Home Forums Welcome Hello! Peter Walsh's January Organizing Challenge

This topic contains 328 replies, has 34 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of clutterbug22 clutterbug22 1 year, 9 months ago.

• Author

For those of you who like Peter Walsh, he is doing an organizing challenge for January called #31Days2GetOrganized. I saw it on Facebook but the daily videos can be seen on YouTube as well. Today’s challenge is to take ten minutes to go through a room and put away things that are out of place.

Because I have specific projects I need to work on this year along with an erratic work schedule, the Home Cure won’t work for me. I’m planning to follow Walsh’s January tips to give myself a little jump start into the new year.

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

Peter Walsh's January Organizing Challenge

I do like Peter Walsh. I have just listened to It’s All too Much on my iPod.

Thanks for letting us know about that, happymonkey!

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

I love Peter Walsh! Thanks happymonkey, I’ll check it out.

Done the task for today – 10 mins tidying and putting away, focussing especially in the living room putting away Christmas items.

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

I did the task for today, too. It wasn’t so hard, thanks to Unclutterer, Brooks Palmer, and Peter!

Profile photo of bandicoot
    bandicoot

my internet is spotty and i cannot get youtube consistently.
    and i don’t do facebook.
    if anyone would care to update this thread occasionally with the task du jour, i would love to join in.
    i don’t imagine they will clash with the apartment therapy home cure that is starting any minute.

I friended him and will give it a shot. Thanks for the heads-up!

bandicoot,
    I don’t do facebook or twitter etc but I managed to get the task by Googling PeterWalshblog.com. It seems the latest entry was Nov 2011 on the page I get but there is a column under the twitter heading and you can see the heading ‘Day 1′. Click on the text and it takes you to the video.

Anyway, Day 1 was to do a quick tidy for 10 mins, preferably in the living room and ideally focusing on the Christmas/holiday items (not the actual decorations) that could be put away for example I suppose, new presents peeped, old bits of wrapping in bin, empty chocolate boxes laying around lol! (my examples, not his!)

Here’s Day 2 of the challenge as posted on Facebook:

Day 2: Sock It To Me! Here’s today’s ten minute challenge. Empty your sock drawer onto your bed. Immediately sort pairs together. Discard any single socks, any socks you no longer wear, any frayed or ‘holey’ socks. Arrange like colors/types together and put them back in drawer. Bid the others farewell! Send photos of progress and let me know how you did! #31Days2GetOrganized http://ow.ly/i/1jN13

That was useful! Killed off 5 orphaned socks. Cruel, I know . . .

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

Day 1- I did my 10 minutes tidying up the family room. It seems fine but when I got started, there were things that needed to be put in their places.

Day 2- Did my and DH’s sock drawers. Found 3 lone socks!

bandicoot

thank you happymonkey!

ok, i have ticked both of those off the list.
    my husband has two pairs of mismatched socks…ie four random socks, that he likes to wear as a pair inside gumboots. i eyed them, i pondered, but left them alone.
    my own socks are utterly under control from last winter’s cleanout.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Found another pair of socks to go. Now I have 2 free spots in my honeycomb divider–sort of, since my huge knee-high granny-knitted thick wool ones lie on top because they don’t fit in the little cavities. Love those socks.

Already had PEEP’d the place to prepare for dinner guests and then clean up after them.
    There is just some vino to be put in the bottle bag under the bed, and the champagne flutes are boxed and ready to be put back under the bed. This I will have energy to do tomorrow, I hope, since it involves balancing the mattress on my head and pulling up the bed slats with one hand and using the other to jam everything down:)

Profile photo of badkitti
    badkitti

djk – can you fit one sock in each?

Thanks for posting the updates guys x

Profile photo of mdfloyd
    mdfloyd

Actually, my socks and the drawer they’re in is one of the few areas and things that are always under control!

Profile photo of Rosa
    Rosa

Woot! I matched socks (we have an unmatched sock basket in our bedroom) on New Years Day, so I’m ahead!

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Badkitti, I just tried (thanks for the idea) but they’re so ginormous they don’t fit:) I pack them away in the warmer months and I like them handy in winter, so it’s ok!

well shoot, now I already feel behind and it’s just day #2 and what should be such a simple task. Our socks are in many places, that would be much more than a 10min job for me. I saw where he posted day #3 will be much more challenging..oh my.

momwalker1966,
    Similar situation here so what I’ve decided to do is go through the ironing pile and deal with the matching, ok ones and put them away and any others that need matching or checking, I’m putting them into a carrier bag and keeping an eye for the matching ones when they turn up, to pair up later. All the singles therefore have a reprieve until the end of the month and then they’ll be out!

djk,
    Did you manage to wrestle with the bed yet!!

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Yup. I am the Mighty Contortionist.

Today, a mattress on her head, tomorrow, Cirque de Soleil.

Two days of tasks and I’m already behind! I did Day 1 with no problem, but wasn’t able to get to the socks last night. I’m hoping to do them tonight, but I think this weekend will consist of a lot of ketchupping between this challenge and the modified January cure I’m attempting. Even little changes this month will help to get a good start on the new year, though!

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

LOL, djk!

Our sock drawers weren’t a problem. I keep up with them when I do the laundry. The main thing I need for my laundry situation is a big laundry container that looks nice. It stands in a very visible area.

From Facebook:

Day 3: Keep Your Lid On! Today your task is to tackle all those disposable plastic storage containers that you have in cupboards and drawers in your kitchen. Get them all out onto the kitchen counter. Discard any that don’t have matching lids, that the dishwasher has mangled or that are stained. My rule: no more than 15 plastic storage containers! Here’s the deal: with takeout containers, margarine containers and coleslaw containers there’s a constant inflow of these puppies into your home – the trick is to keep them under control. So … take a deep breath, drag them out and take ten minutes to get it done!! Let me know how you do. #31Days2GetOrganized

Profile photo of Northshore
    Northshore
    Participant

These last two were easy for me. I keep my socks under control already. I didn’t bring any extra plastic containers with me when I moved in 2010. The few I have collected since then have been used to give away food.

@djk, I loved your description of the mattress on your head–if only because I’ve done the same thing when wresting a dust ruffle between a mattress and box spring.

Easy one for me, too, as I do not keep any disposable containers. However, I may empty that cabinet anyway just to tidy it up. It will be a quick job. Whew!

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

I feel like a pro! All 3 day were things already done here. (I have a feeling my pro comment will bite me in the butt soon hehe)

I think that this area is pretty much sorted although I might have a quick check anyway. In fact, we probably need some more storage containers as dh acquisitioned a load just before Christmas to store some hobby stuff in.

@Swede – I also have socks and food storage containers FIRMLY under control. I feel like a pro, too! :)

Profile photo of mdfloyd
    mdfloyd

I have more than 15 containers and they all have matching lids, are not stained or mangled by the dishwasher, and they are all in their correct places in the cabinet. So — Day 2 already accomplished!

Profile photo of pkilmain
    pkilmain

I’m not doing this officially, but it’s fun to see what the actions are. So far I’m good: living room is cleaned of holiday stuff; my socks are usually in order, and my disposable plastic was organized before Christmas. :)

Profile photo of Netleigh
    Netleigh

Isn’t it wonderful to find so many of us have these areas under control, I too have socks and containers in good order. DH has his odd sock home and that is his business as I’m not responsible for his clothes, he is old enough at 58 to take responsibility.

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

I have nine refrigerator containers. One is at my SIL’s, so I may just have eight. :)

If he starts on the paper monster, that’s where I will still have a problem.

pkilmain

Since my DH usually wears boots, he could care less if his socks match. However, he usually buys all the same, black for everyday, thinner black for dress and white for gym.

badkitti

socks done – and the knicker drawer too :) will attempt tupperware tomorrow

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

I have 7 plastic storage containers and they are neatly stacked. I also have glass pyrex with lids. Not sure why I have the plastic ones at all??
    I don’t keep any butter or other empty containers.

I think Peter is taking it easy on us to begin with :)

Profile photo of djk
    djk

I have a few Tupperware-type containers–I’m guessing about 5? Won’t get out of bed to look because it’s dark and I’m under a cosy down duvet at the moment, with enormous wool knee socks on (I’m too sexy for this bed, too sexy!).
    I save glass jars to store pretty much everything in.

Profile photo of RebeccaL
    RebeccaL

I had done the Day 2 & 3 tasks previously, so I took Peter’s suggestion to just find something else to do for 10 minutes. Played 3 songs I knew would run about 10 minutes, and tackled the kitchen monster (aka junk drawer.) HUGE difference!

I like how he’s making it small and simple for people new to the process- it’s so easy to get overwhelmed when you’re starting out.

Profile photo of lottielot
    lottielot

Ooh, I’ve done all 3 already. I throw out socks when I find holes, I don’t bother pairing the kids socks and every so often I pair up and cull dh’s socks. Plastic containers I don’t use much and I culled last year. The 10 minute thing I did after Christmas plus the second dh went back to work I put away all the tree and decorations with the kids help. *polishes halo*
    Can he tell us to tidy our kitchen next? It’s a bomb site!

bandicoot

i will have a sniff through the plastic tomorrow.
    i cleaned and sorted it all just a week ago, but i think there is still too much even though it sits neatly in one basket.
    i use glass jars most of the time nowadays, anyway. hmm.
    thanks for posting day 3, happymonkey!

badkitti

I have gone through the tupperware cupboard – how do I have so many spare lids that don’t fit anything? Will keep them for a week to see if the other halves turn up to head to charity, else in the bin they go as they’re not recycled in my area :(

Today’s task is remote controls: http://ow.ly/gwVun
    Gather up all your remote controls, clean them, and corral them in a basket, along with any DVDs or games that you are CURRENTLY using. Spend no more than 10 minutes on this.

Thanks SIT for the latest task video.

I’d done this months ago, coralling the remotes in a basket, just wish the rest of the family would put them in it! Actually, they are not too bad, it’s when the kids hide the remote from me when I want them to switch over one of their highly irritating kid’s programmes, that’s the problem!

Will clean the remotes and check the labels are still on them, I’d labelled each remote to show which piece of equipment they correspond to.

Thanks for posting today’s task. Fortunately I have techies in the house and we have went to the one remote controlling all the components in each room. We still have way too many tv’s for one household though.

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

I did this, too, and my husband always leaves them on the couch. He has filled the holder with other junk. :(

badkitti

I will have to think carefully about the remotes – they live on the mantlepiece out of the way of toddler fingers. I think they can stay there as eventually they’ll live back on the tv stand but maybe a little basket to keep them in first?

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

My remotes live in a basket on a shelf in the table between DH and my recliners. Cleaned them and the basket and shelf.

Clutterbug, good idea to label them, thanks!

