Home Forums Welcome Hello! this weekend i'm uncluttering…….

This topic contains 104 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of herisff herisff 1 year, 4 months ago.

• Author
    poodle

This weekend I’m uncluttering my kitchen table (along with general house picking up and laundry). My kitchen table has always been my catch-all. Everything goes there. My purse, keys, receipts. You name it, it’s probably on my table right now. I’ve been whittling away at it here and there the last few days, but just as soon as I get a clear spot, something manages to make it’s home there. But, amazingly, I know pretty much everything that’s on the table.

Then, I might go through the top of my bedroom closet. It’s not too bad, so hopefully I can get 2 things done Saturday, leaving Sunday to relax!

MegHom

this weekend i'm uncluttering…….

This Saturday I’m uncluttering a chair in the darkest & dustiest corner of my bedroom.
    It’s become a catch all for mending, orphan socks, and stuff I don’t want to deal with right away. It’s gross, somehow all the cat hair & dust goes right under the chair and the whole thing has been ignored for almost three years.

chacha1

I’m uncluttering the city. :-) We’re taking a weekend away for a family wedding. Thus, the apartment will still be full of dust bunnies and unfinished filing on Sunday night, but … I don’t care!

mnbookworm

Good for you, chacha! Maybe the dust bunnies will finish the filing for you this weekend… ;) Enjoy your weekend away!

Astreja
    Participant

This weekend I’m uncluttering… Music stuff! *yay*

I have a keyboard stand in the basement which is holding my router table. I need to take the legs off the router table and attach it to a proper workshop stand, rather than having it draped over the keyboard stand.

Then I can take the stand upstairs and set up my synthesizer and give it a good cleaning (I suspect that there may be some cat dandruff or worse gumming up a few of the switches, and may have to open up the keyboard to clean it with alcohol and contact cleaner).

I also want to get my electric guitar out of the closet and put it on a stand in plain sight so I’ll play it more often, and deal with my battery-draining bass guitar. (It either needs an AC adapter plug-in or a switch to turn off the battery when I’m not playing the bass.)

Oh, and I have an out-of-town community band concert on Sunday afternoon. Road trip!

Anonymous

This weekend I’m uncluttering all my usual weekend house cleaning tasks.

Boyfriend and I are taking a first aid and CPR certification course, which will keep us busy from 9am to 5pm Saturday and Sunday. Then we have a dance event (Saturday) and a potluck dinner (Sunday) to go to in the evenings. Oh well, I’m sure the cats will pick up the slack and we’ll come home to a clean house and neatly folded laundry.

sleepykitten

@Anita – Ha! Not to burst your bubble, but we have cats too and they rarely help out with the cleaning. :)

pkilmain

The only cleaning my cats do is if there is food spilled on the floor! :)

J.B.C.

I know this sounds gross but my kitties have been known to roll in dust bunnies under the bed. Then they lick them off. It always inspires me to mop under the bed, but I really do appreciate the help. It’s one of the only thoughtful things they do. They usually earn their keep with cuteness.

happymonkey

I’m uncluttering … clothes! After four months of working out of town, I’m home and ready to tackle my deeply messy and depressing closet! I doubt that I’ll finish this weekend, but at the very least I intend to sort through a bunch of things and pick at least a dozen pieces to take to consignment. I have a ridiculous amount of clothes and need to start paring down somewhere …

Ella

In my kitchen, I hope to declutter all the tarnish from my silver and all the dust from my cookbook shelves.

bandicoot

i am uncluttering myself entirely out of the house and onto an aircraft.
    and before i go, i have to unclutter a huge pile of work.

this weekend I’m uncluttering my loneliness. My fiance arrives tomorrow at midnight. I really love just hanging out with him. Nothing fancy, just coffee shops, the library, oh and the basement project, lol.

Hope everyone has a good weekend whether it’s decluttering or relaxing or training their cats to fold laundry like Anita’s can!

Hansi

Pens, one framed painting and more disposable items. I’m working all weekend so i’m going to bring some stuff to work and don’t take them back home aswell.

liag

Good times, lifekeepshappening.

Jackthetiger

I was going to declutter a bit of overdue cleaning, but I came home from work and found that my husband had cleaned EVERYTHING! The house is shiny and neat. I might declutter the study cupboard.. a few horrors dwell in there.

Anonymous

The cats’ laundry-folding training isn’t making much progress so far – they’re good at pressing (this morning one was practicing by curling up on the clothes I’d just laid out on the bed), but folding still needs work :)

pkilmain

We are moving furniture and other floor-sitting items out of 3 rooms in prepartion for carpet cleaning on Tuesday. The bedroom is done except for what we’ll need until the actual day. My sewing room and office are next. (We have hardwood or vinyl flooring in the rest of the house).

candy

Shoes. Sandals. Ankle boots. Boots. Heels. Needs to be checked out, decided upon whether to keep or not, taken to the cobbler if necessary, cleaned, sold, given away… you get the idea. I really don’t need to clutter up my space with shoes I never use.

