Home Forums Living Spaces Bedrooms 2 adults, 2 kids in one room! Need ideas!

This topic contains 49 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  nathan01 5 years, 1 month ago.

• Author

Usagibuffy

We are expecting a second baby in February and could use some new ideas for organizing our space. Here is an album with pics of our room and current set-up: http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r286/Usagibuffy/Bedroom/ I could really use some help figuring out how to fit another (albeit little) person into our small space!

Some background: We moved in with my parents a year ago, the idea being to spend about 3 years with them while we pay off our debts and save for a house. DD is nearly 2 and will be 2.5 when the baby is born in February. Hopefully we’ll be ready to buy a house around DD’s 4th birthday, baby will be 17 months then. We don’t have a lot of extra money to spend on stuff for our room, but will do what we need to to make our space livable. We also have a 6’x6′ shed in the backyard for the things we didn’t want to get rid of but didn’t need inside.

We have the one room (about 10’x12′) and closet (6′ wide) for ourselves. DH has a desk in another room where we also have 2 more tall bookcases, and I have a little sewing corner in another room. DD has toys in the living room as well as the bedroom. She clearly has too many and I plan to clean them out before her birthday to cut down on the number, but she will need to have some in our room.

The set-up: We are a co-sleeping family, so in an effort to get more sleep (DD was waking us to get in our bed every night) we moved our mattresses to the floor. We love it, but it means no underbed storage space. Sometime before the baby comes, DD’s mattresses (she sleeps on 2 stacked to bring her up to our level, but it doesn’t have to stay that way) will be moved to the other side of the bed, where her toys currently sit. At first the baby’s swing will be in the vacated spot, then we will either use one of DD’s mattresses or get another mattress for the baby to sleep on.

We have a small antique dresser for DD’s clothes and the new baby’s clothes will fit in there as well. There is a taller dresser that has DH’s and my clothes. DH has 3 drawers for socks/underwear, tshirts, and jeans/shorts/pajamas. I have 2 drawers for socks/underwear and pajamas/a few tshirts. Most of my tshirts are hung in the closet. I hate this dresser! DH feels obligated to keep it because it belonged to his grandmother (though it isn’t an antique or heirloom or anything) but I may be able to convince him to get rid of it if we can come up with another solution for our clothes. On top of the small dresser are (mainly) an alarm clock I can’t read from my bed, our digital photo frame, and DH’s charging station. On top of the tall dresser we keep two bins with diaper supplies (we cloth diaper).

The shelves hold linens, videos, clothes DD hasn’t grown into yet, the DVD player and VCR, and some other baby supplies. The closet is pretty full, with DH’s work clothes (he has to wear a shirt and tie), DD’s dresses, and most of my clothes. The shelf above the bar has 2 drawered bins with odds and ends, our board games, and blankets for the winter.

We also have 3 cats who are shut in with us at night, so we need the litterbox, and need it somewhere not easily accessible to kids. Currently we have a triangular covered box; the opening is on the hypotenuse which faces the corner of the square area it sits in. This keeps it accessible to the cats but out of DD’s easy reach. She most leaves the box alone now, as we’ve trained her. The box needs to be replaced though, since the top is cracked.

We live in southern CA, where I’ve always been warned not to have my bed under a window or things above my bed in case they shatter/fall in an earthquake (though I’m somewhat skeptical; we rode out the 1994 Northridge quake with just a single broken knick-knack). This limits where we can have storage. Oh, and the furniture is bolted to the walls for our DD’s safety but of course can be moved if someone has a better layout idea.

Sorry for the novel, but I wanted to give all the information possible so I can get some help. Mostly I’m concerned about how/where to put DD’s toys. I’m also wondering if it would make sense at all to move her mattress onto our bed during the day so there is more room for playing. I have some ideas myself but need more! Thanks for the help!

JuliaJayne

2 adults, 2 kids in one room! Need ideas!

Your big problem is not where to put the toys, it’s “co-sleeping”.

Zora

JuliaJayne, some people strongly disapprove of co-sleeping, and others like it. You can’t assume that your feelings on the matter will be shared by everyone else. Indeed, the people in societies where co-sleeping is normal far outnumber those in societies where the children are expected to sleep alone.

My ex and I co-slept with our daughter until she was two. I was nursing her for those two years and I thought it was *wonderful* to just sit up and nurse her when she started to stir, before she even woke up fully and started to cry. No howling baby, no climbing out of a warm bed in the middle of the night. Various people warned me that the daughter would love co-sleeping so much that she would never want to stop … but she made the transition to her own bed, in her own bedroom, in one night, with no fuss.