Netleigh

I think we may be remote Luddites, two in normal use for the tv and hard disk recorder that live on the coffee table. Dh sometimes leaves one in the sofa but that’s the only place they get hidden. I also wipe them over regularly when I deal with what has gathered on the coffee table.
    One more for the video that only gets used when someone wants us to transfer an old video to a DVD for them, that one lives on top of the video. I suspect we do not really need to keep the video really but while it still works we occasionally do a favour for friends who have got rid of theirs and as it stacks neatly under the tv it’s not using space that would be useful for anything else.
    Stereo equipment is too old to have remotes, we have to move to switch it on and off, but it was top audio enthusiast quality when bought and is still sounding good.

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

Ok, I seem to be the weird one here… I only have one remote control (for my stereo) so no basket needed. And it’s already clean. :)

pkilmain

I have one per TV (thus 2) from the cable company and they sit in front of their respective TVs when not being used. I have others (DVD player, ones that came with the TV, and one for the compact stereo unit in the basement which is seldom used) and these are in a drawer under the TV. No basket needed here either.

bandicoot

thank you susan!
    remotes are already under control.
    there are four of them and they live in a big ceramic dish on the wooden chest that isn’t really a coffee table.
    now i am back to the plastic.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Got one remote, which lives in a basket with the power cord and tv antenna for our mini tv/DVD player

Profile photo of mdfloyd
    mdfloyd

This one is easy and I can do it right now!

claycat, I had to laugh about your dh, I do sympathise though!

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

I thought I was doing so well then I remembered the bedroom remote!

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

Thanks, clutterbug22! I have to laugh, too! :)

Profile photo of Rosa
    Rosa

I think we lost the remote for our TV. We run the thing through a computer these days, and it has a wireless mouse and keyboard, which live in a drawer in the TV cupboard.

My house is by no means 100% decluttered, but so far each of these missions is something that I had already done, either over Christmas vacation or because I do it regularly. It’s making me feel really good about myself.

bandicoot

rosa, yes, me too.
    it’s a pretty good feeling!

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

@Rosa & bandicoot – Me three! :)

Is there a task for today or is he not doing it over the week-ends?

Just found it.

Day 5
    Grab your partner and spend 10 mins gathering up and taking out things that don’t belong in the bedroom to create a more calm and romantic environment!

pkilmain

One end of our bedroom is DH’s office. If I ignore that part, our bedroom doesn’t really have any excess – no TV either. :)

bandicoot

my ipad lives on my bedside table….it is my alarm clock when i need one, and of course i am a diehard reader-in-bed.
    i’ll move some laundry and apart from that, the bedroom is fine.
    thank you, clutterbug!

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

LOL! He asked us to post after shots, so I did. I think it’s the only one on there. It’s not glamorous, but it’s comfy. :)

Not an option — everything that’s out of place (including the home office mess) belongs to DH and is off limits. I know . . . .

Profile photo of RebeccaL
    RebeccaL

@Claycat- Looks great! Gotta love how a cat in a photo just makes it feel so much cozier!

This challenge took longer than 10 minutes- we had a NYE party, and a bunch of “stuff” stored in the guest bedroom (suitcases, etc.) ended up in ours. Always amazes me how a clean, peaceful (decluttered) bedroom can bring me a sense of calm.

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

Nothing to do in the bedroom, everything is in it’s place.

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

Well… I don’t have a partner and as I live in a studio apt the bedroom is also my livingroom so pretty much everything belongs in this room. I did remove the (two) dishes that were on the kitchen table. Done?

bandicoot

swede, that is SO done!
    now you can have a cocktail!

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

Thanks, Rebecca! You are right! Cats do make scenes look cozier. :)

Profile photo of Hansi
    Hansi

I’m single so I don’t have a partner and there is no stuff in the bedroom except a double bed. That’s about it.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

bedroom is also living room and office and library and and and
    so nothing is out of place but our etageres (glass towers, on each side of the bed) are starting to get pretty messy with stacks of books everywhere. Would love to blame DH but I am afraid my side is worse than his because I’m always drinking coffee/tea in bed and shove my piles over to make space for the mug. Ok, will go tidy now. I promise.

ETA
    just did my side, and unearthed quite a lot that doesn’t belong there.
    Now DH just got back and I will try to make it quick and painless for him:)

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

Just watched Peter Walsh’s video for today. Towels….I’m happy to say, mine are in good shape! I like the UFO (uniformly folded objects), makes everything look neat.

bandicoot

i deleted and edited towels over a year ago.
    they are UFOed already.
    i don’t even need to check them.
    *basks in a moment of smugness*

my day of reckoning is coming, though.
    the second he says “off-season bedding” or “laundry room” i am in big trouble.

These challenges are so doable. I am starting late, but I too can be smug about the UFOed towels, the socks, the remotes and the plastic containers. As for stuff that does not belong in the bedroom, there is no way I can persuade my husband to get rid of his bizarre and eclectic bedside table collection. A big fail for that one.

Sigh. We’re OK with towels. I have four: two for me and two for guests. DH has a more eclectic and extensive collection, but won’t get rid of any of them. We have too many “beach” towels, but when we have people come and use the pool (not often) they are needed. They are neatly corralled. And I have a lot of hand/kitchen towels — all neatly folded and used in rotation.

Profile photo of glossta1
    glossta1

I’m new, so catching up with these will take me a day or two.

Remotes duly done – ours live on the windowsill of the room they belong in, wich seems to work well. One obsolete one now thrown away.

Socks also now done. We more-or-less keep up with them day to day, but if there’s an odd sock left over it gets dropped in the Odd Sock Box. Every few weeks the odd sock box gets topped out on the living room floor and it’s a competition to pair as many as possible. Any still not paired are put in a bag at the bottom of the box, and if they still can’t be paired next time they get thrown away.

Plastic tubs – oh dear – I have a cupboard for them, and it is desperately in need of a sort-out. That’ll have to be on this coming week’s list – maybe tomorrow after work.

pkilmain

I have enough bath towels (6) and they are UFO’d, but most are looking dingy and tired. But no holes, or worn edges. Sigh, they work fine, just don’t look as nice as I’d like. :)

All my washclothes and hand towels are corralled: rolled and in a fabric basket next to the towels. Kitchen towels rolled and store in a wire shelf/basket thing that hangs from the shelf above (over the fabric basket). In fact the whole linen closet is well organized. Feeling pretty smug myself! LOL

Netleigh

Ketchup today for the last two days of this.
    I need to PEEP a small pile up of books and papers from by bedroom now that DS has vacated his old room/ now my ‘office’. Dh’s side is something of a lost cause.
    Feeling smug again about towels, they are completely under control.

This challenge is such a boost to feeling on top of things.

Had sorted the laundry cupboard a few months ago although I probably still have far too many towels but as they are all in good condition I shall hang onto them. Donated the thin ones to the animal sanctuary when I sorted the cupboard.

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

Love the term “UFOed”! :D

And yes, my towels are UFOed and decluttered. I have two large ones and one smaller. Four hand towels and about four kitchen towels. All in matching coulours. I need a challenge… Off to tackle some papers. :/

Profile photo of djk
    djk

we each have a bath towel, and we have 5 hand towels. I have one set for guests, which I probably don’t need but when we have friends staying locally this set is nicer than the ones at cheapie hotels and pensions.

have about 8 dishtowels in rotation

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

I’m good today too. All our undies are in order :)

Profile photo of djk
    djk

I forgot to add we have 2 beach towels, too! One is actually a waffle-weave Italian bath sheet but I tend to forget about it as it lives at work (massage therapist comes in weekly and we have to provide our own towels) and the beach towel (also Italian) lives in my beach bag.

as for the ginch(gonch, gitch), looked hard and got rid of 5 pairs, mostly because they were too froufrou for me. Threw in another pair of socks while I was at it. Feeling unsympathetic to the unnecessary, at the moment.

Day 7 – Undies Drawer

10 mins getting rid of torn, grubby, stretched undies and the items that you just aren’t going to wear!

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Am going to take an evening stroll to the fabric recycling bin, I think. And one of DH’s horrid old stained white tshirts will come with me.
    He has at least 10 of these. He loves his white tshirts. I think I am going to buy him a bunch and have the old ones magically disappear.

djk,
    He will notice, I tell you, he will! It’s a very brave woman who comes between a man and his old, worn, stretched T-shirts, lol!

Profile photo of djk
    djk

lol clutterbug, I got one tshirt out to the textile recycling…we’ll see:)

bandicoot

undies, check.
    i did this just a few weeks ago, as part of the Great Tiling Dust Clean Up.

Profile photo of lottielot
    lottielot

My towels are also controlled :) Every so often I chuck another one, they breed somehow.
    Undies I tend to do when I do laundry, any damaged ones are weeded out then and occasionally I sort out the drawer when putting laundry away. I had a big fat fail on getting dh to agree to me chucking out tshirts or sports kit or trousers or any clothes however, underwear I just do. I may need to make Executive Decisions. I pointed out that you actually cannot shut any of his drawers and his reply was ‘so? Put them somewhere else then’
    Grrrr.

Undies done last week when I FINALLY splurged on some lovely lace bamboo ones. The old undies went out as soon as I was sure of the new ones. After all, YOU NEVER KNOW until you wear them :)

Profile photo of Rosa
    Rosa

I am starting to think that the key to uncluttering our house is never traveling at Christmas – undies is another thing I did while we had vacation at home this winter.

My towels are under control, but I should have thought of that when we were talking about mystery boxes, because i guess a long time ago i put half the towels in the attic – this summer when I turned a bunch of sad towels into rags, I was going to buy more, but my “get a box out of the attic every week” box magically was a box of towels I already owned!

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

Undies – No need, I know I’m good. I’m starting to get scared now… Everything so far has been easy for me. Soon he will find one of my weak spots. ;)

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

Lol, Swede! Just wait until he gets to paper! Then I’m sunk!

Profile photo of Jennifer
    Jennifer

I just did the underwear drawer last night without having read his latest challenge (and the towels). Creepy. But he’s going to find one of my weak spots soon too.

Profile photo of Hansi
    Hansi

Don’t say bed sheets….please. The rest I can handle. Bit that would take a day not 10 minutes.

Netleigh

Undies, I need to retire a few pairs, ones with holes appearing go when I take them off but there are some that are getting saggy that I keep on thinking they will do another time!

bandicoot

my MIL arrived today for a three day visit, so i decided it was a great time to wash and dry every single bit of bedlinen and table linen in the house.
    more dust has gone for ever and i found two unneeded pillow cases to get rid of.
    oooo i hope he mentions linen soon. i’ve done it!

Someone predicted this:

Day 8: Paperwork Part 1 – Today’s ten minute challenge may be the toughest so far but if you do this AND COMMIT to handling your mail like this EVERY day then I promise you’ll tame the incoming paperwork. Are you in? #31Days2GetOrganized http://ow.ly/gCnrU

pkilmain

Well, if it’s just mail, I’m okay. Paper – not so much. LOL

bandicoot

my mail is already sorted, but some of it has been hanging about for weeks.
    i need to get it out of the in tray and move it along.

i will spend time right now paying bills and filing and get the jump on it.