I’m so excited! Look what I got for the day!

liag

I cannot get over my awe re your project tackling and your ability, efficiency and energy to send us photos, which I LOVE seeing.

Ginger

I’m going to unclutter my overflowing craft/sewing bin. I want to get everything back inside it with room to spare. I’m going to start that in just a few minutes… this morning is the only free time I have this weekend!

ceduke

…a bunch of dead plants from the balcony. I keep getting plants and not taking care of them, so they are ALL going away now! Also, I’m not buying any more plants.

candy

Good decision, ceduke! I made that very same decision myself many years ago. I buy a bunch of fresh flowers from time to time instead.

poodle

I found my kitchen table!! I had forgotten what it looked like. I also did the normal weekend laundry and picking up. I didn’t have time to work in my closet, but that’s ok. I was able to start a project that I’ve been putting off simply because it’s gonna take a lot of time, and I always think about starting it when I won’t have time to work on it for awhile because I’m multi-tasking other things. I even gave my dog a bath today! It rained all weekend here, so I was able to have an excuse to do inside chores. Maybe next weekend.

Nina

I uncluttered our bookshelves!
    We have family visiting so a good reason to finally get rid of all non-book items that shouldn’t have been there in the first place and book & DVD’s my husband and I won’t read (again).
    We ended up bringing 4 full bags of books and DVDs to charity and I have 3 more bags waiting to be brought.
    I even cleaned on top of the bookshelves (must have been the first time in years – it was dirty). Now they are clean and nicely arranged and I kust have to keep them that way :-)

poodle

I’m proud to say that it’s been almost a week, and my kitchen table is still about 95% decluttered!!! I’m glad that I worked on it last weekend, because I plan on spending tomorrow in my yard mowing, edging, weed-eating and blowing before we possibly get hit with Isaac middle of the week, because next weekend might be too wet. And of course, there’s the normal laundry and picking up from the week.

This weekend I’m also going to declutter and clean one of the rooms at my church before we start our AWANA program. The same class has been in this room, but there’s been different directors. I have no idea what’s there, but I do know that it needs to be cleaned, organized and possibly rearranged. Gotta declutter the dust and mustiness from being closed up for the summer.

Netleigh

The ‘dominoes’ scattered around the house as a result of two weekends away and busy work weeks.
    A couple of hours should return items to their places, boxes and cases to the loft and the ironing heap via the ironing board to the wardrobe.
    Then I’ll be able to take stock and plan for an indoor activity for our forecast wet bank holiday monday and some garden time on sunday where we might avoid yet more rain.

sleepykitten

Great job with your table, @poodle!

I was just thinking about how the weekend is upon us….

I’m not 100% sure, yet, WHAT I will be uncluttering, but I will certainly be uncluttering! I think that my focus will be on sentimental papers, the basement, and on uncluttering “fix-it house tasks” – there are quite a few small fix-it projects that have been on my to-do list for WAY too long. As in, almost a year. Please forgive me! :)

sleepykitten

…oh, you know what else needs uncluttering? My office at work! I don’t particularly want to be hanging around the office over the weekend, but it is getting seriously cluttered.

ElbowRoom

I’m going to unclutter frost. An antiquated basement freezer will be picked up by our utility company free of charge since it sucks up lots of electrical energy. They require it be defrosted before pick up. Sigh. So will be defrosting in preparation to uncluttering a big metal box that is our old freezer.

happymonkey

You guys are on a roll!

This weekend I will continue sorting, trying on, and purging clothes. It’s a much longer process than I had anticipated (I have waaaay too many clothes) but I’m glad I’m finally tackling it. I’m going to continue working on it every day and will hopefully be finished by the end of the month.

Hansi

my mess created last week. I’m going to clean my home and prepare it for a new work week.

chacha1

I’ll be uncluttering a bunch of stuff to Goodwill and the hazardous waste collection.

Also: a costume project that needs to be off my dressmaker model ASAP so I can do the dress I’ll be wearing in October for competition. Eeeek.

The damn dust bunnies can wait another week!!

Anonymous

This weekend I have Sunday off, so I’ll be decluttering the coat closet. It used to be very organized, then turned into a catch-all for all sorts of stuff the past 2 months, and it needs some serious TLC.

pkilmain

Ack, DH came home early from his hunting/camping trip (trouble with the boat motor, plus sluicing rain) and the basement and living room are now cluttered with his wet stuff. Of course, neither of the downstairs rooms that had the carpets cleaned is back together, and now cannot be until his stuff is dry and put away. Sigh. Hopefully that will happen over the weekend, though we have social events both Sat and Sunday.

Meglet

This weekend I need to tackle the scary closet in my guest room/library. It’s turned into kind of a catch-all again, and there’s a pile of stuff OUTSIDE the closet that needs to go INSIDE the closet but won’t fit. This time I need to go through and get rid of enough that I can properly organize what’s left.

