Home Forums Welcome Hello! To eBay or not to eBay – what do I do with the stuff meanwhile is the question?

This topic contains 156 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Claycat Claycat 4 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    akcorcoran

OK, so I’ve got this raging internal debate about whether I should eBay some stuff that is clearly worth something – something more than I’d get at local consignment. I have designer things with a tag on them or children’s electronics (always worth something!) and so on. Plus books that I could put on half.com, especially books that I used in graduate school. Perfect example, right now I have a brand new pair of riding boots that are new in the box and retail for about $100 – comparable listings I could get $60 to $80. That’s real money!

BUT, what do I do with them as I: a) get organized around listing them and b) haven’t yet sold them. It’s sort of driving me crazy! But, if I take to consignment or the like here, I won’t get nearly the same value. The nearest eBay “store” where they do it for you is about 50 miles away – ugh – and I’m sure they take a hefty cut too. What to do?

Do any of you eBay? If so, do you have a system for pre-listing storage, during listing storage, packing supply maintenance, etc. I hate going to ship things so that’s another thing that is de-motivating for me.

But, if I can get $80 for something I’d get $10 here at local consignment, it could be worth my time…

Any eBayers out there? Or those who are fundamentally opposed as it is the opposite of Unclutterering?

nellieb

To eBay or not to eBay – what do I do with the stuff meanwhile is the question?

I have been listing on eBay since 2001 (rosehilllady is my seller name). I also list items of value for my clients.

The most important thing is to research the item using the Advanced Search feature to ensure it is selling.

There are two approaches to listing on eBay. One is to use the auction listing and know what the minimum amount is that you’ll take for your item. You can start the listing at that price (the higher the starting price, the higher the listing fee) or start it ridiculously cheap and put a reserve on it. The reserve is again the minimum price you will take. Thus, if the bidding does not reach the reserve price, you haven’t sold your item for less than you want.

Recently, I’ve begun to use the Buy It Now feature more using the Make an Offer option. I sold some unopened software in one day (listed Sunday, bought Monday, shipped today) for $60. I had that as my Buy It Now price knowing that was a fair price for the software based on sales during the last week.

The items I have listed on eBay are put into a storage bin with a lid. Thus, they are all in one place.

I also sold an item this week (again, one day and it is gone!) by using Craiglist.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Another Deb

I usually have several books out on the Amazon.com used listings. Your comment about hating to ship hits home for me. Usually the sale pops up at the least convenient time for me package, then to go stand in a line after work to ship something that will be maybe a few dollars of profit. I take books to the used bookstore (hey, support your local businesses!) or I just send them on to Goodwill and take the tax credit for charity.

Thanks for the e-bay info, nellieb. I do have a few things I wanted to list and have not used it but once or twice. Everyone says it is easy but I still think photograhing, determining shipping costs, describing, researching prices and posting intricate seller’s policies are not worth it unless you do it full time.

nellieb

It can be worth it if you are selling higher ticket items. I think the highest item I’ve sold was $3,000 and it the Seller did most of the research for me. On the other hand, I’ve sold a lot of $6 and $7 books!

For seller’s policies, keep it simple, I usually insert: Email questions prior to bidding. All bids are considered to be final. And that’s it for my policies! I check off that I am not giving refunds and also add that my items that were purchased from me are from a smoke free home.

The trick is to write up a standard closing paragraph in a word doc, and then copy and paste it into eBay so you don’t have to continue retyping the same stuff all the time.

I list for my clients who have nicer items, I usually get 40% and do all the legwork, shipping, etc. I also have a client that hired me to do their customer eBay listings (they are a shipping company) for which I charge a flat fee.

I’m beginning to experiment with Craigslist since it’s free. So far, listed 2 items Sunday and one is already delivered!

And yes, it sometimes evolves into quite a bit of work. So I charge clients a $50/hour research fee. I learned to do this after spending days on some larger lots that did not result in much pay for my work.

toberead

I used to sell on eBay, Amazon and Half quite often, although I don’t sell much any more. (I’ve run out of things to sell, plus it isn’t quite as profitable as it used to be.) But I still ship out books for paperbackswap. I will second doing research before you decide to sell. The things you think are valuable may not be big sellers on eBay.

However, one thing about eBay is the more you do it, the faster and easier it becomes. The first couple of auctions feel like they take forever, but after that, it becomes much easier. You learn how to do things faster. If you are going to sell more than a couple of things, I would suggest getting a scale. (I hate to suggest buying anything, but a scale is a useful multitasker.) Once you know the weight of your package, you can print shipping labels on paypal, and then you can just drop off your package at the post office. (If they are too big for the package drop, you can usually just hand them to the clerk without waiting in line.) Or check the USPS web site to see if there is a post office near you with an automated machine, where you can weigh your packages during off hours.

As far as staying organized, I think the secret is just to keep everything in one place. I have a drawer in my office where I keep my shipping supplies, and I used to keep my ebay sale items on a shelf in a nearby closet. The most difficult thing to store are boxes. Even if you fold them flat, they take up a lot of room. My rule was that I would never list anything on eBay until I had the box on hand that I would ship it in. The post office offers free priority mail boxes – they will even ship them to your door for free, but you have to get them in bundles of a dozen. I would order what I needed, then take any extras to the post office.

Nina

I sell things on our local version of ebay quit a lot and one rule I have that anything under 10$ is not worth the hassle of posting it, selling it and sending it. Because if you really want to sell something good pictures of the item helps and this takes a bit of time and then you have to write the post ect. That’s why I bring books I don’t need anymore to the next charity.

Other then that I have a box where stuff goes to sell and then put it up every now and then. But of course is does take up space and if it’s something larger (like our old computer screen) it just sat in the office untill we finally sold it. So if you’re main thing is to get things out of the house fast, then ebay is probably not the best solution. And if you know what you want to sell do it soon, because it’s easy to get caught up doing other things and then the things sit there for ages.

Claycat

I have a lot of things that need to be sold. I have some to sell myself, but most of them are things that I need to sell for my MIL. I keep putting it off. I think I am afraid! I don’t understand why I’m afraid. The “what ifs” keep bothering me. What if I make mistakes? What if someone gives me a bad rating? What if I can’t sell anything? I’ve even bought some things on ebay. How do I get around the fear and post that first thing to ebay?

akcorcoran

Thanks, everyone for the info – it’s very useful. I’m still very mixed – but @Nina, I like the under $10 rule (even if I list for $0.99 and follow @nellieb‘s strategy above).

I have this big box of books that I keep saying, “Oh, I’ll list those…” I bought a bunch of my text books (I have a women’s / gender and US history masters) on half.com so maybe they might be the lucrative ones to sell? Would it be wise to just go through and look them all up and see what the going value us – and then only sell certain ones that seem to have a high price?

I guess I’ll try with the ones that are over $10. I do have this Mac software called iSale and I’ll confess it makes it super easy except any self-taken pictures of the item. In fact, if there is a product in another auction or on Google, you can automatically pull in the information to create a listing. But, it’s still the self-taken picture if it’s used (most often) to show condition and then the whole box/shipping thing that I dread. I can’t find a shelf in my house for my own things, much less things I’m going to sell!

@toberead, do I need a special shipping scale? Or can it be a regular weight scale (have a fairly big one of those that is super accurate – paid up for a professional one but it’s digital, not a doctor’s scale or anything)?

I’m with you Claycat, sure with you eBay sellers lived near me! You could help me out then! :-)

wintersmom

@Claycat — I had the EXACT same worries when I first started selling on eBay. I was worried about the getting the shipping prices wrong, not being able to find the perfect box to ship it in, etc. My advice: Start small. List just one thing that has selling potential and that fits easily into a priority mail box. The priority mail boxes are free at the post office and it’s a flat shipping rate, so you don’t have to worry about weighing your item and using the shipping wizard calculator on eBay. Good luck!

wintersmom

@akcorcoran — I have a whole bunch of books on half.com right now. They’re just sitting on my desk at the moment. I had started a thread on whether I should impose an expiration date on these books here:
    http://unclutterer.com/discuss/topic/expiration-date-for-books-on-sale

This is what I’ve decided to do with individual books.

1) I start with half.com. After you list the ISBN and condition of the book, half.com will suggest a price and provide stats on the last price that title was sold at, current price ranges, etc. If my book can’t fetch at least $5, I don’t list it. I really like half because there are no listing fees and they reimburse you for shipping. The listings never expire, which could be a good thing for some people but not for me. I decided to give my books two months to sell.

2) Non-sellers from half get listed on Craigslist, where they have two weeks to sell (this involves reposting the ad once, but that’s easy if you’ve created an account on Craigslist). Craigslist pros: free to list, no shipping involved. Cons: It can generate some spam in your inbox, and you have to be wary of letting strangers come to your home. A shady guy has been emailing me about my $10 vacuum, so I offered to meet him somewhere public… and he’s suddenly not interested anymore. Of course.

3) Final stop: Freecycle. I recently joined my local freecycle group and I’m slightly addicted. Again, this involves letting strangers come to your home but I’ve found that the freecycle folks are not a shady lot.

For lots of books, I decided to follow nellieb’s advice and go straight to eBay. I just sold a lot of 10 Garfield books for $31, which is pretty close to what my husband spent on them in the first place.

Going back to half.com, the first part of January was great for sales! I had several grad school textbooks listed, and a lot of students were shopping for the spring semester. I made $50 off one textbook!

Of course, decluttering is not about the money, but a little cash certainly doesn’t hurt, especially when you have a toddler. I call it my milk money for the little one.

Anyway, good luck!!

toberead

As far as a scale, it doesn’t need to be super-accurate. First class mail is measured in ounces, but most other mail is measured by the pound, so it just needs to be accurate enough for that. Mine doubles as a kitchen scale. It only goes up to 5 lbs, but I rarely sell things that are more than 5 lbs. (If I do, I either use a bathroom scale or just take it to the post office and use the machine.) The only time you would need it to be very accurate is if you’re shipping something small and want to ship it first class, which is by the ounce.

nws2002

I’ve been selling books on amazon since I decided to cut them all down to what would fit on one bookcase worth. Making a little bit of money has sure helped me to let them go. I don’t list any books for less than 1.99, if it looks like it won’t sell at that price I donate it.

Amazon was the easiest for me to start with, they give you 3.99 for shipping, and most books are 2.57 to ship media mail, textbooks are more, the extra helps cover the cost of bubble mailers and labels. I use paypal shipping and my mailman just picks up the books with my regular mail, no trips to the post office for me. I keep a few Priority Mail Flat Rate envelopes around for those times when someone requests expedited shipping.

When I first started I just left the books on the shelf and pulled them as they sold. Now that I’m down to one bookcase I keep a box of the books that are listed in my office. When the box is full I go though and purge out the ones that haven’t sold and donate them or toss them.