I don’t think that Usagibuffy has a “problem” with the co-sleeping. She just has very little space.

Ella

Couldn’t both parents’ and child’s mattresses be equally elevated on bed frames or blocks so there’s storage space under all beds? You could buy roll-out storage bins that roll with a light enough touch that your daughter could manage.

Here are some ideas for paring down her toys:
    http://smallnotebook.org/2010/01/04/managing-your-pre-schoolers-toy-collection/

And storage ideas:
    http://smallnotebook.org/2010/09/01/ways-to-add-more-storage-space-to-your-home/
    http://smallnotebook.org/2009/08/24/organizing-your-childrens-clothes-storage/

Zora

The problem with elevating the bed is that the child might crawl or roll off. While my family was co-sleeping, we were on the floor too.

However, I have read that you can adapt a regular, off-the-floor bed to co-sleeping by attaching a crib to the bed, lowering the crib rail closest to the bed, and raising the crib mattress so that it’s the same height as the main mattress. The child is contained on three sides and could only fall off after crawling over mom. Which would wake up mom.

Theoretically. My daughter had the endearing/irritating habit of crawling between her parents, putting her head on one stomach and her feet on the other, and then stre-e-e-e-tching out, pushing both mom and dad to the edge of the bed. I didn’t wake up when she crawled over me. I did wake up when I found myself on the edge of the bed with no covers.

However, by the time the child is crawling, I suppose dropping eighteen inches or so to the floor is an everyday tumble, not all that dangerous.

Mimi

wow. this is a challenge. my tipp, less bears πŸ™‚

irishbell

after seeing the pics my first reaction is to reduce the number of stuffed toys by…lots. seriously. they take up loads of space. i imagine you could pare down the actual toys by a little, also.
    next, i would take all the ornamental stuff, and all shelves off the walls- it leads to a cluttered look, bare space on walls can be pleasing and calming.
    next i would take down the shelves you have on tracks on the wall- by the looks of them- one is sagging a bit- they look a little unsafe, as if they could tumble down any time. maybe go for a closed storage unit for the stuff that’s on those shelves. and go through what’s on the shelves- maybe you don’t actually need all of it.
    i don’t know what to suggest for clothes. unless you can fit the whole families clothes in your closet- you will need to keep the dressers.if there is a way to expand the closet into the room further- you could maybe keep all clothing for everyone in there. it would take up floor space, but also you wouldn’t have the dressers taking up space.
    the bed situation looks about as good as it’s going to get, i think. if the toddler sleeps with you, do you need the toddler mattress still? you could use a smallish bassinette for the new baby.
    it is definitely cramped quarters, but you do what you have to do. Good luck!
    i also loved having my babies near me at night.

Rosa

We did the homemade sidecar crib thing – bought a cheap crib, replaced the side toward the bed with a lowered one. It was great! We just stuck the original crib wall back on when we moved my son into his own room around 2 years old, after I weaned him.

It allowed for a LOT of underbed storage – we have a homemade bed frame, ugly but solid, made out of 4x4s and plywood, that is the right height to put plastic laundry baskets under – I keep sheets, out of season clothes, and some other random things under there.

When we had our son the 3 of us shared one room because we had roomates in the other bedrooms of our house. But the rest of the house held our books, toys, etc – I am impressed at you keeping really all your stuff in the one room!

lottielot

I’m impressed too! I would lose as many toys as possible or rotate them in and out of your shed if possible. How about one of those toy hammocks which hang from the ceiling? And maybe some over door shoe pockets would be handy too, for all sorts of things. Given your limited space, using wall and door space as much as possible makes sense.
    I would leave the mattresses on the floor, nothing worse than the thump of your kids head when they roll out of bed! I still sleep with my kids occasionally, it’s lovely to snuggle up with your children all cosy and cuddly. πŸ™‚

JuliaJayne

My apologies to everyone, especially the original poster for my comment. I should know better than to post when I’m tired and stressed out.

lucy1965

@JuliaJayne *reaches over and hugs you* We’ve all been there, babe — well done you for owning it and apologizing.

@Usagibuffy The toys are what really leap out at me when I look at your photos; I would reduce them as far as possible and store them in your shed.

Charity

We’ve never had a mattress on the floor, we used a bed guard to stop anyone falling out. But then again, we’re lucky enough to have two double beds – as both my kids (6 and 3) still co-sleep we never quite know in which bed and with which child we will wake up in the morning.

