Living in an apartment or dorm room can have some disadvantages. One of the biggest disadvantage, in my opinion, is that you have limited decorating options. Most landlords won’t allow you to paint the walls, and many won’t let you use nails to hang artwork.
This bleak canvas might be appealing to minimalists, but I think that most people enjoy looking at something other than plain, white walls. Additionally, visually identifying where a room begins and ends, or where a zone of a room exists, can help a space feel more put together and less cluttered.
Vinyl wall decals with low-tack adhesive are one way to create interest on a wall without having to pick up a paintbrush or hammer a nail. I also think that these are great solutions for children’s rooms where interests change quickly with age. (Dump trucks were so two weeks ago!) I’m considering using them in my three-story stairwell, and I even have the luxury of being able to paint my walls.
A google search for vinyl wall decals or decorations will yield many links. I’ve collected a list of some of what I believe to be the most innovative producers:
- Pop Cling has vibrant, artistic clings.
- Wonderful Graffiti lets you create custom lettering and also has ready-made words and quotes available.
- Acte Deco has numerous designs based on nature and sports themes.
- Domestic has many interesting cartoons and doilies from French designers (“Shall We Dance” is my favorite).
- Wallcandy has brightly colored designs perfect for a child’s room, and some serve double duty as chalkboards.
- Tonky has unique designs (their “Creatures” are so disturbing they’re cool).
- Beearo eschews vinyl and makes wood wall decals.
- Sitcky Ups is a British company that has lots of options for children’s rooms.
- Les Invasions Ephemeres has seven collections, most with a French flair.
- Apple Pie Design has many silhouette options.
- Blik has Charles and Ray Eames decals that make my heart go pitter patter.
If you’re having trouble creating zones in your home, consider vinyl wall decals as a temporary or permanent option.