Home Forums Welcome Hello! One Nice Thing – February 2013

This topic contains 55 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of lucy1965 lucy1965 1 year, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Ella

Time for a new month full of nice things!

My nice one for today was attending a slide talk by a supremely talented young Italian calligrapher. His work is very exciting and very “byoo-tee-fool” (pronounced with that marvelous accent). *swoon*

Now I am dreaming of studying calligraphy.
    Or better yet… studying calligraphy in Italy!

bandicoot

One Nice Thing – February 2013

right now, sitting up in bed, with a cup of really good coffee, i realise that as far as the eye can see, the floor is finished tile. lovely!
    just one last small area to be laid today, and grouted tomorrow, and bobsyeruncle!

Swede

My nice thing… My doctor is on leave for a year so I have to see a new one. I told her straight away about my bad experiences with doctors during 2012 and that I want to be taken seriously and not get laughed at (yup, that happened. More than once!!) or not listened to (four times I met with doctors who said “I had nothing to worry about” and all those times I was seriously ill and what I thought I had was actually accurate but no one listened to me so I was in severe pain/really sick for much longer than necessary). She said she would definitely listen to my concerns and she seemed really nice and … well, sane. She even started looking at my medical history while she had me on the phone. It made me less nervous about things and I have an appointment tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s nothing, I really want to leave the mysterious health issues in 2012.

But seriously; when I had a really serious eye infection with an eye so swollen I couldn’t even open it and pain so bad I couldn’t sleep, one idiot doctor prescribed ear drops???? Even the girl at the pharmacy was horrified about it. Yup, you can’t make this crap up. Haha.

lucy1965

The invitation to my goddaughter’s wedding arrived today! I have until August to find a dress; that might be enough time . . . .

Ella

Went to the evening zen talk, after more than a year’s absence. It felt good.

My plan for coming home safely worked perfectly… waiting at the safe bus shelter, taking the outbound bus to the end of Haight, some quick shopping at Whole Foods, and then the inbound bus home.

bandicoot

ella….smooth use of transport there! and some doubling -tasking. LIKE.

some new music today…mahler and tchaikovsky. i recently watched a slightly silly french movie called the concert…..but the music was sublime.

Ella

I thought: Ah, such a lovely evening for a long walk to North Beach for the opening of an art exhibition at the Italian Cultural Institute. When I emerged from the show an hour later, I hadn’t gone but a few steps when the sky opened up and poured down hard icy rain. I walked/ran all the way home, since it would have been many more blocks to detour over to a bus line. So now I’ve learned that most of the “awnings” over business doorways are fake…. merely skeletal frameworks and useless in a downpour. All my sopping clothes are hanging to dry, and I’m about to settle in next to a warm purring kitty, with a big hot bowl of pasta plus garlic bread, and “Bride & Prejudice” on DVD… a Bollywood take on Jane Austen. Surprisingly, it got great reviews and two thumbs up. All in all, not a bad evening.

bandicoot

i have seen bride and prejudice…..it’s cute.
    i have a soft spot for bollywood, but in small doses.
    how did you like it?

Ella

bandicoot: That was my first ever taste of Bollywood. It was silly, sweet, bizarre, hilarious, and wonderful! I loved the scenes in LA, especially the musical number on Santa Monica Beach (one of my favorite places in the world) with the gospel choir and dancing surfers.

Today I’m off to the movies for the whole afternoon, a triple bill. I’m taking my own snacky lunch: a big bag of baby carrots and celery, and a small bag of almonds and cashews.

bandicoot

bollywood pumps out three full length feature movies every.single.day of the year.
    it’s crazy.

my nice thing is a lazy saturday morning in bed with tchaikovsky’s violin concerto in d major, op 35.
    plus coffee, and toast with aged cheddar and homemade green pepper pickle.
    and later, i will finish reassembling my freshly tiled office.

liag

I swear, bandicoot, every time you write it’s like a beautiful little vignette with all the sensory and realistic detail vividly painting a picture. You write fiction ever?

Ella

Spring is here! Yesterday while out walking, I saw the first cherry trees all decked out in pink blossoms.

lucy1965

*looks out the window at snow, whimpers*

Ella, thank you for mentioning your Zen center; I’m hoping that I can find a community when we move (ours fell apart when Roshi admitted to schtupping three of the students).

Ella

lucy: The SF center has had its share of sorrows and scandals, yet is still going strong. I hope you can find a new sangha, or maybe even start one yourself.

