Home Forums Challenges Staircase Storage…

This topic contains 12 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Shinchan Shinchan 4 years ago.

• Author

I live on the bottom floor of a duplex. To rent the house out as two separate apartments, my landlord covered up the top of our staircase many years ago, leaving a closed-off staircase (we call it the Stairway to Heaven).

We have limited storage space in the apartment, and have been trying to take advantage of this awkwardly-shaped space. We’ve stacked some camping and sporting equipment, but it’s pretty precarious and things tend to come tumbling down (the cat was almost killed by a rogue rollerblade last night).

The only solutions we have so far are a gate across the bottom, and some rope going from stud to stud to hold tall things like hockey and lacrosse sticks against the walls.

It’s an unusual conundrum, but any suggestions on how to organize stuff on stairs?

Profile photo of Honore
    Honore

Staircase Storage…

That’s quite a unique storage area you have…and a unique problem. Bungee cords come to mind. Perhaps screw small hooks into the walls at each step and stretch a bungee cord across to keep things in place. Also, storage containers could help things not “get away” too easily, but the containers would have to be narrow.

Welcome to the forum, Aim4WhirledPeas. :)

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Staircase Storage…

I was thinking along the same lines as Honore, but using tension rods across the stairs so things don’t tumble down.

actually, my very first thought was what a great bookshelf a staircase would be, with a path in the middle to have access

Profile photo of lottielot
    lottielot

Staircase Storage…

shelves down the walls at the side of the stairs if they’re wide enough? We have a very steep staircase to our loft and have a washing rack which is on a pulley system from the ceiling. Obviously we put wet washing on ours, but maybe you could adapt this idea for other storage? They’re pretty strong, our wet washing weighs a ton! It depends what you want to store there really, they make bike holders on a similar pulley system, maybe you could check out ‘garage storage ideas’ online as they quite often have storage hanging from the ceiling. I think you need to think vertically in terms of space above the stairs, or some form of shelving along the walls. Storing on the stairs themselves seems a bit impractical!

Profile photo of Rozzie
    Rozzie

Staircase Storage…

Thanks! I hadn’t thought about bungee cords or tension rods before – I need to look into that. I appreciate all the feedback!

Profile photo of Rozzie
    Rozzie

Staircase Storage…

I’m sorry. I just reread. I was thinking of UNDER the steps storage. Clearly you are talking about using the staircase itself as storage. That would be a whole different thing. Ignore my above post. ;)

Staircase Storage…

No problem, Rozzie, I appreciate the good intentions :)

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Staircase Storage…

…and…because Martha’s always right…

http://www.marthastewart.com/photogallery/25-closet-storage-and-office-organizers#slide_25

Profile photo of lottielot
    lottielot

Staircase Storage…

oh yeah, love that one! Martha loves pegboard too, a whole wall of that up one side of the stairs would be fantastic storage :)

Profile photo of bandicoot
    bandicoot

Staircase Storage…

pegboard up the wall side and books up the other… fabulous!

Profile photo of Rozzie
    Rozzie

Staircase Storage…

Whatdya know…found one possibility right here on unclutter.com
    http://unclutterer.com/2007/06/01/under-stairs-storage-brilliant/

Probably more than you want to do for a rented home, though.

Profile photo of Shinchan
    Shinchan

Staircase Storage…

Assuming that there is a wall on each side of the stairs:

http://www.amazon.com/North-States-Top-Notch-Plastic-Pressure/dp/B0002JETNS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1289935661&sr=8-2

at least for the top few stairs, just toss some stuff in and work your way down…

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.