Fortunately I have more than enough empty or half-empty storage bins scattered around that I can manage that. :D

poodle

So… the yard didn’t get taken care of, and due to a sick friend, the room at church didn’t get taken care of either. But, I was able to catch up and kind of get ahead on things inside. We had a church fellowship Friday night, and I didn’t get home until almost 9:30, and in bed around 12:30. Due to the busyness of the night, I slept until 10:30. It felt so nice! Tomorrow afternoon will be the room at church.

Meglet

Well, I actually did tackle the scary closet yesterday (see the August ATAD thread for before/after pics) which was awesome.

Then today, I decided to tackle the black hole I mean under-sink cabinet in my bathroom. It was another one of those places where stuff was piled so deep I couldn’t add any more stuff, and gee, it turns out I didn’t even NEED most of what was in there, because it didn’t go back!

mskris

My long weekend goals: declutter my old office doo-dads (new work at home job), and try to get to some of the photos that have been sitting in a pile in my sitting room and the hallway!

chacha1

Three-day weekend goals … get my bookkeeping entries up to date; assemble the structural underpinnings for my Latin dress revision; get novella #2 set up to publish via Kindle.

Also, for heaven’s sake, COOK.

sleepykitten

Once I finish my “fifty by Friday” challenge and drop off all our donations, I’m taking a break from uncluttering for the weekend. I think I will approach the weekend like I did my last “mini-retreat” and try to take time for creative work, yoga, etc.

Meglet

Still defining the goals for my weekend, but I expect to include some or hopefully even all of the following:

Finish cleaning out the clothes dressers
    Brave the back of the closet in my bedroom (probably not as scary as I think it is. I hope.)
    Edit the items on my Expedit, and in the bins in my Expedit – giant 5×5 in my dining area that is the kitchen overflow, and it’s really overflowing!
    Upend the futon in the library/guest room, clean out the storage bin under it, and migrate some things that should be stored there. And then make the futon back into a couch instead of a bed.

Anonymous

Empty the hard drive of the old DVR and put it in the car ready to go to the hardware recycling place. That’s a manageable task! SO much to do!

lucy1965

. . . my son: they’re signing the lease at 12.30 and taking the first few boxes over today, with the bulk of it happening tomorrow.

Anonymous

My new studio and attached storage area. Yay!

Hansi

I’m travelling this week and living in bags so I will unclutter the digital files I have brought with me. I have an external hard drive with me that is full and I want to create space for more storage.

I have uncluttered my home base for a month since i’m on vacation. It is a nice life to live totally free of a home base.
    I often do this since my work is kind of special with the work time/place.

I have been buying stuff also so I guess I cluttered some things aswell bit I needed those thing badly.

Meglet

@Hansi, the digital uncluttering during travel is a good idea! I have a work trip coming up soon and might have to replicate that!

I guess I need to add “bathroom surfaces” to my list for this weekend – I’ve tried to limit what’s on them but today I realized how much I DREAD cleaning the bathroom shelves and counters because I don’t want to have to move “all” the stuff that’s there. If I can cut down to even fewer things, hopefully that means I’m more likely to give it a quick, regular swipe with a cleaning cloth.

Hansi

@Meglet, please do so. I already cleared off 30 GB of data and more to go today. Feels great I must say. Only keeping the best files.

I have brought a BIG project in the smallest size namely a 32 GB USB stick. The 500 GB external drive is nothing compared to the work I have to do with all the small files kept on the thumbdrive. It is my important paperworks files that are scanned onto the drive. I have to keep it current and sorted and that will take time.

I will do the external drive first and later on the small drive since i’m not that excited to get started with the 32 GB drive.

Great when done but a hassle to get done.

Meglet

Well, at least one project off the list – today I upended the futon in the library/guest room, cleaned out everything in the storage box underneath (one of those Ikea boxes built to fit under their futon) and donated a TON of stuff from the pile. There was much cursing at myself (good-natured, but still) about all of the stuff that had been hoarded under and on the futon. Like the fact that there were NINE down pillows on it, despite the fact I’m allergic to down and nap there frequently. That was a bad combination. But now it’s very nice and neat, nothing stored that shouldn’t be and I’m very glad it’s all done with.

Tomorrow will be either the Expedit or the bedroom closet, haven’t decided for sure yet.

candy

The weekend is almost over, but there is still time to spend some quality time with my vaccuum cleaner and various other cleaning tools to get rid of the dust bunnies. Or rather dust kangaroos, given the size of the beasts.

candy

I decided to time the various activities in order to know how long it really takes me to clean my apartment. So far I’ve spent:
    - 15 minutes: PEEP all of the stuff that was roaming around aimlessly
    - 15 minutes: vaccuum cleaning the entire apartment
    - 15 minutes: dusting the bedroom and living room
    - 15 minutes: wet mopping the entire apartment except the bathroom

I also need to clean the kitchen and bathroom, but first a small break. I’m rather amazed at how little time I really need for all these various tasks. Based on this I’m giving the zone cleaning idea some serious thought.

candy

I managed to clean the kitchen as well, I didn’t check the time but I’m sure that I didn’t spend more than 15 minutes on that task.