Ella

Despite looking and feeling like sludge, I dragged myself out of sick bed to shop for more provisions. Today’s nice thing was making the perfect soothing soup for a sore throat. It’s a variation on stelline in brodo, but I couldn’t find tiny pasta stars so I used tiny delicate shells instead. Smash a clove of garlic and heat in a bit of olive oil, add chicken broth (low-sodium, so I can add/adjust the salt to my liking), add conchigliette and cook until al dente, then toss in some chopped spinach, and finish with a light snowfall of parmesan. So quick and wonderful. Each spoonful going down felt like a throat massage.

Another nice thing: Baby blue skies and more frothy pink cherry blossoms busting out all over.

s

Ella, that is a beautiful description of the soothing soup!

lucy1965

Ella, it sounds delicious; that it’s soothing to your throat as well is (almost) a bonus.

This morning I am waiting for my mother’s weekly phone call, with a piece of chocolate loaf cake I baked last night and a cup of Twinings English Breakfast. The cats are wandering in and out of the sunroom, occasionally coming close enough for a pat or jumping in my lap for the length of three purrs, then jumping down and heading off about their own business.

Yesterday’s Nice Thing was a small one, but it made me smile: a packet of hair elastics in various shades of gray, with the collection named “Rainy Skies”. My hair is finally long enough to pull back into a short ponytail, and I have learned my lesson re: me and short haircuts. Finding these felt like a validation of my personal style choices.

luxcat

Ella that soup sounds good!

My nice thing today is a)I took yesterday off to catch up on personal things, including sitting in a sunny backyard and reading a book and listening to birds.

Today I slept in and woke up to find DH doing the dishes.

Astreja

Went to the Symphony last night, and heard Mozart’s 25th Piano Concerto with pianist Angela Cheng, followed by Prokofiev’s Romeo and Juliet. Beautiful stuff.

bandicoot

liag, i have neglected this thread for days, and just saw your very complimentary post this minute.
    i have never written anything but a lot of long letters and my sadly neglected blog.
    i’d love to write a book one day, but i haven’t a single clue what i would write about. feeble, i know.

today’s nice thing is the satisfaction of a spotless house, a visiting friend, and dinner already pretty much prepared…i just need to throw the marinated chicken on grill, and put the prepared dressing on the prepared salad, and take the layered homemade yoghurt/berry/clover honey parfaits from the fridge to serve.

ah, yes. I too cleaned my house this morning and a friend from my department spent the day.
    I also finally got around to vacuuming my car–it certainly needed it!

ah, yes. I too cleaned my house this morning and a friend from my department spent the day.
    I also finally got around to vacuuming my car–it certainly needed it! So that will be my nice thing all over again when I get in the car tomorrow. :)

All in all, a good day.
    A book, a cup of chai, and a nice candle finish off this evening.

Now that you’ve all made me hungry (and I can’t even eat half the things you’ve mentioned)… It was my birthday last Wednesday (happy birthday to me, I’m a hundred and three…ok, not quite) and I’m ‘subscribed’ to the birthday clubs of a number of restaurants / take-away / cafe places. Last Tuesday I got an e-mail from one of them saying that they’d ‘loaded my card’ with 10 ‘Noodle $’ (it’s a noodle place) and I’d have a week to use them. I found that one of the nearest outlets is near the storage place where my Mum and we have storage lockers so I got some lunch from there today after I put some of Mum’s boxes back in her locker. Nom, nom, nom.

Sasjanep

Yesterday’s nice thing was a walk in the park. London weather has been so desperately awful the last few weeks, that as soon as the sun came out, I went for a walk. Bumped into a friend while I was getting a cup of coffee and we strolled in the park through the bright sunshine on our way home.

Larousse

Hadn’t seen this thread till now! :)
    New year’s nice thing – realising that I can get off my commuter train one whole stop early and walk the rest of the way, 20-25 mins and about 3km through the quiet Paris streets, and still get to work on time.
    February’s nice thing – finding a variation of this walk which takes me through the gardens of the Palais Royal.
    This morning’s nice thing – the first time it felt a bit like spring, the Palais Royal was full of sunshine under a bright blue sky, birds singing, and they had switched the fountain on! So I went back there at lunchtime with a thermos of soup and a sandwich for a picnic on a bench.

bandicoot

larousse, that sounds heavenly.
    i am madly in love with paris and permanently obsessed with how soon i can get back there to visit!

i had a late night and an early morning, so now i am indulging in a lazy afternoon listening to a heavy downpour, surrounded by contented cats, and planning a special lunch for a friend tomorrow.
    pork loin roast with lots of roasted vegetables and crackling and apple compote.
    and rustic pluot tarts with pure chantilly cream.
    i’ll do as much prep as i can tonight, and i’ve got bix beiderbecke to swing along to while i peel potatoes.