Netleigh

Another one I am feeling fairly smug about. Junk dealt with daily, I have action and to file trays, magazines have a place too. However I have a few things lurking in the action tray that I need to do some research for, home and contents insurance is the one with the closest deadline.

glossta1

Oh dear – I’m scared of reading that challenge. Both paper mail and email are well out of control at home and at school. Last night I wrote an email I’d been putting off for a long time. I’m following the ATAD thread, so maybe I can chunk a paper mail task for tonight that’ll fit this Peterchallenge too – thinking…

badkitti

Oh huzzah – I did undies last time with the socks :) and I do have a mail system already that mostly works!

bandicoot

well, the mail took a lot longer than anticipated.
    my printer is kaput and i am waiting for a new one to be shipped to me….not having a physical copy of invoices to stamp paid, and write receipt numbers and dates on was very disorienting, and i had to keep reopening files to check their status.
    HOWEVER
    it is all done now and i am grateful for the push, particularly as in the pile was the car insurance…..we have been driving around uninsured for nine days! FIXED that immediately!

while i was at it, i cleaned out my email inbox, which was a mess over december with personal and biz stuff.

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

I got “a lot” of mail today. Which by my standard means… four letters. It’s illegal in Sweden to deliver junk mail if you have a sign on your mailbox saying you don’t want it, and yes – I love that law. :) Normally I get about 2-3 pieces of mail + 2 local newspapers (unfortunately they’re not considered junk mail) a week. Had already dealt with todays mail. Woho! The smugness can continue. ;)

However – I am using the smug feeling to tackle the last of my messy paperwork. Got 25% done! Maybe maybe I can finish this during January as all of Peter Ws tasks are aldready done in casa Swede. :)

ETA: Thanks Susan for posting the daily update + link!

I think I can manage to put the mail into piles, I’ve already got plenty around here, lol!

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

I go right by my recycle bin on the way in the house from the mailbox so I sort and toss right then. I don’t get magazines anymore and my bills go directly in the checkbook on my desk.
    I’m feeling smug too!!

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

Oh No! He’s starting on the paper! My Achilles heel! Argh!

Actually the bills aren’t a problem, just every other kind of paper!

Just spent an hour putting a big pile of papers into categories to be sorted, good to know that it is ready to go through more easily.

Argh – paper, mail, etc. This is the first “real” challenge for me (the rest of the categories I had under control).

I frequently sort mail into piles: junk gets recycled, bills get either dealt with or put in a “to deal with” pile if I don’t have time. No problem there. But I also have to separate my husband’s mail into a third stack and he NEVER deals with it. I’m always putting these nice neat stacks of his mail – anything he gets that isn’t definitely junk or a bill (which I handle) – in places I know he will see them. And then he just lets the stacks pile up or moves them around the house or whatever. Drives me NUTS. Half the time, his stack ends up back by the front door, so I end up sorting through it AGAIN to make sure none of the bills got accidentally mixed in. A trivial problem, I know, but I don’t think I will ever be able to get a handle on this category….

sleepykitten,
    Yes, that sounds annoying. Not that trivial a problem if it means you have to re-sort through the mail to check if anything important has slipped in. The way that you described how the piles would end up in different places around the house sounds almost like a paper-pile chase! That’s probably how it feels!

My DH opens his mail and then leaves the scrappy, torn envelopes lying around the hall, kitchen or bedroom, sigh.

The paper trail continues . . .

Day 9 – Paperwork Part 2: Here’s a way to start afresh in 2013 with a clear desk and a simple way to manage paperwork – but it demands you commit to a SYSTEM and a ROUTINE. Take a deep breath, check out the video and let me know if this serious challenge will work for you.
    #31Days2GetOrganized http://ow.ly/gEIhi

Ahhhh, more paper! This is good, though. Thanks, @susan, for posting.

I have paper all over the HOUSE – not just all over my desk. Some of which I need my husband to help me deal with (see my previous comment). I did like Peter Walsh’s video, though. He made it seem very simple. Sometimes it helps to have someone just tell you what to do.

I think I will try to gather up all the paper from everywhere tonight as suggested. Maybe the 10 minutes a day of backlog work will include me sitting and asking DH, “what do you want to do with xyz?” when I run across something of his….

I think for me the “bills” and “needs attention” could be in the same inbox – both could easily be dealt with once a week. I need to track down a container to use as an inbox. I liked his silver wire mesh one – I wonder where I can find one of those.

My office doesn’t have too much paper, but I suppose I could do something similar there.

glossta1

I put some piles of exam papers and some class folders in category piles on my work desk today, so now the unsorted shemozzle is (only) up one end… Still to be tackled. But it is progress.

At home one of my two tiny office work-surfaces is clear and the other stacked out, but actually I tend to work in the dining room, which is fairly organised paperwork-wise.

Dare I watch the video? I guess I should.

pkilmain

SK – Target has those silver mesh desk accessories. I had them at my last job and I like them a lot.

bandicoot

my husband does 99% of the mail collection.
    he puts it all on my desk, even his own mail.
    i open everything, his mail included.
    i pay bills and file and mail back as required.
    anything requiring his actual eyes or signature, gets him hailed into the office as soon as possible, and i hand him a pen.
    this way it stays completely controlled.
    i run a small company from home and i have learned that every minute i spend organising paper will save me headaches and hours of fixing-it-up sometime in the future.

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

His system is too advanced for me as I don’t have a lot of paperwork coming in (no mortgage, no car, do not run a business and most of my bills are electronic now) so I will file the papers that are on my kitchen table at the moment (oh yeah, I don’t have a desk either *grins*) and to give myself something to work on I will continue with my sentimental papers as they are the last battle in my war against paper. :)

I deal with bills and paper immediately at home, but my work is often a serious mess. There is the faculty mail (I am Head of Learning for two faculties) the union mail (just call me Il Presidente:)), the work notices, the endless two minute jobs that take longer, not to mention the mountain of correction that piles up every day. I am on holiday now so I know my desk is clear. I would not be able to leave mail for a fortnight because it would overflow the basket very quickly. I do need a better system though. How I long for the long promised paperless society!

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

My paperwork is for the most part good. Tomorrow is my day to pull out all of 2012’s stuff and start new for 2013. I should have done it before now.
    My desk is neat but not clear. i need what’s on it and I have the space I need to work.

bandicoot

somebody heard my cries yesterday.
    an ENORMOUS box has arrived.
    i am pretty sure it is the new printer.
    however it is too crazy hot to even think of sorting that out now.
    but aren’t i glad i already cleared shelf space for the behemoth?

Back into the kitchen . . .
    Day 10: Platters, Muffin Tins, Baking Trays – Back to the kitchen today and ten minutes collecting any platter, tray, muffin pan or baking sheet. Get rid of damaged, chipped, rusted, warped or never-used items and open up some space for these larger items in your cupboards. Be tough and brutal – say goodbye to anything you no longer need, use or want! #31Days2GetOrganized http://ow.ly/i/1le5W

pkilmain

Oh no, not the kitchen…. I have to harden my heart to get rid of stuff here, Not food, I’ve got that controlled, but kitchen gadgets. I love them, Probably not time today to work on it, but maybe tomorrow morning.

Profile photo of irishbell
    irishbell

If I ever get well, hopefully i wont have too much to catch up with.
    I now have ear infections for gosh sakes! From what I can tell I’m okay
    and have pretty much already done all the tasks, except for a couple from the home cure.
    I’m also doing a 365 days of spring cleaning, which I’ve got a couple yet to do.
    I’m saving the emails of what I haven’t done so I can accomplish them when I’m up to it.
    You all are reporting such good progress, it must feel great!!!! Keep going!

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

@irishbell – feel better soon! :)

Todays challenge: Smug. Again. Kitchen is good. :P

bandicoot

me too.
    smugness in the kitchen.
    baking gear was cleaned, inspected, assessed and corralled just before christmas.
    i almost got rid of a metal muffin pan, but my mother reminded me that DH likes to make yorkshire puddings in that one.

Irishbell: hope you feel better!

I pruned my baking cupboard a few months ago, so all the pans that are there are used, at least several times a year, most more often. What would be useful would be to give them all a good scrubbing, which might get put on the to-do list for next month when I have a little more time.

I tossed two of my three cookie sheets, which are old, battered and rusted along the bottom and the edges. They are black — my other sheet is silver — and it’s hard to judge baking times when you are using different kinds of pans. The replacements will be silver. sigh.

All the serving platters & bowls get used. I could do with fewer, but i have room to store them and they give me pleasure.

glossta1

Irishbell, get well soon.

My bakeware cupboard and overflow stash (the bigger or less regularly used items) are already sorted, which is a great relief, because the paperwork challenge from a couple of days ago remains to be braved.

Netleigh

Hmm, no longer feeling smug, my baking tins cupboard is a mess as I have not restacked things recently, I have just chucked things back in on the top. I should look into it on Saturday when I should have the time!
    I don’t do much baking nowadays but it is important to have the right tins when I do. One set of loose bottomed spring cake tins were a wedding present from a friend who loved cake, I still think fondly of him and his cake baking Mum each time I use them.

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

Nothing to let go of but I neatly put all the pans back in order. I have them in a narrow cabinet standing up so it’s easy to pull out what I want.
    Serving trays and platters are good.

Fell better Irishbell :)

Smugness at an end!

This falls into the category of THINGS THAT CAN NOT BE DONE! My husband is an avid buyer of cake tins, baking sheets and so on. Every now and then, when I open a drawer, I find new tins in different shapes and sizes stacked on top of the old ones. I just read him the challenge and he began to grind his coffee. When I asked his thoughts, he said he hadn’t heard. Methinks it is a case of selective deafness! They are neat, stacked and in good condition, but there are just so many of them. It is at least three years since he baked friands, but we still have two trays. Sigh.

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

I let go of several large baking sheets and pans when I emptied out my rented storage unit last month. It pained me to give such nice and pricey pans to Goodwill, but the fact is I don’t have a full-size oven in this tiny studio so I can’t use them. When the day comes of living with an oven again, I’ll just buy new, that’s all.

Profile photo of irishbell
    irishbell

Thanks people :)
    My baking pans etc were gone through a few months ago, still in good shape there.

bandicoot

jack, that is very selective deafness.
    but i am LOLing at the coffee grinding!

Profile photo of
    Anonymous

tricky one. Mine are practically antiques, but I’m not sure there’s anything to be gained by updating them. Our family goes in and out of ‘phases'; a while ago there was a cake-decorating phase so we have an expensive pastry sheet and piping things; I think they’ve been used twice.

But I know the moment I throw out the tiny patty-cake tins that someone will go all domestic and want to make mini somethingorothers.

Profile photo of Jennifer
    Jennifer

Baking tins in order, phew.

Today’s challenge will make bandicoot happy:

Day 11 – Revisit the linen closet: Today’s the day to tackle all of the bed linen and other items that are lurking in your linen closet. If you tackled these last week when we did towels then let me know how you’re spending your ten organizing minutes today. I’d love to hear of any surprises you uncover in your linen closet!! #31Days2GetOrganized http://ow.ly/gCoK4

My work schedule has changed somewhat for the remainder of this month (yay!) so I’m going to spend some serious time next week catching up with these challenges.

