Home Forums Uncluttering and Organizing in the Media Hoarders on AE Adrian Monk and his house…

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • Author
      DirtyBoy

Has anyone seen this show?

The character in the show has trouble living life because of his condition but there is one thing that I admire about him when I watch the show and that is his house. His house is so clean and uncluttered. I want my house like his house.

TatiLie

Adrian Monk and his house…

I love Monk!
      Another good uncluttered inspiration is from The Big C. The character Lee Fallon is a minimalist and I love his apartment (although looked cold) in a very minimalist style. A bit of an extreme but nevertheless inspiring.

djk

I also love Monk and his house

mountainwave

I watched Monk on Netflix.
      I already loved the whole Craftsman/Arts and Crafts look, but I’d never seen it so spare.

Always wondered what was in the Kassett boxes on the floating shelves.

Yes, I could live like that to a point. I’d need a variation in clothing.
      And a roomba.

I’m really trying for a warm, comfortable, colorful way of getting to minimalism. I love the simplicity of cleaning with everything put away, and I like everything being organized, and I love coming home to a tidy house… but I’ve been looking on houzz for inspiration regarding style and the current deal for modern/minimal style with gray walls and hard lines just doesn’t seem like a relaxing or creative space.

What I’ve seen of Monk’s apartment seemed to be pretty nice. I can’t find any still shots of it online. There’s a very minimal apartment shown in a movie I saw recently, but it underlined the character’s emotional turmoil and the control he desperately needed.

Ella

I’ve only watched the show a couple of times, but just picked up the DVD first season from the library so I can look at the house more closely and get some ideas.

luxcat

@LKH

Minimal to me is more a state of “not a lot of stuff crowded on walls or any surfaces” rather than a particular color scheme or furniture type.

I would say my house is fairly minimal yet I have pictures on the walls, books on the shelves, dark wood furniture, and things like red brocade accent pillows.

My current home would qualify as minimal in photographs I think, but only because it’s larger than we need so everything is spread out and there’s plenty of storage. I think when I move to an apartment the same amount of possessions will be cluttery.

Ella

I’ve been watching “Monk” from the first season DVD, one episode for the past three nights. Love it, forgot it was set in San Francisco!

But OMG I am Monk! I don’t pour boiling water on my toothbrush but I do pour hydrogen peroxide. I have 4 separate toothbrushes for the 4 times per day that I brush, each brush is color-coded. I floss twice a day and carry floss in my purse.
      I “front” all my books and CDs to the shelf edges. If one is 1/4 inch out of line, I have to fix it immediately. I won’t get in an elevator with somebody who’s coughing. I push the buttons with my elbow. I used to straighten the pictures in my therapist’s office. I mean really, who wants to sit looking at a crooked picture for an hour? I don’t see that therapist anymore though, which is a good thing because he was constantly growing a mustache, then shaving it, growing a goatee, then shaving it, growing a full beard… something different every week and very distracting!

luxcat

Ella you crack me up!

but… ahem… I also push elevator buttons, cross walk buttons, and if possible bathroom doors with elbow or forearm ๐Ÿ™‚

It’s possible that everyone here can identify with Monk ๐Ÿ™‚

Once in elementary school my special needs daughter was starting one of many assessments. I was sat next to her. There were pencils scattered across the middle of the test table. DD reached out and straightened them, but I had been looking at them too and was glad when she got them in a row. The tester said “oh, does she line things up as part of her disorder?” I was like “No… we’re just a neat and tidy sort of family.”

bandicoot

monk’s place is…weird.
      like a bad ikea catalogue.
      i really like his dining chairs though…..they’d fit right in here. i have a thing for slatted teak furniture ๐Ÿ™‚
      what is up with the repeating decorative items on shelves?

i get a bit worried when people are sneezing with open mouths around me, but apart from that i am not overly germ-conscious.
      i press elevator buttons with my fingers and i have great faith in the powers of soap and water.
      i had an hilarious conversation in bali several years ago, with a canadian and an american. they were aghast that i didn’t travel with antibacterial wipes, particularly on an aircraft, and they took particular pains to describe the types and numbers and sources of all the bacteria i might encounter on the average aircraft tray table.
      i figure if it doesn’t kill me, it is challenging my immune system; and that is all good.

on the other hand, i love reading jolie kerr’s cleaning advice column on the hairpin, often titled things like, “get rid of your cats, seriously, they are disgusting” and “get rid of your flatmates, seriously, they are disgusting”…. she talks about cleaning and germs, but it is so much much more.

