Home Forums Challenges This year's project…

This topic contains 46 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of ceduke ceduke 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    whyawhelk

I’ve posted on this forum sporadically as I’ve been decluttering my house, but this year I’ve decided I am going to post regularly about my more-or-less last decluttering project, the Room Of Shame™

A brief explanation is probably in order; I have three kids, two of my own and a teenage stepdaughter who suddenly and unexpectedly moved in with us this past september. I would describe my house as “company-ready” probably about 90% of the time, our front room, kitchen, the kids’ rooms and our bedroom are all full off stuff, we certainly have more stuff than the average family, but the rooms are organised and tidy and perfectly presentable. Unfortunately, there’s another room, which isn’t:

This room is, theoretically, part home office and, for the most part, the room where I do my sewing and upholstery. As you can see, currently, I can do nothing in this room. In fact, I can barely move around in it. As a result of various home projects, topped off by my stepdaughter suddenly moving in and requiring a room of her own, the “office,” as we call it, has become a dumping ground for all the things that have no home in this house. There’s plenty of storage, but it’s currently being taken up by things that don’t really need to be stored and should be thrown away, while the things that do need to be stored are piled up in front of the things that need to be binned, preventing me from getting to them. Clearing the room has now become a logistic nightmare. Today, I filled two boxes for donation and put them in the back of the car. Unfortunately, that was before I took these pictures.

Anyway, my goal is to have this room functional again by the end of May, and I’m starting this thread to keep myself motivated and keep you posted on my progress. Anyone else ever tackled a room that, when you look at it objectively, wouldn’t look out of place on Hoarders?

mdfloyd

This year's project…

An admirable goal — and one you can do! You’ll find lots of encouragement here, as you probably already know.

jlw

This year's project…

Good for you! It sounds like you have a great plan for this room.

Our last apartment had what I called the Closet of Doom – a huge walk-in closet (really. Larger than the bathroom) that ended up being where I stuck anything I didn’t know what else to do with. There was definitely a point where I couldn’t walk to the back of the closet or reach anything there without spending several minutes moving other things out.

The bright side of uncluttering the closet, for me, was that if I ran into anything that was giving me problems – I couldn’t decide about it or didn’t know what to do with it or I didn’t feel like dealing with it right then – was that it was easy to grab something else and work on that instead! The important thing was just continuing to make progress.

clutterbug22

This year's project…

whyawhelk, looking forward to following your progress on this challenge!
    btw, what are the white ‘trays’ in the first pic and the black things at the bottom right of the 2nd pic?
    Are the pile of clothes ready to donate or are they waiting to be hung somewhere?
    (Not being nosey, just trying to find out what needs to go or stay!)

Possibly, my bit of advice when dealing with a room this full, is to get as much of the floor as clear as possible. There’s nothing more irritating and energy draining than to keep turning around in a confined space and to keep having to watch what you are stepping over, especially if you have your arms full of stuff. (Speaking from experience of dealing with the far more cluttered rooms at my mother’s)

Netleigh

This year's project…

Whyawelk, I have had a room that resembled this when ds was in and out of home and one room flats and we had stuff just stacked in one room. It is back to functional now.
    It is brave to post the photos and I hope you keep us updated with photos as you get through sorting it all out.

Claycat

This year's project…

Whyawhelk, thank you for sharing this with us! Now I am excited to watch your progress!

whyawhelk

This year's project…

Clutterbug, the clothes are the family’s summer coats, there is room for those in the bedroom wardrobe, so I’ll move those first, the white things are Ikea wall panels that are going to be hung up in the bedroom, but I have yet to decide which wall they’re going on, we’ve only just finished rearranging the bedroom furniture after some work was done on the heating. The pile of black things are clothes hangers that were the wrong shape for pretty much anything, I spent the morning sorting and replacing them in DH’s wardrobe, that pile is now in the back of the car for dropoff at the charity shop, so that’s one thing gone.

whyawhelk

This year's project…

And thank you all for the moral support!

clutterbug22

This year's project…

You’ve made a good start with 2 boxes to go already!

Sky

This year's project…

My house is company ready most of the time except for our office. Everything gets dumped in there and it builds up til we can’t stand it anymore. Then DH clears his desk and I try to figure out what the rest of the stuff is and either put it away or trash it.

Also, our attic is becoming a mess due to stuffing stuff up there that we’re not sure what to do with. Mostly DH that can’t let go of cords, wires, phones and other worthless crap.