Easy — we don’t actually have spare linens. I have one set for the master bed, one set for the guest bed and one spare set of double sheets that fit on the futon sofas in case we have a surplus of guests and need to use one as a bed, which has never happened. There is one spare set of pillows, which are in quilted shams and sit atop a cedar chest, which acts as seating in the guest bedroom. That’s it.

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

Done. I have an extra set of sheets for our bed and the guest bed and I use one of them for the couch pull out bed if we have extra people. I have 4 pillows on the guest bed and put 2 on the couch bed if necessary, although that rarely happens, thank goodness.

I do like the idea of putting each set inside one of the pillow cases. I may do that.

pkilmain

I have one extra set for our bed (queen) plus two extra flat sheets that will fit our pull out couch. I do have extra pillow cases, as I like to wash them oftener than the sheets. Also have 2 extra pillows for company. It’s the blanket/covering area that’s actually more than we need. Since I make quilts, I use them instead of bedspreads. At the moment we are rotating between 3. We also have 2 fleece blankets, 1 cotton thermal blanket and one wool blanket. I gave away our queen sized down comforter earlier this year (DH got stuffed up whenever we used it) but still have a fiber filled one, plus a throw sized down one that I add to my side of the bed when it gets really cold. I use all of these regularly except the wool blanket, which we only use occasionally.

My linen closet is large. On top two shelves are blankets/quilts/pillows; next has first aid stuff, extra OTC meds, sunscreen, etc. Then a shelf with sheets, pillow cases and bathmats (have 3). Next has the towels (folded) washcloths (rolled in a basket), and Kitchen towels (rolled on a hanging shelf) with tableclothes and beach towels underneeath. Bottom shelf is devoted to DH’s office supplies and other stuff (his desk is across from the linen closet), and the bottom space between the floor and the lowest drawer has all of our vinyl records and some lesser played CDs (i.e. Christmas music). All of this is in good order, and probably – if you exclude the reoords – 90% is in regular use.

bandicoot

happymonkey, thank you for being the bearer of good news!

between today’s walshing and the home cure weekend kitchen blitz….i am pretty well covered already.
    however, i will use today’s time to shake out and air my other textiles, clean and dust their nook, then re-roll them.

glossta1

Happymonkey, I’m happy too, because I’m pretty much on top of linen, having updated the sets in both girls’ bedrooms recently, and making up spare single sets in the attic room that can be grabbed and used at short notice if teen stoppovers happen here at short notice. I set up a camping corner in the attic room too, so my teens can grab a sleeping bag easily if they’re off to sleep somewhere else. Spare old scruffy sheets went to the crate of dust-sheets in the garage, and decent unwanted bedding went to the charity shop. I did towels a few months ago, and tore up the unwanted ones – my son had the pieces as oily rags for his engineering projects, and I kept a few as cleaning cloths too.

Oh, no…I’m still on the paper. :)

My kitchen cupboard is OK, but needs better organization. My spare linens fit in a large box – we don’t have a “linen closet” per se. (Box includes a few spare blankets – I can’t really convince myself to get rid of them because they can be helpful for moving/packing/etc. as well as keeping warm.)

bandicoot

i think a couple of spare blankets often repay they space they take up, over the years.

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

Ben linen: Check. Only have two sets. When one is in the wash I use the other one. If I have guests I let them use the other pair and make sure I do laundry right after. I am contemplating getting a third set soonish though. Just having two makes them wear out faster… I also have two fleece blankets. They are really warm and take up little space so they’re staying. Done! If it wasn’t 8:30 AM I would reward myself with some wine. ;)

Will use this time to continue on my papers instead. :)

Netleigh

Linen smugness again, we have one set on and one in the airing cupboard for all the beds.
    However I still have to do more than just look in horror at the baking pans cupboard, as I have plans for today it will have to wait. I’m being tidying buddy for a friend and her wardrobe, it will be a lovely sociable chatty day and we are planning on swapping buddy days so I will get company and encouragement another Sunday.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

sharing in the smugness…
    I went through the pots and pans just before Christmas, and I got rid of a few things we weren’t using.

as for bed linens–we have one bed and two sets of linen. One on, one in the wash. Actually I want to replace one set of pillowcases as they have not worn well. But it’s low priority, as these will still make it another half year I think.

We don’t really have extra towels, in fact I might have to replace some of the ones we have, which are looking rather shabby.

Paper is under control too. We pay our bills online, and I pay them when we get the notification. I usually do it the same day or the next day, and date them to be paid 2-3 working days before they are due.

Day 13 – Spice it up! Today’s the day to alphabetize your spices. A quick and simple challenge that you can definitely nail. And while you’re at it, be sure to get rid of anything that’s been in there longer than two years, or that’s been with you for the last three house moves!! Let me know the oddest thing you uncovered!
    #31Days2GetOrganized

http://ow.ly/i/1leou

Profile photo of djk
    djk

spices are fine–labelled in matching jars, lined up in one row on a narrow wall shelf
    we don’t alphabetise them because we keep them in order of most frequent use and each one has its place.

ETA:
    I keep baking spices in a baking basket, which is in a baker’s butcherblock rolling cart. The oven sits on top, and there are two shelves below, one with the baking supplies and one with the cat supplies basket.

pkilmain

I alphabetized my spices early last fall. DH undid it all while I was away. After he finished his annual Christmas cookie baking, I took out everything, threw out expired stuff, filled in what I needed, and realpha etized them. So far they are still that way. :)

glossta1

Oh, lovely smugness, my spice rack is already alphabetised. :)

I have my dried herbs and spices in a pull-down rack in the cupboard above my countertop. The top row can only hold small jars, so that’s where they get stored — the system isn’t alphabetized, but it is organized. I cleaned everything out in the fall during the home cure.

ooh folks, think we’ve missed a day out, very sneaky!

Day 12 (Sat)
    Clothes Closet – Spend 10 mins quickly picking out clothes that don’t fit, are stained or don’t make you look or feel great. Get them to the Charity shop. Peter makes a good point regarding the fact that the bottom 1/3rd of the sweater or T-shirt piles are the ones that never get worn so it’s more than likely that they can go.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

uh-oh, busted!

last week I turned my hangers around and removed a couple of items at that time. And as I posted on ATAD I have two items–white blouse and black trou–which I am debating right now. If I can fix the blouse I will keep it, and when I find a new pair of trousers I will toss the pair I’m holding onto

so at present, I’m good!

bandicoot

wardrobe and spices, hey?
    tick em both off!
    wardrobe, i have been working on for over a year and i think i can let another item go today.
    spices….wrenched from the post-tiling-dusty-horror-pantry and cleaned and alphabetised along with everything else.

does anyone else feel like a total teacher’s pet?

Well, I certainly know I’m not ‘Teacher’s Pet’, I’ve got to stay behind to catch up on ‘Home Work’, lol!

Netleigh

I’m slipping on the kitchen front, spices are in a bit of a mess as well as the baking trays.
    Wardrobe is another place giving me that smug feeling!

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

Teachers pet no 2 here! :P Spices are already organized and wardrobe is ok as well. I cull worn and stained clothes as I go so I know everything in there fits me, is stuff I wear and has no holes or stains.

glossta1

Well Clutterbug, Peter’s kinda right about the bottom third of my jumpers on the shelf, except they’re the jumpers I wear with skirts. I rarely wear skirts, but when I do I want a shorter jumper. I think my best solution would be to look for a shallow drawer for my skirt-jumpers, thus leaving my wardrobe top shelf for my regular-use-with-trousers jumpers.

Until the two side surfaces in my bedroom are clear I don’t want to meddle with the drawers and cupboards which are at least outwardly tidy. Yesterday I made great strides with the central well of the room and my bedside table, so I don’t want to give myself too hard a time for now. Way to go, though. It isn’t helped by being a very large room, and I’ve tended to dump stuff there to be beyond the ‘public view’ as it were. Ah well, I’m catching up on it now, thankfully.

OK, I am seriously a teacher’s pet with this one. Spices and dried herbs alphabetised ?. All clean and organised ? Sitting in a cabinet I designed myself with skinny glass shelves ? No dusty jars ? I love it so much it is going to the new house.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92080483@N03

The wardrobe is done and I am waiting for the next charity collection bag.

JTT: Nice! I also have a narrow set of shelves in a similar place that holds my glass jars full of grains, etc. It works like a charm!

I did do a quick wardrobe cull last week and got rid of about 8 items. My goal is to refrain from buying anything new this winter, and go over everything with a hyper-critical eye once the weather warms up in April.

bandicoot

jack, your spice cupboard = fantastic.

Thanks B and SIT. I am a big believer in the skinny shelf so that everything can be seen at a glance. When I asked the man to make it, he thought I was crazy not to have a bit more depth. I think more depth would be asking for clutter in our house.

I was going to post it on the “before and after pics” thread, but I thought it would be too boastful; I am ridiculously proud of it! However, the spice rack discussion was just begging for it! :)

badkitti

Love that spice shelf! I have an overcrowded wooden one that am thinking of selling and getting the spices in a drawer out of the light

Profile photo of TatiLie
    TatiLie

@jackthetiger: I love your spices cupboard! What a dream! All the spices organised, easy to access and standardised in beautiful jars. And all the sauces, oils, vinegars, in the bottom shelves!! If you don’t mind, I’ll bookmark it because I want something like that in my dream kitchen.

Day 13 – Spices – Think I’ve got most of the spices sorted from a clean-up I did a few months ago. Don’t need to alphabetise them as I don’t have that many and I arrange the ones that i use the most near the front anyway.

Day 12 task – clothes closet

Spent nearly an hour sorting out my T-shirt drawers and some of the kids clothes and managed to get a respectable heap collected of miscellaneous stuff. The Salvation Army just happen to be collecting tomorrow so they’ll soon be out!

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

Spices- mine are good. I don’t have them alphabetized because I keep them together in groups the way I use them. They are on a double lay-z-susan and I cleaned the cabinet recently.

Clothes- My closet is good. After I get the weight off, there will probably be some things I get rid of but not now.

Yes, bandicoot, I’m feeling like the teachers pet :)

Day 14 (Mon)
    The T-Shirt Piles
    Sort through your T-Shirts, fold neatly and rearrange according to colours. He repeats the point made on Day 12 (clothes closet) that the bottom 1/3rd of the pile are most likely to be the ones that don’t get worn so they probably can go.
    Count how many you get rid of!

By coincidence I’d sorted out a load of T-shirts earlier today as part of my Jan goal of sorting out my clothing so that was handy. Will keep an eye on any others that turn up from the ironing basket that could go in the near future.

bandicoot

i own 2 t-shirts.
    both are at the dressmaker, having patterns cut off them.
    done.
    dh lives in t-shirts however….his are all currently neatly folded away, but not by colour. he simply pulls out the next one to wear.

pkilmain

LOL bandicoot – it’s how my DH dresses as well. I put t-shirts from the laundry on the bottom so they get rotated.