Sky

My scale is very helpful determining postage however, with the flat rate boxes, you know what the charge is to start with. Make sure what you are selling fits in the box first!
    The ebay fees have gotten ridiculous lately so I try to wait until they have free listing or some deal. Maybe only list a few items at first as questions, packaging, etc. can be overwhelming. And, I agree, under $10.00 isn’t worth the bother.
    My ebay name is Flowertowngirl if anyone is interested.

I am a huge fan of selling on ebay – I almost always have a huge list of items up for sale. I agree, the shipping is the worst part because it seems like the post office is never open when I need to ship!

However, to keep things organized I have what I call an “ebay box” where I store all of the items I have currently listed on ebay. If these items don’t sell in a month’s time I donate them to Goodwill. I keep all of my packaging supplies with these items as well.

akcorcoran

Gosh – all of y’all are so super motivated! I sort of debate whether decided eBay or not eBay – and if eBay, I’ll put it here and then that box sits around (like the big box of books I was going to sell), then I feel guilty and then I think “Oh, I’ll just give it away,” but then look again and see valuable things and I’m trapped.

You are all giving me great advice and tips though – maybe I should make it a goal to CLEAR a shelf that could they be the eBay in-progress-of-sale area?

Any merits to half.com vs Amazon? And, when it says “media mail” how do you get the packages for that?

wintersmom

You can use any packaging for media mail. I use bubble mailers or reuse cardboard boxes I have lying around the house. Just write “Media Mail” on the package, and take it to the post office. You’ll have to go to the counter because the automated postal center doesn’t offer media mail as an option (boo!). OR you can print out media mail postage on PayPal and just pop the package in the parcel drop at the PO.

Half vs. Amazon…after reading nws2002′s comment, I think I will definitely give Amazon a whirl. $3.99 for shipping sounds sweet. Plus I’ll probably reach a wider audience on Amazon.

wintersmom

@nws2002 — according to the usps site, you can’t use the carrier pickup service for media mail packages only. you have to combine it with another package like a merchandise return, or priority mail. what’s your secret?! is your postal carrier just really nice?

nws2002

You can’t request carrier pickup unless you have a priority mail package. However if the items will fit in your mailbox they will pick it up when they deliver your mail. If I happen to sell more than 3 books at a time, that’s the max that will fit in my mailbox, then I take it to work and set it in the outbox there or drop it by the post office. Since the postage is already on the label if you use paypal you don’t have to wait in line, just drop it in the box.

I’ve never used Half.com, so I can’t compare it with Amazon.

wintersmom

@nws2002 — Oh interesting. Unfortunately I don’t have a mailbox, just a slot in the door.

misskittin

I like half.com for selling books, it seems like when I sold on Amazon the final fees they took made it so I was only breaking even, or losing money if you count the time it takes to do everything.
    Ebay is great but be careful to not undervalue your shipping costs, I lost money a few times and had to pay more to ship the item than I made on the item + shipping cost combined.
    I find craigslist to be full of flaky people, but I was just going to go list a piece of exercise equipment. Wish me luck!

Claycat

Good luck, misskittin! I just listed a large easel on craigslist today.

Sky

I’ve had really good luck with Craigslist. I always have the item in my garage so I don’t let strangers in my house. I use Craigslist for large items like furniture and appliances and anything I don’t want to mail.
    Half.com is the best for selling books.

akcorcoran

This is all so very useful! I am formulating a plan here.

So next question? Do you gather up a bunch of stuff and then list it all at the sanme time? Or process as you go? And do you gave a set place / pattern for taking pictures?

I know some of you have said it gets easier, so I’m wondering if having a process and SOP, as my husband always says – Standard Operating Procedure – is what makes it easier? I feel like it’s this ragtag thing I’d add on to the other 7 million things in my life and what if – gasp – I don’t ship on time or something and I get slammed with negative feedback!

It’s funny – because I’m a huge, regular eBay buyer. I show there for the girls’ stuff (new mostly but sometimes used if it’s not personal stuff). just ordered some handmade Barbie dresses there today, in fact! You’d think I’d be more comfortable about selling there.

Claycat

Alexa, I’m having the same problems. Several people have said to just start with one item to practice on and then increase as you feel more comfortable.

So… My husband has a day off tomorrow. I’m going to get him to sit with me while I post my first item to eBay. Aren’t I a big baby! LOL!

Have you read the information, posted on eBay, about selling items there? You can also find some videos on youtube that explain. Just do a search on Selling on eBay.

akcorcoran

Claycat, good luck! You can do it! I have read the stuff but it’s not the listing that gets me – honestly it’s:
    a) the storage of the items – I’ve had stuff in a box yo sell for over a month and it’s sitting on the floor of my living room bc then I’d HAVE to sell it bc it would be in my way and unsightly. Yeah, right.
    b) taking the pictures for the listing, especially because I’m a perfectionist.
    c). The shipping. I got no supplies & not much time to run back and forth to post office or ups.

But, I’m tech skilled and money is money! I can take clothes to consignment but I get a sinking feeling when it’s something I know is worth more!

P.s. (by the way, if you have a website or any hosted site, you can store pictures there and then they are free when you list instead of a fee. I wonder if you can use bit or tinyurls and track views?)

nellieb

For those of you debating your first listing on eBay or another place…my suggestion is to list so your listing starts Sunday evening, that’s a prime time for auctions to close and many people peruse eBay then. If you are selling items that can be used by businesses, such as computers for parts or for use, electrical equipment, office items, then beging your listing during a weekday so it ends on a weekday.

Sometimes I wait and then list 4 or 5 items at one time. Sometimes I list one item. I’ve got about 5 more items to list and then I should be caught up. I’ve resolved to get most of them on this weekend. I’ve got two sets of china and am thinking of getting a quote from replacements, inc…they have rock bottom prices but will buy the entire lot and after you’ve shipped it, you are done.

I live in Houston, Texas and if anyone wants listing assistance on eBay, you can email me at kim@drawerbydrawer.com and I will be happy to help you accomplish your first or second or whatever listing on eBay. You can check out my ratings and some of the items I’ve recently sold. My seller name is rosehilllady. I have one active listing now and as I said, will list some other items Sunday.

Another thing I do is write the listing whenever I feel like it and then use a feature to have the listing start on Sunday evening. It costs $0.10 more. However, on Sunday, I just go in and change that feature to list it immediately. This saves me the $0.10 fee and more importantly, the listing has been written and I am not overwwhelmed by having to do all my listings at one time.

Thanks, also, to those of you on this blog who have been reading and responding to my other one at http://drawerbydrawer.wordpress.com/. I still have lots of little items to clear out of my house, some of which will be listed on eBay, and others that I am going to donate.

akcorcoran – As far as packaging goes, save the packages from the items that you purchase for yourself. I buy CDs pretty regularly, and also ship CDs regularly, so I reuse the packaging that is in good shape. I have sold hundreds of items on ebay and only purchased a box ONCE. You would be surprised what you can use for packaging – you can make so many things work well! (And I get many compliments on my careful packaging, so it’s not like I make a mess or anything). Can you or your husband bring boxes home from work? I am able to take home old supply boxes, etc. My co-workers will bring me in boxes to use from items that they have purchased. Let me know if you have any questions!

akcorcoran

@themusiclivez, Gotcha. Thanks – that makes me feel better about the whole shipping situation.

And, duh, my husband works for a company that sells refurbished battery units of all sizes. They actually even have a machine that makes CUSTOM molds to hold things in place – right there in the warehouse. I’ll just have him bring some home. And, he ships out everyday but I should see which carrier.

It’s funny how this forum is helping to find the most obvious solutions that already exist in my life – from storage solutions to box supplies! No wonder I have clutter – I couldn’t connect the dots before! :-)

@Claycat, be sure to tell us when you’ve listed your item(s)!!! :-)

Claycat

Great advice!

@themusiclivez Thanks for the packing tips! I have some boxes ready. My SIL is giving me some, too. Some people dump boxes at the local paper recycling, so I can check that occasionally. I did packaging and shipping for an art gallery in the 90s, so I’m not too worried about that.

@nellieb I’ve checked you out at ebay already. :) Thanks for your posting tips!

@Alexa Thanks for the info on using a webhost for the photos. That makes a lot of sense/cents. LOL!

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone! You are becoming the wind in my sails! :)

You’re very welcome! Glad I could help :o) It saves so much money on shipping supplies, that’s for sure!

Claycat

Okay, the item I was going to put on eBay tonight? There is another cream pitcher just like it at a starting bid of $9.99. Dang! I was just going to go weigh it. I’ve already got it packed. Should I put it on at a starting price of $4.99, or put it aside and put something else on?

Added: I just noticed that their shipping charge is $14.90 priority mail. That seems like a lot. Maybe I can ship much less!

misskittin

It’s a delicate balance between shipping costs and item costs. Buyers often consider it as just one price. However, often times auctions with a higher start price and “free” shipping sell better. It’s a psychological thing as is listing items at the .99 roundoff price since 4.99 looks smaller than 5.00.

Claycat

Thanks, misskittin! I’m going to go weigh it and figure out which way to do it.

Another Deb

This thread has been so helpful! I get intimidated by all of the “professional” sellers and always feel like I will just twist in the wind.

Here’s a question for the experienced sellers. How often does an item go unsold? I look at items that I am interested in and it seems like no one has bid on most of them at any time in the listing.

akcorcoran

@Claycat, will it fit (well packed) in a flat rate shipping box from USPS? Per the posts in this thread, that would definitely be less. And on price, I do know sometimes slightly lower might entice bidding but just like any business, don’t sell yourself short! Is yours in same condition or new – look for differentiators and point that out in your auction. Plus, as an avid shopper, the pictures do make a difference.

You could start slightly lower and then add a buy it now which is the price that you’d accept to get ‘er done. I’m a lazy buy it now eBayer bc I hate to have to deal with auction pricing.

I actually use a free auction sniper called Gixen that bids with 6 sec remaining so I don’t drive up the price – not illegal at all but certainly not eBay’s favorite thing. Anyway, I only do that when I *must* bid so I always look for Buy It Now pricing.

Let us know what you decide!

Oh, and to the group on this post, hubby is fully on board with all sorts if boxes and access everyday to FedEx and UPS doing pickup at his business (and USPS obviously). Hey, maybe I’ll love this and become a professional seller!!! Not likely – but thanks for helping me connect the dots!

akcorcoran

Oh, and I had 6 eBay packages arrive today is US mail (my daughter’s bday is next week) – and guess what? One item arrived in a Frosted Cheerios box!!! So I guess you can ship in
    anything!

zchristy

Went through the same dilemma. I did a few auctions, and while they do get easier, I found it was not worth the hassle. Photographing, boxing, listing, weighing, emailing, shipping, waiting for people to pay…it is only worth it if you really enjoy the process. I found it a total pain in the butt. And that was with a friend who had an eBay Business helping me out.

