Getting out the door on time is a difficult task when you just have yourself to worry about in the mornings. Getting out the door on time with children in tow is even more difficult. The website WebMD has a terrific video about fostering time management skills in children and helping them get where they need to be, when they need to be there.
A round-up of tips from the video:
- No television an hour before bedtime.
- Prepare for the morning rush in the hour before sleep. Backpacks should be packed, clothes need to be chosen for the next day, etc.
- Wake up your child in the morning with a whisper and a kiss, not screams and demands.
- Give children at least an hour to bathe, get dressed, eat breakfast, and brush their teeth before needing to be out the door.
- Get rid of distractions, like toys.
- Give “warning” messages at 10, 5, and 1 minutes before time to leave.
Do you have additional tips to add to this list? Please share them in the comments.