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

LOL! I mostly dress in t-shirts and jeans. I don’t really have many of either, so my laundry is pretty simple. What I need to do is buy some new ones.

Jack, I love your spice shelf!

Tatilie, You are welcome to share this design. The adjustable glass shelves work well for the lighter things. Because I did not want the shelves to show through the frosted green glass, I only had the bottom one as a solid shelf. In retrospect, it may have been better to have a second solid shelf to allow for better grouping of the bottles according to cuisine. It is not really a big deal.

I cleaned out my four t shirts today. They don’t look great, but they are still serviceable. I only use them for gardening or jobs at home, so I figure they will do another couple of years.

My DH also wears t shirts straight from the pile. What is with that? Does it not matter which one comes off the top of the pile?

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

T-shirts: I prob have a few more than I need but they’re all sort of sentimental gifts and as I don’t do a lot of shopping I will keep them and let go when they’re worn out. They’re already neatly folded but I don’t color co ordinate as I like to group them according to use (office appropriate, work out shirts, fancy shirts and tank tops). Smugness sucess!

Profile photo of djk
    djk

I don’t have any t-shirts per se. They are not really a good look for me!
    I have various tops of woven cotton but all are work-appropriate.

DH, on the other hand, also has at least 12 t-shirts, and also takes from the top of the pile. I put clean ones at the bottom of the drawer. Ones I don’t like also go at the bottom, sometimes to permanently disappear…

Profile photo of liag
    liag

I cannot wear t-shirts–too self-conscious of my age and small top–but I did, during my uncluttering blitz of 4 years ago, go through sweaters and tops, getting rid of by donation/rag-production the bottom ones, which seemed glued to the bottom of the drawer. Walsh and the Cure author seem to know human nature well. Without verbalizing or even crystallizing their points, I did all their operations in that semi-conscious blitz when we moved and down-sized.. Just flew through the entire place, inside all cupboards, closets, drawers. You participants will be happy to know I stayed with it and, as I said before, have had nothing to declutter for a long time.I have been far happier, too.

glossta1

T-shirts – wow – more insufferable smugness! I went through mine as the summer ran on, and disposed of the tattier ones. My daughter grabbed a couple that I don’t like, too, to use as exercising t-shirts over leggings, so that helped. I’m all done on that one.

pkilmain

I long ago sorted mine by work-appropirate, exercise, and casual/gardening, etc. Then I sorted by long and short-sleeved. I’ve been working on culling all of these (1) as they wear out (2) as I put one on and don’t like the way it fits. They all fit in their allotted places, so I’ll just keep on with my system.

Did some backtracking and sorted my sock drawer (one of the early tasks) and another drawer with tights, hats, belts and scarves in it. Also sorted the top shelf of the wardrobe and rearranged things better by hanging the belts on a belt organiser so freeing some drawer space. The drawers have never had this much space in them for years!

Did 30 mins sorting out the papers that he had advised to put in a box to clear the top of the desk (Day 9 – Paper task, Part 2), and checked the mail/papers that need attention – need to research Home insurance quotes soon. (can’t wait!)

Day 15
    Now this is a good one – Take 10 mins to do something that you enjoy!

I was actually just thinking it was time to look through my spices again – I did a total spice rehaul when I cleaned my pantry maybe six months ago or so? They are all in adorable small, stacking mason jars (a tough size to find) with the name of the spice written on the jar in wax pencil and the date written on the BOTTOM in wax pencil. I am loving it!

I have a very eclectic and wide-ranging spice cabinet, and some spices are used more often than others so some uncluttering might be warrented. On the flip side, I am proud of my large spice collection, I enjoy it, and it is a relatively forgivable vice!

Alphabetizing doesn’t make much sense to me – I keep the most used up front/top and lesser used behind. If I were to organize them, I would go by cuisine/flavor rather than the name of the spice.

bandicoot

i spent most of the morning reaing long salon.com articles and drinking turmeric lemon tea….so day 15 is checked off thoroughly!

Jackthetiger: that is a seriously wonderful spice cabinet.

Day 16 – That Mysterious Top Shelf in That Mysterious Closet: It’s your choice today. Pick any closet in your home and tackle the uppermost shelf. Report back any surprises! #31Days2GetOrganized http://ow.ly/gCqUS

Oooohhhh .. . he’s been peeking in my closets!

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

My coat closet. I have Christmas, Easter and Halloween decorations up there in small Rubbermaid boxes, about 12″X8″X8″, stacked and labeled. Also a long, flat plastic box and my padded dining room table pads, folded.

Then….there is this unbelievably ugly pitcher that was DH’s great ‘somebodies’ (he doesn’t even know whose it was). It is 12″ tall, chipped, cracked and did I mention ugly?

I took everything out, dusted and put it back except for the pitcher. It has got to go.

glossta1

Yikes, I daren’t even think about this one yet! There’s a deep cubbyhole above the door to the cellar. We didn’t even discover it for the first few years of living here, then one day looked up and spotted a mystery catch. Our predecessor had stashed an incredible amount of tat up there, and we cleared it, and stashed our own tat. I have no wish to go there right now – there’s way too much else to sort out. I shall give myself permission to pass on that one for now.

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

glossta1, you are so cute. I love your word ‘tat’. I have another word for my ‘tat’. It starts with a ‘s’.

bandicoot

i don’t have a hidden away top shelf anywhere….and my open shelving is all pretty organised right now.
    i’ll spend some time in the laundry today instead.

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

Day 15 – Check! Had lovely coffee (don’t make coffee at home, it’s totally my little luxury when I buy coffee) and a walk in the snow.

Day 16 – Opened the closet that has my spare duvet and my suitcases and stuff like that.

I guess I had already taken care of the top shelf. ;)

(and yes, those are my new years shoes and I LOOOOOVE them and they don’t actually kill my feet so they are definite keepers even though I’ll prob use them twice a year)

I’m really glad I joined in on this challenge. It has made me realize I’m pretty good on the organizing bit, just need to tackle the sentimental stuff that I know I don’t really need in my life anymore. Whenever there’s a challenge I’ve already completed I take some time to tackle that… So I still get to accomplish stuff. Yay!

Day 17 – Diving for Condiments: Today it’s all about those condiments hiding in the dark recesses of your refrigerator. Check out the video then dive right in. I’d love to hear the oldest ‘Use-by’ date you encounter! #31Days2GetOrganized http://ow.ly/gOrdh

Profile photo of s
    s

Sky, I might ‘resemble’ your ‘s’ word, but I call it ‘crap!’

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

s….Ha!Ha!

@Swede- I also love those New Years shoes! :)

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

Hmm, the oldest use-by date… Well, yesterday I tossed some deli-packed pesto marked “Made fresh on Sept 13.” How do you tell when pesto has gone bad? It’s already green. :P

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

Well, I had to buy a new refrigerator, so I did the condiments last week when they delivered it.

Swede, I would need a ladder to get into shoes like that, and then I would probably break my a$$ trying to walk in them. :)

My mother had a tin of stock cubes that were 11 years over their use by date. She had moved house three times during that time, including one three thousand kilometre trip from Perth to Melbourne. I periodically conducted a pantry check after that!

No more January challenge for me. I am spending two weeks at the beach, so I will have to catch up when I get back.

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

My MIL bought food already expired! Drove me nuts.
    Since it’s just DH and me I’ve started buying smaller sizes of condiments so there isn’t waste. Checked mine and nothing is expired but I definitely have too many jars of pickles.

pkilmain

What is it about pickles? My DH will get a craving for them, then about 2/3 of the way through the jar he stops eating them. I don’t eat pickles at all.

Profile photo of s
    s

Swede, those shoes are amazing! I can’t even figure out how to walk in low heels without getting pain and blisters! Wish I could.

Netleigh

Condiments deserve a sift through this weekend, I’m envious of USA style hodge fridges with that much space in the door.
    I’m also impressed that Swede can party in those shoes, love them being glittery but I’d need stabilisers to wear them.

Jack enjoy the beach.

Just thought I’d let you all know that Day 18’s task is ‘Under the Kitchen Sink’.
    Get everything out, discard anything unused, gather like with like, possible idea – hang a tension rod to hang the spray bottles with ‘handles’.
    Don’t let it spoil your week-end, lol!

Yep, here’s today’s challenge:

Day 18: Under the Kitchen Sink – This is one of the toughest but most rewarding challenges. Drag everything out from under the kitchen sink. Discard any old, never-used, damaged or not-wanted items. Gather like things together. Consider using a plastic tote for cleaning products and a spare baking tray or similar for keeping other items together and off the floor. Consider hanging a tension rod for squirt bottle storage too. Show that space who’s boss! #31Days2GetOrganized http://ow.ly/i/1leKD

Did a quick check-over of the ‘Spice task’ this morning. Had done this earlier in the summer so not much to do there.

Checked condiments, tend to keep on top of this anyway so just a couple of things to throw and wiped out half of the fridge shelves at the same time.

happymonkey,
    Seems we found out the dreaded kitchen sink task at the same time, what do you think? A hard task or easy?!

clutterbug22, it’s a project that badly needs to be done in my house, but it’s not going to be done this week, and probably not this month. I’m keeping track of all of the tasks and will be getting all of them done between now and the end of February — life is just really hectic right now! That task has been on my to-do list for a while, though, as it is really a mess under there!

How does it look for you?

badkitti

Oh no! Under the sink is a nightmare – the product bottles are too tall for the space :(

bandicoot

the fridgley condiment sweep yielded some duck fat that was a bit old for my liking, a hard curl of quince paste in a not-sealed container, some really ancient homemade kimchi that almost exploded.

under the sink was done in december and is fine.

badkitti, would it be worth investing in or reycling bottles that will fit there, and doing some decanting?

badkitti

bandicoot – possible, but not the bleach. H did offer to cut a nook out of the top shelf though which I may take him up on

We’ve had multiple problems with a leaky pipe under our kitchen sink over the years, so eventually we stopped putting ANYTHING there except for trash bags. Haven’t had a leak in a while, but I have no interest in testing it. So I’m OK, there.

happymonkey,
    This is an area that I keep revisiting (unfortunately!). I did go over it a few months ago and corralled the similar things together in baskets such as spare light bulbs, shoe cleaning stuff, batteries, so it is not a complete mess but it never seems as if there is any spare space whatever I do!

pkilmain

On one side I just have a trash can for non-bunable, non-compostable trash. The other side has bleach, a spray cleaner, some microfiber dusting clothes, and a couple of extra sponges. All the lightbulbs are on th laundry room shelf; the shoe cleaning stuff is in DHs shop as he does the shoe maintenance.

Day 19 – Another toughie, Magazines!

Go round your house, gather all of your magazines together, lay them out in front of you and put each title into their appropriate pile. Apart from your favourite magazine you are only allowed to keep 3 back issues for each title. All the others go straight into recycling, do NOT keep them till you go to the Doctor’s Office etc!!

We get quite a few magazines. A few years ago I set up a bin in the utility room. Once the new issue comes in (weekly for Time & the New Yorker; monthly for most of the rest) the old one goes into the bin. When the bin is filled to the top the oldest half (or more) get dropped off at the library exchange bin. If DH gets a wild hare to read a magazine it’s still available, but out of the way; the top of the bin is an indicator of when to purge. Works for us!

