Home Forums Challenges The Digital Project

This topic contains 64 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of ninakk ninakk 1 year, 5 months ago.

• Author
    ninakk

I’m pretty confident about the physical part of home management, but the digital part is still a mess with no established routines to streamline all sources of incoming stuff.

There is no clear vision of what I want other than “less chaos”, so the project will evolve for certain, and its only rule is not to increase chaos; I think that’s doable.

My first step will be to corral photos on iPhone, iPad, in iPhoto and Finder inboxes into a few messy piles. I can’t handle mess everywhere, but need clean sheets in the mobile devices.

I’ve just copied 400 photos from iPhoto to an inbox created in Finder under Documents. These photos are just snapshots of various tidbits of information and it doesn’t make any sense to have iPhoto handle them when I have both Bento and Leap for Mac (Bento is a database and Leap allows efficient organising of all files through tags rather than folders). Once they were moved, I deleted them from iPhoto and iPhone. The other day I did the same with several hundred “photos” as well, so the amount is quickly decreasing on the iPhone.

I don’t need more deadlines right now, but will pick up where I left when I feel like it. Join me if you want! And feel free to make up your own rules too!

Ella

The Digital Project

ninakk: So glad to see you back with us! (((hogs and kisses!)))
    Wishing you all the best that this system works well for you, and you won’t have to shuffle things around anymore. Who knew we’d all be spending so much of our adult lives deleting stuff?!

ninakk

The Digital Project

Thanks Ella, hogs and kisses back at ‘ya! I think the worst is that since I sometimes grab the phone camera a bit too easily, there’s crap to weed away and what remains still needs to be identified (tagged or added to the database) or I will never try all the recipes or sew things etc.

Swede

The Digital Project

Nothing to add in this thread as my pictures are currently a mess (don’t understand why the deleted pictures from my camera roll still appears in the photo stream on my phone?? I really need to learn this icloud thing bc I’m clearly doing something wrong.) but I did want to say welcome back ninakk!! You were missed here. :)

ninakk

The Digital Project

Swede, thanks :) You have to delete a photo from both iPhone and iPhoto (not just move to trash but delete from there too) or it keeps copying it back from iPhoto to iPhone, unless you have chosen Delete original or whatever when you upload to the computer.

Swede

The Digital Project

Thanks but I don’t use iPhoto. :/ I have a PC and I just transfer the pics to my laptop as if it was a camera… I thought they would automatically go away from the photostream? Or is there a setting for it?

pkilmain

The Digital Project

I have the same setup Swede. You have to physically delete the photos from your phone, and be sure they are marked not to sync with your phone.

ninakk

The Digital Project

I had a bunch of emails looking really annoying, started deleting and ended up on 110 trashed ones within minutes.

Also made a decision to close a cooking blog. In theory, it is really nice to have it, but I just don’t have time for it. Have to check anything related to that email address too, but it’s a big thing to have finally come to a conclusion, as I’ve been rowing back and forth on this one for a few months already. I’ll leave the detective work for another day, because the other accounts will go then too and my day is full already.

ninakk

The Digital Project

To motivate myself, I will keep track of numbers; emails, bookmarks, files, accounts, etc.
    Numbers don’t lie and I’d like to see the progress.
    What I add to ATAD will be physical stuff only then.

Blogs: 1
    Emails: 160

ninakk

The Digital Project

Accounts: 2
    Blogs: 1
    Emails: 570

Numerous subfolders and folders were deleted during my break as well.

I haven’t deleted any bookmarks recently, but in November during my bigger cleaning, 335 went out. There’s still a long way to go before I’ve processed all existing ones, as there are only very few blogs etc. that I read frequently. Today I got the idea to resemble efficient googling to the grocery store keeping my extended pantry or the library my extended bookshelf. Sometimes I’m a bit slow at these things but better late than never… :D

ninakk

The Digital Project

Slowly I’m beginning to see tasks that should get done on a regular basis, to avoid the chaos I’m currently amidst. Will get back to that another time, but I realise I’ve forgotten to talk about the January project that was supposed to happen. Only I just didn’t have the energy for it, nor motivation.

