Home Forums Work Your Office A Simple Change

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  JuliaJayne 8 years, 2 months ago.

• Author

Irulan

Why didn’t I think of this before?

When my husband and I moved cross-country to our new (smaller) apartment last autumn, we had to rearrange our space to account for the lack of a designated office. Though I work from home, I tend to use the dining table for actual work and keep my papers and materials in a portable file box. My husband likes to play computer games, so he wanted a desk.

The new apartment came with a bonus space next to the living/dining room, sort of an enclosed balcony. Originally we made that the dining room, though we put our bookcases in there as well as it was the only place that could hold them. Then my husband bought an enormous desk (larger than our dining table) and set it up in the living room. It was a disaster. I keep our current household papers in the file drawer built into the desk, and every time I needed something while he was home, I’d have to ask him to move. Every. Single. Time. The dining room didn’t see much use outside of my work times, as we generally eat in the living room.

Last month I asked him to switch his desk with the dining table. It took us 3 hours, and now the apartment feels twice as big. It’s much easier to get to everything we need, and all of our space actually gets used. Why didn’t I think of this before?

bandicoot

A Simple Change

sometimes we need to live in a space for a while before we see how best to use it.
    and when the light goes on, doesn’t it feel good?
    enjoy your new-found space!

Irulan

A Simple Change

Thanks, bandicoot! It does feel good to have made the change. Both of us enjoy the new setup.

jbeany

A Simple Change

Ahhh, gotta love those light bulb moments! And then you spend the next week stopping, looking at the new layout, and sighing in satisfaction, don’t you?

I had one of my own light bulb moments today. I’m about to have hernia surgery, and I won’t be able to lift anything over 10 pounds for a month. This is not good news for a crafter with a well-stocked closet of heavy supply tubbies. So, I shuffled things around to put out the things I thought I might want to use the most. My first attempt was awful – I flipped up the treadmill and wedged a folding table next to it. It’s the table I use while I’m sculpting, so it and the 20 pound box of polymer clay was going to have to stay out instead of put away in the closet. Sitting at it meant I was going to have the folded treadmill looming at an angle over me every time I sat down. I didn’t like it, but I didn’t see any other choice. It stayed that way for a few days.
    Today, I read my pre-op instructions. Ooops – I’m supposed to walk as much as I can every day after surgery – but I can’t climb stairs more than once a day. I live on the second floor. I’m gonna need the treadmill ready to use, not folded up! As I lowered the treadmill, I realized a better layout involved moving a small dresser to a space normally left open to give better access to the bookcase. Slide over the trash can that sat by the dresser, and – voila – there’s an open space for the clay table. Only the reference books on the bottom shelf will be difficult to access, but they are still reachable. The room looks open and spacious again. Huh. What took me so long to figure that out?

A Simple Change

Congratulations Irulan for your thinking outside the box solution! Feels good doesn’t it?

jbeany, oh no. When is your surgery? I’m a fan of alternative medicine and am wondering if that would be an option for you? I have difficulty with 3D interior design so especially appreciate that you resolved your space challenge. Best wishes on your surgery. Please let us know how it goes and how you are. Have you had surgery before?

jbeany

A Simple Change

You’re a sweetheart, needtoclean – but I have a massive incisional hernia left over from complications from a pancreas and kidney transplant. There’s no alternative to having the doc physically remove the skin graft that is currently holding my guts up from my knees and having him shift them and my skin back to their original locations front and center. It’s scheduled for next week and I can’t wait to have a normal shaped tummy again! I’m joking around with the doc, telling him I want a zipper tattoo once I’m back in one piece – but it’s probably going to look like clutter I can’t get rid of later in life! Maybe a henna one instead, just before my one month follow-up…does washable equal consumable?

A Simple Change

jbeany: Best wishes on your surgery! May I suggest considering taking probiotics if you are given antibiotics? Theralac is recommended by many health food stores. Take them on an empty stomach an hour or up to 3 hrs after taking the antibiotic. If you take it at the same time the antibiotic kills the good bacteria in the probiotic. Duke and the Doctor recommend Natrin’s Healthy Trinity (spelling???). May the force be with you. Washable = good 🙂

Irulan

A Simple Change

Best of luck with your surgery, jbeany! Drop us a line when you’re feeling better.
    NTCH, thanks for the compliment! I like the idea of it being outside the box rather than what’s listed on the formal floor plan for our apartment. It makes me seem much cooler for finally getting it right!

Sky

A Simple Change

I wish you a fast and easy recovery from your surgery, jbeany.

JuliaJayne

A Simple Change

I really like your post, Irulan. Those simple changes are so fun.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.