I have a wonderful thrift store that supports a charity I believe in. I am very comfortable having more time and less money and donating the items for pittance of profit I might have made on eBay. But everybody has to make that call for themselves.

(Incidentally, my friend quit her incredibly successful eBay business because the lack of rights given to sellers. Pretty much sealed the deal for me.)

Another tip that I thought of today while at work: I take the cardboard backs of notepads and use them to package trading cards I send as well as CDs. It gives more support to protect the item and is something that I would ordinarily throw away at work!

Abeline

Even if I think I can get a few bucks for an item, I first think if it is worth more to me in trade. This most often happens with books.

Also, the new rules on eBay make it easy for a seller to get ripped off. I’ve migrated to Bonanzle and eCrater.

Claycat

Abeline, since I’m trying to start posting items on eBay, I would appreciate it if you would clarify what you said about the new rules on eBay. I guess I haven’t read them yet.

Thanks!

zchristy

My understanding from my friend is that the new rules on eBay make it possible for a buyer to give negative feedback to a seller, but not the other way around. There is no restitution for sellers who have who have winning bidders who don’t pay and buyers seem to have the real only rights in a sale.

Could be wrong, but this is what my friend who was a power seller told me.

Claycat

Whoa! That’s not good. Though I have to say, I bought something and paid immediately. I was not given feedback until I had given the seller their feedback. Other sellers always gave me feedback when I paid quickly.

I’m going to have to go check this out. It doesn’t sound good!

Sky

Yep, that’s how it is. As a seller, I can’t leave negative feedback so I never leave feedback until the buyer does. Ebay really changed their policies lately and not in favor of sellers. Most buyers are great but every once in a while I get a jerk. Postage has gone up so much and some people ask me to reduce what I charge. Unless I can clear at least $10, I just donate the item.

Claycat

Well, y’all have just about talked me out of it.

What am I supposed to do with all this stuff? Any other suggestions?

We are poor. My MIL is close to poor. We can’t donate it all to thrift shops. We’ve already given a lot of it away.

I’m sick of this economy. I’m sick of everything going up and up, and our salaries staying the same.

(I’ve pretty much hit bottom today. I’ve been angry all day. My husband asked me what was wrong with me, and I told him, “I hate my life!” That’s pretty much the way I’m feeling.)

Sky

Cheer up, sounds like you are overwhelmed and you have good reason, you have been decluttering for a while. Lots of decisions to make and crap to deal with.

Ebay isn’t all bad. I’ve sold a lot of stuff on it. I made $286.00 this month selling stuff I had that I didn’t want.

Why don’t you try listing a couple of items and see how it goes?

akcorcoran

@Claycat, it sounds like you have hit an Uncluttering plateau – and for good reason. I think it is draining and a bit frustrating to have these piles of stuff that you now have decided you should remove through uncluttering – and then not only are you not sure how you should get rid of it all, but also I find it depressing to either: a) know I just wasted money if it’s something I bought and now am getting rid of or b) no matter where it came from, it’s got value but I can’t figure out how to try to actually leverage that.

Also, I want to say that you have provided invaluable support to me – just a newcomer last week to these boards! – as I’ve been trying to start this process, so know that outside of this economy, you’re making a difference and paying it forward in a different way. Not as good as a fat paycheck, I know, but important because sometimes it just feels like a grind.

It’s hard also not to feel like you’ve done all this uncluttering but it’s not PRISTINE – roomy, clutter free, like a room in the magazines! I still look at things and know I put it in a place that shouldn’t be its final resting home but I just can’t do it all right now.

Is there a friend or family member that you could decide to do eBay with together – I know you were talking about your husband, but someone who could come over and you two could make it fun? You and he / she both gather up ALL your eBay items for one fun eBay Blitz session! One can take pictures, the other can line up the listings, then work together (I think it’s a little fun to decide what you put in the listing to make it sound compelling!) Have a laugh, tell the stories of the things, make it a social time – and in my scenario – I’d also have a glass of wine!

That might lighten the burden of doing it, but you’ll still achieve the first listings on eBay. If it doesn’t sell in the first batch, you’ll know that it’s not worth your time. Since Sunday is the best time to list for regular consumer things, then if you do a Sunday afternoon, you’d be perfect.

Other ideas:
    - Is there any decent clothes consignment store near you? I take mine to one around the corner – and I probably could get more if I sold each item individually on eBay but I don’t have the time. I get a check from her once a quarter – and it’s a pittance compared to what I spent on the clothes but I still feel good all the same! And, best part for me, what she doesn’t think will sell, SHE takes to Goodwill which lightens the burden on me and is also likely the same scenario for eBay or elsewhere.
    - Do you have Junior League or community home consignment shop? Sometimes you can take things there and they’ll sell – again, you only get a small percentage.
    - A group garage / tag sale? The idea of having one myself is immediately draining – even though we could sell about 1,000 things. But, i did one with my neighbors once and it was easy and fun.

In the end, even if you don’t decide to sell it on eBay, or actually no matter what you’re feeling, you can come here to get support and tell us that you had a rock bottom day. We don’t know you personally but can send you digital Uncluttering hugs because we’ve all been there before – and likely will be there again.

(Hug)
    Alexa

Claycat

Thanks, Sky & Alexa! I appreciate the moral support. And…I appreciate all the advice, Alexa. Unfortunately, I don’t have such a person, Alexa. I’ve been in this itty bitty town in central Texas for 12 years, and I haven’t really made any friends. There are some nice people, but it is a very closed town. I’m still considered an outsider. I have good friends, but they are far away.

My husband did say something nice today. He told me to learn how to do eBay and teach it to him. He said then he can quit his job, and we can do it together. With the shipping costs going up like they are, I don’t know if that is feasible.

I posted a large easel on craigslist yesterday. A guy in Austin sent me an email saying he liked the easel, but it would cost him the price I was charging to come pick it up. Gasoline, like postage, is totally unreasonable.

Sky, I was encouraged by what you’ve said you made this month.

Thanks for putting up with me! Hugs back!

You may not see me for a couple of days. I’m not coming back until I’ve put something on eBay.

akcorcoran

@Claycat – That’s what we’re here for…

I’m sorry my suggestion won’t work out for you – I haven’t actually done it myself but it sounds like a great idea! LOL. What if you and your husband try to make an evening or a bit of time to do it together each week? You can learn together while you do it – which is actually nice husband/wife time outside of the whole issue of selling?

Or, since you have found an online community, maybe we can try to set up our own challenge where those of us trying to (or actively eBaying) start a thread where we post one item (or as many as we can) a week and then share our auction to show our success! We’ll be your eBay Blitz buddies!

I hit an eBay roadblock today when I went with new determination because of this thread to list these Ariat Riding Boots that I have brand new (NIB) and figured out they don’t make this style # anymore. Mind you, I didn’t realize this until I had built the WHOLE listing – went to pull a picture from Google and realized I couldn’t find one b/c they don’t make it anymore. Not sure if anyone would buy them… bugger.

That’s great about Craigslist! Maybe you should put things on Craiglist first, then if no takers, do eBay since it’s more effort?

Three final thoughts –

First, if you decide to do more eBay listing, there are sites and softwares out there that make it easier so you don’t have to do the same thing every time. I’m sure some of the more active sellers here on this thread can tell you more about them.

I’m not sure if you’re on a Mac but I got this iSale software (downloaded) for $29 and it is the ONLY reason I think I can do this. It has templates for the different types of auctions (or you create your own with their easy tool), then it keeps all your info so it’s reloaded into new auctions, has this research assistant thing that immediately finds your item for price comparison and creates an auction in one click with the pictures or info. Was worth the $ for sure – and I know when I have made sales, the price goes higher when the appeal of the auction is higher.

Second, I know you are an artist and mentioned that you have a lot of art, your children’s art and now your grandson’s, right? Have you ever thought about selling keepsakes made of your art as a side business? Two websites I use – http://zazzle.com and http://cafepress.com sell cards or other designs that people make – and hand-made art cards or notebooks or more are very popular. You set your commission price. Or, take your handmade works and create something special that could be sold on etsy.com since it features handmade crafts. Oh, and it’s very easy to order linen or fancier cards these days that you could make into a box set and take to local retailers to see if they would sell them? If art is your passion, then you’ll feel energized to create a few possible channels to distribute products and make a small amount of side money. Just some ideas…

Last thought … it’s been a tough day – surrender to it, go to bed, give up all exhaustion and emotion and frustration in your sleep, and begin again tomorrow. I’m from North Carolina, and my mom have always had this ritual when either of us had a bad day… at the end of the day, we’d go to bed with a silly smile, work up our best overthetop southern accent, and say in the immortal words of Scarlett O’Hara framed against the sunset, “After all… tomorrow is another day.”

:o)

Claycat

Thanks, Alexa! You are a sweetheart!

I’m already registered with Etsy. I’m looking forward to making art.

nellieb

*Another Deb, you asked how often items go unsold on eBay.

A lot!

I have often listed an item two times, then hold back for a few months, and try again if I haven’t disposed of it.

On the other hand, some items usually sell quite well…such as electronics, camera and photographic equipment, and items that are still new in box or with tags/labels that are priced way under retail mark up.

Claycat, I, too, live in Texas, where in Central Texas are you? Send me an email with contact information or your email address and I’ll send you my phone number, and I am happy to walk you through listing items on eBay. I’ve been doing it since 2001 and sold over 1,000 items. Speaking of which…I’ve got a bid on an embroidery kit that was an impulse purchase last year…so it will be going out the door soon! And tomorrow afternoon is my eBay listing day!

To answer some questions about ebay not supporting its sellers: I feel this way too. I am a Power Seller on ebay and am constantly trying to “head problems off” before they start. For example, a friend of mine sold a $10 item and mailed it with delivery confirmation. The buyer said they never received it, opened a dispute with PayPal, and my friend had the $10 removed from her account. She called up PayPal and provided the Tracking Number on the Delivery Confirmation. PayPal then refunded her the money. This is scary because what if the item had been a lot more expensive? PayPal shouldn’t be able to just remove money from a seller’s account. Now I mail all items over $15 with Delivery Confirmation and charge more for shipping in my auctions.

nellieb

themusiclivez, I, too, send almost all of my items with delivery confirmation and include that cost in my shipping.

eBay has provided great extra cash for me. My only dissatisfaction is that I am no longer able to rate buyers negatively. I have done this perhaps 5 times in 9 years. When a buyer does not pay, I believe the Seller should be able to post that as a warning to other sellers.