It was supposed to be about assembling a final version of all important data and documents, streamlining paper with digital format, etc. As a project really meaningful, but of such magnitude that I would never have been able to finish within the planned time frame.

So I’m skipping monthly organising projects of the unique kind and am choosing to allow motivation to flourish and blah blah, be nice to myself. Because it would suck not to get all the information collected.

2013 is about doing some unique projects that span cleaning and organising simultaneously, but it will also be about finding out what I should do how often on a regular basis, say daily, weekly or monthly.

The cleaning up that I’ve been doing so far is also unique is one sense, because it won’t happen again. I hate the mess too much.

ninakk

The Digital Project

Hmm. I quite unceremoniously deleted another blog, cheered on by yesterday’s successful punch into oblivion. Everything I wrote (and there was lots of it, both short and long) just gone. Feels rejuvenating, refreshing, to get rid of dead weight like that. I never intended to keep writing the one deleted today, yet hung onto it for some reason. Clutter… No more.

Accounts: 2
    Blogs: 2
    Emails: 570

s

The Digital Project

Ninakk, I thought you were dumping other people’s blogs, but you’re talking about your own, aren’t you? Congrats either way!

ninakk

The Digital Project

Accounts: 4
    Blogs: 2
    Emails: 610

s, indeed. Two blogs of mine down so far (this year…)… Several hundred posts gone poof. I tried spreading out according to theme, but it just doesn’t work for me.
    *shakes her head and flashes an amused grin*

ninakk

The Digital Project

Accounts: 5
    Blogs: 3
    Emails: 620

djk

The Digital Project

Wow, ninakk! Well done ?

sleepykitten

The Digital Project

Yes, we are all cheering you on!

lucy1965

The Digital Project

Yay, nina!

sleepykitten

The Digital Project

OK, @ninakk – I decided I need to join you with the digital project. I like your idea to track the number of items from different categories deleted. So let me start by defining my categories, which are slightly different than yours. Everything is zero for now, but I hope to move along quickly!

emails: 0
    accounts: 0
    bookmarks: 0
    files: 0

ninakk

The Digital Project

Thanks for the cheering, lovelies!

sleepykitten, I horse-laughed… I was just getting started and have reached neither bookmarks nor files yet :D The numbers I have so far are just the categories that I’ve tackled this month! I have some software that needs to go, too, so those will be put in their own group.

Accounts: 6

ETA:
    Files: 26
    Software: 1

sleepykitten

The Digital Project

@ninakk – ahhh…I see. :) But you went for the “big wins” first – deleting entire BLOGS! I might also have software that needs to go as well, actually. Not sure, but it is worth a look.

This is sort of a Sisyphean project, because as I’ve been deleting e-mails, more e-mails have been arriving! Nonetheless, I am still going to count everything I delete – and my hope is that I can catch up over time. I was tackling digital clutter for 15 minutes a day a while back…I might need to start doing that again. I made some headway, but I still have a long ways to go.

emails: 283
    accounts: 0
    bookmarks: 219
    files: 0
    software: 0

sleepykitten

The Digital Project

Confession Time: A LOT of my bookmarks are articles about simplicity/minimalism. I should delete those, right? I mean…I have “minimalism clutter”. But they are so inspiring!

Anonymous

The Digital Project

sleepykitten: only after you’ve shared them with us! I need help procrastinating :)

sleepykitten

The Digital Project

@klutzgrrl – I’m not going to do that to you (plus I did end up deleting most of them to stay sane)! However, I will give you a list of the blogs they came from…many of which are pretty standard go-to blogs, I think. The trick is that I need to find a way to go to these for inspiration from time to time without feeling the need to SAVE everything I see on them.