This is the year we are getting the office, attic and garage organized. I can’t stand it anymore.

Keep us up tp date with your progress, whyawhelk!

sleepykitten

This year's project…

I like that you “trademarked” your Room of Shame! :)

I am also so excited that you posted “before” photos! We will be cheering you on and watching for the “after” photos.

djk

This year's project…

You can do it! Eating the elephant works!

loripax

This year's project…

My studio is my equivalent of your Room of Shame. Every so often I manage to get it cleaned up, but it almost immediately reverts to a state of chaos because it really isn’t set up the way it should be, and I haven’t had the time or energy or budget to deal with it properly. But I’m making it a priority this year.

chacha1

This year's project…

whyawhelk, love those “before” photos. Imagine how you will feel as you update them.

:-) You might update every other week so that you (as well as we) can see your progress … it is easy to not register improvements when you do them a bit at a time.

We have a Room of Shame too, and will be discussing next week how to attack it. My sisters are coming to visit in June and I’d like to have it addressed by then. I’m not posting photos though! Not as brave as you! :-)

whyawhelk

This year's project…

Chacha1, honestly, it’s not bravery, I’ve been struggling with this room for about three years now and I figured if I didn’t throw it out into this group, I’d just keep muddling on with it for another three years. I need the accountability.

I’ve started going through things now and it’s a nightmare. You know when you suddenly have company coming and you throw everything on the dinner table into a box and figure you’ll sort it later? Not that I’m that sort of person, obviously ;), but I certainly used to be that sort of person and there seems to be at least twenty versions of that box up here, stored away for no apparent reason.

Out today: old vcr and laptop, various wooden toys, the aforementioned pile of clotheshangers, DH’s slippers and sandals into his cupboard, a load of office supplies into the donation box, a box of vintage toys into the display unit where they were meant to go.

sleepykitten

This year's project…

You are doing GREAT @whyawhelk! My advice is to donate, donate, donate – if the stuff in the room was unimportant enough to put in boxes to “sort out later” – and we’ve all been there – I bet 75% of it can be donated with no harm done. :)

whyawhelk

This year's project…

Sleepykitten, you’re probably right, yeah, but I do have to go through all of it, just going through one drawer unit that hadn’t been opened in about two years, I finally found my great grandfather’s pocketwatch and some weirdly specific headphone cable my dh has been looking for for about 18 months.

Swede

This year's project…

All the good advice has already been given… And you’re off to a great start already. So I’m just here to cheer on! *brings out the pom poms* :)

Meglet

This year's project…

Ah yes, the Room of Shame, I know it well. Good luck to you, just take it a piece or a drawer or a box at a time as you have to, and you’ll get through it.

It’s AMAZING the things that can live in there, though – when I lived at my dad’s we had a room like that, eventually I got tired of it, we spent a couple of months cleaning it out and then I was able to turn it into a library/guest room, with pretty yellow paint and lovely bedding & curtains. Just imagine what you’ll be able to do with this room once you get it cleared out!

Joless

This year's project…

Ah. We have one of these. It’s the back bedroom which still has moving boxes (from May) full of books, bits of stereos and speakers, lots of curtains we don’t need (but need to go into the loft, family rule – never throw away curtains), two single beds which we think we shall replace with two that join into a double, kites, Xmas decs which need to be packed up again and so on. I want to get it sorted out so we can actually use it as a guest room.

Shortbird

This year's project…

“you throw everything on the dinner table into a box and figure you’ll sort it later? Not that I’m that sort of person, obviously”

No, me neither ;)

Awesome pictures and… decorative clogs? Can’t wait to see the progress!

whyawhelk

This year's project…

@shortbird, I think everyone’s that sort of person deep down.

I’m Dutch, they’re actually just clogs, from a clog shop. I think my mother bought them for one of my children to annoy my english other half, she likes having little digs at him and myself for speaking english in the house and somehow not being dutch enough for her liking. In fact, I’m going upstairs to throw them in the donation box right now, thinking about them has made me realise the negative vibes they give off and I don’t need that.

chacha1

This year's project…

Kick those negative clogs to the curb, whyawhelk!

clutterbug22

This year's project…

I second that!, who needs those negative vibes?

Joless

This year's project…

This is my own personal Room of Doom which I am slowly tackling this year :-)

ETA: Oh well, tried to add a pic but failed. And I used to write HTML for a living….bit embarrassing! It’s in Flickr if anyone is interested.