PrairieGal

If you want to unclutter, but you want to make some money, have a garage sale or sell on Craiglist or something less complicated than Ebay. Our local used bookstore will give you cash for books (dvs, cds) OR trade 2-for-1. So you either declutter and get cash or decrease by 50% and get new stuff.

nellieb – I completely agree. I emailed ebay when they took away our ability to give negative feedback and told them that they are messing with the “Checks and Balances”. I explained to them that now buyers feel no urgency to pay on time (or at all) because there are hardly any consequences. Of course, I got a generic robotic-style email response back from them. It’s sad.

akcorcoran

Hi folks – back again.

OK, super frustrated b/c my eBay pile is building up and I just haven’t managed to list anything. Not sure this is the way to go for me, but I buy on eBay every week so I should be able to do it!

Anyway, here’s my question – for books, can you list on both Amazon and eBay or just one? And, is there a different value – should I look it up on both first to see how much it’s going for?

Second question was if I want the Craigslist route – how do you take payment? Can I use Paypal or do I need to take cash/check? I’m a little squeamish about people coming to my house so can I insist on shipping?

Thanks for MORE advice – I so appreciate it!

akcorcoran

Eek – another question – Can you tell I am actually trying to do this with at least the books?

What are remainder marks?

And, lastly, I have this whole *motherload* of books on having babies and the first years of care – covering all sorts of things: naming, What to Expect, sleeping, etc. Should I sell individually or as lot through regular eBay auction?

Thx, y’all!

akcorcoran – This is how I decide where to list books/DVDs/CDs. I check completed listings on ebay and see how many of the book I want to sell has sold in the last two weeks. If none of have sold I either list it on ebay for 30 days or list on amazon.com because amazon.com leaves your listing up for a long time. However, I find that amazon.com’s fees are high so I really try to sell on ebay more.

I wouldn’t list on both sites at the same time because there is always that chance that you forget that you have a listing up and sell two of something you only have one of!

Also keep in mind that half.com (an afiliate of ebay) is an option. It has an amazon.com-like setting and you don’t pay to list items you just pay commission upon the sale.

akcorcoran

Hi again –

OK, wait, so there is a difference between selling on eBay or selling on Half.com – or do they cross register? Is one an “auction” where the other is just a book listing?

It’s tricky because I’m intimidated by the sellers on Amazon.com – look way more official than I am. On the other hand, I definitely look at those when I’m buying books from Amazon, which is where I buy 99% of my books?

OK, now for my latest comedy for the group – How funny is it that THIS is one of the books that I finally managed to put on half.com (despite being well under $10)?
    http://bit.ly/aXLiKu

(Hint: Too Busy To Clean?…) Ha! Sooooooooo ironic! :oD

nellieb

List your books as lots if you want to move them faster…I’ll list several by the same author or a series or two that are related.

The nice thing about eBay is that you can input the ISBN and they often have a photo and description so all you have to add are a few lines about the condition, if it’s from a smoke free home, and anything else you wish to.

Remainders usually have a black slash mark across the top of bottom of the book, covering all the pages.

You should also indicate whether a book is a book club edition and if you know if it is the first printing, because I often have potential buyers ask me that.

Half.com and amazon.com have listings whereas ebay allows you to have an auction or a buy it now price. With half.com you need to have an ebay username and you get feedback on your ebay username but it is the same setup as amazon.com. And you can also input ISBN numbers for the site to pull up your book. There are fewer steps on half.com and it is really simple to do and very self-explanatory. Ebay is bit more tedious for a new seller.

Try not to be too intimidated by more experienced sellers! You will get there one day :o) I am not a big seller on amazon.com but even when I started out people gave me a chance. Just be very honest about the items you are selling, ship quickly, and you will be fine!

If you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to ask!

akcorcoran

Argh – I appreciate all the info but now I’m even more confused, plus perplexed about pricing. On Ebay, I see people with the same Buy It Now price with condition of Acceptable – all the way up to Very Good! Price seems higher on half.com plus only 7 people selling same book. Prices for same book higher (by $2 – $3 or so – which as a percentage is much higher) on Amazon. So, how do I figure out *where* to list and how to price?

And, when I read specs for Very Good, etc. it sounds like I’ve been way too conservative. None of these books have any marking in them, remainder marks, many don’t even have binding cracked – if anything the cover is a little dull or has evidence of being shelved, but not scratched or anything.

I’m sorry to push out more about my confusion – but I have about 50 books in a box next to me and then (gulp) 4 HUGE bins of books from my Masters degree. I mean about 60 – 80, up to 100 in each bin! I think for those am I better for half.com because that’s where people look?

Or, sigh, do I just pick one and go there for all of them? I do ALL my book buying at Amazon – period. Don’t know if that’s the most common place or if I should stick with eBay or Half.com.

Eek! :o&

p.s. one last thing – if I DO sell on Amazon, is there a way to set my name so it’s not my personal name?

p.s.2 – How do I know if it’s a First Edition? If in the printing information it doesn’t say anything? Or should the ISBN tell me?

akcorcoran

Oh, and @NellieB, can the lots be sort of loosely related – like “Fun Reading” or “Beach Books” or “Chick Lit” (is that last one offensive?) For example, I have (all next to me on the couch right now – all in v. good or like new, I guess?):
    Bridget Jones Diary (paperback)
    Divine Secrets of YaYa (paperback)
    4 Blondes (Candace Bushnell) – hardback
    I Don’t Know How She Does It – hardback
    babyville – hardback

Would that be a good lot? And, how would I price it? And, if a lot, I can’t use any pictures through the automatic book feature, right (when you put in the title or ISBN number?)

Thx for all your help -

akcorcoran – Textbooks (in my opinion) sell best on half.com. They aren’t usually in high demand so it’s better to list those on a site where you can leave it up for an extended period of time without a fee. Fiction usually sells best on amazon.com. If you have any books that are currently popular (for example, a new release) then I recommend ebay!

These are all things that I have found throughout the years. I definitely think that you can list loosely related lots on ebay. I see that done a lot!

Claycat

Themusiclivez, do discarded library books sell okay? They aren’t in bad condition, but they have markings and library pockets (or places where pockets were). I was planning to group some of them in a lot for eBay.

Claycat – I haven’t sold any discarded library books before but see them up for sale often on amazon.com! I think the best way to sell them is in a group, like you mentioned. Just as long as you describe them carefully you shouldn’t have a problem selling them! Some people are turned off from buying library books (I am one of them, just because I know that they have been in the hands of a lot of people) but to many people it has no impact at all.

akcorcoran

Thanks, so much. I think I’ll grab all these books and step back here to organize. Then, maybe I’ll feel less overwhelmed. I know I’ll put the textbooks on half.com – I think that’s the right move, esp because it’s a go to when a book is hard to find (and then i make more money – whee!)

On the rest, I guess I just need to sort and figure out how they fall in the model you suggested above. It looks like on Amazon they sell for more but the fees ARE high – is it $0.99 to post + 15% of the sale?

I get stuck in the pricing too much. I was thinking about the lot I mentioned above, but should I look up each book individually and then sort of add those up but discount a little? I’m afraid if I start at $0.99, I’ll get that! And, I get bogged down in picking a Buy It Now price always.

Sigh. I need about an extra day a week to figure out and do this! Not gonna happen! Figured at least I could do the books during TV time with the girls but it’s even taking longer than I thought. :0(

^One other suggestion: If you list a group of books together on ebay, you can always list it as “Buy It Now or Best Offer”. That way the buyers have the chance to purchase the items at the amount you have, or they can make you an offer. You can then take time to decide if the offer is fair!

akcorcoran

That’s a good suggestion. I seriously think I could do this – I have the stuff and the tech know how, but my decision making is my problem. (That’s how I ended up in this mess in the first place.) I sort of get turned around and unsure of what i should choose for the price – or where to list now – and then put it back in the box for “another day.” Panic clutter, maybe I’ll call it!

I know it shouldn’t be so hard but how are things I have not on eBay – is that a good thing or bad thing? I have Clifford Sound Bingo (Scholastic) brand new (factory sealed) – it’s on amazon, but not on eBay. Should I do the former then? Or go for eBay b/c less fees and it IS the only one?

And, when should I group together – have Fisher Price Digital Arts Studio (opened) and then a new Barbie Fairytopia software (unopened) – should I sell separately or group together? Prices for this stuff are all over the place!

Not necc looking for advice on these specifically, just indicating the rabbit hole I’m falling down, down, down…

I think that when an item ISN’T listed on ebay, it could be a rarity. I usually list items such as these for 30 day Buy It Nows. You can always ask a little more than you expect to get and see if people are watching/have looked at your item. If you have a lot of viewers, but no buyers, I would add the “or best offer” option. This is usually what I do!

Claycat

Thanks, themusiclivez!

Indecisiveness is my major problem, too, Alexa. Are you a Libra, too?

akcorcoran

No, Aries – I should be bull headed but I’ve been burned so many times that now I’m just a waffling Aries! The worst b/c I’m impulsive about BUYING but indecisive about REMOVING. Sigh!

Claycat

Woo Hoo! I just signed up to be a seller on eBay. I’m nearly there!

akcorcoran

Hooray, Hooray! Great job … you are indeed on your way!!! Or at least may meet me on the path of indecisiveness and confusion! :-D

p.s. Now my husband that this is an easy, grand ‘ol plan and has started bringing home things from his office that I can just “pop” on eBay – ink cartridges for printers he no longer has, speaker set to a computer that’s gone, etc. G-R-E-A-T. Just what I need!

nellieb

Just start listing a few items. Group the books in any type of lots you want. If you have a lot of textbooks, do a search for book companies that specialize in buying textbooks. You might be able to sell all of them as a lot to a technical book company and be done with it! Saving time…which equates into money.

My suggestion is to begin with either something that is new (so you can list as New in Box, or NEW, in original shrinkwrap) or something that sells on eBay. (Do an advanced search for the items and look for the prices in green ink…those are the final sale price.)

The only thing that matters is that you list one thing now! Stop agonizing over how to group items or where to put them! Just list one item on eBay so you get the feel for it and I agree that you can also consider listing as a BUY IT NOW or Best Offer…I do this frequently. It allows people who want an item to purchase it on the spot rather than going through the bidding process. They will forget!

Final comment…once you begin to list on eBay, you will be notified about listing specials. Take advantage of these! Sometimes there is a one day special and you get the subtitle for free. Or the listing fees are reduced to 5 cents per listing. When I see those specials, I put on as many items as I can, particulary when the special is for a lower listing fee.

Good luck!

P.S. I just wrote again in my personal blog about the common ways to convert clutter into cash!

akcorcoran

@nellieb, OK – I think I can, I think I can. Claycat, can you?

I did sell a few things in December (namely a mini-Boden coat that was too big for my daughter and went for $62!) It was a rush and definitely helped me recoup the investment. So, I know I can do it.