JuliaJayne

Bandicoot, the repeating of decorative items is symmetry, orderliness, balance, or however one sees it. It might appear boring, but it’s restful on the eyes, IMO. The older I get the more I appreciate symmetry, and I’m already a bit Monkish on order. Not in an obsessive-Monk way, but I like it.

For those who like computer games, here is a simple, silly game called Monk Shuiborhood. Help Monk straighten up the neighborhood. I played it for about 20 minutes and then felt compelled to neaten up a few things around the house. (lol)

http://www.usanetwork.com/series/monk/interactivegames/monkshuiborhood/

ninakk

Yeah, I’m with bandicoot on the bacterial stuff. The antibacterial carp is what leads to resistency issues and there will come a day when almost none of our antibiotics work anymore with increasing numbers of multiresistent bacteria. No need to bring that day closer.

I haven’t heard of Adrian Monk and google image search didn’t bring up much, but I got the idea. I think cleaning can go overboard, but if there are voluntarily even more objects to clean than is necessary, I die a little every second spent cleaning. So currently I’m in midimalist gear.

luxcat

airplanes are one of the few places I actually use antibacterial wipes. I’ll spare you the details of some of the things I have seen on flights that led to making that decision!

I don’t use wipes or that gel stuff otherwise, I agree that soap and water does the trick best.

There was a good New Yorker article a few weeks ago about bacteria and how they might actually be helpful to our survival. The full article is not online, but here’s a summary: http://ksj.mit.edu/tracker/2012/10/new-yorker-do-bacteria-keep-us-alive

bandicoot

JJ, something about the type of symmetry at monk’s place makes me uneasy.
      i went back and studied the photos to figure out why, exactly.
      and after a minute or two, it clicked…..he uses EVEN numbers of everything.
      whereas for visual harmony, i require ODD numbers of things!
      those repeating sets of four and six are setting my teeth on edge. lol!

pkilmain

Thanks for the link Susan. DH and I were discussing something similar last night. A close friend of his suffers with Crohn’s disease which is an autoimmune disease. There are currently clinical trials going on that work on the premise that if you give your intestines something “real” to deal with, the self-attack will lessen, if not stop. According to the friend, the protocol is to have the patients eat living intestinal pests that are normally found in other mammals and cannot finish their life cycles in humans. The human intestine tries to rid itself of these pests, however, and this lessens the attack on its own selves. Interesting theory.

Also when DH was in treatment for his cancer, we had to take classes on nutrition and home care. The instructors there stressed the use of soap and water, and warned against overuse of anti-bacterial products, especially for body care. I have no problem handling things that others have touched as a function of daily life (bathroom doors, elevator buttons). I wouldn’t drink from a glass, or handle a lot of things being used by someone I knew was sick with something contagious. The gal I was on the ship with would wash her hands before we went to dinner, and then use the hand sanitizer outside the dining hall, even though she had touched nothing in between. A little overkill me thinks.

Ella

There’s a creepy young guy in my building who continually picks his nose.
      I only needed to see him doing that once as he got in the elevator… the thought of his snot transferred to the buttons… hence my elbow evermore.

pkilmain

Oh, that would do it for me, too!

djk

I’m an ocean away, don’t even have an elevator, and I still think I have to go wash my hands now, Ella:)

Ella

Yeah, I figured you’d see it my way.

bandicoot and ninakk: Can’t you get Monk in your part of the world? You don’t know what fun you’re missing. The show is hilarious and brilliantly written, and Adrian Monk is endearing. The character’s phobias intensified after the murder of his wife seven years earlier, and it’s the one messy mystery he hasn’t been able to solve. Hence his obsessive need to bring order to whatever parts of his life he can control.

Irulan

Where’s the Ambrose love? Nobody wants his house with stacks of crap?

I used to use antibacterial stuff all the time, but it dries my skin terribly and I got yelled at because of the superbug thing. Now I only use it if I touch raw meat at the supermarket or if I sneeze right into my hands when I’m at a location with no bathrooms nearby, like the Metro.

bandicoot

elbows, or latex gloves.
      like djk i am feeling unclean, and shuddering a little.

behejo

Where did all of you go….I didn’t have the time to take part in the forum for a while. Then the change of the site happened – and now: everybody seems gone. I miss the ATAD family.

ottawa

They all got frustrated with the change-over to the new system. I have no idea where they went to. I miss them. I particularly was frustrated by having to register, and not being able to decipher the letters I had to type in, and then being told that I was using the wrong password?? I re-registered again and finally got on. I think there’s just me and daylily posting regularly. I posted on losing weight once a week. Daylliy posts periodically on ATAD. I would post on ATAD too but I did my decluttering in Oct-Dec so I have very little now.

Viewing 25 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.