– Be More With Less
    - The Minimalists
    - Unclutterer (of course!!!)
    - 99u (this is more productivity/creativity oriented, but there is some overlap, and it is awesome)
    - Miss Minimalist
    - Living Lagom (this one is less commonly referenced…I like her piece about owning two dresses and the concept of “Lagom” meaning “just enough”)
    - Brooks Palmer ClutterBusting
    - Zen Habits
    - Happiness Project (often about uncluttering)
    - Apartment Therapy (sometimes about uncluttering…sometimes about buying pretty things…you have to tread carefully)

ninakk

The Digital Project

Bookmarks: 15
    Files: 26

sleepykitten, I’ve been thinking a bit about what you wrote regarding link hoarding. As I see it, blog articles could usually be condensed quite a bit, but many bloggers keep rambling and thereby burying the nutshell version into lots of words.

I have to ponder this, but a solution might be to either pick a quote or write a short version of a couple of sentences tops into a digital journal of one’s own (think five-year diary with limited space for each day). A link to the article in question could be added, should one want to re-read it later. Easy access could happen through some kind of tagging system.

sleepykitten

The Digital Project

@ninakk – I think you are right about picking a quote or some other piece of wisdom. I am trying to use Evernote going forward, and it has a nice web clipper function where you can highlight a bit of text and easily save it along with the link. I also do like the idea of an actual journal where one re-types the important points – because that also would help commit them to memory.

For now, I need to be fairly ruthless, I think, and clear out the backlog. Moving forward, I do need to save only the most important bits!

ninakk

The Digital Project

There is power in cleaning up and starting from scratch. It’s like with information dependence; one will always miss out on something, but there might be many more things gained from a true tabula rasa. I’m taking that approach right now.

The food links are another chapter. I’ve already collected lots of them and that has happened for a reason. They are on holy mess though, so I’m chucking them into folders for easier comparison. The same way as I would first collect all knives and only afterwards make informed choices on which to keep and which to get rid of.

It doesn’t help that I’ve mixed individual recipes with general blog links… Oh well, live and learn.

Anonymous

The Digital Project

thanks for those sleepykitten! There’s a couple I haven’t seen before, and a few I haven’t visited in too long :)

I hate to think how many various accounts I must have… I do rather like the idea of completely cutting away everything and starting afresh, but then, I also have an attachment to some accounts that I’ve had for years, especially a couple of gaming ones.

At one point I did just get rid of all my bookmarks, it was getting to the point where I had more luck in finding a site on Google than finding it in my bookmark folder. And there was too much outdated rubbish.

ninakk

The Digital Project

epiphany. i looked at journaling software for mac, read some comments on some reviews and got the idea to look at something closer to home; bento. I still dislike how the new ipad version works, a great deal in fact, but the desktop version is fine. I doubt i would want to have a diary on the go anyway, so i would simply not sync that template with iphone or ipad.

here is a rudimentary version of a diary template, to give you an idea of what it could look like:
    http://solutions.filemaker.com/database-templates/detail.jsp?serial=2550449

internal links to all other templates can be created, photos can be posted, music and url’s added, etc. and smart collections pulled from all entries to single out specific categories, for instance films watched.

next, i realised i could use bento in planning of business blogs too. i’ve been oh so slow, glad the brain woke up.

The Digital Project

I’m following this thread. I respect those of you who are doing this; I admire ninakk for being mindfully in a position to take drastic steps and to write of the “power in cleaning up and starting from scratch.” But I know I am not there yet. I’m only a recent and rather feeble unclutterer, and I don’t get a feeling of joy or relief at getting physical clutter cleared out of the house. The relief might be a week or so later when the “new look” is settled. Then I find the clear surfaces and tidy shelves calming. But the process of deciding and the removal itself is still stressful to me. I list my items on the ATAD thread because the inventory process helps me to let go.