I do need to get over analysis paralysis. After my daughter’s bday this weekend (good lord, more clutter!), I’m going to have the time to line ‘em up and put ‘em out there. I need to think – any $ is better than no $ and this clutter. Right? I may sell some for too low but at least they are gone and money is in my Paypal account.

Thanks for tips! I didn’t know about searching completed listings until this thread – that’s super helpful. And, didn’t know that final prices were in green OR about listing specials! See, I’m an eBay expert already thanks to you!

I think I can… I think I can…

P.S. How can I get to your personal journal to read more! :-)

Claycat

Alexa, here is her link. I bookmarked it, so I can check for new posts.

http://drawerbydrawer.wordpress.com/

Thanks for the encouragement, you nice people! :)

Where would I sell collector, vintage, and antique books? Thanks!

Claycat

Alexa, these people buy textbooks. You might check to see what they offer.

http://buyback.abebooks.com/

Claycat

Alibris is a place to sell books, music, and movies. Has anyone had any experience with them?

http://www.alibris.com/sellers/casual-sellers

misskittin

Whatever you do don’t try to sell textbooks to bookbyte.com, they will try to scam you!
    I got an email from ebay saying that up to 100 listings a month will be free to list starting March 30th if you start the price under 99 cents.

akcorcoran

Thx for the tips on the textbooks! I’m going to be snowed in here in Baltimore this weekend so I’m going to use the time to Unclutter!

charmed2482

wow this all seems like way to much work, I hate trying to sell stuff. I either let my boyfriend post it up for sale at work, sold a bike that way, or just drop off the stuff at goodwill, or post it on Freecycle and let someone come pick it up.

katmeowrine

Hi, I’m an ebay seller and now I’m creating my own website. I should have focused on what I already have but instead I started to buy stuff to sell. Let’s just say my garage is full of merchandise and boxes for sending.

I belong to stamps.com which is thru United Postal Service. Through them I got a scale, stamps to print on and more. There is a service fee per month but between the saving of printing (my price is lower than USPS) and not having to go to the post ofice all the time, its’ worth it.

If you have a priority shipment and/or international shipping you can order a pick up. I have a great mail person that will pick up as long as I have the flag up on my mail box. Otherwise order it online. If an item is less than 13 oz you can drop it off in the front lobby of the post office.

For large items I recommend using Craigslist.com. Then you can find local sellers. I haven’t used them yet, but it’s free and a great resource.

My ebay store is: http://stores.ebay.com/Kats-Purrfect-Boutique?_rdc=1

Claycat

Cool ebay store, katmeowrine! Thanks for the heads up on stamps.com.

akcorcoran

Hi everyone! Sorry for the radio silence – digging out of “Snowmageddon” here in the mid-Atlantic!

@katmeowrine, is there an advantage to having a store versus just listing items to sell? And, when you buy stuff – do you look for discounts / sales on items you know you can sell at full price? Or tag / garage sales? Not necc going to pursue it, but I’ve always been curious?

@all, feeling pretty great b/c I finally managed to list something – and I have a bidder! I was nervous b/c the item is old and there is a newer style of the boots (that are honestly better) but I priced accordingly and someone bid right away. To all the eBayers, do you think I need to contact the bidder (towards the end) to be SURE they know that it’s the older style of boots? I thought I was really clear and upfront about the style number and the slight rubs in the boots. And, it says no returns? I’m just not sure of seller etiquette (though no one has ever contacted me about an item). Listing is here:
    http://bit.ly/aQEeJW

Might use snow day to list some more!

Claycat

That’s great that you have a bidder, Alexa! Maybe it is a good idea to post info like that in the description. However, sometimes people bid on something that is an older style, because they had some like it and really liked them.

I finally posted my first item last night!

Claycat

I checked your listing again. You had the numbers and everything and good photos. Your bidder probably doesn’t need anymore info. The listing looks good!

akcorcoran

@Claycat – that’s great! Got a listing?

I’m glad you think it’s clear and pictures are good – Thanks! The format is from this iSale software that I have. Do all the eBayers out there think it makes a difference? Can’t tell if it’s worth using?

Still perplexed on books.

OH, one thing to share! I invested in something that I think will make eBay listing a whole lot easier. I take A LOT of digital photos of my family but struggle with getting the photos off quickly, SO I had looked into an Eye-Fi SD card – that’s the SC card that actually sends the pictures wirelessly to your computer via the Internet. Website is http://www.eye.fi/ – you can learn more or buy there but they are also sold on Amazon and other electronic websites (probably eBay too). I invested in one of the higher models b/c I also do video and wanted more options, but the lower level start at a very reasonable price.

Anyway, the KEY is that when I take a picture on my dig camera, it sends it to the computer. Great for kids but ALSO fabulous for eBay! It’s why I finally got those boots up there. There’s no hassle of taking pictures for eBay! I took out the boots – shot them. Walked back to my computer and they were already there. Dropped in template and posted. I think now I could line up all the items and take pics so they are all on hand as I sit down to put up listings.

For those of you who are eBay gurus and/or have stores, it might be really useful!

Claycat

I got my first bid! YAY! I’m so excited!

Here’s the listing.

http://tinyurl.com/yguznr6

Alexa, I was checking out iSale. It is almost $40. I was sad, because turbo lister is free to PC users on ebay, but there is nothing for Mac users. I guess I will just list each one myself. I guess I would buy iSale if I decided to do this on an ongoing basis. Who knows? That could happen! Though, I think I will be so happy everything is gone, I may not want to continue. I guess I will have to wait and see how I feel about it.

akcorcoran

That’s terrific. Umm… even though I am *supposed* to be cleaning out clutter, I could really use that for a small watering pitcher for plants. Can it be used or is it just decorative?

iSale is terrific – I got it from a MacHeist bundle sale (about 8 softwares for $25) but I’ll check and see if there are any coupons out there. If you do keep going, I would recommend it. It will do the search for you (both eBay and Google) and then create an auction for you in one click, plus let you pull pictures from anywhere right into a drag and drop template. Also keeps your information in a template for shipping, return and payment policy, etc. Even timing of auctions if you want.

Since it’s supposed to snow another 10 – 20 inches here in the mid-Atlantic, I’m going to try to line up some items to eBay! I checked all my books and some of the more common (no real value on these book sites), I decided I’m just going to donate to the library. It’s not worth the clutter. Will try to sell the more valuable and texts from my Master’s program. I bought most all of my books on Half.com so I know academics buy there. I had over 100 books (more like 150 to 200) for each specialty – and I had four!

Claycat

LOL! Alexa! It is serving ware. It can be used. I don’t know how the spout would be for watering plants. :)

I guess I will have to get busy and put a bunch of things on eBay.

Claycat

Whoa! Someone else bid it up to $10! I wasn’t expecting that! :)

oklagirl

I’m so glad I found this thread! Like others, I have trouble with the decluttering AND removal of decluttered stuff!) I’ve had four shopping bags of books sitting in front of the bookshelves they were removed from for a week now. Donate? Give away? Freecycle? Craigslist? Agony of indecision! After reading this posting I remembered Powell’s (powells.com). It’s a huge bookstore in Portland, OR that buys books online. You enter the ISBN’s and the site tells you if it will buy your books, and for how much. You get a choice of credit (always more $) or a paypal payment. You can even print a FREE shipping label.
    The books do have to be in good condition. I’ve never sold textbooks, so I don’t know what the prices are for those. I just got an offer of $12 for 6 paperbacks. More than the used bookstore would offer me, and I get it as soon as they receive the books. Thanks to you all for motivating me to DO it. Now, to find a box…:)
    (P.S. I don’t get any compensation from Powell’s, I just love their service. And I can’t wait to actually visit their store someday!)

Claycat

$12 for 6 paperbacks is good! They pay far less than that at Half-Price Books in Austin.

I have a lot of art books, auction catalogs, yearbooks, cookbooks, etc. to sell. I think most of them will do well on eBay.

PrairieGal

I’ve been following this string, and I’m going to try Ebay. I have few items, took pictures, no I just need to post the ad. I have one question tho. I’m in Canada, so I can choose between posting in CAD or USD. It say I will likely get more bids if I post in USD. So is there a disadvantage to posting in USD? Do I need a USD bank account?

akcorcoran

Hi all –

Good news! During the storm I *did* sell a book on half.com! $6.00 too – for a paperback that is going for $10.17 brand new from Amazon. Hooray! So, for media mail, I just put in anything and can I mark media mail and do I have to take to post office? Thanks for the help!

Now, I hoped to post more stuff on eBay during the snowstorm(s) but never got to it. Bummer b/c I think a lot of folks were shopping while shut in. Anyway, 10 Watchers on the boots I did post, so that’s good! Hopefully, they’ll pop in there at the end and bit it up a little more.

@okagirl, thanks for the tip on powells. Between that and abebooks (thanks, @claycat), I feel like I can get a barometer on whether it’s worth my time to try to sell them. And, I’ve decided if not worth anything (or selling for super cheap with lots of copies available), I’m going to donate to the library.

@claycat, your item is very nice – I’m not surprised it’s getting bids – I’m betting you’ll get more b/c they always come in right at the end.

Alexa

akcorcoran

OK, all – Now I feel like a total loser – I just sold the book and printed the label via Paypal. What comes up but two links for ordering FREE SUPPLIES for USPS from both eBay and the post office. Duh – well that takes care of that problem!!!

Here they are:

Free eBay / USPS co-branded:
    http://ebaysupplies.usps.com/

Free USPS supplies:
    https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/TopCategoriesDisplay?storeId=10052&catalogId=10001

Huh. Well, THAT makes it easier!

Question for you eBayers – if I just get the priority mail stickers and then print a priority mail label, can I send any box or package? just trying to deal with the whole “Get it Fast” option. thx!

Sky

akcorcoran….You can use any box for priority mail and put the priority mail stickers on all sides. I find it easiest to order flat fee boxes from the post office (free), fit my item to a box before I list it on ebay and charge accordingly. For small items the fee is $4.35 so I charge $6.00. I try to make a little on postage to cover my ebay and paypal fees.

akcorcoran

Thanks, @Sky – I ordered the boxes and will do that. Ordered the labels just in case something comes in a box and I just want to use that. Thanks for the tip!

akcorcoran

Wow! Someone just did Buy It Now on my listing for $50 purchase! YES! This is sort of exhilarating – now I know why y’all do it! :-)

Claycat

Congrats, Alexa!

akcorcoran

Hmmmm — now she hasn’t paid yet? Is that normal?

Claycat

Some people ask buyers to pay within 5 days. Some less. I didn’t say on mine. That is something I will have to remember next time.

The bidding finished on the item I posted. It has given me real incentive to post more items. The final bid was far more than I would have guessed.

Thank you for your earlier bid, nws2002. :)

akcorcoran

Claycat, that’s terrific! I’m glad your effort was rewarded – you should feel great about that! And, one more thing out the door, right?