@susanintexas – we used to subscribe to the New Yorker when my DH and I were first dating and had fewer responsibilities. I remember lounging around the apartment reading them cover to cover – good memories. Eventually, though, the weekly delivery just got to be too much for us – we cancelled because we just couldn’t keep up!

bandicoot

my husband is the magazine reader around here.
    the economist comes on the ipad, and his occasionalkayakingcampingcyclingmotorbike magazine disappears into his part of the shed from where they are recycled periodically.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

I already donated 2 magazines to work this week, and have 2 more to look through then I will either recycle them or bring them to the kitchen at work again.

I have no subscriptions except for one given as a gift. I recycle that magazine as soon as I’ve read it (not really a publication I need to mull over once i’ve looked at it) I don’t know if it’s been renewed or not this year, since I haven’t received a January issue.
    I do have 9 shelter magazines which I go through frequently enough to warrant keeping them. Two of them I’ve had since 2004 and I still pull those out for inspiration:)

Pinterest has replaced magazines for me.

bandicoot

i know what you mean, djk.
    flipboard replaced magazines for me.
    i haven’t had much to do with pinterest yet, but i suppose it is just a matter of time.

bandicoot

oy, freaky!
    i joined pinterest and searched my business name….and i’ve been pinned already.
    very flattering, but sheesh, i need new photos, stat.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Of course, you know I am going to look for you there right now:)

bandicoot

how can i find you there?

bandicoot

i think pinterest will be the end of me.
    *disappears down mind-candy rabbit hole*

badkitti

Undersink cupboard done – I am SO stupid at times – the top shelf of the cupboard extends up to the sink bottom and there is plenty of room to stand tall bottles of bleach etc. I just needed to swop shelves around. No more bottles leaking on their side, and the tea towels now on the bottom are now accessible.

-2 old tea towels to H’s rag pile for mechanics
    – rusty old cans out
    – dicovered, spare bleach, 2 spare toilet bleaches, a washing up liquid and spare scourers – bonus. And 3 bottles of white vinegar for general cleaning ( kept thinking I’d run out!)

Its been a revelation :)

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Bandicoot you (and anyone else who wants to) can find me at pinterest.com/mistressmolly/

:)

bandicoot

djk, i am paddimelon.

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

18 – Under the sink. Only keep soil for my plants and extra plastic bags under there, so I’m all good. I should scrub the area, but it’s icky. Maybe later in the week. :/

19 – Magazines. Only have one and will recycle it once it’s read.

No one seems to have posted Sunday: Day 20 – Flat surfaces: Small or large, flat surfaces seem to attract clutter! Today I want you to choose just one flat surface in your home, spend ten minutes getting it in order, and then COMMIT to keeping that space clear and uncluttered. Check out the video, choose a surface and get to it. Let me know what space you’re working on! #31Days2GetOrganized

http://ow.ly/gW7vk

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Ahhhhhhh surfaces are the worst!
    I’m going for the kitchen table. That’s where we eat, DH reads his newspapers, and I have craft stuff and the crockpot because there’s an outlet there. And I received a late box of Christmas presents, the contents of which are spread out…

bandicoot

thanks susan!
    this is a good one and i have picked a dining table and a chest of drawers.
    fresh flowers and a stack of place mats on one and nothing at all on the other.
    let’s see how long that lasts.
    dh uses the dining table as a drop zone, and i stack folded laundry on the chest of drawers..

badkitti

surfaces are a real down fall here – glad he said just pick one!

Monday’s organizing challenge:
    Day 21 – Conquering Your Kids’ Toys: You all knew this was coming! Watch the video. Remember to focus ONLY on those toys that are no longer age appropriate for your kids. Don’t think too much. Conquer this challenge!! For those without kids or toys, watch the video …. there’s a challenge in there for you too!
    #31Days2GetOrganized
    http://ow.ly/gW6D5

For those without kids and toys, the challenge is LUGGAGE.

bandicoot

no kids.
    luggage has been ruthlessly whittled already….and was looked over, cleaned and dusted….all together now…after the tiling!
    i am totally taking a day off.

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

20 – Surfaces. As I woke up at 3 AM I did some cleaning and massive PEEPing. Will be wrecked when I come home tonight so it’ll be nice to come home to a calm place.

21 – Luggage. Only have three pieces: suitcase, carry on and large backpack. Check! :)

Profile photo of djk
    djk

No kids, and luggage fine–any piece which doesn’t serve well on a trip gets tossed

Otoh, I realize I have a backpack in rough shape. Have been using it anyway, but I will make a decision on it today

Profile photo of britannia
    britannia

I’m feeling quite smug. I haven’t been doing this. I’ve been doing the 8-step thing instead. I just made a list of all of Walsh’s daily steps and I’ve already done 19 of the 22, either through the 8-step thing or had done on my own some time ago. And, the three that need to be done (10 min. in bedroom, T-shirt pile & flat surfaces)will take care of this week’s 8-step for the bedroom. Proof that the 8-step thingy really works!

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

Kids are grown but for my grand children,I have a small bookshelf in the guest bedroom closet for their books and small toys and 2 baskets for other toys. Too many stuffed animals but they enjoy them so I’m keeping them.

We have 2 suitcases, the smaller stays inside the bigger one. They are under the guest bed and in good shape. I do have a lot of different size tote bags. Mostly large canvas ones. We use them when we carry stuff somewhere instead of grocery bags. Also, when we travel by car. They work so well and are stored inside each other so I think I’ll keep all of them.

pkilmain

No kids, other than the felines. They seem to be leaving their toys – parrot feathers from a friend, and toes of worn out socks filled with catnip – all over the main floor. I picked them all up last night to vacuum and we’ll start again. :)

Luggage is in good shape, and except for the bags we use for the gym and swimming (and DH for skating) they are all stored in our outside shed. I’ll give them a once over when I pack for my vacation – leaving 1/30 for warmer weather – Yay!

glossta1

No kids of toy age – phew! But oh dear, flat surfaces a-plenty, and mostly in need of exactly the treatment specified. Is he watching us, do you think?

Day 22 – Take Your Medicine: Today I want you to tackle your medicine cabinet. Pull everything out. Wipe down the shelves. Group like things together. Collect out-of-date medications together for return to your pharmacy (don’t flush or put them in the trash!) Use plastic containers to keep like items together. Already done? Use your ten minutes elsewhere ….. no day off today!
    http://ow.ly/i/1p5Ut
    #31Days2GetOrganized

britannia: I’m finding the same thing — did that already. But that’s a good feeling, isn’t it?

pkilmain

Yesterday I was looking for something on the linen closet shelf that stores all our first aid stuff, sunscreen, etc. and found a nearly full Costo sized jar of Tyleno (ok, the generic, but I can’t spell that) with an expiration date of 2005! I wonder if the pharamacy will take it…..

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

Day 22 Medicine – As 2012 was a bad year for me health wise I’ve always brought my meds with me every time I went to the doctor. They’d normally prescribe new meds so I would drop the old ones off while I picked the new ones up. Mainly so I would remember which ones I was supposed to take. Sent a huge pack of eye drops to a charity taking care of paperless immigrants. Also brought painkillers and stomach pills to Thailand and gave to other travellers to get my stash down. So: Done! :)

bandicoot

we are med-free here, but i’ll check the expiry dates on the emergency stash of painkillers/antihistamines/sleeping pills.

badkitti

I sorted the medicine drawers on Sunday – hurray! Will try to clear a surface instead

Day 23 – Pot, Pans and Small Appliances: We’re back in the kitchen today decluttering pots, pans and small appliances. Be tough …. open space in the kitchen will make the room more inviting and motivating. Watch the video. Tackle the challenge. Let’s hear what you let go of!!
    #31Days2GetOrganized

http://ow.ly/gW8Ph

Profile photo of Ella
    Ella

Here’s the only space where I excel. My kitchen is honed down to perfection and high efficiency. That’s the one and only advantage of having such a wee little space… of necessity, everything must be carefully chosen for fit and function.

Day 24 – Tackle Your Car: So far all of the challenges have been inside your home. Today it’s your motor vehicle. No car? Create another ten-minute challenge that works for you. Watch the video and let’s do this!!
    #31Days2GetOrganized

http://ow.ly/h2P3t

Profile photo of Sasjanep
    Sasjanep

My kitchen is teeny, so there is very little that isnt used all the time. I have been considering letting the bread bin go though, I eat very little bread and it is just cluttering up the counter. The other pots and pans are my housemate’s domain, but she uses everything so nothing wasted there.

will leave the car till the weekend. Much easier to tackle during the day!

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

23 – Pots and pans: Check! Decluttered my kitchen ruthlessly when I moved in to this apt. Could actually do with another pot…

24 – No car so I will tackle… something… when I get back from work. :)

I’m catching up on reading threads on this site (this is the first one) after a rather hectic past 9 months (see CHAT thread).

Thanks for the laugh you’ve given me with the smug and halo polishing comments. Knew I should have written a list as I read of all the challenges; will just have to go re-read them…hmm, and then do them.

I did think when I got to ‘flat surfaces’ – “Bahahahaha – that’ll never happen!” Since it’s only one surface, can I claim the kitchen bench where dirty dishes are put (waiting to be washed) every time we do the dishes? ;-) As for bills / invoices, we like to hold onto our money and squeeze a bit of interest out of the bank for as long as possible so these get put in a folder marked “Bills to be paid” and a note is written on the calendar to pay them by a couple of working days before the due date.

Most of the kitchen stuff is DH realm but we only keep the stuff in regular use in the readily accessible cupboards with other items being considered for give-aways in other cupboards / on top of cupboards. Our spice shelves are in the microwave oven space (putting this up above benches can only be the brainchild of someone who has never had to get a hot dish out of there and onto a bench without dropping it on one’s feet) so there is space behind the shelves for the back-up supplies of H&S (we go through them FAST). And they are mostly alphabetized because that’s how my brain works.

bandicoot

pots and pans and appliances are fine.
    i use everything i have and i have everything i need.

the car has no clutter, but it is a bit filthy inside at present.
    tomorrow, i shall vacuum it and wipe things down.
    and our registration and commercial parking stickers BOTH need replacing!
    the new stickers are in the glovebox…..just haven’t got around to it. bad.

Day 25 – Kitchen Utensils: Today’s the day to thin the herd of kitchen utensils. Watch the video, gather all your utensils onto the kitchen counter and bravely conquer this challenge. Let me know the degree of difficulty!
    http://ow.ly/h2Pqr
    #31Days2GetOrganized

bandicoot

thanks susan!
    my utensils are done.

I put two cooking spoons into the Goodwill bag. I’m thinking about a pair of tongs and an extra set of wooden salad tosser thingies, but they occasionally come in handy when I want to take something that requires such utensils to a potluck and don’t want to risk losing my nicer ones.

