Home Forums Welcome Hello! You know you're an Unclutterer when . . .

This topic contains 58 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Sky Sky 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    rutheverhart

I found myself looking at my Valentine’s Day roses and thought “just finish dying already, so I can throw you out.”
    What’s yours?

Ella

You know you're an Unclutterer when . . .

Yesterday I vacuumed up some unknown object from behind the refrigerator. I could hear it being sucked up but couldn’t see it. I didn’t bother to check the vacuum bag and furthermore I don’t even care what it was. I figure if I hadn’t noticed it was missing, then I don’t need it, whatever it was.

Northshore
    Participant

You seriously consider giving away the books you gave to DH for his wedding gift.

ninakk

You say no thanks to the free samplers or other free gifts you previously have thought “I could use that!” of, even when you knew you wouldn’t use the carp. Something has to be seriously good for it to enter my doorstep now.

Mimi

…your mother in laws asks you, looking at the small sideboard that replaces the way bigger bookshelves: “does all you stuff fit in there?” and you open the doors of an empty sideboard.

Ella

… when this is your idea of a perfect happy birthday:

candy

Oh Ella, that made me laugh! Thanks! :D

chacha1

perfect cartoon. :-)

rutheverhart

These are fun! Thanks everybody!

Mimi

ella, hahaha, that cartoon is funny!

irishbell

When someone gives you something you don’t particularly care for or need,
    and all you can think of is how soon can I get rid of that?
    That does not mean I am not grateful for the thought and time that went into it!

MichelleOhio

Good one, irishbell. I was given a bottle of wine for Christmas and the bottle itself was oddly shaped. I was told to drink the wine and keep the bottle forever. The full bottle has been given to someone that was very pleased to get it. (I figured two months was almost “forever”….right?!) The person I gave it to did ask if I wanted the cool bottle back. NO THANKS! :)

Sky

Ella, funny cartoon!

When I get catalogs in the mail, don’t even look at them and put them in the recycling bin.

chacha1

you know you’re an unclutterer when … you are dusting a bookshelf and start thinking “which of these am I ready to put in the read-and-pass-on pile?”.

Meglet

When you’re unpacking (or re-arranging) things onto new shelves, and it doesn’t all fit, your thought is “what else can I get rid of” not “I need bigger shelves.”

When I’m at an event that has some sort of door prizes and I sit there praying i don’t win one.

Katt

When you go on vacation and all you want to bring back are photographs and memories.

arthelemis

When you are in the use-it-up stage, and make a small victory dance everything you finish off a bottle of lotion/shampoo…

Or when you obsess at the office supply store over getting a new red pen for your text revision class, because you already have an old one, and it’s not even used up/dried up/lost/broken yet. Never mind that said old pen is useless for your current needs because it’s to broad, skips like crazy and is generally a pain in the a** to use.

Later happened to me today, until I was slapped back in reality by my friend who told me to just pick a frickin pen already.(I must admit I picked the red one, along with a light blue, purple and green – revision is sooooooooooo much easier with different colors for different mistakes)

Ella

When you walk quickly past the displays of Easter candy but come to a skidding halt to compulsively tidy up the messy shelf of marshmallow PEEPs.

Barbs

When you’re in the store and the voice in your head screams UNITASKER or DUSTCATCHER at almost everything you see.

Or maybe…when you join a forum dedicated to it. :)

ceduke

When something falls and breaks and your reaction is along the lines of “thank goodness I don’t have to figure out what to do with THAT.”

ChiFlower

When you feel uneasy after doing a big grocery shop, and immediately start cooking and eating just to reduce the amount of stuff you just brought into the house.

@ceduke – haha, yes I’ve felt like that quite often.

Having a good chuckle at some of these.

Allison

These responses are hilarious!! You all know the Dalai Lama was looking in that box, seeing the universe in a single atom…

Chi, I do that but it has nothing to do with uncluttering purposes! Ha! I swear I just shop sometimes with the intent of only eating for one night. =)

ChiFlower

When you allow your toddler to destroy something, so that you have an excuse to throw it out. :)

ChiFlower

When you’re not sure whether to bin an item of clothing that has a small hole in it. You umm and ahh over the decision, then decide to rip a bigger hole in it so that you won’t be tempted to take it back out of the trash.

Ella

When you get annoyed at those “buy one, get one free” offers because you really only need just one.

ChiFlower

@Allison – I have learnt my lesson with the grocery shop – the more food I have in the house the more that I eat.

ChiFlower

@ella – hehe, yes and those “buy 2 and save”. Uhh, no, I will pass, I don’t need 2 tubes of toothpaste, or 2 blocks of cheese, or 2 six-packs of yoghurts, etc.

ChiFlower

When a friend or family member comes back from holiday, and you HOPE that they didn’t bring you back a gift, because chances are you will be looking to get rid of whatever it is.

When you look at a prize home flyer and all you can think are things like: “If I win, can I convince them to buy the dust-catchers back from me?” and “Who wants to clean that much room!” or “7 TVs in a 3 bedroom house – how many sets of eyes would the occupants need to have!”