This really reinforces my idea of a combination of zone cleaning and 15 minutes per day. To be continued…

irishbell

4 people…Waaahhhh.
    Dd and her dh close on their home tomorrow, so they and my 2 grandsons will be leaving us.(they’ll only be 15 miles away)
    They’ve been in home limbo for several weeks and are so excited to be finally moving into their new home.
    It was busy, messy and chaotic here these last few weeks, but I wouldn’t trade this time with my boys for anything!

chacha1

My dirty car. It simply must go to the car wash, the leaking pipe in the garage ceiling has rendered my dusty windows dangerously obscure.

Also: the incomplete latin costume. Necessary components arrived in the mail Tuesday. This *will* be done.

pkilmain

Oh irish, a sad yet happy day!

I’m happy to report that my sewing room is nearly ready for me to sew again. I will finish it up this weekend, and while there will still be lots of tweaking, I’ll be able to tackle one box or area at a time. Going to try to convince DH to move one of the bookcases out of there so I can have an easy chair in there, but the question is where can I move it to? Still thinking on this one.

Meglet

Going to try to tackle my closet again this weekend. The dressers are nearly sorted (old ones gone, 1 in place, have to get the other this weekend) so all my clothes in drawers are nicely sorted, and it makes the closet look even worse. Goal is to get the last dresser in, then EMPTY the stinking closet of all clothes, boxes, suitcases, laundry hampers, and whatever mysteries are hiding on the floor. Then only put back what fits, looks good (on my) and needs to be there.

Until I can get started on it, I will just keep re-reading this closet organizing article for inspiration: Fall Closet Cleaning on Apartment Therapy

Netleigh

Doing the dressing table/bedside chest this weekend.
    I am setting up a new charging central switched adapter there as it’s where I mostly charge the kindle and iphone, my handbag comes to the bedroom each night and they can get taken out and plugged in.
    However there are stray items and perfume samples there too that need to be tidied up, PEEPed or disposed of.

Wondering if I should also try setting up a project 333 type selection of Autumn clothes on the rail where I hang things to iron in the back room.
    It could be a staging area until I have been on a hot holiday next month and then I can do a full transfer of summer stuff to the out of season wardrobe.

Also need to take up the hems on two pairs of work trousers replacing two pairs of old saggy ones, I so wish M&S did one inch steps on trouser length.

poodle

I’m going to declutter my house of the dust that has decided to make my house its home. I don’t know how it happened. All of a sudden, it’s just there. And the piles of laundry that are about to grow legs and walk on their own. As far as the laundry, it was a busy week. Stuff got washed and dried, but that’s about it. And, the general picking up and putting away. And, I’ll probably throw things out as I go. You never know! That kind of decluttering is about as rewarding as a scheduled one. Impromptu, spur of the moment.

Netleigh

Dressing table and small shelves above it done. How, when I fully intend to only have one of each item beside the bed, had I ended up with 9 pens and 3 pencils?
    Large dust bunnies evicted from the space behind the mirror where cables run.
    3 perfume samples disposed of as I didn’t like how they developed on me, the others are in the box of samples to be used and lived with.
    Also did the other surface in the bedroom that belongs to me, things that had paused there have been PEEPed to their rightful places.
    It all looks much clearer, how long can I keep it like that?

PJ

Netleigh, I sometimes do the skeptical “how long can I keep it like that?” thing too! But I’m also aware that this is all a process. I might not be able to keep a surface clear for very long, but I find that these days I don’t let as much clutter build up in the first place before I get around to clearing things off. Still some, but not as much. In some cases because I’ve noticed the same things landing there over and over and have designated proper places for them, and in some cases because I clean the area more frequently. For example, I used to always have a huge pile of dishes by the sink, so that even if I took some time to wash them, I wouldn’t be able to do the whole amount (no room in the dish drainer.) Now, I may still usually have some dishes by the sink, but I tend to wash them before it gets to be too many to do in one batch.

Do you find your tolerance level shifting as well?

Meglet

LOL Netleigh, I understand that “how are there 9 when there should be 1???” mystery. And the “how long can it stay clean” question – I’ve found that if I’ve actually gotten things TRULY organized, and proper places for things, it lasts a lot longer. And by “truly organized” I mean “things are placed in a manner that works/makes sense/is convenient” as opposed to just set somewhere they look nice. This method has kept my usually messy desk actually neat and useable for 10 days now, which I think is almost a record for me. :D

As for my weekend project – yes, I actually cleaned out my closet today!!!! I didn’t realize til I emptied it just how much was actually crammed in there – I spent 4.5 hours emptying, sorting, cleaning, reviewing, and re-organizing. I tried on every piece of clothing in that closet (except for about 4 shirts and 2 pairs of pants) to make sure they actually fit, looked nice, and will be something I will wear. And, most importantly, I gave myself permission to get rid of ANYTHING I didn’t love, even if I’d never worn it.

