Home Forums Living Spaces Kitchen Tupperware

This topic contains 24 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Rosa Rosa 3 years, 9 months ago.

• Author
    JCos

I just wanted to share an idea on how to clean up a tupperware organization problem:

1. Take out all tupperware you own
    2. Sort containers by size
    3. Sort tops by size
    4. Match containers to tops
    5. Go through each size of container/top combination, getting rid of anything in bad condition: PLUS, only keep as many tops as you have containers, and vice versa.
    6. Stack each size container with the tops on top…and then use a rubber band to keep each set together. The rubber bands from Whole Foods work great.

The rubber bands are kind of simple, but keeps containers and tops together to be easily found.

Aunt Cloud

Tupperware

Amen to that.

I haven’t tried this, but it sounds like a good way to cull wisely: after matching containers with lids, put a sticker on each containter. When you use it for the first time, take the sticker off. A month later, re-assess your tupperware collection: anything that still has the sticker on should go.

Another Deb

Tupperware

I have reduced my plasticware to three rectangular sizes. The lids all fit into one of the empty containers in each size and the containers stack. Everything is then placed in a deep plastic bin that fits an undercounter cabinet and I just slide the bin in and out to grab or return the containers. I hate reaching into lower cabinets, so this brings all the contents ont into the light where I can quickly get them.

Sophie

Tupperware

Another Deb, love the idea about keeping the tupperware in a bin that you can slide in and out of the cupboard. I really don’t like reaching to the back of cupboards to find things, or when things fall out of the cupboard because they’ve been stacked all over the show.

Another Deb

Tupperware

It’s a clear bin from Ikea, Sophie. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30102974.

I use these things in almost all of my undercabinet storage areas, the garage and the master closet. I must have about 15 of them in use!

elledee

Tupperware

This is the only part of my house that I feel is completely, wonderfully, perfectly organized.

I have a bin in my cupboard where all my tupperware bottoms are stacked/fit inside each other (after I made sure I had tops for each, of course). Then I have a rubbermaid handle-topped bin (there the snap-on cap has a handle on top as well, so you can grab it on top by one handle and just pull it out) that stores all the lids.

I grab the bottom I want, and then I can pull the entire bins of caps from the cupboard, set it on the counter, and rummage through until I find the correct one. I used this system awhile ago and love it…my caps are always in one place, never flailing around. I do a match/purge one a year or so. And, of course, I think it’s good to buy a set in the first place that has some interchangeable lids.

Also, any time I go to a friends house where I think they might send me home with leftovers (big holiday meals, etc.), I bring my own empty tupperware. It might seem presumptuous and tacky (though usually I’m with close friends or family who get it), but I HATE coming home with other people’s tupperware. It never quite fits in my with my system and then never makes it back to the correct home…

Tupperware

My husband took a shelf out of our kitchen cupboard and put one of those plastic 4 drawer organizers in to store our small tupperware. The top drawer has all small lids, the second drawer has large lids, the third drawer has measuring cups, jugs and other small round container while the bottom drawer has small square & rectangle containers. Now the little items don’t get lost amoung the larger items in too deep cupboard and every thing is much easier to find.
    Colleen http://www.365lessthings.com

chacha1

Tupperware

Oh gracious, I am so much less organized on this one … my “Tupperware” is likely to be recycled takeout containers! The only plastic storage I’ve actually bought in the last five years is a set of three small ones, with interchangeable lids, for transporting breakfast components to the office.

SenoraHB

Tupperware

This is my one, consistently organized kitchen area. When we moved into our new apartment, my husband and I realized we had one small drawer (about 12″x12″x8″) that we could devote to container storage. We have gradually replaced our older containers with the new Rubbermaid Easy Find lid containers. The containers we use have two lid sizes, but come in several different depths. So I’m only keeping track of two types of lids instead of 5-6 (or 10). Even though the containers are all different depths, they still stack together neatly. My stress level over food storage has gone down significantly.

We just purhcased a large container, which are normally annoying to store. I don’t like keeping the lid on the container since we tend to get a lot of mildew in the Midwest. This new container’s lid snaps to the bottom of it.

