BUT, I did need this stuff, it serves a useful purpose, it’s PEEP and it looks good.

daylily
    Participant

Ottawa, glad to hear that you are feathering your nest in positive and useful ways. It is not clutter if you love it, use it and need it.

Hi there, I’m new to this discussion ;-), and keen to minimalise my household. I did some decluttering and most important things I got rid of, were storage solutions! Pretty boxes mainly, a cabinet is my next challenge. I’m not keeping them because although they are empty now (good!), they invite me to use them for something else later. Is there a ATAD September thread already?

Lyerin1
    Participant

I can finally post something here! I got off the “decluttering” train a few years ago after doing really well for a while and getting rid of lots of stuff. I haven’t been doing it in ages though.

We had a tag sale to raise money for my daughter’s cheer team on August 9. I took: two bins of toys my kids had outgrown; 4 diaper bags (kids are 5 and 10, we don’t need diaper bags!); 5 bins of clothes my kids had outgrown (left in the attic, baby – 4T sizes); a table full of my daughter’s outgrown clothes from this past year; a clock radio; 8 baby blankets; a decorative Pooh pillow; jogging stroller; regular stroller; little kid bike; and miscellaneous shoes.

I brought home . . . . . . only empty plastic bins!!! We sold a ton of stuff at the sale and then drove straight to the Salvation Army and unloaded EVERYTHING that didn’t sell. We put the bins back up into the attic and are going to start trying to get rid of the rest of the stuff up there too. It felt so good to get rid of that stuff! My son’s closet was previously completely stuffed full of stuff – now, there is a rolling cart with extra sheets and blankets and one bin full of toys. You can walk in there and walk around! My daughter’s closet and drawers all fully close and are organized. It was a lot of work, but totally worth it.

I only brought ONE thing into the house during that whole weekend. I bought (for $11) a three drawer plastic bin that all of my son’s dinosaur/animal toys fit into. It fits perfectly in a corner near his toybox and now all of his small toys are organized, he can see what is in the drawers and he can get them out and put them away all by himself. It really helps to make that corner feel and look more organized.

Lyerin1
    Participant

I started decluttering in our home office, and I’ve now added to my pile of “got rid of it”. I rid our home of two full trash bags full of trash – everything from saved documents that I thought were important to miscellaneous junk that collected in the home office space. I also got rid of an old throw pillow that I thought just needed a small repair and turned out to need much more (the interior of the pillow was a mess). I also organized our “important” papers, which now fit into my one file box designated for such a purpose, and I put all of the certificates, etc., that our daughter wants to save in her bin in the attic. The room was improved greatly with just a couple of hours of work. It’s not done, but it’s a whole lot more livable.

Lyerin1
    Participant

My husband was out of town last week Wed-Sat. I really wanted him to come home to a nice, clean house. Friday night I cleaned both bathrooms really well. I also cleaned the kitchen and did some laundry (bathroom rugs/towels, shower curtains, kitchen rugs, one load of clothes).

Saturday, I dusted and vacuumed in our living room and dining room (and obviously we picked up at least daily so that everything was put away). I also nabbed a lawn guy who happened to be on our street and got him to mow our lawn (our mower is broken and DH didn’t have time to deal with it before he left). I cleaned the refrigerator out completely too, including washing out the interior.

Sunday, my husband decided to do some work of his own in our home office. He went through all of his papers and put stuff he needs to keep but doesn’t need “now” into a plastic bin and up in the attic. I got him a small file box for his papers for teaching that he needs to keep downstairs – now they are all neatly stored in files in the box. I went through our bookshelves and pulled a huge plastic bin of books that we don’t need/want anymore. Now, all of our books fit on the bookshelves, with nothing piled on the top of the books. DH vacuumed in the room when he was done, and I dusted. The only thing left to do in that room now is to vacuum one final time. It’s clean and usable!

I also went through all of our cookbooks, which we keep in a cabinet in the kitchen. I purged a lot of cookbooks that we don’t use/don’t like/don’t need. Now all of our cookbooks are ones we really want, and they fit neatly into the cabinet with room to spare. I purged a bunch of phone books too, dating all the way back to 2008-2009. I only kept the most current ONE and got rid of all the others (well, put them in the recycling that gets picked up tomorrow). I also tossed any/all manuals for appliances that we no longer own.

I washed all of our sheets and put clean sheets on everyone’s beds. I also washed all of my husband’s clothes from when he was out of town and did a load of catch-all laundry at the end of the day Sunday so that we started the week with everything clean.

It was a successful weekend!

Lyerin1
    Participant

I think that in total, I took out three black trashbags full of trash, probably 40 pounds of books and one huge body pillow left over from my last pregnancy (more than 5 years ago). All of that “stuff” is now gone from my house!

Lyerin1
    Participant

I managed to get the huge stack of books to the library on Monday and put them in the library’s donation box. Yesterday, the trash collector came, and I also got rid of our old baby gate (the mesh was torn and stained, so not really something anyone else would want). I got all of the recycling out (including all of the jars from the refrigerator clean out that I did), and even went through the small stack of magazines that we had and got rid of all but 3 of them.

I’ve also been doing what I think of as “sneaky” cleaning of our bedroom. It’s not sneaky like getting rid of my DH’s stuff, but it’s sneaky in the sense that I’m not sitting down and doing it as a big project but rather I’m doing it a bit at a time. Yesterday, I tossed an old perfume box that was sitting on the bottom of my night stand, and I put away a paper for DD that she wanted to keep. The clutter hotspot that is the bench at the end of our bed is almost completely clear now because I’ve been doing this bit by bit declutter. 🙂

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.