I haven’t really started with digital clutter yet, but I’m particularly resistant to that, since my email account was hacked a year and a half ago. I regained access to the account, but ALL messages sent or received had been deleted. That was my central archive for everything–personal/academic/professional for over three years, but I had only trusted it to the cloud, not backed it up on my hard drive.
    Some colleagues suggested it might be a relief to have all that baggage cleared away and to start new, but that was the opposite of how I felt. And I was having medical difficulties about that time anyway, so it was sort of the last straw. I pretty much collapsed that quarter and then had to go on medical leave because of pathological fatigue and exhaustion (not because of the email situation, of course, but the medical condition made it harder to deal with such setbacks). And then last fall, my laptop was erratically restarting without warning, so I had some minor data loss and got anxious about that. I backed up persistently and ended up buying a new computer . . . I do need to tend to duplicate backups and versions of the same papers and at least eliminate redundancy. I should also cull out unneeded files and photos.

Maybe that will be a March project. I’m doing the Jan home cure, Feb I’ll deal with the rest of my paper clutter, and March the digital clutter. But I’m concerned that I’ve been in the depths of clutter for so long that if I surface too quickly, I’ll get the uncluttering equivalent of decompression sickness. :)

Sorry to talk about myself so much–I don’t mean to be a wet blanket. Best wishes on your digital project, and I’ll be happy to hear about your progress.

ninakk

The Digital Project

Prof. C., no worries, share what you want! Sorry about the hacker crap, such an invasion of privacy. I backup at home (two devices) and outside of the home for that very reason.

I tried committing to monthly projects (January was supposed to be about getting all the important documents in order once and for all, and so on), but it is too stressful. I don’t know what I don’t know; it might take ten hours or a hundred.

If it would turn out to be the latter, I would have set myself up for failure even before starting, so now it goes like this “First unique bureaucratic project is the paper stuff and I will work on it when I do”. Simple as that. I have enough of other more important, actual/real deadlines and certainly don’t need deadlines of synthetic kind.

Anonymous

The Digital Project

yeah Prof, it’s actually kind of helpful to read about the struggles that others have – to know we’re not alone in this. I know so many people who seem to do all this stuff so effortlessly and their homes and lives and everything area oh-so-perfect, I just feel like a completely useless kutz in comparison. I’m supposed to have it together by now aren’t I?

Medical hassles suck. I’ve been having some issues too, ongoing stuff, think I’ve sorted one issue and another one comes up, or comes back… so over it. Why can’t I be healthy?

The good thing about doing digital sorting is that it’s a bit of a no-brainer and you can do it while sitting on the couch watching sport or something on TV.

I tried out some fancy backup software the other day and couldn’t get it to work properly – I think there was just too much data. In the end I’m continuing to do what I’ve always done, just drag-and-drop my ‘my documents’ where I file everything, onto my hard drive. The only caution there is to check for any programs that don’t save to My Documents, export your music, photos, and if on linux Tomboy Notes, separately. That kind of thing. But once you build the habit it’s not too hard, and you can see that it’s worked.

s

The Digital Project

Prof C, you’ve expressed things I experience so well! Thank you. Don’t put yourself down at all–you’re one of my inspirations!

The Digital Project

Thanks to each of you for the encouragement. Yes, I certainly understand what you mean about not needing fabricated, synthetic deadlines. This term, though, my work is pretty much I-am-at-least-a-year-and-a-half-behind-the-goal-so-write-as-much-as-possible. And, no matter how I plan or scheme or break down my goals, all my academic work could take X or 10X hours; research takes as long as it takes.

Somehow, the monthly goal and daily uncluttering assignments for the home cure are a great antidote to the neverending foreverness of my research. This is actually the only time a monthly challenge ever worked well for me, so I’ll be glad of the success while knowing that strategy doesn’t always work for me.

Anyway, I don’t mean to derail your conversation here, and all my best wishes on your digital project.

ninakk

The Digital Project

Emails: 812
    Files: 146

sleepykitten

The Digital Project

Keep it up @ninakk! I’ve actually ADDED bookmarks in the last week or so – working on a project that required a lot of self-instruction. Which is often when I turn into a bookmarking fiend, because when you are learning something, you don’t always know what will end up being helpful and what won’t.

