Oprah has been giving decluttering a lot of attention lately — and we are glad to see it. She has teamed up with an Unclutterer-favorite Peter Walsh for the Clean Your Messy House Tour. We interviewed Mr. Walsh a while back and have covered Oprah’s efforts in this area in the past.
The online slideshow that accompanies this project has some quick tips. If you feel overwhelmed by the clutter in your home, taking 10 minutes on a small project is an easy step to get you started.
Some general tips that were covered in the first episode included:
- Before beginning organization, ask yourself, “What do I want from this space?”
- Ask yourself, “Am I valuing my possessions?”
- Ask yourself, “Am I saying one thing to myself about my habits and my life and doing another?”
- Always store like with like.
- Create zones for specific functions. (i.e. the mail zone.)
- Start small. Begin by tackling a manageable area that you can organize relatively quickly. Small chunks over time will be less overwhelming.
- To hang children’s artwork, get a variety of small rug squares and use double stick tape to hang the squares to the walls. You can pin the artwork to the rugs as a creative display board.
- With clothing, hangers should all be facing one direction. As you wear the clothes, hang them back up in the opposite direction. In six months, check to see what you have not worn. If you haven’t worn it, take this opportunity to decide if you really need it. If not, donate or sell locally.
- In small spaces, create dispersed light. “When you light everything, you light nothing,” says Candice Olsen of HGTV’s Divine Design, who is providing design guidance for the tour.