Katt

This year's project…

What a lovely view! I think that room should clean up quite nicely. I need to post some pictures of my room of doom. Hooray for the slow tackle :)

This year's project…

I agree with Katt — beautiful view and lots of big windows through which to look at it.

Joless

This year's project…

Yep, it’s a lovely room and my MiL is rather upset that its not available for her to sleep in as she always preferred it to our guest room. We added the left hand window when we renovated, and the paint etc is all new so it’s just a matter of removing all the stuff, and arranging it like a bedroom, maybe with new beds which zip into a double since the two singles we have are mismatched and a double would be more useful.

Bought a bookshelf this afternoon so I can decant some of the boxes of books left from moving, and declutter as I go.

whyawhelk

This year's project…

Clogs are gone! Well, they’re in the back of the car in a box destined for the monthly rummage sale at the seniors’ home down the road. Also gone: one coat from the pile of summer coats mentioned earlier, I was about to store it when I realised I just don’t like it anymore and I’ve been wearing it for at least five years. I dumped it into the clothes dropoff bag and dumped the bag immediately before my frugal self could take over and save it. It was a perfectly good coat, but now it will be a perfectly good coat for someone who isn’t me.  Unfortunately, the room is currently a much larger mess than when I took the photos due to the fact that I had to move everything in order to get to a giant Sony speaker. The giant speaker was part of a set of 5 giant speakers that belonged to a surround sound system.

Now, apart from telling you all about my progress, I am afraid on some occasions I may have to share with you the ridiculous tales behind some of the ridiculous items taking up valuable space in my home. This is one of those occasions, so here goes: The time is eleven years ago and a friend of ours is moving back to his home country, leaving behind a ridiculously large, even for eleven years ago, Sony surround sound system, with amp, radio, cd changer, etc, and five of the most ginormous speakers you’ve ever seen in your life. My other half, possibly sensing that I would never let him hear the end of it if he spent actual money on such a monstrously large sound system, decides he wants to keep it. It lives in our front room for a while, it moves house with us, and eventually some five years ago, we finally replace it with something less gargantuan and infinitely more understated and attractive. However, for some reason, the whole humungous collection of equipment doesn’t immediately leave the house as it should have done at that moment.

Fast forward another year or so and due to an entirely unrelated set of circumstances involving a production fault in the first generation of Playstation 3 machines, we end up with an extraneous Playstation 3 unit -which plays blue rays and dvds- which functions completely normally but makes AN INCREDIBLY LOUD WHINING NOISE when left on for more than ten minutes, for instance when one uses it to play blue rays or dvds, both of which generally tend to be longer than ten minutes. We decide to put the unit in the bedroom because we might want to watch blue rays or dvds there. Can you see where this is going? Yes, of course you can.

The LOUD WHINING NOISE is, of course, the key to what happened next. The other half (and I, I suppose, I must have agreed to this at some point) decided that instead of, say, getting rid of the superfluous Playstation because we don’t own any blue rays and can buy a COMPLETELY SILENT dvd player for the bedroom for about 30 bucks, no, no, we would DROWN OUT the whining noise by installing the ginormous surround system in our already overcrowded bedroom. And lo and behold, the system was installed in all its giant black enormity.

Three years passed, and in that time we watched about three dvds in the bedroom. Eventually I got fed up and in order to prove a point about how often we used the speakers, I removed one of the two monstrously humungous speakers (of the five speakers, two were monstrously humungous, the other three were merely huge) from the bedroom and into the Room of Shame. And finally, recently, it came to pass that, upon moving our bedroom furniture around, my other half looked at the remaining speakers and remarked that really, they were quite terribly large, weren’t they? The Playstation was bequeathed to my stepdaughter and the speakers were earmarked for deletion. I’d learned my lesson about following through and so, in order to get them out of the house as quickly as possible, I had to dig out the giant speaker so we could drive the entire set to the charity shop. Along with another set of five speakers that was half the size, but at least four times as ugly.

Yes, I know, tl;dr, so to sum up: I got rid of no less than TEN speakers at the weekend. Beat that.

clutterbug22

This year's project…

Well, what can you say? That’s a hard one to beat!

Swede

This year's project…

I read all of it and giggled. Way to go, 10 speakers is… Well, a tad insane. Haha. :) Well done in getting them out!