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

I use all my pots and pans. Also appliances but I have a large and small food processor and crock pots. The small ones are great for DH and myself and the large ones are great when we have the family over. Seems silly to have 2 of each but also silly to get rid of either one when I use them.

The small crock pot could probably go as I only use it for overnight cooking of grits or steel cut oatmeal and rarely.

I have a few utensils I rarely use but hate to get rid of them and then need them. Not sure what to do :/

Sky – if you use them and have room for them, there’s no need to cull just for the sake of culling.

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

Utensils: Check! :)

bandicoot

sky, if you use them, then they are useful.
    you are the boss and only you get to decide :)
    i don’t think anyone is tossing stuff for the sake of tossing stuff.

Profile photo of liag
    liag

Sky–Bandicoot and Laetitia are so wise. Even I, the mad tosser, save a few things that are useless but that I smile at and have room for anyway. I have saved chopstick holders from 1976 when we lived in Japan that I have NEVER used because they are cute and fit in the drawer. And believe me, I am a big-time purger who did the Cure jobs on my own in two overnight sessions when we downsized! I think we should consider giving pleasure a use; what do you think?

Sasjanep

Utensils are done – only tossed one past its best spatula. The rest of the utensils are all used regularly.

I also did the car, only a couple of receipts. It could do with a clean, but British weather is vile at the moment, so its a bit of a waste of time!

I’m all caught up now!

Sasjanep

Oops no I’m not!

Day 26 – Today It’s About Your Shoes: I’m hoping that wholesale panic doesn’t set in today! Remember – we’re only spending ten minutes on this challenge so I don’t want you to be overwhelmed. Watch the video. Set the timer to ten minutes and dive right in. Let’s hear how you did on this difficult one.
    http://ow.ly/h2PUQ
    #31Days2GetOrganized

bandicoot

shoes: done!

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

I just went through my shoes and got rid of 2 pairs (sold one on ebay and was never paid. Had to open a ‘case’ to get my fees refunded)and a pair of slippers so shoes are in good order.

Profile photo of liag
    liag

Just curious: Unclutterers who have done one cure or another for January: Will you miss it? Or, if you don’t know yet, please let us know if you do in fact. Once I had decluttered I really did miss the process and the catharsis. I am also interested in knowing if you find it easy to achieve maintenance. (I did.) Bravo to all of you for all the successes.

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

I’ve enjoyed Peter Walsh’s and The January Cure but not the eight step cure. I found I am for the most part, decluttered and organized. As far as home repairs,
    DH does them so the eight step didn’t work for me.

I think I will miss it! I like having a special something to do everyday that we’re all doing. I still have a few areas that can be tweaked and I want to completely re-do our bedroom closet.

Well, I’m ‘catching up’ on this so today I did the ‘socks and jocks’ drawers plus mystery shelf…or I should say, drawers. It’s amazing what one finds and can get rid of. I decided to go through my bedside drawers instead of just thinking that I ‘should’ or ‘really need to get to that one day’. In there I found some speciality underwear which I put in the regular drawer so I’ll remember to actually use them. I also gave myself permission to throw out a couple of items that I couldn’t find a use for in the past and had just shoved back in the drawers in the past.

I shall miss doing Peter’s challenges and also the Jan Cure. I have got crazily behind with both challenges but I’m writing out the tasks that I haven’t completed and shall attempt to catch up with completing them. Of course, it won’t be as much fun as doing them without everyone else on board!

Mind you, I have probably been spending more than the allotted 10 mins for each task plus even on the tasks that I think have done previously I have been double-checking that there may be even more that can go, so perhaps that’s why I’m a bit behind. I am amazed at how organized everyone else has been, at the number of people who said that particular areas have already been sorted. Perhaps I should be on a Severe Clutterers site!

glossta1

Good idea Clutterbug – I shall go through the thread and write out the list with nice big ticks beside the things I have done. Because I’m trying to ‘eat an elephant’ clutterwise, I haven’t beaten myself up over his challenges if I have left some for now, because it is essential that I don’t let myself feel swamped at the amount ahead of me to do. I have learned so much since joining this forum that I feel it has tranformed my life, which sounds like an exaggeration, but actually isn’t. I am sensibly chipping away at stuff at a manageable rate, and not letting it become either obsessive or neglected – how amazing is that?!

Anyone up with what Day 27 is?

laetitia: He doesn’t seem to post the day’s challenge until later in the day. One of the perks of living in LA, I guess.

liag: I did the home cure in the Fall and am still working on the residue of that. Like many others, I’ve noted that a lot of the Peter Walsh challenge I’ve dealt with already, although in most areas there is still some fine-tuning to do. I’ve found both very useful — it’s helpful for me to be told what to do every day, and had me looking at some areas I might have passed over. Someone mentioned a paper challenge for February — I’m all over that!

Shoes: I have “funny” feet, which is especially troublesome since I walk so much. Compared to most people I know, I don’t have a lot of footwear and all of them are in use, but I am always in search of the perfect pair of shoes. I suspect a new pair of walking shoes are in the stars . . . sigh.

Profile photo of britannia
    britannia

I just finished the 8-step home cure and am really glad I did it. My apartment is less messier now and I’ve picked up some good habits. Most of the January Cure and Peter Walsh are things I’ve already taken care of on the 8-step cure. I have, however, drawn up a Project List to take care of the things I didn’t get around to during the 8-step cure. I’m whittling away at item, but adding items all the time. This will be a never-ending list but I hope to get the number of actual tasks (now 25) on it down to a reasonable number.

Day 27 – How Many Belts Do You Own?: It’s time to tighten your belt(s) by seeing how many you own and letting go of those you no longer need, use or want. Check out the video. Gather all your belts into one place. Make some belt magic happen!
    http://ow.ly/h2Qkp
    #31Days2GetOrganized

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Clutterbug, you are doing just fine! Everybody starts where s/he is.

Liag, a couple of years ago I did Michele Connolly’s 30-Day Organize-athon (google for: get organized wizard) which was an enormous boost to me, even though I wasn’t especially ever “cluttered”. I liked it for a variety of reasons, one of which that daily I would actually, y’know, LOOK at an area every day with fresh eyes. It’s easy for me to turn a blind eye to certain types of clutter.

The great benefit to me of the 8-week cure was looking at our home as a whole to identify the underlying problems (for me, no matter how efficient I am at tossing stuff, it still won’t make me love my tiny gem any more when the “bones” still need fixing)/

the January cure has helped me as a reminder to keep on top of things,

Peter Walsh’s challenge has been fun because everything is do-able in only 10 minutes or less, and I get to polish my Smugness Halo because most things have been so recently done there’s not much to do

All of the different challenges have been useful and all have given me inspiration and motivation

Thanks djk!

(btw, I’ve got Michelle Connolly’s ’30 Day Organizathon’ in my Favourites and shall probably attempt that in the future.) I do make a note of interesting 30 Day challenges that pop up on cleaning/organization/Mom blogs, it’s quite fun to follow these challenges every now and then.

Day 27 – Belts

Did go through my belts and had got rid of one last week, when I backtracked and did the Sock Drawer task, which is where I keep some of my belts. Put a belt organizer-hanger to use (rather than it being stuffed in the wardrobe still in its packaging!) and hung my belts so that they are easy to see. So at least I can be smug on this task!

@clutterbug – I had a lot of travel and such in January, so I didn’t fully participate in either challenge – but I keep trying to catch up! I might make February a challenge catch up month – sort of a pre-spring-cleaning exercise.

sleepykitten,
    oh, that’ll be good to have someone to catch up along with!

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Belts–that’s easy! I have one, and it’s on my robe:)

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

27 Belts – They’re already in the same place and I have six – but as most of them are belts I got for free when I buy pants and seem to last about a year I will keep all. They unclutter themselves anyway! Last year I binned two from wearing them until they fell apart. I don’t mind though, when I get bored with one it’s usually falling to pieces and I get to “shop” for free in my closet. :)

Profile photo of Claycat
    Claycat

Me, too, Djk! LOL!

Profile photo of liag
    liag

The belt discussion made me laugh. My husband always laughs when he sees me in a belt (rarely–but sometimes I do “belt” to make the empty belt loops not look so blatant and lonely.) He says on women belts are not a necessity because of hips. He is not being sexist–he is just very function-oriented. It would never occur to him that perhaps they were part of the outfit or were there for fashion as opposed to keeping the pants or skirt from falling down. Personally I try not to wear extra pieces–jewelry, scarves, belts–that complicate getting dressed. I guess he and I are well-matched!

Sasjanep

Belts and shoes – Check! One belt into the donation bag, also added 3 thin wooly scarves as they were stored in the same place.

3 pairs of boots into the to be sold pile. Will give them one chance on ebay as they were all failures for various reasons. if they dont sell, to Oxfam they will go.

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

Well, I don’t have any belts. DH has one reversible one. Guess I don’t need to declutter anything here.

bandicoot

i am SO GLAD to see that i am not the only completely unbelted freak here :)
    i cannot remember the last time i owned a belt.
    DH owns two and they are coiled on a shelf below his shirts.

liag….i think i will miss the buzz of the daily cure and walsh challenges.
    on the whole, i was quite organised after almost four years of constant, gradual, gentle downsizing of stuff, and then the massive upheaval over late december with the tiling project really forced me to organise and clean and sort even more.
    but it was still fun to tick things off, or to do deeper in some areas that i hadn’t thought of until prompted.
    like susan said, it was helpful to me to be told what to do.

glossta, when i first found this forum, it was transformational for me too.
    to find a group of people dedicated to clearing out the excess….it was/is quite wonderful.
    i was already a longtime proponent of simple living, but i never really had anyone to discuss it with.

clutterbug…it is ok to just do what you can do, when you can do it.
    nobody is holding a stopwatch or even a calender.
    it is your home and your life and you are completely in charge of what happens and when.
    i know what you mean about taking mre than ten minutes for some things. i did too. and some things were done before i even began.
    you will get around to everything eventually, believe me.
    i chipped away, sometime just one drawer at a time, then massive purgings followed by nothing for weeks on end.
    but eventually, it all gets done.

I am going to catch up on the challenge and complete the 11 days I missed. Luckily, belts are not a problem. One belt coiled in my jeans drawer. I have not used it for ages, do I even need it???

Thanks Bandicoot,

yes, I think it’s the perfectionist bit coming out in me, wanting to follow every task to the T and also hoping for miracles, lol! I have actually done quite a lot of the tasks but it’s a case of me wanting to do them even better. For example, re: the shoe task – I’ve managed to get rid of about 30 pairs of shoes and boots since the summer, surely that’ll do for this task, maybe I can let myself off the hook for that one!

Day 28 – Digging Into Your Kids’ Closets: Today’s challenge is for you to spend ten minutes going through your kids’ closets to find any clothes that no longer fit them or that they just don’t wear. Grab as many as you can in ten minutes, throw them into a trash bag and take them to Goodwill as soon as you can. No kids? Check under every bed in the house – get rid of what doesn’t belong!
    #31Days2GetOrganized

http://ow.ly/i/1pHeU

Profile photo of djk
    djk

No kids, just was sorting out under the bed a couple of weeks ago. So, check!

