Taking Care About Different Carpet Types
With so many patterns and colors to choose from, carpet is both a practical and appealing finishing touch to any room. It’s no surprise that the majority of homes have at least one room with carpet in!
While carpet is a common asset to have in any home, it requires a lot of looking after. Unlike laminate flooring which can be cleaned with a simple wipe, carpet is prone to stains. It is important to understand exactly how to look after your carpet so that you can keep it looking brand new for years to come.
Within this guide, we will be taking you through the most popular carpet types and how to look after them.
Types Of Carpet And How To Look After Them
There are three main types of carpet to choose from: nylon, synthetic/polyester, and wool. It’s crucial to understand what type of carpet you have as the cleaning routine for each one varies. Read on to discover some general rules to follow when it comes to cleaning these types of carpet…
- Nylon Carpet – Nylon carpet is the most popular type of carpet as it is incredibly durable, making it resistant to fading or staining. For best results when cleaning, apply warm water to stains and blot with a cloth. For the stains that are hard to budge, you can use carpet cleaner solution in moderation.
- Synthetic/Polyester Carpet – Synthetic carpet can be routinely cleaned with help from vacuum cleaners. Your vacuum cleaner will help to remove everyday buildup like dust, helping the carpet to maintain its clean shine. To reach even the fiddliest of corners, it is recommended to use a handheld vacuum on synthetic carpet. If your synthetic carpet has stubborn stains and requires a deep clean, then you’ll need to hire a professional steamer to do it for you. They’ll likely use expensive tools like dehumidifiers and carpet cleaning machines that the majority of us don’t already have lying around our homes. Other than in this instance, only ever use a vacuum cleaner.
- Wool Carpet – Wool carpet requires a bit more maintenance as it is difficult to dry. Wool carpet tends to have more ‘nooks’ for dirt to hide in, making it all the more important to routinely clean the carpet (preferably with help from a professional). For best results, it is recommended to mist the carpet with water or commercial carpet cleaner before gently blotting it away.
Top Carpet Cleaning Tips
While the above section outlines the most important cleaning tips for each type of carpet, there are still some general rules to follow. Use the below information as a checklist for whenever you need to clean your carpet – you’ll be sure to notice the difference!
- Always take your shoes off before walking into the room
- Vacuum as often as possible
- Book in a routine steam clean
- Use rugs to reduce dirt buildup
- Never leave a stain unattended
- Only use trusted carpet cleaner solutions
Frequently Asked Questions
What type of carpet wears the best?
Nylon carpet is by far the most durable type of carpet. It is the most common type of carpet you’ll come across and all with good reason. The nylon fibers resist fading and staining, making your cleaning process incredibly low maintenance. Not only this, but nylon carpet is also resistant to crushing, meaning you can move your furniture around as much as you wish without having unwanted side effects.
What type of carpet is thick and soft?
Wool carpet is deemed to be the thickest and softest, making it a popular choice for those who want the ‘shaggy’ carpet effect that is seen in so many stunning interiors. The only downside to wool carpet is that it is slightly more expensive and harder to clean. For these reasons, many people end up opting for the slightly cheaper ‘plush’ carpet which has the same soft effect.
What is the best month to buy a carpet?
If your new year’s resolution is to change your carpets then you’re in luck – December and January are the best months to buy a carpet! There are many reasons for this, with the main one being that many homeowners decide to revamp their homes in the fall after purchasing in the summer. This means that, by the new year, there will be little demand for carpet and you’ll find yourself at a better chance of getting a good deal.
Another great time to buy a carpet is over the school holidays when all of the kids are at home. This might not be suitable for those who have kids, but for those who don’t, you’ll enjoy the hassle-free experience of getting new carpet installed at a far more affordable price. Just remember to shop for vacs beforehand so that you’re prepped and ready to keep it sparkling clean.