I tazke my hat off to the original poster, I can’t imagine sleeping with all 4 of us together in one small room, let alone with the cats as well. My 3 cats are firmly shut out of the bedrooms at night as otherwise they sit on my head. I dn’t really know what to suggest re toys – I would have said some kind of hammock from the ceiling but I guess that’s not safe earthquake wise.

Ann

Looks to me like you need to seriously cut down on the child’s toys, books, bears and remember that a man sleeps/lives there, too. Not just a dad.

Usagibuffy

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am planning a major clean-out of my daughter’s toys within the next month or so and I’m sure that’ll help. I’ve been looking on some other sites and have some new ideas too. We really like having the mattresses on the floor; it actually helps visually open up the room and provides more play space during the day.

Ann – I am confused by your response regarding my husband. He has been very involved in all the decisions regarding the arrangement of our space. He is a very concerned parent and thought my idea to move the mattresses down to the floor was a great idea, seeing as he freaked out every time DD fell off the bed. His biggest complaint about co-sleeping? “[Our daughter] never cuddles with me!” He likes co-sleeping as well and is looking forward to DD’s move to his side of the bed, as that means she will invariably be snuggling up with him. DH has room for all his clothes, hooks for his hats and jacket, and space for the technology he wants to have in our room. And fyi, he chose the color scheme in the room, not me.

pkilmain

@Ann, usagibuffy mentioned in the original post that her DH has a desk/work area in another room. This is why, I imagine, you don’t see much of his imprint on the room.

I think that a full 2/3 of the toys could go, whether to storage or donation. And I agree that there might be better storage for clothing than the two existing dressers. Also, do you utilize those hangers that hold multiple items in your closet? Don’t know if they make them for children’s clothing but certainly for adult shirts/blouses and pants/skirts.

I see where the mattress on the floor is convenient for co-sleeping, and for your DD (and later the baby) during the day, but to me, it’s what makes the room appear so cluttered. A distinct lack of floor space and giving up all the underbed storage. I’m wondering if you could make a bed by building a platform 2-3 feet high, and big enough to hold all the necessary matresses. (I’m just free thinking htere…) and would have some sort of rail in the areas where the kids could fall off. That would give you either lots of underbed storage or a cavelike play area. We currently have our mattress on a piece of plywood which is supported by two long low (3 feet high?) dressers. This leaves a corridor of storage space between the two dressers where I keep my out-of-season bedding, extra pillows and – because there’s nowhere else – my electronic keyboard (in a box). The cats also love to go in there and sleep on the bedding, so it’s covered with a towel.

While DH and I lived in a space almost that small when we were first together, we didn’t do it as long as you plan to. Good luck, and I really admire your determination to make it work so you can move your life where you want to go.

I’m curious about the state of the closet…you say it’s pretty full, but I’m wondering if there is any space (floor space, etc.) that is not being used. Any way you could get a little more storage space with an elfa unit or so? I’ve used metro shelving in my (very small) closets, with the thought that if/when I no longer want to use them in that closet, they could be repurposed for the basement.

Also, this is just a personal preference, but if it were me I would try to take as much off of the walls as possible, just to clean things up a little. It might make the space feel bigger (not talking about storage here…clearly there are things on the walls that have an important function). And I agree with the other posters about the toys, especially the stuffed animals. But it sounds like you have a plan for those.

Hats off to you…I’ve lived in a very small studio once with one other person, and it was hard- whatever stuff you have is just there in plain view unless you can find some storage space. We had horrible problems with shoes. Seems like you guys have solved that one.

We recently rented while building a house. Of course, not in a space as small as yours (Thank God!) but we went from living as a family of 4 in 2500 square feet to 800 sq. ft. We let each of girls have rubbermaid tub of toys and that included stuffed animals. All others went into storage. But they are older and more attached to their stuff. Your child might not miss a lot of stuff you clean out.
    I am also wondering about the closet. Do you have a second rod that hangs from the regular closet rod? We used them in both of the closets in our rental. My husband and I had to share a single closet the width of a single room door. This made it so much easier (but still horrible). Here is an example of one:

http://www.target.com/Double-Hang-Closet-Organizer-Chrome/dp/B000PHDO06/ref=sc_pd_gwvub_2_title

I do agree that it might be more soothing to have bare walls, but I would not be able to truly relax with all of that clutter. I would be having shelves lining the walls with bins sorting everything out and possibly having curtains/sheets hanging in front of the shelves to keep all of the items covered.

tmichelle

Congratulations on your new addition! For all your stuff in there, at least you keep it pretty neat. I’d go through your media and discard the VHS tapes. Definitely get rid of most of the stuffed toys and other stuff (as you are planning on doing). We have a 2 1/2 year old DD and I periodically get rid of all the cheap stuff, plastic junk and extraneous stuffed toys in order to keep the clutter down. I have 2 identical white laundry baskets that most of her toys go into. I keep one in the closet and every week or so, switch it out with the one in her room so that she has “new” toys every week or so.