I do usually say 3 days for payment – and durn if I forgot that in this auction template. bugger! I want to have that money in my account!

Alexa

akcorcoran

Phew – buyer for my auction finally paid (after a fairly stern “Please pay or email if there is a problem” message). It’s all packed up to ship today. Doing label should have been easy but I signed up for the UPS account to get discounted rates and then it turned out to be a pain. I had transferred money out of Paypal account and it wouldn’t make the label unless I paid from Paypal, so it just wouldn’t let me do the label. Had to go into UPS online directly to do it. Whole thing took about an hour when it should have taken 5 minutes! (I saw there are some complaints on the Paypal forums about this!)

Question for the eBay crowd – what happens if you change shipping methods? It would have been easier to just send USPS Priority Mail after all that, but is it frowned upon to change b/c you’ve charged for the other method? Would you have to refund the difference?

Anyway, I have some other stuff to post, including a Marc Jacobs leather bomber jacket that was my husband’s, so hopefully I can figure out how to be more efficient at this. Still a lot of work to me but it’s nice to recoup funds.

Sky

akcorcoran, I find the easiest way with shipping is to calculate what it will run you before starting the auction. If it will fit in a flat rate box it is so much easier. When you list your item and your shipping charge, you will know exactly what it will cost you. I always add an additional few dollars to my shipping amount so I cover my materials, etc. As long as they know what I’m charging before they bid I make no excuses for my charges. Also, I make it clear, where I will ship for that amount and to contact me if you want an item shipped overseas.

When the auction ends and you are paid, click on “print shipping label” which will take you to Paypal where you pay for your postage and print your label.

I have “Palpal is my preferred method of payment and payment is expected when auction ends” on all my listings. If someone doesn’t pay within 3 days, I email them and tell them payment is expected at the end of the auction and ask when and how they will be paying.

It just takes a few times to get the hang of it.

akcorcoran

Yes, that is what I did – and in the past, I’ve had no problem printing the shipping label. The issue was that I signed up for that UPS program where you get an account and then you get lower rates (but could charge the regular rate, I guess). It was a total pain – and I’ve never had a problem. I had entered the weight and dimensions, etc. so the auction was calculating exact shipping – and, in the end, it cost what she had paid, just wouldn’t let me print the label through Paypal. I had to go back in and do the tracking number since I had to print it through UPS. I wonder if it’s a current glitch or something.

I ordered flat rate boxes from USPS and may switch to that. I also haven’t been charging for handling (for materials) which I probably should, I guess.

Do you do the thing where if they do “Buy It Now,” immediate payment is required? I don’t know if that scares off buyers or doesn’t’ matter matter b/c if they do Buy It Now, they’ll pay anyway?

And, how long to you give them to pay if it’s not required for a regular auction?

I can tell it will take me a while to get the hang of it! :-)

annkb

If your books, CDs, or DVDs are not worth the price you can get to sell them on eBay, I suggest using a trade website like http://www.swaptree.com where you can post items that you have and make a wish list of items you want. When you initiate a trade or someone else does, all you have to do is pay a low fee for shipping your item by Media Mail. I’ve used it several times to get books I’ve wanted and get rid of CDs and books I no longer use.

Claycat

Alexa, I mailed mine today, too. I used USPS parcel post. I printed the label online and added delivery confirmation and insurance. I just took it to the post office. Unless I have something too big or too heavy, I imagined I will always use USPS.

One thing! It didn’t print my label at first. I had to go in and undo the Block Pop-up Windows command.

akcorcoran

@annkb, that’s a great idea! I have never heard of trade websites or swaptree. Good tip!

@Claycat, glad your experience was easier (as mine usually is)! I just got all fancy with signing up for the UPS account which bungled the whole thing when printing through eBay. I have no problem printing those labels and sure get at it with the tape but the UPS to eBay handoff was not a smooth thing. The forums are abuzz with the problems so I’ll surely avoid for the next items. Got your next item to list on eBay? Just curious…

To ebay or NOT to ebay…hmmm….I am really in favour of ebay, especially for “specialty” items, like equestrian gear. I personally sell figure skating items and they go all over the world. The problem I used to have: don’t keep more items on hand then you can ebay(get rid of!) within a reasonable amount of time. Ebay items can take over your house, if you let them! Ebay is a great way to de-clutter your house. Good luck and don’t be afraid to request your buyers to pay you by a certain time frame.

I decided to let go of about 75 books just recently. I was able to sell them to abebooks.com and cash4books.net. You type in the ISBNS, they tell you how much (if anything) they’ll give you for them, you package them up and ship them. They inspect them and put the money into your paypal account (or send you a check) about 24 hours about receiving. They will also pay for your FexEd/UPS postage!

It was a relatively easy way to make some extra cash and help me unclutter at the same time.

The great part was that, like some of you, I can’t stand having to ship stuff, and luckily, FedEx and UPS will both pick up your packages from you.

Claycat

Alexa, I have been photographing and weighing stuff. I was going to post something tonight, but I just can’t get going. (I had a setback yesterday. I had to put my dog to sleep.)

Claycat

I put some more stuff on eBay. I guess I will just keep on keeping on.

I have a lady coming to look at some vintage cookbooks tomorrow. She heard I was going to start selling some on eBay, and she wanted to see what I have. I hope she will buy some!

akcorcoran

Claycat, keep us posted. I’m very interested to hear about how your meeting about the vintage cookbooks went? I’m sorry to hear about your dog – it’s losing a family member, I know, and you have to let yourself grieve.

To everyone – I have two more questions:

1) What qualifies as vintage?

2) What is the typical percentage of an “eBay consultant”?

I ask these because my next-door neighbor has a whole room full of clothes and shoes that she has nothing to do with, all are in large part, high-end designer pieces, many Chanel and the like. I told her that I would be willing to sell them for her if we worked together, but I’d like to know what folks charge for that kind of work.

Thanks!

Claycat

Alexa, I know that Lynn Dralle, thequeenofauctions, says she won’t do commission selling anymore except occasionally for relatives, and she charges them 50%. I’m getting 30% for selling for my MIL. I wouldn’t charge her 50%.

You can find people on eBay that will sell on consignment. You might ask them what they charge. I would say 50% if I were going to do it.

I was looking up “vintage” the other day. Most vintage is from the 50s or 60s, even the 70s. I’m going to sell some early 70s cookbooks as vintage.

I sold the lady three cookbooks for $10. That was really estate sale prices. However, they might or might not have sold on eBay, and I was ready to let them leave the house.

I have sorted out some more things that, for one reason or another, would be hard to sell on eBay, so I’m making another trip to the thrift shop this week.

Also, I’m putting some large things up on craigslist this week. I don’t want to ship really big stuff.

Thanks for the kind words about my sweet doggie. :)

Akcorcoran, I sold full time on eBay for years (becky740) 30-50% is the standard. Of the profit, not the closing price. Make sure to figure out all the fees involved. Or you could just charge her an hourly rate. Check the Vintage Discussion Board and Frequently Asked Questions, but you can call ’80s clothing “vintage.” I mean, everyone called Julia Roberts’ black and white Valentino dress she wore to the Oscars the year she won “vintage” and it was only a couple of years old! Be sure to get help on the Clothing and Accessories, Shoes, and Vintage Discussion Boards – those people will help you come up with keywords to include and other things you may not think of – it’s always very friendly and helpful over there.

I want to get a peek at that CHANEL! That would be very dangerous for me to assist her – I’d probably wind up keeping half of it!

Claycat

Thanks, thebubbreport! That was helpful to me as well!

nellieb

I charge 40% commission of the net amount. The client has to cover all expenses.

Sometimes I’ll do it for a friend and only take 20% but unless it’s a high ticket items, it’s not worth it. It takes time to research and then do the actual listings unless it’s books or similar items that can be easily listed using a template.

Congrats, Claycat, on your eBay sale! I’m sorry I did not look at it, everything was happening very quickly with my SO’s cancer diagnosis and surgery. I’m just getting back to my home and catching up.

My sympathy on your dog. It’s always heart wrenching to say good bye to a beloved pet.

Claycat

Thanks, nellieb! My sweet doggie is running free now.

I hope your boyfriend heals quickly. I’ve spent a lot of time taking my MIL to the oncologist and other appts. I know how hard it is. I know it is scary for you and him. Blessings!

I’ve got 5 items now on eBay. Only one has a bid so far. Another has a watcher. I just need to concentrate on getting more and more stuff on there. It is so time consuming to take the photo, get the right packing materials, write the description, etc.

akcorcoran

Thanks, all -

I’ll do more research and then I think it will be good to formalize the deal with her, even if she is a neighbor (or maybe especially). She is VERY flighty – she offered that we could “Split” it when I talked to her and I didn’t say anything. Figured I’d verify before I made any kind of proposal. If others are taking 50% of the profit, I’d sure enjoy that! It’s going to be a lot of effort b/c of the situation (more below on that).

Oh, she has whole wardrobe boxes of Chanel suits and other incredible designers (some purchased in Europe, all the rest in exclusive boutiques in NY) that were over $10K when purchased, gowns and shoes that are more. Her family was very high profile – they donated and built a cancer ward here in Baltimore at one of the top hospitals. But, her husband left her for his high-school sweetheart two years and ago and sort of cast her off. She has no one and no where to go – and thus, no need for this former life. It’s very sad.

I am actually afraid that she’ll not take care of them and they will be ruined, which is why I offered to evaluate them and possibly sell them. I thought I’d also look into vintage stores in the area, as that might be easier. She has the shoes in a box her garage right now, gasp!

The only issue is that she has a sister (much was her mother’s clothes – the vintage variety) and we’ll have to see what she says about it. I always love when siblings come out to claim things they don’t want simply because they want the money – when, in fact, she’ll never do anything with them either!

I’ll dig into it more and let you know how it goes, especially the discussion boards, @thebubbreport, I never even knew to use those. And, I did notice that there were other keywords that were used if it wasn’t vintage to make the auctions sound even more desirable. Honestly, if she does agree, I’ll be very excited to do it. Selling my small stuff seems like a lot of effort for little money. Selling these items that may go for a lot of money but basically require the same effort seem like a MUCH better use of my time!

@Claycat, hope your coping with the empty dog areas (crates and beds and toys) – those always bother me the most after they are gone. @nellieb, sending positive thoughts your way too!

Will keep y’all updated –

P.S. On the flip side, for a terrible experience, I bought some boots for myself on eBay and got a deadbeat auctioneer. Never sent them. Big bummer. It’s been a week since I paid and no word so I guess it’s time to start the formal eBay process to file a complaint and then get my money back from PayPal. :o(

nellieb

I’m off to the post office for the 2nd time today…6 items listed last night, four are sold and two paid already! Yippee!