Barbs

This year's project…

This ridiculous tale is funny. It made me laugh. I can’t beat that today, but maybe someday…

Anonymous

This year's project…

you’re motivating me to soldier on with mine! My ‘spare room’ that was my study/studio (supposedly) always became the dumping ground too – for some reason my home doesn’t have a broom-closet, so the vaccuum is there… and we have an open plan house so the kitty is shut in there at night (foot tray, litter tray UGH luckily he hardly ever uses it, only for emergencies!) stuff, stuff… then DH started working from home and took over one wall, added a bookshelf, more stuff…. so yeah… I totally get how you ended up with the Room Of Shame (TM).

I like the floor clearing idea. The other thing I did in my room was put a load of the working stuff to one side in a big pile and clear off the big desk, so I’m using that to sort things as I go, as well as the floor space underneath, which means I can lay things out and assess without having to step over them.

Claycat

This year's project…

LOL! Way to go, Whyawhelk!

bandicoot

This year's project…

whyawhelk, i laughed until i cried.
    that was hysterical!
    the ugly ginormous black speakers ZOMG!!!!
    how marvellous to get rid of the whole lot!

and now i bet you find loads of stuff like that in the trademarked room.
    the room and the stuff all looks very clean….i think that makes a big difference to how it will feel to tackle it.
    so much easier and more pleasant.
    brava!

and please keep the progress photos coming. i know it will be dramatic.

chacha1

This year's project…

Love the speaker story. Wish my other half would take that to heart. We hardly ever listen to music (for its own sake; we listen in the car or for practice, but not at home generally) and yet we have THREE SUB WOOFERS. Yes. Three.

The one connected to the home theatre would be quite sufficient.

clutterbug22

This year's project…

How’s it going, Whyawhelk? Any more progress?

whyawhelk

This year's project…

Ah! You all thought I’d died under a pile of crap, didn’t you? I haven’t, I’m fine, honestly.

Above picture is the progress up to this week. I did call it this YEAR’S project for a reason, I have very little time to devote to cleaning up this room, and I’m determined to actually declutter this time, as opposed to tidying up and moving boxes and bags of junk from one end to the other until it looks tidy. With that in mind, I have spent the last month sorting through dozens of bags and boxes of little things, drawers of accumulated junk, etc. Several items have been repurposed elsewhere in the house, about a dozen “I should fix/paint/mend that some time” projects have been fixed, painted or mended and a few have been binned and I am now making a start emptying the corner bookcase. I’ll try to update more frequently, as soon as that part of the bookcase goes, I should start making faster progress on sorting the room out.

clutterbug22

This year's project…

You’ve been busy! It’s certainly looking different now. Well Done!

sleepykitten

This year's project…

It looks much improved to me! Hooray!

I think you are smart to designate this as a year-long project. I often over-estimate what I am actually capable of getting done alongside, you know, everything else in life that demands time and attention. By being realistic, you’ve set yourself up for certain success – and you might even finish early! :)

chacha1

This year's project…

We can see the floor! YAY!! :-)

Katt

This year's project…

whyawelk, I am so glad you didn’t die under a pile of crap, as you expressed it :) Bravo for persisting and making headway. There’s a lot more light in that room now! Hooray! Plus, as chacha mentioned, zomg, the FLOOR :D

whyawhelk

This year's project…

Thank you all for your encouragement. I have since taken down three rows of the Ikea Ivar bookcase that was poking out into the middle of the room and stopping me moving around. I now have about one square metre of one corner of the room looking clean and organised. The plan is to spread that organisation slowly around the room from that one starting point. I’ll post some more pictures in the week.

bandicoot

This year's project…

such progress!
    if you keep on at this rate, you will need a new project long before the year is out!

Joless

This year's project…

@whyawelk – looks good! It’s fab to start seeing space and progress, isn’t it!?

My own RoD is progressing, to the point where I am trying to get it ready for my MiL to sleep in it on Weds as she always preferred that room to our actual spare room. In fact, we had other guests this weekend and the wife was ill so I was able to make up a bed for the husband in this very room and he could sleep there without more than a few piles of books around and some small clutter. Definite progress!

Katt

This year's project…

@Joless, that’s really great progress on the RoD! A few piles of books are what I accent all my rooms with (except the bathroom; too small). I’m sure your MIL will be happy to be back in her preferred room. Pictures? (yes I want to gawk at your lovely view again, I admit it).

ceduke

This year's project…

That is a lot of progress in a short time!! Wow!!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.