I can’t decide whether my digital project reports should be “net” or “gross”…e-mails are coming in all the time as well…

s

The Digital Project

Yay, ninakk!

bandicoot

The Digital Project

deleted: 283 photographs

ninakk

The Digital Project

Nice work, I’m still here too although very infrequently.

Something is changing though; I have this thread in the back of my head constantly and guess that’s what increasing awareness really is. Adding bookmarks on purpose is perfectly fine, but those “I mights” are unnecessary.

sleepykitten, I would not overanalyze this, but would count anything trashed as such; it is still trashed and in my opinion a source is irrelevant.

sleepykitten

The Digital Project

I needed to hear that, @ninakk – the overanalysis stops today! And I need to get back to deleting things…

ninakk

The Digital Project

Good woman.

bandicoot

The Digital Project

nina, this thread has been in the back of my mind too. not in a nagging way….just when i sit down at the computer, i think to myself, o, i shall spend a few minutes clearing stuff.
    i am not doing anything consistent about it….yet….but even inconsistent spasms of activity and intention are hugely better than nothing.

yesterday i opened up google drive to find that every google doc ever sent or received, was still lurking there.
    so i had a field day, deleting stuff.
    maybe 25 documents that were utterly unneeded.

ninakk

The Digital Project

Nice, bandicoot! I added a file to my list below, had just one excel thing in the google docs.

Emails: 912
    Files: 147

The Digital Project

Generally I don’t worry too much about digital clutter — I have plenty of storage space and if I need to find something a search finds it 99% of the time. However . . . I’ve had a volunteer to help me with the work Web site and — oops! I really need to tidy it up. Started today deleting about 20 directories that are no longer used.

I think after that I’ll tidy up the work digital files — have a lot of older versions of documents that are just confising.

chacha1

The Digital Project

I was working on uncluttering my photo archive over the weekend, and since then I’ve been thinking. One thing I definitely do want to do is make books of my best photo collections – I’ve got a lot of really good pictures of classic cars, for example – but there are 100s (okay, 1000s) that are more by way of reminiscey snapshots. Yosemite waterfalls, for example. Or the various incarnations of my patio garden.

They are the sort of thing that my small and far-flung family would like to be able to see. Making books? Incredibly time-consuming, and not cheap either.

So I think I’ve decided to open a Flickr account. That process will motivate me to clear out the marginal pictures (I’ve been a little too permissive), get them shared easily and quickly, and then have all that mental bandwidth released to deal with the bookworthy stuff.

Also, because I almost never take photos with people in them, I don’t have to worry about making things “private.” Everything can be public and simple and aaaaahh.

ninakk

The Digital Project

Just deleted 128 files including a bunch of huge ones, so lots of bytes gone.

Also made a folder called Delete for bookmarks; easy to drag in bookmarks and count only once in a while. 25 gone.

Bookmarks: 40
    Files: 275

Xiro

The Digital Project

I just did something insanely petty, reduced the size of non important photographs, it was really quick and these where scans of paperwork etc… where even being reduced I can zoom in more then enough. I have the space, just making things simple and no larger then they need to be.

The Digital Project

also in the realm of insanely petty: I changed my Chrome browser theme, just because this seems cleaner. And I installed extensions to minimize the wasted space on Google Reader and to use a more readable font there.

Someday …. I’ll have to delete some accounts and clean up my digital act. But I still have physical clutter staring me down first.

ninakk

The Digital Project

I need to sandwich the physical with digital or I get too stressed out by the state of the other.

chacha1

The Digital Project

Spent another hour last night on the photo and music archives. Deleted some more music and then tidied up iTunes a little.

Anonymous

The Digital Project

I keep doing a little bit and then stalling. A few roadblocks – I want to delete an email account I’d created, but I used it to subscribe to my professional organization, which includes several mailing lists! very clunky to change!

I’ve also discovered the great benefit of doing a complete save of everything. I copied my entire old Mac drive onto a hard drive once. Had some information missing – a reference that I’d used for something – in my current computer (I’d copied across folders and things, but some bits and pieces must have been missed) and was able to find it on the old drive. Also some images I’d deleted from my blogger account, thinking they’d moved to my new blog (they hadn’t – it was hotlinking to the blogger images) – I was also able to retrieve them.