In the end, I emptied off 47 hangars, mostly shirts and sweaters but also quite a few jackets from the hall closet, and a few skirts. So now I have 3 large bags of clothes to take to the donation place, along with some picture frames and other random items that had been stuffed into the back of the closet for storage.

Well done, Meglet!

Netleigh

Meglet, impressive haul for donation, it’s liberating to release the clothes you don’t love.

I think I need to review the brown clothes I still own as I’ve found that I rarely feel like wearing them, yet I have hung onto them because I have one brown top that I love. I may need to decide they are just not a colour range that I feel as comfortable in as others.

I think things(like 9 pens) build up beside the bed because,
    1. that’s where I do handbag swapping and sometimes deal with appointment cards that need to be entered into my phone.
    2. I end up taking a list making notebook to bed with a pen from somewhere else in the house. Curled up in bed is a comfortable planning place for me. The notebook seems to relocate afterwards but the pens stay.
    Either I need to do a PEEP pass for the stray items more often or have a little box of things that are really destined for my ‘office’ to take through whenever I’m going that way.

Today I will hem the trousers, do the ironing pile and hopefully sort out a capsule autumn wardrobe to prepare for the autumnal touch in the air.

PJ

Meglet, that *is* a really impressive haul for donation! Good for you! I anticipate much the same when I get around to doing my clothes …

Netleigh, a bit of a routine that I’ve established is that when I put on my glasses in the morning, I also pick up my phone and anything else that might be on my bedside table, and can drop things off in the kitchen and such as I go to get the day started.

Netleigh

PJ, I do think my tolerance of clutter is changing, but I’ve just not got the ‘tidy person’ routines in place yet.

They were fairly realistic goals for this weekend! I have hemmed the trousers, done all the ironing, the two pairs of work trousers are hanging out to begin the Autumn capsule wardrobe.

I have declared one summer skirt and 2 t-shirts to be ready for retiring as they are looking all faded. Another skirt will be ready to retire from the work clothes set when I’m fully back into trousers, I will need to downgrade something else from my weekend skirts or get a new one next spring.

However the day has sneaked away and I haven’t yet opened the out of season wardrobe, I might spend 15 minutes there this evening and spread the decisions on the capsule wardrobe over a couple of days.

inspirata

Our home office is the project at the moment – I’ve cleared out a lot of the junk but it is still in need of further attention. During the week, though, I might just leave the office for the minute and focus on the more “public” areas of the house, like the kitchen and dining table. We have a baby due mid-November (and who could technically arrive at any time after some complications I’ve had!) so we want to be ready for visitors!

MichelleOhio

I worked on my garage for a while yesterday. I’m trying to go from 30 18 gallon bins to perhaps 8 or 10 (will go down from there as I outgrow my pack ratness). The garage is a one car (which houses a car), but has room on both sides and at the rear. To get past the car into my workshop was requiring a dangerous trek of stepping over, around, and through all kinds of obstacles…bikes, a couple piles of “need to go through” boxes and bags, etc. I now have a wider, clear path, but only a couple bags of stuff were purged. Also a 30 gallon aquarium that hasn’t been used in years…kept just in case. Also an old ceiling fan that had good intentions of being hung. I gathered up a small box for donation and a small box for resale.

Which brings me to my dilemma…stuff that is a bit too nice to donate. What do you guys do with these things? I don’t want to mess with CL or garage sales, but I don’t want to give some things away. Most of what I have would be sporting goods, yard games, Yakima racks for car with accessories, etc. I inherited about 40 rods & reels and tackle boxes full of lures from my Father and they are just sitting there. I was offered $300 at the time and I said no….what was I thinking?!? (That they were worth more, I guess.)

Sorry if all this sounds disjointed, but that’s exactly how I feel about it. I want the stuff gone, but it stays because I don’t know what to do with it. I just keep moving it around. Bah.

Anonymous

This weekend, I’m uncluttering my studio storage room – again!

I had done a thorough clean-out of the place about a month ago, and was very happy with it. I had 2 big bags of trash ready to get tossed, a broken mirror and a bunch of random wood and metal scraps also to go into the trash, 2 big boxes of paper recycling, and a TV and a CD player to donate.

Then the studio administrator tells me I can’t put that quantity of trash into their bins, because the city doesn’t pick up their trash – there’s apparently just not enough to make it worthwhile for them (?!). So I have to either take it to the dump myself or take it to a dumpster behind a nearby restaurant which agreed to occasionally let the studio tenants dump stuff. Problem is, I can’t haul all this stuff down 3 flights of stairs during opening hours when there are students all around, so I’ve been waiting to have a free moment outside opening hours, and in the meantime all the trash, recycling and donation stuff went right back into storage. At least it’s all dry refuse, so there’s no chance of it smelling up the place.