Thanks, Rubbermaid, for saving my life!

artcat

Tupperware

I decided to store my plastic containers with the lids on–no more lid shuffle! I wondered where I’d find the room to do that, rather than trying to stack by sizes, bigger into smaller. But when I got rid of some of the larger pieces that I thought would be useful when I bought them (Who needs a two quart size with pouring spout top and large cereal storers?–my cereal stays in it’s box!)I found all the room I needed. Plastic containers are used in my kitchen mainly for leftovers, anyhow. I have a few larger pieces to store extra foods I make ahead to go in the freezer.
    This one reorganization has made my “after meal life” so much easier! And I have learned to resist buying any more plastic food containers, no matter how clever they appear!

meg1959

Tupperware

I bought the 2 QT with pouring spout at the top w-a-y back when and found a use for it when I began decluttering. I buy dishwasher detergent in a very large plastic bin that I store in the basement (lined with shelves that my son organized, bless him). I fill the 2 QT pourable container with the detergent and keep that under my sink. This replaces the square plastic with no top (that was very hard for me to handle as I have small hands) and an old coffe scoop. It’s much neater too as I don’t spill anywhere near as much as I used to.

Sophie

Tupperware

artcat – my cereal also stays in it’s original box. I use one of those clip things to keep it fresh. At times, I have thought about getting a cereal plastic box, but really I don’t need to add more plastic to the house, and the plastic clip does a perfectly good job!

I too don’t get why there are these oversized containers….For Xmas my mother bought us a large plastic jug. Well it’s so large I can’t even fit it in the frige to chill the water or juice or whatever. Needless to say I haven’t used the jug yet.

cnuland

Tupperware

I bought a medium-sized rectangular basket and put that on the same pull-out shelf as our plastic storage containers. It holds all of our lids neatly so they aren’t falling all over the place. It also helps since most of our Tupperware stacks inside each other, so I don’t want to put the lids on to store them that way.

the-d-man

Tupperware

I have scratched matching marks on my containers and lids.

I have so many of the same size, that after microwaving them so many times they have distorted to different shapes so the lids don’t fit the containers. So the lids and containers with the same marks fit properly.

So the problem I have now is that the same size containers don’t stack and take up more room…..

the-d-man

Tupperware

I have scratched matching marks on my containers and lids.

I have so many of the same size, that after microwaving them so many times they have distorted to different shapes so the lids don’t fit the containers. So the lids and containers with the same marks fit properly.

So the problem I have now is that the same size containers don’t stack and take up more room…..

JuliaJayne

Tupperware

FYI

If any of the containers feel greasy even after washing means the plastic is breaking down. These are bad and shouldn’t be used as they can leach chemicals into your food.

Maybe that will help eliminate a few.

irishbell

Tupperware

the Rubbermaid #5 PP containers with the opaque dark red lids are fairly inexpensive, most lids fit most bottoms, even the produce keepers,don’t leach any known chemicals into your food and are generally recyclable. They seem to last longer and stand up to wear and tear better than the thinner plastic ones.I try to hand wash so they don’t get warped.

Quadlex

Tupperware

As an aside for lids, if you are considering throwing out a piece of Tupperware branded Tupperware because it has a lid missing, or a part broken, you can usually buy a new lid/part/base rather then throw the entire thing away. They tend to be inexpensive replacements, also.

Rozzie

Tupperware

If it’s actually Tupperware, do NOT throw it out just because it’s damaged. Tupperware has a lifetime guarantee “against chipping, cracking, breaking or peeling under normal non-commercial use.” http://www.tupperware.com/coe/app/tup_guide.warranty

You may have shipping and handling charges, though. Higher dollar tupperware items are WELL worth the shipping, I think. I’ve used this guarantee a couple of times. I know I didn’t have a fee, though. I think I went through a small shop that we had where I lived that sold Tupperware.

Zora

Tupperware

I have a set of Rubbermaid tubs, in various sizes, that I accumulated over the years. All the bottoms are stacked up, nested, and the tops are stacked next to them. I have five shelves of Rubbermaid!

I have an oversupply of the smaller ones, and am running low on the bigger ones. Those are the ones that go to church suppers and never return. I go down to the kitchen after the meal and they have disappeared!

irishbell

Tupperware

Zora- you could use permanent sharpie marker to put your name on both pieces. That way there’d be no confusion as to what is whose!

Zora

Tupperware

I’ve started putting my name on the tubs and lids, and they don’t disappear as frequently, but they still do disappear.

I think there must be a dimensional warp in the kitchen, leading to a pocket in space that accumulates large tubs, socks, and pens.

luxcat

Tupperware

has anyone ever bought one of those “tupperware sets on a lazy susan” contraptions I’ve seen around. and are you happy with it?

terriok

Tupperware

number them when you buy them?

Rosa

Tupperware

Luxcat, my mom has one (I think it’s rubbermaid?) and she LOVES it.

In fact, when they visit if she leaves any behind, I have to keep them til we see her next because she notices if one lid is missing.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.