My goal is to list at least one item a day until they are all listed. Those not sold will either be donated, gifted, or placed on craigslist.

My SO and I are buying a house together before the end of the year and I don’t want to have to move very much! I began uncluttering one of his bureaus last night, he is really good about getting rid of things, too. He gives me items to sell on eBay and we usually do quite well with his tools and guy stuff!

Claycat

Yay, nellieb!

VitaReid

I don’t quite see how ebay is contrary to uncluttering.

I opted to give the lion’s share of my belongings to thrift stores. I could not justify the inordinate amount of time I would have had to spend selling my items on eBay. I chose instead to devote my time to more lucrative undertakings such as marketing my voice over career. I was not willing to take time away from starting bridge and working on my blog.

I suggest you transport your items to the eBay seller who is 50 miles away. Find out what his commission would be first, and then determine whether the trip would be worth it to you. Another consideration would be how much free time you have and whether you are willing to spend cumbersome and time-consuming hours selling the items on eBay yourself. If you are, then it would be best to begin the process of selling your items on ebay.

Vita Reid – The One Minute Minimalist

Claycat

You have a point there, VitaReid!

I’m having trouble organizing myself and my time in order to be efficient with eBay.

One big problem I’m having is that my little digital camera is using battery power up so fast. I’m having to recharge batteries every 2 days! If I want to go faster, I’ll have to do it every day! I may need to get new rechargeable batteries. I don’t know how long they are good. Does anyone have any advice about good battery chargers and rechargeable batteries?

Also, I seem to be spreading myself all over the place. It’s hard to find boxes the right size, and I’m having to cut some down. I’m not going to buy any if I can help it. I was fairly well organized to begin with, and it’s suddenly chaos again around here. My wheels keep spinning, and I’m not getting very far.

akcorcoran

@Claycat, are your batteries regular AA batteries? I have to tell you that I switched to Eneloop batteries. You can read reviews and definitely to a shopping comparison search b/c you can find good prices, but they have changed my “battery life.” They hold a charge incredibly well, even over time – plus it’s nice they come charged! I initially got a set with the charger (key) – just 4, then went to 8, then ordered the big pack you’ll see on Amazon. I keep them in rotation for all devices requiring AA batteries and they are really awesome. Amazon link below but check prices elsewhere:
    http://www.amazon.com/SANYO-eneloop-Pre-Charged-Rechargeable-Batteries/dp/B000IV2WAW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267076663&sr=1-1

I also ordered boxes from the eBay USPS free tool (posted link earlier in this thread) – they take a while to come but you can get all sizes for free. That was on recommendation from this thread – and it seems it will work well.

Then again, I haven’t managed to post again yet! Box of “things to sell” keeps growing. And, today, I received a Land’s End bathing suit and rashguard that I got for my girls on sale $6.99 and $9.99 – well they don’t fit and sending back is $6.95 shipping, so I guess I should sell them (and not sure if as set?) Argh!

Anonymous

Good thread. I’ve been considering ebaying, but I’m really not sure that I could put up with the additional administration. I’d love to have a yard sale, but again it’s a massive effort.

It might be fun to just do a selection of things, keep it within a short timeframe so there’s just the one week with the post-sale admin.

Claycat

Those batteries and the charger look great, Alexa. However, they are so expensive, I’m going to have to manage with what I have until I make some money. I know it will save money in the long run, but I need to make some money first.

Klutzgrrl, yard sales are so tiring. I haven’t ever had the response that I needed to make much money. However, if you live in a busy area, where people have money, it might work for you.

akcorcoran

In understand, Claycat – but I can testify that I haven’t bought a single AA battery in THREE YEARS! And, they are expensive too, so just figure out the package you need (my suggestion is below b/c you need the charger), then allocate some of your first profits from your auctions. If the photo batteries hold you up, then it prevents you from making money and it takes longer. But, I understand wanted to earn to cover costs – that’s business, no matter how small the scale!

http://www.amazon.com/eneloop-pack-AA-MQNO6-Charger/dp/B001QAVPRA/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267116426&sr=1-13

Claycat

That’s more reasonable, Alexa. I may get it soon, because I believe our tax refund just came in. It will definitely save some time.

terriok

I have been selling on Ebay for years. I sell vintage (mostly) Nancy Drew books.

I was collecting them. As I was not working during the summer, I was rather broke so I started selling my duplicates so I could buy more books! HA!

If you have a Mac, as many of you bright people seem to have ;o), there is an application called GarageSale. Probably the best $40 or so I have spent in a long time.

You can upload all your photos to their website and that is all the less you have to pay greedy Ebay. So it pays for itself very shortly.

Selling is fun once you get the hang of it. I never thought I’d be able to sell anything but just so long as the item is nice I am very good at it! It is also a chance to meet a lot of nice people.

nellieb

I, too, enjoy selling on eBay. This week I’ve sold 8 or 9 items, can’t remember, all are shipped. I usually sell items that can fit either into padded envelopes (and I buy them in large lots at Sams Club) or I charge for priority mail and use the free USPS boxes!

Once you get the hang of it, you can list items fairly quickly. It also helps if you have similar items which is what I did this week.

This week I’ve earned about $139 from clutter in my house that had some value. I spent about 2 1/2 hours on all the work. I look at listing on eBay as a part time job. I am selective about what I list and I donate quite a bit when I do not think the effort to list is worth the value of the item.

terriok

Nellie,

If I buy the wrong item I do not have a problem with it. I just list it on Ebay!

I use the padded mailers too which I get on… where else? But Ebay!

That is how I was determining last night if I wanted to purge an item, mostly books. If it is not good enough for me to sell on Ebay, then out it goes (unless I really want it!)

I have had people from all over the world sending me their stuff! As if I did not have enough already!

But you can find anything on there.

What are you selling?

nellieb

Take a look under my seller name, Rosehilllady. Tonight I have a vintage needlepoint kit with one bid and a new with tags Mary Frances purse listed…it’s currently at $51 and there are 9 watchers. I also listed a new primitive rug hooking kit this morning and have another piece of needlepoint listed. I’ve still got lots of different items to list.

Sometimes I donate the item instead. I have two books, one on procrastination and one on uncluttering, that I decided would not be worth it to list. They are sitting in my donate pile right now.

I also list for a company that does eBay sales. I am paid a flat listing fee per item. The last two months have been very slow, only one item each month. Some months, I list 30+ items for them which is a nice monthly check for me! They are going to re-advertise their eBay services so I am hopeful that there will be more in March for me to do.

terriok

I started hooking a rug in college for an art project! It was very nice, rather huge but it would take me all night in front of the tv to do one row. I never did finish it. I use to worry if I had enough yarn. Oh well!

I did check out your sales!

Good luck! ;o)

terriok

Oh and every time I use the camera, I recharge the other two batteries. I have 4. I finally got use to doing that. You might need a new set.

Would you believe when I first bought my camera I was buying new batteries all the time? Duh!~

Claycat

Terriok, you must have gone to the same college I did! I had to hook a 3×5 rug. Our professor gave us 2 weeks! Then he gave us a little more time. I finished, and then had a car accident, because I’d had so little sleep. I eventually got rid of that rug, because it involved such bad memories about that class. I completed everything on time. I was always in class. There was a pretty girl in class who finished very little of her work and was seldom in class. At the end, she was given an A, and I received a B. We had all of our work displayed in a room. When I saw my grade, I had a fit. I picked up everything that would break and threw it against the wall. I was so angry. I had that professor for 2 classes after that. I never got anything but an A again. :)

I am definitely going to order those Eneloop items.

I am having so much fun with eBay. I just sold something else that was bid up to a price I was not expecting. When I saw it last night, I was so excited, I couldn’t sleep!

terriok

Wow!

I am sorry about that accident- that is awful.

My art teacher was great when I told her. She just started cracking up!

I taught for a long time and use to tell the little kids that if they laughed at my jokes, it would help their grades.

One year I had a brand new group in front of me. I asked if there were any questions. A little boy raised his hand. I had taught his sister another year.

“Is it true, Ms. B, that if we laugh at your jokes it will help us get good grades?”

“Did your sister tell you that?”

“Yes…”

Incredibly honest with the kids I replied “Well, honey, it goes like this. Let’s say you are between an ‘A’ and a ‘B’ on your report card, if you laugh at my jokes, I’ll give you the ‘A’. And anyone telling that does not help is lying to you!”

So I’d get this cute forced laughter from all the kids and then we would crack up for real.
    ~~~
    I had a prof who gave another guy a higher letter grade than me although my average was a few points higher. It was posted. (I was not among her favourites, of course.)

Her contention was that I had started out better in the quarter but that I had not improved unlike the other person.

Ok, well, you need to put that straight in the syllabus, lady, and not after the fact.

Another time in college, I was banging on a Math prof’s door. I had missed the final. Cute guy, from England.

I knew he was in there and I did not need any nightmares about missing a make-up so I kept right on knocking.

After about 35 minutes he came out with a female student and they were all mussed up! I could not believe it!

But I have had far more tremendous teachers/profs than lousy. Their stories are not as entertaining but their classes sure were!

Eneloop??

I sold a book for $1500 once! It was my friend’s book so I had to split the $ with him but that was really fun!!

Claycat

Terriok, I forgot to say my college experience was decades ago, early 70s. LOL!

I love your story about your students laughing at your jokes. That’s great!

Eneloop is the brand of charger and rechargeable batteries that akcorcoran was talking about. They are supposed to be really good!

terriok

Oh, thanks!

Yeah, my college days started many moons ago too. ;o)

Claycat

Well, a couple of items have sold really well, a couple just moderately, and quite a few have received no bids. I’m a nervous wreck, because I keep checking eBay several times a day.

I hope the waiting gets easier. I’m really enjoying it in some ways. When I realize I’ve posted a good one, I get excited.

I’m certainly finding out that people bid for things that are unusual, and generally they will bid on the things that I like the best. (Doh!) So, if I decide to actually find stuff to sell, at least I know to look for something that interests me.

Claycat

Well, the honeymoon is over. I had around 15 items that ended last night and only two of them sold. They were very reasonably priced.

I figure I will give it 6 to 8 weeks, and then I will dump the rest of the carp and look for another way to make some money.

I was ready to list a bunch of my MIL’s books on Half.com but found out I couldn’t, because most of them don’t have ISBNs. If I post them on eBay, they have to sell quickly, or I keep eating posting fees. Amazon is not very good. They charge the same final value fee as Half.com plus TWO posting fees. TWO! Also, there are so many used books posted on Amazon for either $0.01 or $0.99. I can’t compete with that!

If I didn’t love my husband so much, I think I would leave and let him and my SILs deal with all of this. I’m getting very discouraged.