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

No kids. Nothing under my bed. Suitcases and one rug under guest room bed so I’m good on this one.

badkitti

I daren’t throw away of of my son’s clothes as if we have another we’ll need them, and even if we have a girls most will still be wearable.

I have recently weeded out the too small ones for boxing away, and fished out the next size.

I could however look through the younger sizes and narrow them down to the good stuff

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

No kids! Nothing under my bed either, not even dust bunnies. Hoovered yesterday. Woop woop!

ETA: Hehe, just read all of the comments and bandicoots “completely unbelted freak” taken out of context sounds like you all escaped from the looney bin recently. Haha. Sorry. In a silly mood. Monday night tiredness. :)

bandicoot

lol, i was in a silly mood when i posted it!

no kids and nothing under the beds except for a spare mattress under one bed.
    this is a temporary home.
    i haven’t quite decided where it should end up, but for now it has a dust cover and looks tidy.

One bed and under there live things like a futon mattress in a bag (so we have something for guests since we don’t have a spare bed at the moment), the doonas for winter (also bagged) slippers and ‘bathroom’ scales (no room in the bathroom and I think bedroom is just as appropriate). But I will double check as I think I hid fragile things from on top of my chest of drawers there when the house was on the market last year but haven’t yet retrieved them because they’re decorative rather than functionally necessary.

Sasjanep

No kids here either and nothing under the bed!

No kids and nothing under the bed. I hope…you never know what might lurk in the dark.

Belts – I own one nondescript belt that I intend to keep. I find it to be fairly handy, actually, since I have been losing weight and it has allowed me to get some extra wear out of jeans and dress pants. I like the look of wide belts around dresses…but I carry all my weight in my belly, so I don’t really have the right kind of waist to make that style work for me.

No kids. Nothing under the bed.

Day 29 – Pens and Pencils: I so wish I was a fly on the wall in your home to watch you tackling this fun challenge. Check out the video. Grab a box. Hunt down those pens and pencils wherever they live in your home. You know what you have to do!
    http://ow.ly/h2QLx
    #31Days2GetOrganized

I’ve done this recently! I got rid of a lot of annoying pens/pencils/highlighters. And I purchased a set of pens that actually WORK WELL – nice, thick, black ball-points. I still have some pen/pencil clutter, but it is much better than it used to be.

I need to look at belts. I actually LOVE wearing belts and at 5’9″ am tall enough to carry it off. Unfortunately, I am not slim enough at this moment :( Maybe it is time to let a few go . . . .

Pens and pencils are good for now — I also “did” them a while ago — and I periodically donate A LOT of them.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Pens and pencils–took all the extras to work last week so I’m golden!

badkitti

Pens are a funny one -they migrate all over the house and into bags. I evither have too many or not enough

Sasjanep

Been through the pens, binned one that didnt work and put 3 I didnt like into the donation bag.

Have to keep a pencil case full for parents meetings though, as no one else ever seems to bring a pen. But they are nicely tucked away so I dont mind too much.

bandicoot

i had a pen cull when cleaning out my desk recently.
    tick that one off!

Profile photo of Shazamela
    Shazamela

Doing this one as a February challenge, but as there are few days, I’m starting today. Embarrassed to say I still have a few holiday things hanging around in the living room, so the first challenge is still appropriate.

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

I keep pens on DH’s and my desk and a few in the kitchen for grocery lists. DH will use any pen, I prefer a roller ball fine point blue pen. I ddid a pen and pencil clean out a few months ago and took the extras to the SPCA thrift store.
    So I’m ok on this one.

Profile photo of gailbon
    gailbon

Ohhhh, boy, I have been lurking on this post, feeling all sorts of smug with my decluttering prowess, until today. I think Peter Walsh has found my Achilles Heel. Just the thought of gathering up the pens, pencils, and highlighters makes me break out in a sweat!

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

The job I started a year ago had a shortage of good pens so I brought my surplus in and binned a bunch that were no longer working. Donated a bunch of pretty pens as well. Now I have two pretty jars of pens and one pen next to my bed. :)

Pens and pencils migrate in and out of our house at random but more prevalently at end-of-term-time as DH is a teacher. If I can get him on-board with it, this should be his domain, methinks.

Task 28 – Kids Closet

Just sorted out a binliner worth of kids clothes which have been picked up at ds’s school for Cash 4 clothing (school gets money for donated clothing) so I managed to get rid of quite a few things – about 20 items of clothing, 6 sunhats, 3 pairs of shoes, soft toys etc so that was a successful task.

Task 29 – Pens and Pencils

Glad he said to not worry about the ones in the kids’ rooms! (although I have actually gone through the kids pens and felt tips during the summer anyway).
    Got rid of 6 pens of ours.

btw, does anyone know how to get those correction pens with the white fluid working again, have got one that’s still full but it won’t flow any more

badkitti

@Clutterbug – drop of white spirit? Not 100% on that though so if you do try it, report back.

Day 30 – Let’s Look at Your Books: This will be tough …. I know. Don’t be overwhelmed. Watch the video. Set the timer for ten minutes. Do what you can in that time to find any books that you no longer love and want in your home. Let us know how you did!
    http://ow.ly/h2Rex
    #31Days2GetOrganized

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

I have several books in the trunk of my car waiting til I get by Goodwill so, I’m good on books.

Profile photo of djk
    djk

Good on books too.
    Just went through them again last weekend.

badkitti

I did books just after New year so I shall relax on that one. Wonder what the last day #31 will be?

bandicoot

books are fine here too.

Books – bahahaha – oh, dear – first I have to deal with the ones acquired from my parents’ house so I can find my ‘own’. However, today I have been working on the linen cupboard (much longer than 10 minutes) combined cleaning products cupboard. I have to wait for input from DH on which towels to retain.

Profile photo of Swede
    Swede

30. Books – Yeah… smugness gone. Hahaha.

I have three bags of books (as I don’t know when I’ll have to move I don’t want to unpack them) and a few weeks ago when I was looking for a specific book I quickly counted the books in one of the bags. About 70! I got rid of 4-5 but the rest are books I want to read before letting them go. About a year before I moved abroad I got €1000 from my employer to buy books for (spent my own money and then got reimbursed for the receipts) so the amount of books I own that I haven’t read yet is prob a lot higher than a normal person. I am making good progress though. During 2012 I read about 45 books and I only kept one. I did buy about 15 new ones though… Hehe. Need to stop that until I’m somewhat done with at least one of the bags. My goal for 2013 is not buying any new books + getting rid of a book a week and I’m already falling behind… But as long as I don’t order more, any books out is still progress. :)

I don’t see my books as clutter. I will never not own books. I just don’t want to move heavy books I don’t love, esp as I don’t know where I’ll live and how many times I will have to move my things around to different places. :( I also don’t want this huge pile of books that I haven’t read yet, I want to only own books that I want to re read. So for this 10 minute challenge I count myself “done”.

Swede – I so hear you on the always owning books but not wanting to move more heavy books than necessary. I’m wondering how big the bags are that can fit 70 books though – wow! I’ve stopped even borrowing books from the library for the time being on the basis that I have a relatively large unread library right here at home.

Today I went through the linen cupboard and will donate a couple of towels, face-washers and single bed sheets. We had been tossing old socks in the bottom of the cupboard for use as cleaning rags. But I found that we would then still buy other rags so I’ve retrieved the socks and they’ll go to a crafting friend who makes dog beds (for the local pound) using old clean fabric and sewing cast-offs as part of the stuffing. We still have other old fabric to use as rags and I’m going to use some other elderly hand-towels etc. as cleaning / drying rags.

Books! Oh dear! We are at bursting point and need to do a cull, but it will take longer than ten minutes.

I will add that I have not bought a “paper” book since I got my iPad :)

Day 31 – It’s Over to You: Today’s challenge is the best of all and will make sure that the great momentum of #31Days2GetOrganized doesn’t end today. Check out the video and get to it!! I want to hear what you think.
    #31Days2GetOrganized
    http://ow.ly/hf4DU

For those unable to view the video, today’s challenge is to come up with five 10-minute challenges of your own and post if to his facebook wall.

Task 28- Kids closets

Was on a roll yesterday when I’d got up early to sort some clothes out to donate to the school and carried on in the morning sorting out dd’s wardrobe. More clothes out and now her clothes that are wearable are easy to get and in category piles, I’d bought one of those shoe/jumper organizers to make things easier to see. So, a BIG job done!

Task 30 – Books

Had had a go at this a couple of weeks ago, just taken 6 to charity shop, a pile of another 8 books ready to go and ds’s school has asked if people have any spare books for their school library so any that I come across can go there.

badkitti,
    Thanks for the tip, I was wondering whether that’d work. Get back to when I try it.

glossta1

Now that February’s here, we are all meant to be finished. Sadly, I’m not. I got about 3/4 done though, which is more than if I hadn’t found it. I’m game for keeping going, so I’ve started an ‘Into February’ posting with a summary of the 31 days in 10-day chunks…

glossta1: I’m not yet finished with all the home cure ideas I came up with in October/November — let alone the Peter Walsh Organizing Challenge tasks. Don’t feel like you are alone. 3/4 done is pretty darn good!

glossta1

@susanintexas – Thanks for that – I feel better now. I’m bowled over by all the useful suggestions and support I come across on here, and I worry about losing track of the good ideas I haven’t managed to action yet!

badkitti

A notepad or word doc to list all those good ideas glossta?

Has anyone done their own 10 min challenges over 5 different areas as per the Day 31 Task?

I’ve chosen to do 10 mins on photos, digital, dh’s hobby corner (possibly dangerous territory there!) and going through those little bowls of bits and bobs that are always lying around and lastly, purse/wallet.

glossta1

I’ve put it into a Word document, badkitti – it seemed too good to go to waste. Clutterbug, I’ve done my handbag (purse), and the contacts on my mobile, and my hanging jewellery rack, and deleted 400 emails (way to go still on this one), which is only 4 so far. My briefcase might happen tonight, but more likely not because too much lesson-preparation remains to be done for tomorrow.

bandicoot

glossta…3/4 finished is still a HEAP more finished than you were at the start of january.
    so, celebrate, and cut yourself some slack!

Profile photo of Sky
    Sky

My next 10 minute project is my memorabilia. I have 4 sons and 6 grandchildren and my own things so it’s a lot. I don’t want to get rid of any of it, just want to come up with a better way to store it all.

Profile photo of s
    s

Oh my, glossta, you said it!!!

I’m bowled over by all the useful suggestions and support I come across on here(and everywhere!), and I worry about losing track of the good ideas I haven’t managed to action yet!

bandicoot

you could clip stuff to evernote, perhaps?
    i love evernote because it is all fabulous searchable.
    really, you just need to recall one single word that is within the clipping, or a tag you have created yourself.

@badkitti,

I tried some white spirit on a cotton bud to unblock my correction pen (Pen Task – previous page) and it worked! Just took a few seconds, Thanks for the tip!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.