On top of that, we’ve been bringing in more stuff that we need to keep near the studio, our tenants have also brought in stuff, and when we got our mirrors delivered, they came in this huge carbdoard box that now takes up half the storage area. The delivery company refused to take it back, and now we have to find time to cut it up and then drop it off for recycling.

The good news is, we set aside Saturday afternoon to get all this done. We’re getting a car, packing up everything that can be donated, and doing one big home+studio donation haul. We’re waiting until after afternoon classes are over and taking all our trash and recycling out. And, if we have time, I’m also taking a quick trip to Ikea to buy some small storage boxes to hold all the odds and ends we’ve been stashing on shelves.

Wish me luck! (Hmm, maybe I should take before-and-after pictures…)

clutterbug22

Good Luck, Anita! Sounds a bit of a hassle though. Would love to see ‘Before and After’ pics, bet you’ll be relieved when it’s all cleared.

Anita — sounds ambitious, but do-able. Would LOOOVE to see photos!

DH has Monday off (Columbus Day) and I hope to leverage that to get some work out of him. He wants to go on some long walks this weekend, but I’m not going with him unless we get some of the chores done. I have stuff that needs to be hauled out of and into the attic (I could do it myself, but it would take HOURS — it’s a quick job with someone handing the stuff up and down the rickety stairs) and the lawn really, really needs mowing.

lucy1965

Is anyone else having their posts eaten? This is twice now I’ve responded and my reply’s disappeared.

clutterbug22

Not noticed any problem with my posts lucy1965, (touch wood)

djk

Not recently, but I have had that happen before, several times

Ella

It has happened to me so many times that by now I’ve gotten in the habit of copying my post first before I hit the “send post” button. Then when the first try disappears, I just paste it in again. I admit, it took me a loooong time and many lost posts and much cursing before I got into the copy habit.

Anonymous

@lucy, hasn’t happened to me lately, but it used to happen regularly. The “copy before posing” trick is great to prevent that, but as Ella says, it takes a while to build the habit.

My studio storage room is uncluttered! I have the “before” photo on my phone, but haven’t taken the “after” yet. All the stuff that was going to leave has left, but I haven’t had a chance to put in my new organizing boxes (bought them, just haven’t taken them to the studio yet), so I’ll post pics once it’s all done.

Swede

@Anita – Yay pics! I’m looking forward to it. :)

Netleigh

Bookshelves no 3, shelves need respacing as they now have randomly stacked items from removal of bookcase no 1.
    Bookcase no 2 was re-spaced in the week but was a smaller job, still some randomly stacked items to go through on them.
    I will get there with these shelves this month.

sleepykitten

Well, its the last weekend in February and the month has flown by. I’m exhausted and feeling very blah today – but sometimes uncluttering cheers me up! Does anyone have any plans for the weekend to close out the month strong?

I still need to unclutter papers and digital stuff – both are slow going. I have been itching to do a count of my things/home inventory and get a better sense of what I have. I’ve got some Home Cure style fix-it projects that need to happen. And I need to unclutter some extra fat. Not all that is going to happen in a weekend, though, and I am having trouble coming up with ambitious-yet-doable short term goals!

What are you all working on this weekend?

I’m hoping to get some work out of DH this weekend. Specifically: (1) Put up the hooks to hold the pool skimmers on the side of the house. (2) Install the garage door sweeps to keep the leaves out (3) Replace a broken on the side of the house. This really isn’t too much to ask, and the (small) projects have been lingering for a while.

We’re pretty much tied up on Saturday — a 10K walk in Johnson City (about an hour away) followed by a visit to DH’s cousins about an hour further on. If it’s clear on Sunday (the forecast is sunny and 75) I’ll get some more yard work done.

chacha1

I have the following weekend to-dos: some minor gardening; mail out an order and update the Etsy store; wrap up the bookkeeping entries from my credit card statements; polish my brown shoes & boots; practice tonight, performance tomorrow, and coaching Sunday; and thaw out the pork roast for the slow cooker on Monday.

Am probably not going to finish the last of my “February Goals”, it will get pushed to March, oh well. Am tired and would rather read than write, right now.

Thanks for bumping up this thread, sk.

I’m [rather surprised to find that], yes, my tolerance levels are shifting. As mentioned elsewhere I’m having to work from home this term; this week my roommate/sister is here more during the day and not leaving for the weekend, plus we’ve had our little brother visiting all week. No major problems, just that I can’t stand the level of “active clutter” that accumulates by midday, so then I have to find a way to [politely/joyfully/firmly] ask that everyone take 15 minutes to tidy up. Makes me awfully popular around here. :P

Anyway, this weekend is unusual in that way (so I’m glad I killed my paper monster last weekend, or it would not have happened in Feb!). Not particularly relevant for this thread or for inspiring @sleepykitten or anyone else, but I need to unclutter my writing and parawriting tasks:
    - submit all March 1 conference abstracts
    - finish off and mail three packets
    - give my independent tutoring students their study outlines thru 3/31
    - send current section of my chapter to a reader
    - skim/read recent newsletters/devotionals
    - send follow-up emails to prospective grads & 3 recent conference presenters
    - try dictation software for first sketch of next chapter (seems I’m always typing, and maybe it’s easier to talk through my new ideas)
    - clear out tickler file, send birthday cards, etc.
    - plan work for next week to meet Mar 1 writing goal.