Also for visual serenity, I’d get rid of most of the little stuff/pictures on the wall and if I replaced them with something I would buy a nice landscape or mirror from the thrift store, but having all the little stuff on the wall gives a cluttered appearance.

I think it is wonderful that you are staying with your in-laws for a couple of years. We were weeks away from doing the same because my husband was out of work, but he finally found a job and we had to move to another state. I do wish we had family around though because I’d love the babysitting πŸ˜‰

BTW, we co-sleep too. We hadn’t actually planned on it, it just sort of happened that way, but it works for our family. πŸ™‚

bandicoot

i’d be inclined to build a raised sleeping platform for all of you, down one end of the room.
    with a rail.
    have it high enough off the ground so that you have accessible storage under there and keep stuff in bins on castor wheels.
    that will cut down on a huge quantity of visual clutter.

then i’d get my hands on an IKEA bookcase, the name escapes me for the moment.
    the one that looks like 5 x 5 cubes…..and i’d use it as a room divider.
    alarm clocks and picture frames can go on that.

on the other side of the divider, i’d put all the clothing.
    i have an ELFA wardrobe and ELFA office.
    it isn’t cheap, but it uses every single available inch of wall space and you can take it with you when you move….and you can endlessly reconfigure it as your needs change.
    there are also free-standing ELFA units.

pkilmain

Completely off topic, but all of this ikea talk has me longing. I finally got to go to an ikea store in Seattle on Monday. OMG – i was sooo overwhelmed. I wanted to pull out every piece of storage in my house and start over. :-). I have only ever been to the website and it as such an experience to be in thst hige store. Good thing the shipping would cost me as much or more than the actual furniture. I had a fleeting vision of us driving our truck to Seattle – a 4 day trip – loading it up and heading back. Fortunately that fantasy dissolved when i left the store. Your regular programming will now resume…..

Jackthetiger

As others have said, I would lose lots of the toys and books. Rotate them regularly and store them in the shed. Make sure people don’t give you new stuff, and use libraries and toy libraries. Maybe you could store some items in net storage near the ceiling. It could be accessed by a pulley. I am suggesting this as a last resort because it is not attractive or uncluttered, but maybe as a short term solution until your circumstances change.

Respect JuliaJayne

lottielot

Lol pkilmain! I know what you mean, ikea is a great shopping experience (well, till you reach the checkouts and find a billion people in the queue in front of you!). Then after you have a couple of shopping trips, buy unsuitable furniture, have to build the #<>^<<%# stuff and realise it’s not that cheap when you have to replace it with something more suitable, then next time you take a list πŸ™‚
    I would honestly be ready for murder if I had to live in such a small space with my entire family, I don’t know how Usagibuffy does it whilst pregnant too πŸ™‚ It seems like a good idea to make any purchases adaptable for any future house, like the elfa system suggested.

JuliaJayne

Ok ok, Jackthetiger. Although I chose a poor way to insinuate the elephant in the room, the elephant is still in the room. I’m not going to point out the elephant, either. Different strokes, right? This is not a judgement, just a lot of head scratching.

bandicoot

pkilmain….our closest IKEA is 1700km south.
    thank god.
    but i have shipped stuff home….particularly when we built our workshop.
    if i had a truck, i’d be driving it there, possibly right now, lolol!

Remember, IKEA does ship their items. I love the suggestion of building the wall of IKEA cubes and having everything behind it being clothing.

I completely agree with the suggestion of the platform and a bed guard on the side so no one falls out.

JayEff

I recognize that you are living in your parents’ house and must live where they let you.

To me, the bed is the biggest obstacle in the room

If possible, I would get rid of the mattress/bed and replace it with a futon or inflatable air mattress that you store in your husband’s study area (or some other room except for the one you are living in) and put out just before bed. Better yet, if your parents let you, sleep on the futon or air mattress in the study (or some other room except for the one you are living in).

