Unitasker Wednesday: Microwavable S’Mores Maker

Summertime is the right time to sit around a campfire and eat S’mores. I’m not a huge fan, I’m quite happy with a solitary marshmallow, but now you S’mores fans can have them regardless if you are near a campfire or not. The Progressive International Microwavable S’Mores Maker lets you enjoy a S’more whenever the mood strikes you. What more can you ask for? S’mores on demand is quite the incredible luxury. Forget summer cookouts, enjoy these bad boys in January! From the product description:

It is easy to make smores at home using the Microwave S’mores Maker from Progressive. Just fill the base with water, stack your smores, lower the arms, and microwave for approximately 30 seconds. The graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate will heat quickly and evenly while the arms hold everything in place. It’s great fun for kids and adults alike.

Have any of you ever put marshmallows in the microwave for 30 seconds and then tried to eat them? If you have, then you know that if you wait more than a minute for them to cool, they turn into rocks. Yummy, teeth-breaking, sugar rocks. Enjoy!

(Thanks to reader Christine for sending us this suggestion.)

**Each week, the Unitasker Wednesday column humorously pokes fun at the unnecessary, single-use items that manage to find their way into our homes.

26 Comments for “Unitasker Wednesday: Microwavable S’Mores Maker”

  1. posted by BlackMacX on

    The “pads” for the “MSM” make me think of cardio-paddles from a defribulator… Maybe that was intentional… ๐Ÿ™‚ Anyway, I want more clutter in the world and this fits the bill (now I have to get a microwave to use it with…).

  2. posted by Anne on

    I have never put a marshmellow in the microwave for 30 seconds, but think we will today! woo woo

    thanks for ways to help keep myself and 4 kids entertained during the hot summer days in northern california!

  3. posted by Jen on

    Nuking marshmallows is one of life’s great delights. How long you cook depends on how powerful your microwave is, and how smooshy you like your final product.

    I always wondered why they called the little crunchy things in Lucky Charms cereal “mini-marshmallows” — until I overcooked a few marshmallows in the microwave. When they cool, they shrink down into exactly those crunchy bits. Yum!

  4. posted by sharon on

    A bit of marshamllow fluff in the miccrowave for about 15 seconds puffs up just nicely and can be put on a rice cake or chocolate covered graham cookie. ๐Ÿ˜‰

  5. posted by cerrissa on

    ooo i love microwaving marshmallows! but sometimes it’s better if u put the graham cracker and chocolate in for a little bit longer, so they get more melty ๐Ÿ™‚

  6. posted by Nick on

    And here I’ve been using marshmallow fluff and chocolate syrup for all these years like a sucker! You’ve changed my life, Matt; I’ll never forget it!

  7. posted by Renee on

    Bah–just build them, put them on a plate, and nuke them for 10-15 seconds. Works great!

  8. posted by Marie on

    I’ve never been a huge fan of S’mores. I like my chocolate and marshmallow without some freaking graham cracker, thankyouverymuch.

  9. posted by Liza Lee Miller on

    “The graham crackers, marshmallows, and chocolate will heat quickly and evenly . . .”

    as you all know . . . the secret to a good s’more is warm graham crackers. And, uh, how does this help those of us wno like their marshmellows burnt to a crisp before becoming part of a ooey-gooey s’more? Best unitasker ever!

  10. posted by Julia on

    We’ve been making S’mores in the Microwave all summer but I have the kids convinced that putting chocolate in one makes it a “special grown-up s’more.” so they will eat them without chocolate.

    Yes, I’m evil.

  11. posted by Celeste on

    I’d roast them over a gas flame before I’d nuke them. They taste better browned, and they want to spill all over nuked.

    I think you could probably repurpose a George Foreman grill or any kind of nonstick panini press or waffle iron for this, too.

  12. posted by comboman on

    Perhaps you missed the part about filling the device with water? That’s why the marshmallows don’t over cook at 30 seconds, the water is also being heated.

  13. posted by Elizabeth on

    But… but… all it does is squish them! Seriously, how hard is it to take half a second to squish a s’more by hand once it’s melted!!!

  14. posted by Deb on

    It looks like a version of R2-D2.

  15. posted by Victoria Day on

    looks like landfill fodder to me . . . unfortunately:-(

  16. posted by Sue on

    Non-clutter s’mores: spread 2 grahams with chocolate frosting, then a layer of marshmallow fluff. Smoosh.

    (How many of you have nuked a Peep and watch it eexxxxppaaannndddd ?)

  17. posted by Mer on

    I thought I read somewhere a recipe where you assembled the smores and wrapped them individually in foil, then put them in the oven under the broiler to heat through.

  18. posted by Jesse on

    I’m with comboman here – that’s why you add the water. This is also why you place your cake pan INSIDE of another pan filled half-full with water when you bake it – keeps the cakes/brownies moist and keeps the tops from hardening. I would imagine it would do the same for the marshmallows.

  19. posted by Doreen on

    @sue…LOL! Must. get. peeps.

  20. posted by Kevin (ReturnToManliness) on

    This one is awesome. Smores are fantastic.

    I am waiting for the microwave coffee cup holder!!!! That would be cool…

  21. posted by Erin on

    I am so not even showing this to my husband. He would buy one in a second. Scary.

  22. posted by Springpeeper on

    Just imagine trying to figure out what this thing is, if you haven’t been told!

  23. posted by ShopLittleGifts on

    that is actually kinda cute.

  24. posted by Sara at On Simplicity on

    Holy Hell! Is this where we are now? We’re taking things that require only prehistoric technology (Stick? Check. Fire? Check.) and requiring them to be electronic and hideously ugly? My favorite unitasker yet!

  25. posted by Vanessa on

    What a waste of energy. Just do it the old-fashion camp-fire way.

    What a waste of plastic and other materials too!

  26. posted by Suzjazz on

    I haven’t had a S’more since Girl Scout camp many years ago, but I suspect that it just doesn’t taste the same if the marshmallow isn’t toasted over a campfire, preferably until the outer coating is brown to black charred and inside is creamy. You can’t reproduce this in a microwaved marshmallow and probably it’s tricky in a regular oven.

Comments are closed.