Sky

Claycat….It can be discouraging to sell on ebay sometimes. I had items that didn’t sell and realized I had them ending on Super Bowl Sunday. Relisted and most of them sold. It is always a crap shoot.

You can sell on half.com without an ISBN #. Just look it up by the title and click on sell yours.

Your DH, MIL and SIL’s should really appreciate all you are doing!

ninjanun

Claycat–I am having much the same problem with Craigs list (minus posting fees). I posted lots of my Craft supplies and stamps (with detailed descriptions and nice pictures), and only one set of stamps has sold–AND it was the one set of stamps I was really not wanting to let go, either. It was a lot of effort to take the pics, write the descriptions, upload the photos, etc., and for all my hard work (an entire Sunday afternoon/evening’s worth) all I am saying goodbye to is my favorite set of stamps (admittedly, I was willing to part with them, but with the impression that ALL my craft supplies would sell).

And I couldn’t believe the people who contacted me asking if I had *other* stamps and craft items for sale, that I hadn’t listed! Um, I posted the stuff I was interested in selling, so if you’re not interested in buying it, why are you asking me about other stuff I may or may not have among my personal belongings that I’m NOT selling? It’s kind of like going to a garage sale and telling the sellers you’re not interested in any of the items they have out on display, but do they perhaps have a nice set of pots and pans? Because that’s what you’re *really* needing to buy, and was hoping to not have to pay retail. ARRRGGH!

terriok

Clay?

What are you trying to sell? (I forget ;o)

I sell vintage books on Ebay all the time. I estimate that a third of my books sell. I just factor it in.

You can usually relist the items for no additional price once IF they sell.

I would do it now as opposed to the summer which gets mighty slow.

Claycat

Thank you all so much for your support! I appreciate it!

I will keep trying for awhile. I just really need to get into high gear, so I can take care of it before summer.

Sky, I’m glad to know that about the ISBN.

Ninjanun, I need to sell some large stuff on craigslist, too. I’m sorry you had such a time!

Terriok, I’m selling different kinds of things, but I’m about to start on the books. Maybe I should just do eBay, and not get spread out too much.

terriok

In my experience, books are hard to move unless they are signed, vintage or collectible. But the one predictable aspect I have found on Ebay is that it is NEVER predictable! There are so many people there that there is always an x factor.

Buy It Nows on Ebay are very inexpensive. Regular auctions can wrack up the fees.

Claycat

I mailed four more boxes of items sold on eBay this week. It sure is moving slowly, but at least I sold a few things.

belladonna

Hi all – when I found this site and read this post, I almost cried. I’ve been struggling with the fear of posting on Ebay for over 4 years ( can we say neurotic??). I read your posts about the fear and perfectionist tendencies that prevented you from moving forward and felt like you were reading my mind.

I have 2.5 rooms in my house that are filled with things I’ve purchased to sell on Ebay. It started when our daughter was diagnosed with a Synovial sarcoma-a really rare and often fatal cancer-shortly after she had given birth to our granddaughter. I quit my job of 8 years and took care of her and the baby so her husband could work. I stayed at the hospital while she got chemo and radiation; she was 30, so they threw everything they could at her to give her a chance. It was horrifying to watch your child go through this; I was in Hell every day thinking she might die. So, when I went home at night from her house, I detoured to the thrift shops. Finding things was such a high, and boy did I come across some great stuff.

I did some research and realized I was able to find treasures other people missed. One example- a Lefton Miss Kitty teapot for $2.00, worth $200+. I kept finding and buying and stashing; thinking that I would replace our lost income from my job with the online selling. Something I could do from home; set my own hours.

Our daughter is 5 years clean (YEA, GOD!!!!!). After 2 years of treatment, when she was given a great prognosis, I had a nervous breakdown. That took a couple of years of therapy; and more shopping to soothe my soul : ). But, now that I should be selling this stuff, it seems I can’t. I’ve gone through the rooms so many times, picking out the lesser items-having garage sales and donating to the Cancer Federation (last year I had 7 pickups from our house)! I’m trying desperately to unclutter. It depresses me and my hubby ain’t so happy, either.

I’m down to all the “Good Stuff” now. I can’t donate this stuff – I know how much it’s worth. But I’m stuck in over analyizing mode —- what if I don’t price it right and get less than it’s worth (even though I bought it dirt cheap)–what if it doesn’t sell at all?—what if all the problems I’m reading about Ebay will come back to bite me?—what if I fail? I’m stuck in a pattern of going through the stuff, trying to make some order, packing and repacking it, researching it, cleaning it—everything except selling it.

I was in awe of all of you – you just faced your apprehensions and did it! Why can’t I??

Thanks for listening -
    Donna

Claycat

Bless you, Donna! My only problem now is getting people to buy. :)

Some of the life coaches say to imagine the worst thing that could happen. Evidently this can help you get past that hurdle. So, if you fail, you fail! Then you pick yourself up and try again. You can usually fix any problems. The thing is, if you fail, you will be back to square one, which is where you are now. So, at least you tried! I don’t believe you will fail! You are WOMAN; you are STRONG!

You could also try Etsy, if a lot of your items are vintage! There are other venues, also.

You could have an estate sale. You don’t have to be dead to do it!

Please keep posting here, and we will talk you through it.

belladonna

What a sweetie you are, Claycat! I appreciate your faith and hope it filters thru the screen into me ; ) .

I view estate sales like garage sales; everyone wants everything for 10 cents. And I thought Etsy was for handmade items. I’ve looked at Bonanzle, but have read that the traffic isn’t there. One of my problems is that I read way too much. I’m a member of AuctionBytes and get their newsletter—the letters to the editor are usually about the horrors of ebay. So many Powersellers have left; these people know what they’re doing to have achieved that level. I get discouraged before I even begin.

Years ago I was a member of an online group through Yahoo called “Unite Ebay”. It was a fledgling grassroots movement to try to influence Ebay to revert back to the old Ebay. But, things just got so much worse and soon we disbanded the group. A shame, really because many of those people were alot fun and very nice. I guess hearing all the dirt about Ebay constantly has made me gun shy alittle, also.

But, NO EXCUSE —- you are right. I have to imagine the worst that could happen. BTW, I was so happy when you guys started to sell your stuff and ship it. I know it will pick up for you again, because you seem to be doing it right off the bat!!

Thanks again, Clay — glad I found you.

Claycat

I’m glad you did, too! :)

Now, we just have to get you going!

By the way, I read way to much, too! I started out reading some of the discussion forums at eBay, and that scared me. It would probably be better to avoid those for awhile and just read the ones that offer practical advice. I looked at a few videos on youtube about selling on eBay, and that helped me.

I had two estate sales for my MIL, and I did better than I thought I would. There is a city-wide garage sale here this week, and I am going to try and sell off some of the stuff that didn’t sell on eBay. Yeah, it will have to go cheap, but it needs to go!

One of the people who helped me early on was akcorcoran, who started this thread. She hasn’t been here lately, and I wish she would come visit. I figured if she could overcome her anxiety, so could I. Also, nellieb helped me tremendously! She has been selling regularly on eBay, and gave me some good advice.

Before I forget, I just want to tell you I’m so glad your daughter beat the cancer! That’s a miracle!

Claycat

Nellieb has a blog about clutter and selling items.

http://drawerbydrawer.wordpress.com/

Actually, there are a lot of very supportive people on here who will help!

I was looking at the Miss Kitty teapots. One of them sold on eBay for around $48. Not as good as $200 but a lot better than the $2 you spent. You could start with that one. Do you have a seller’s account already? What can I help you with?

belladonna

Thanks, Clay–truly, just talking, getting it out and not being thought as loonie, has made a difference already. I feel the beginnings of some kind of hope–haven’t felt that lately : )

thanks for looking that up. See, now my mind has gone to an evil place….can I make more on another site? … on my own site?… should I start researching again????

(See how this spirals out of control very quickly??)

Interesting thing I realized recently …. I have many things from the 1920′s..’30s…etc. Jewelry, ceramics, etc. that I’ve only seen in collectors guides, Antique Rdshow, and the like. So part of me realizes I will, in all honesty, never own these things again. I’ve always fantasized I would have a big beautiful house filled with expensive furniture, Queen’s china, Waterford crystal and entertain with large silver candelabra. When did I become Jackie O? LOL????

So, maybe part of me is afraid to get rid of these things…what do you think? And is so, how does one divorce themselves of those feelings. I’m amazed when I read about people finding a great deal on something really cool and listing it to sell right away. How can they let it go? Wish I could do that. Oh well…baby steps, I guess.

Claycat

To be honest, I just bought an absolutely beautiful Otagiri tea set at a thrift shop for $12. I may not be able to part with it. It is black and has gold seashells on it.

Take an intense look at your items. If there is something among them that makes your heart sing keep that, but sell the rest.

Since you have older items, you might consider Etsy. There are many people there who sell vintage or antique items. They set a price, and that is what it is. It is not auction style. The only time an auction is really good is when you have something that several people want, and then the bidding war begins. That happened on a couple of my items on eBay. I was really excited, because I had not expected it!

I think starting your own site is good if you are doing a blog, but I think it becomes far more complex if you set it up as a place to sell. It sounds to me like that might not be a good idea in your life at this present time. It would be stressful to me. When you got your site up, you would also have to figure out how to drive traffic your way. (Yes, I do see that you are starting to spin out of control!)

Start small and build up, Donna! Sell something on eBay. Sell something on Etsy. As you have some success, you will be more encouraged to increase your listings. I understand where you are coming from. I have been an all or nothing kind of person. It doesn’t work. We can’t find or create the ideal situation, because this is not an ideal world. We have to realize that good enough is good enough. I’m still working on this! :)

It’s funny. Your image is of a Jackie O. life style. Mine is of a Georgia O’Keefe life style. I don’t know if you have seen photos of her house in Abiqui, but it was almost like a monastery. There were just a few items of art, and everything was very minimal. I know that may be what my soul craves, but realistically I know I won’t have a life style quite like that, because I need more around me to stir my memories.

Claycat

Something sad! Since about March 27, sales have dropped dramatically on eBay. Evidently the changes eBay has made are fixing something that wasn’t broken. I’ve been reading the discussion boards there. There are 10 to 13 year veterans of eBay selling who are very upset about what is going on. What has been a wonderful marketplace is turning into a graveyard.

The question is why? Why would eBay commit suicide? I wonder what is going on. I don’t understand Ponzi schemes very well, but it has occurred to me that there might be something darker going on. Of course, it may just be that eBay has gotten so top heavy, they are experiencing the Peter Principle.

Any thoughts?

Claycat

Belladonna, I hope you are checking in. Some people are still selling on eBay, but the views are way down and sales are way down. My solution is to sit back and wait awhile. Etsy is having problems as well.

Claycat

I’m going to see what I can do on Amazon with the books this week. I will also put some things on craigslist.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.