Charity

Jay, that would be unsafe for sleeping with a baby. They need a proper firm surface.

love cheesehead’s idea of the curtain and putting stuff behind it. Seems like this would be best if it were a) as opaque as possible and b) light colored (white or cream) so as not to darken the room too much. You could make one entire wall into a storage area (seems like one wall is already used for much of the storage) and just install hooks or something and hang a wire rod or so and some inexpensive curtains from them (personally I’d go for the kind of curtains with grommets, like these: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=117017. I’d try and put as much stuff behind it as possible- the books, the videos, the bulk of the toys, etc. You could also use the curtains in the new house.

JayEff

Charity, you may be right if you are talking about a cheap camping mattress.

However, a high quality air mattress (like an Aero bed) can be as firm as a regular mattress. A futon would likely be firmer than a regular mattress.

s

I don’t know about a blow up mattress, but my cousins used to sleep on bed rolls. They had to roll them up and put them off to the side every day and roll them out at night. That gave them much more space in a shared room.

Also, I don’t know much about co-sleeping, but why does DD need separate mattresses? It seems like you would all fit together on a queen/king mattress. Maybe you could lean it up against the wall, like a Murphy bed, during the day?

Lots of folks have mentione all the toys, but what about all the books? You don’t have to own all the books you read. Could you narrow it down to one shelf of books you own and maybe another shelf of library books or something?

Maximizing hanging space in the closet, with a system or at least an extra rod is a great idea. (I think someone else linked to one; they just hang from the top rod and give you double the hanging space for short things like shirts/pants. You could still have plenty of room for dresses, as needed.)

I don’t know about getting rid of the shelving on the walls, although it is looking a little over-loaded. It looks cluttered, but I wouldn’t want to waste all that vertical storage space, either.

I assume, if you planning to live with the folks for several years, that the relationships are good. You’re not all confined to that one room (plus desk and sewing area) ONLY, right? I hope you’re able to “live” in the rest of the house, too. It seems like you could spread a few things around the common areas of the house–books in the living room or on the shelves near the desk; a bin of toys in the living area; etc.

Best wishes!

Ella

Usagibuffy: What is holding you back from cleaning out the clutter of your daughter’s toys?

Charity

http://www.unicef.org.uk/Documents/Baby_Friendly/Leaflets/3/sharingbedleaflet.pdf
    if anyone is particularly interested in bedsharing with babies.

Jay, I think what I would do is send the husband and toddler off to sleep elsewhere as you suggest, and have the baby on the regular floor mattress. I couldn’t have my toddler in the same bed as me and baby as she got jealous, and was better off in a separate room with her father all to herself.

s, it depends how much she wriggles! My 3 year old generally sleeps sideways, which is very irritating.

luxcat

if you went with shorter curtains you could utilize the space under the window with shallow shelves (maybe for the child friendly items like folded clothes, soft toys, kids books, other things little prying hands won’t mess up too much).

Don’t underestimate earthquakes- I live in california as well and please, please don’t hang heavy items above the bed and replace those rickety shelves. especially with two small kids in there. what is an uncomfortable smack on the head to an adult can really hurt a small child or infant (such as a book coming down from some distance)

Jackthetiger

Off the track, but I must say I do not understand the Ikea thing. The time I went I felt as though I was on a conveyer belt with consumption crowding at me from all sides. It was horrible and I left with nothing. I really hate shopping centres too. The give me the irites because they are so noisy and bright and the air is not fresh. I only enjoy shopping when you can go in and out of shops and feel part of the street environment. I especially love Melbourne’s lanes.

I am a huge fan of Elfa storage because it is so clean, flexible and it allows for air flow to keep items such as bed linen and towels fresh. I imagine that Ikea have similar products, but I could not see them because of the avalanche of unitaskers and other stuff.

Jackthetiger

fileboxx

It would help if you had all the wood painted the same colour like a white or cream and had light colored lined curtains, it would bring consistency and a lighter feeling in the room. Also, investing in a whole wall shelving system with semi transparent containers to store objects by category would make better use of the wall space currently being occupied by the dressers.

amelia

Doesn’t sound like the advice given has been very helpful, I see more criticism here than anything. I know exactly the challenges you are facing with storage and space. My husband was laid off last September and we made the choice to move in with his parents. Four of us now occupy a small spare bedroom, our kids are two and four so are room runneth over with toys as well. All of our large items we do not have room for our housed in a storage unit and we visit it at least once a month when i do a really good clear out of our closet and bedroom. (i get to a point where i get sick of tripping over everything and have to clear a lot of it out.)Both my husband and i have gone back to school full time, so neither of us are working so money is tight as well.