Good heavens–I wish I did have another urgent uncluttering project instead. I’d rather clean out a closet. :)

mdfloyd

I’m getting my super-duper overpriced SnapScan tomorrow, so I’ll be wrangling with paper all weekend. Today I downloaded the DevonThink software and have been trying to figure it out to see if it’s worth the price for me.

Meglet

Ooh, this is a good thread to have bumped.

This weekend, I’m hoping to unclutter the last of the random piles from moving – you know those things that get unpacked so you can call the box “empty” but don’t really have a home, so they get thrown in a corner? Or you unpack a box of stuff that used to be the perfect amount for a spot, only it turns out the new place is smaller so you need less of them, and the extras get thrown in a corner? Yeah, I have a few of those.

It would really help if I could get a good “Outbox” spot identified, too, as right now the donations are in a pile basically in the middle of everything, and visible the minute I walk in the door. But, there’s piles in the way of anywhere that would be a good “Outbox”. . . .

And lastly, I’ll be “uncluttering” my old laptop, getting all the files transferred to the new laptop and programs installed and swapping all the cabling around.

ChiFlower

I have got 3 random boxes out of my storage unit and will see how far I get with tackling the contents.

Hopefully having a friend remove my fridge-freezer from my storage unit on Sunday afternoon. He’s buying it off me and going to use it as a beer fridge.

sleepykitten

@Prof Clutter – Busy weekend, eh? :) I know what you mean about wishing you had an uncluttering project instead – sometimes I unclutter as a form of “productive procrastination.” I can’t handle doing my “real” work all the time, and I also find a clean and spacious room to work in does wonders for my mood.

Still having a hard time setting goals for myself this weekend – I think I’ll start by just cleaning up and PEEPING, with an eye toward things that can be uncluttered.

Good luck, everyone!

lucy1965

There seems to be a case of “Benchley’s Law”itis going around. *grins*

(Benchley’s Law: Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it’s not the work they’re actually supposed to be doing. Around here we also call it “cat vacuuming”.)

Looking out my window, the weather appears to be taking the express handbasket to Hades, so I have no idea what we’re doing. I’d like to start on a couple of DH’s boxes, but . . . .

Sky

This weekend I am SO hoping DH gets his unused, big, ugly, work-out equipment out of our office. It takes up so much room. If he used it I would feel differently but 5 years?? Gotta go.

sleepykitten

@Sky – oh, yeah, that’s gotta go if he doesn’t use it. There’s a lot you can do just with body weight and maybe dumbells or a kettlebell…since I’m female, I’m not sure the “best sites” for a guy, but I’ve definitely seen body weight exercises around the internet, and the guys doing them are not wimps! :)

Meglet

@lucy, LOL. Benchley’s Law indeed!

I’ve made some progress so far, first pile is sorted and (almost) gone – it was all donations, returns, etc. Second pile, I’ve made enough headway that I got one box out of it, which gave me enough room to move a different box over there (more out of the way) and thus finish hooking up my printer, have enough space to hook up the laptop, and just generally feel less crowded.

Hopefully tomorrow I can FINALLY get the new CD shelf built, now that I have enough surface space cleared to empty the current shelves so I can move them all around!

chacha1

Love Benchley’s Law.

Ending up brushing off my gardening tasks because a friend unexpectedly came up needing a computer desk, and we had one we wanted to get rid of. So I spent my gardening time uncluttering, cleaning, and prepping to move the desk … and setting up DH’s computer again on a shelf unit I moved into the home office from the living room.

Both these tasks were part of our planned mid-April re-working of the home office, but if someone is gonna take something off our hands, I don’t mind doing things early!!

Even better … the friend in question is the one handling the redesign of my ballgown. Instead of paying us for the desk, she is adding more bling to the dress. WIN.

Meglet

@chacha1 – Sounds like WIN-WIN all around with that desk!

Let’s see here, how did I do this weekend. . . .

*Got the new laptop in place, although I need to do some more cable management for it.
    *Got the new CD shelf built, and the old 2 out of the way
    *Tackled most of the random moving piles, all that’s left now is a giant box of cable spaghetti, which I will need to sort through with the other 2 non-spaghetti boxes of cables and see what needs to be kept.