So my suggestion is, if you’re getting a new computer, do a complete disk backup and store it as an archive. Clutter maybe but it’s only small and very useful.

ninakk

The Digital Project

Bookmarks: 220
    Files: 275

180 bookmarks individually processed (some deleted immediately, a huge bunch made into pdf’s), then deleted. I’ve concluded that I’m at a stage where I’m still trying to figure out whose sewing tutorials and recipes are worth following/collecting, so progress is slow. And for once I’m fine with that; at least it’s getting properly done this time.

klutzgrrl, hang in there, I know very well those roadblocks… It’s unbelievably slow at times, but the upside is that we are more aware from now on, less prone to make a huge mess with what will happen in the future.

Digital clutter is worse than physical, because nobody is quite the guru at teaching how to deal with everyday online stuff. There’s the typical “Ah, just delete all your bookmarks/email/whatever and be done with it!” or “Make a huge purge and live happily ever after”, but how can it be happy if nobody is discussing the routines? How to prevent a similar mess from happening again? Hence this thread.

ninakk

The Digital Project

Emails: 1010
    Files: 400
    Photos: 200

s

The Digital Project

Ninakk, I think digital isn’t talked about so much because EVERYone seems to file things differently. At least with paper, it’s a bit easier to flip through stuff to find it, too. But I’ve been searching for digital organizing tips for years.

sleepykitten

The Digital Project

The routines absolutely are critical. I am still in the habit of bookmarking everything, using my e-mail inbox as a storage space (i.e., not deleting or sorting e-mails), etc. But I’m being as mindful as possible and seeing some (slow) improvement.

I spent quite some time deciding on file naming conventions for myself – except that everyone else names things they share with me differently. *sigh*

ninakk

The Digital Project

s, I think it’s more about when and [i]how to do things rather than what[/i] in the sense that if you compare digital stuff to physical stuff, everyone understands some type of cleaning should happen on a frequent basis or a home develops into a health hazard.

We discuss – very eagerly at times! – our cleaning routines on weekly, monthly, and (half-)yearly levels, but the same thinking hasn’t translated to the digital world yet, even though many claim to prefer paper-free now.

I just have this feeling that each and everyone of us is accumulating more without having a real strategy in place. Of course there are exceptions, but the general consensus is that we have complex filing systems, we save because there’s space on externals and the cloud as well, and so on.

I love Leap for Mac. I have such a hard time going through documents that are in folders now, because they slow the process down immensely. It’s liberating to be allowed to think in several contexts (tags) per one file, rather than a single folder in a rigid system. If you’re on Windows, is there some software out there that would do the same?

ninakk

The Digital Project

Emails: 1215
    Email lists: 1
    Files: 400

And just like that, in a few clicks, did I get rid of 205 more emails.

ninakk

The Digital Project

Files: 416
    Software: 5

I’d love to start afresh with a new computer… A ghastly thought just occurred to me; the free fonts… AAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh. There’s plenty to get rid of there.

ninakk

The Digital Project

Files: 590
    Photos: 208
    Software: 8

ninakk

The Digital Project

Bookmarks: 358
    Files: 590

138 more bookmarks out; individually assessed. Sloooooooooooow.

Ella

The Digital Project

ninakk: Just curious… about how much time do you spend on this each day?

ninakk

The Digital Project

I’ve been ill for over a week, so a lot more than normally. I’m finally feeling better and won’t be sitting at the computer as much.

ninakk

The Digital Project

Bookmarks: 511
    Files: 620

This is until 28 February.

ninakk

The Digital Project

From 1 March:

Bookmarks: 515
    Emails: 1325
    Email lists: 2
    Files: 624

ninakk

Bookmarks: 593
    Emails: 1586
    Email lists: 2
    Files: 672
    Fonts: 125

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.