As you were planning on doing I would do a major sort out of everything you need and don’t need. I would clear out your daughters toys, leaving only open ended toys(which are toys that can be used for more than one purpose) like blocks. I would keep shelves on the wall and even add more shelving above the windows, instead of underneath. Here you could keep books and photo frames, and things that are used seldom. I would purchase mesh baskets that can be hung on the wall, and in these you can keep toys and stuffed animals.IN our closet I used two large diaper boxes stacked on top of each other to maximize the space on the top shelf of the closet. I purchased an adjustable hanging rod for the kids clothes,and have plastic dressers for their clothes and hanging canvas compartments for ours. you could use shoe holders for your daughters barbie dolls and smaller toys.We have a eight compartment cube shelf that houses are children’s toys, that is on the floor, but we will be mounting it to the wall so we can use the floor space underneath for more toy storage.

At first we had three beds in our bedroom, but we decided to buy a bunk bed, so my 4 year old sleeps on the top bunk and my husband and i sleep underneath(it is a twin over full bunk bed)and my two year old has a toddler bed. We do not have any dressers in our room all of our clothes are stored inside the closet, so this frees up the floor for play. I would also recommend buying a bulletin board for your daughters artwork.

This has been a hard time in our life, which I am assuming for you all as well. So, I am wishing you the best of luck. I am sure by now you have had your baby, so congrats!

bandicoot

gee amelia, that is a fairly sweeping statement, that you see more criticism here than anything helpful.
    i see loads of excellent advice for a fairly tricky situation, and an OP who never bothered to come back and say thanks or anything else.

amelia

I apologize if I offended you bandicoot. There ARE some very helpful tips here. I was only calling what i saw; a number of people pointing out the same thing to this woman again and again. As I was reading the posts the repetition became frustrating for myself, and in response to that I wrote my own.

Earlier on in the forum she did offer her thanks to those who had posted.

Netleigh

amelia,
    This thread had no action for 7 months, I think the OP is not coming back to it now.

Stella
    Participant

Good for you for trying to save for your house by living in one room. Many people would not do it but would rather increase their debt!

I currently live and work in country (moved for my job) where cosleeping is the norm and most families have one room for kids and parents and they live in shared households. And it doesn’t seem to be a problem for anyone. People do this even when they CAN move to their own homes. It is just a way of life!

Yes, it is hard to keep clutter under control, but you got some good advice here. I really don’t know how I’d do it – but I would certainly start with toys. I keep my sons toys to minumum – and rotate as well. It is so much better for him not to be overly distracted. He is 2.

I am only worried about the 3 cats and the litter box in the room with you and the newborn.
    I think I would unclutter the cats somehow.

Good luck and congratulations.

I like the suggestions you gave, amelia, especially as you’re in a similar situation. I was wondering how the OP would cope with the floor space issue with the extra child as he/she grows so I appreciate the reminder of the bunk-bed system (and to think I grew up with bunk beds).

The OP could have any number of reasons for not returning to the thread but I wish she would in order to give us an update on the current state of the room and how she is finding sleeping ‘on the floor’ while 8 months pregnant. Surely that can’t be easy.

amelia

Seeing as that I am in the situation I was hoping that maybe she would check-in and maybe we could get some updates on what she did do.

I was just hoping

pkilmain

The two posts she made here are the only ones she has made, so I think it unlikely she’s going to return.

Ella

It’s sure not the first time we’ve piled on advice a-plenty and then never heard from the OP again. Oh well. Judging from the number of ex-lurkers who’ve commented lately, our advice should never be considered a waste of time. Somebody may gain something from it, even if many months or years down the line.

EraserGirl

did i miss someone suggesting this?
    cause the answer to me is bleeding obvious.
    you need a loft bed for the adults
    and that will free up the under neath for both a twin and a crib.

google images of loft beds
    many many of them are easily constructed of 2x4s.
    they are quite amazing how they can transform a space such as a dormroom
    into a studio apartment.

snosie

The issue EraserGirl, was that they cosleep, so the floor option meant the toddler wouldn’t fall far/at all.

EraserGirl

well the co sleeping does put a damper on their options.

marie132

I am not sure if you still need idea one year later, but just in case here is what I suggest:I would go for a mezzanine bed, so you can take advantage of the vertical space. That way you guys can sleep up there and the kids can sleep in a convertible bed or an actual bed closer to the floor (no risk of falling).

nathan01

It can be possible, is not such a big issue, you could have your kids a bunk beds in the room and you and your husband could easily sleep on the double bed either.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.