Still haven’t identified a good “Outbox” spot, but at least now I have enough clear space to start contemplating that in earnest.

poodle

I’m attacking my kitchen table – again! I get it looking nice, and then before I know it, it’s covered again. There’s a few baskets of clean clothes and towels that need to be folded and put away. And I’ve got some random putting away to do. For example, my washer and dryer are in the utility room outside. When I bought my groceries last weekend, I bought detergent. Well, it’s been sitting on the table in the den all week. I’ve hardly been home all week, and when I think about grabbing it, I’m toting a heavy basket full of clothes. Then, I tell myself I’ll bring it when I transfer the wet clothes to the dryer. But because laundry is never ending, I’m usually toting another basket outside to start when the current load is ready for the dryer. But, I will get it put away!!

lucy1965

I bought a huge plastic bin at Costco earlier in the week, and I’m going to unpack the contents of the last of DH’s cardboard boxes into it this weekend, and then break down all but one of the boxes and get them out. The last one will be for the latest round of worn-out electronics that need to go to the recycler’s: I’ve got a five-year-old bricked router, a pair of broken headphones and an ancient Palm Pilot that won’t even boot, and this printer is probably on its way to Silicon Heaven within the next couple of months.

chacha1

I don’t actually have any “uncluttering” on my to-do list this weekend. Tomorrow I’m having a play date with my coven of crafty girlfriends, then going for coaching.

Sunday I’m supposed to be meeting a photographer for a magazine article, I also have to get groceries, I need to publish novella #6 which means making a cover image, need to do some photography and updates for the Etsy store, AND need to kill some plants and do some re-potting. Maybe that qualifies as uncluttering. :-) But yikes, it’s worse than I thought.

Ella

I’m decluttering the top of my sideboard, which became a catch-all while I was sick these past weeks. Tissue boxes, bottles of snake oil, unopened mail, half-read magazines, stray papers every which way, basically anything that I was too weak, too feckless to PEEP.

Meglet

So much to do this weekend:

*Build the new DVD shelf, which will replace at least 2 and maybe all 3 current DVD shelves
    *start PEEPing the living room – it seems like every surface is covered in the lat random bits of stuff that came out of moving boxes but didn’t have a home
    *Get the artwork and frames out of the bedroom and into a spot where I can start sorting through it (and where they’re no longer in the way of putting those last 2 under-bed boxes UNDER THE BED.)
    *thinking about tackling the corners of the kitchen counter – it seems like both ends have become the scary catch-all for homeless kitchen items.

irishbell

Ella- bottles of snake oil…So that’s your secret cure? lol

Meglet

Bottles of snake oil” – ha, I missed that the first time around! Too funny!

Crossed off a bunch of my list today, which means less to do tomorrow:

*Built the new DVD shelf, which did indeed replace all 3 of the other shelves
    *Got the artwork and frames out of the bedroom into the “hallway” where I will trip on them continually until I get them up on the wall. :D Also got the 2 boxes under the bed.
    *Got annoyed with the kitchen counters while trying to make lunch, PEEP’d one end and swept the whole other end into a box and chucked it into the hall closet. BAD ME!! But in my defense, most of it will end up sorted into the “baking” cubby that’s stored in that closet anyway.

Did NOT get started on the rest of the Living Room, because the plan is to gather EVERYTHING that needs a home onto the end of my desk, then sort from there, and I needed that desk space for DVDs while building the shelf. That’s OK though, because that’s an easy one to start tomorrow and chip away at over the week if I need to.

Ella

So far I’ve PEEPed 50 items off the sideboard, and I still can’t see the surface yet. :(

Ella

Now I’ve PEEPed 101 items, and I can finally see some clear patches of the surface. That’s enough for tonight, I’ll finish tomorrow. Tired!

Ella

Yay, I did it! Completely decluttered my sideboard and PEEPed 154 items (several into the trash). Polished the wood and dusted the things that belong there: lamp, crystal water carafe, bowl of lemons, bowl of apples, and antique wooden spice box.

I’m proud of myself! I’ve been getting sick and tired of setting intentions and failing to follow through, or only doing it half-assed. This time I did it whole-assed!

irishbell

A whole ass beats a half ass any day!! lolol

Meglet

Woohoo, congrats Ella! I bet that sideboard looks so much better now, it certainly sounds pretty.

I’ve mostly completed the major PEEP on the living room – I collected all the homeless objects onto my desk, then got them all properly dispersed to their new places. I have about 5 little objects left (teapot, key dish, little animal statues) and 2 spots to fill (where of course none of those 5 objects fit) but overall it already looks SO much better in here. Oh, and 2 giant DVD box sets that I need to find a home for (although what I probably REALLY need to do is sell at least one of them, if not both, because they’re available via online streaming.)

herisff

… the first pass on my taxes – done! And so far, what I get back from the Feds will go to pay state taxes, so it’s an even wash which just thrills me. I’ll give my brain a rest until mid-week or so, then review, finalize and pay. And then I can scan in all the documentation that’s cluttering up my desk, and get ready for the current calendar year!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.