ChiFlower

@Laetitia – that’s what I think when I look at the prize list of our “Big Wednesday” Lotto here in Nz. Before I win, can I be assured that they’ll take back the Lamborghini, the Audi and the boat and pay me the cash instead, because I don’t want and don’t need these and don’t want to deal with the hassle of having to sell them… should I be the lucky 1 in 500 million to win Lotto, that is :)

bandicoot

when you spend almost as much time planning your 6 kilo backpack as your 6 week overseas trip.

when you look calmly at the 16 square metres / 172 square feet of completely empty space in your bedroom, and feel no urge whatsoever to put anything in that space.

rutheverhart

When you clear everything off a coffee-table to make it easier to dust — and the next week think, Heck, I can get rid of this table entirely!

bandicoot

ruth, i love that!

chacha1

When you realize that no clutter has accumulated in the bedroom (formerly a clutter magnet) for more than six months and that the only “loose” items in there are on their way out.

sleepykitten

When you are jealous of people with over-stuffed rooms because you know if it was your room, you could free up a lot of space quickly and make a big dent in the clutter.

When someone asks you to buy something to support their school/nonprofit/etc. and if you HAVE to take the wrapping paper/t-shirt/etc. or if you can just give them cash.

When you excited about new spots to drop off donations.

sleepykitten – I hate when a fundraiser at work only has ‘buy this pen / badge / tchotcke’ options because the organisation doesn’t offer $ donation only receipts (and if we are given a thing, regardless of value, we are ineligible for a tax-deduction receipt). I now refuse to participate in such programmes; I simply smile and say that I’d prefer to make a $ only donation so all the donation is going to research / support rather than a proportion going to pay for ‘stuff’.

ChiFlower – ah, yes, the ‘package’ lotteries – house + car + holiday… What if I don’t want to pay rego, insurance and running costs on another car and I’m happy with the one I have? Now, offer me the option of spending the equivalent $ on a 4WD drop-side-tray truck (for getting up my 4 acre, rural residential, hillside block) rather than a low-slung sports car intended primarily to flash how much money (and how little common sense) I’d have and I might be interested… :-)

Not saying there’s anything inherently wrong with sports cars – I’ve always had a soft spot for Magnum PI’s Ferrari ;-) – they’re just completely inappropriate for my lifestyle (current and proposed) and would be silly for me to own at this point.

ChiFlower

Letitia – it is going to look funny when I have a ferrari or lamborghini but don’t actually own a dining table or a coffee table :P I wouldn’t feel comfortable driving a vehicle worth that much.

And when I win all these prizes, can I trade my First Class seat on the plane and travel economy, and pocket the difference? hehe

Xiro

One the fits the most is if I was ever on a trip I am perfectly happy returning with just digital photographs. I have also done the walk in a store and see all the pointless dust collectors.

ChiFlower

When you smile on the inside when something breaks (rather than be upset) because it means you now have the option of throwing it away and clearing some SPACE.

Jude2004

When you scan 100 items a day, shred most, and your give away to museums folder is thicker than any other; or when you decide to give away all these strange antiques left you by your grandmother (she used them, but I don’t) to the same museum, realizing that you’ve been moving these objects around, trying to find a use for them for years because they were hers, not because you loved them.

paisley

When your FIL visits and asks, “how long does this counter stay this clear?” and you think, it is always cleared like this.

When your DD says that all of her roommates have so much stuff, and you think, maybe I have influenced this child after all.

And I would second the idea that when something breaks, you secretly think “that’s my ATAD.”

rutheverhart

When the whole family uses the phrase “closing the loop” as shorthand: empty the dishwasher, put the laundry away, take out the trash. Nothing onerous, just a loop to close, almost a gift to the self.

MichelleOhio

…you own a retail home decor store and have to keep quiet about all the dust catchers people are buying.

Nina

… you get a litttle high every time you empty a shampoo bottle, toss a read magazine or finish a packet of something. This high is bigger the more stuff you get rid of.

… one of the reasons you want to move is because it’s the perfect time and opportunity to have a good declutter.

poodle

… you get a room or spot (coffee table, kitchen table) uncluttered, and after a few weeks or a month of keeping the specific region of your life neat and orderly, you still look for things in that same spot to declutter. I can’t count how many times I’ve cleaned out and organized a closet, and a month later gone back to that same closet to see if anything else mysteriously appeared that needs to be dealt with!

Ella

When you still get the occasional urge for shopping therapy, so you satisfy it by trying on shockingly expensive, outrageously crazy clothes or shoes (or whatever your retail drug of choice is), things you could never possibly afford. Then leave the store empty-handed but feeling so luxuriously smug.

when you can go to the craft store, admire a cute pink cutting mat and know that life will in fact continue if you leave it right there.

mdfloyd

I love all these and experience many of them myself, so I won’t repeat them!

Keep ‘em coming!!

liag

When you go to Target and fill your cart with pretties and then park it in a corner and walk out package-free and satisfied.

…you watch “The Hoarder Next Door” and consider changing career to be either a therapist or one of the clean-up crew.

Jackthetiger

When you get a charity collection bag in your mail box. I always do a happy dance, but my husband looks worried…

gailbon

When you get excited about a full garbage can, filled with stuff you never should have brought into your house in the first place.

arthelemis

…when you are at your messy friend place and look around and think for yourself about how much fun you would have cleaning this place.

…or when you are at the same friend place and cannot help yourself but trash the three empty TP roll on the top of the toilet

Irulan

…when your neighbors ask if you plan to “do” anything with a room that you consider fully furnished and decorated. In their defense, one of these neighbors is an artist who is making us a nice painting to put on the wall.

luxcat

my three favorites so far

1) the compulsive easter candy tidying
    2) the taking longer to plan the 6 kilo bag than the 6 week holiday
    3) the “are you going to do anything with this room” when you consider it done.

All three have happened to me, except it was christmas wrapping paper tubes in my case, not Peeps.

rutheverhart

. . . when you go into a store and look at all the stuff there is for sale, and think: “I don’t need any of it!” and just feel happy.

Sky

When I drop off stuff at Goodwill and leave feeling lighter.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.