Mimi

two good news for today:

even though it snows today, there is a slight odour of spring in the air!

this morning i signed a one year contract at a gym. i need a kick in the youknowwhere and i hope they help me to get and stay motivated to get in shape.

DH and I took the 3-day weekend (President’s Day here) to go on a short vacation. Drove to Galveston (about 4 1/2) hours) and on the way stopped at San Jacinto (the site of the last battle of the Texas revolution) and walked a 10K through the battlefield; walked a 10K through Galvelston, and on the way home a 10K through a Hermann Park in Houston. The weather was perfect — about a half hour out of Houston on the way home we hit a downpour. Perfect timing!

Galveston was hit hard by Hurricane Ike in 2008 and thousands of 100-year-old oaks were felled. The tree conservancy commissioned sculptors to turn some of them into art — it was beautiful and whimsical. In front of the house where King Vidor, one of the directors of the Wizard of Oz was born, there is a Tin Man and Toto. Sweet!

We’re already thinking of where we might go for Memorial Day in May — probably Baton Rouge so we can get a stamp for walking a 10K in our state capital book for Louisiana.

lucy1965

Larousse, I hope you will excuse me if I don’t tell DS about your lovely day? He and his partner spent two summers living in Paris and are working hard to get back there.

DH has just left for the first day of his new contract! I have tea, sea salt dark chocolate and All The Laundry to manage, but there are hints of a blue sky and the cats are amusing themselves with paper bags, so it’s time to blast The Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show and get on with it.

mdfloyd

A new website published a podcast review of a book I wrote –favorably, too! My head is extremely large tonight.

mdfloyd

A new website published a podcast review of a book I wrote –favorably, too! My head is extremely large tonight.

Ella

This heavenly early spring in California has brought forth my favorite annual treat so soon, in February already!… a big box of perfectly ripe and plump and luscious organic strawberries, grown locally. I had them for dinner tonight!

djk

Congratulations, mdfloyd!

liag

Wow, mdf! That is spectacular.

lucy1965

Hooray for mdf!

s

Yay, mdfloyd!

Barbs

Congratulations mdfloyd! That’s so cool!

Barbs

Ella I am jealous. DH and I vacationed in California last may and we bought some strawberries at a roadside stand. They were unbelievably good. I don’t know how I can get some here. There are a lot of farmers markets but I never see strawberries like that. The ones in the grocery store are awful. I guess the Californians keep all the good ones.
    I do love the california clementines in the winter.

bandicoot

congratulations mdfloyd!

Ella

I phoned and talked to my friend in the hospital! I’ve been cut off from news about her this week, then today my nurse friend said: Good news, she’s able to talk briefly on the phone now after a bout with pneumonia the past several days. Poor sweet baby! She has to stay there for about 3 more weeks. I don’t know when I’ll be able to go see her, don’t want to risk dragging even the barest vestige of this throat thing in there. Her suffering surely puts my petty problem in perspective. I miss her, and I’m so grateful that she is recovering!

liag

May you both be 100% well soon.

mdfloyd

Thanks, y’all!

I ordered my SnapScan today and even paid extra for the get-it-tomorrow shipping. Then I took pictures of my study and sent them to friends to hold me accountable. I’ll post them here when I have some “after” pictures to post, too. The nice things about this are that my friends are perfectly willing to nag me to get it done, and one woman sent me a picture of an area she needs to declutter! ;-)

irishbell

Dd#5 comp. cheer team made top 4 last night at regionals and are going on to State Finals this Friday night!
    It’s been a hit or miss season for them, I’m so happy for them and to be experiencing such normal, everyday fun
    with them! I am remembering the word “grateful”.

lucy1965

Ella, I’m so happy to hear that you’re both making headway, and wish you easier recoveries from here on out.

irish, that’s fantastic!

I had a cupcake this morning, as a reward for dealing with a problematic kitchen sink.

liag

I love items like cupcakes: you get a treat, and you can eat the whole thing without too much guilt. Cupcakes are the big thing in much of the US now; other places? Ella: keep up the good work of recuperating. Maybe you need a cupcake, too?

djk

cupcakes for all!

they’re also everywhere here–the muffin tin is a relatively new and popular item locally, and are being sold in trendy bookstores attached to cupcake-themed cookbooks

however, the only actual real-life cupcake I have laid eyes on in 6 years was last Sunday at an expat’s birthday party. And I didn’t look at it for long.
    Num num

lucy1965

. . . and right now I am giggling because it’s Oscar Night. With a particular group of on-line friends that means a watch-and-post that degenerates rapidly into a critique of the dresses and waiting to see how drunk Meryl Streep is by the end of the evening (though it’s never as bad as the Golden Globes, affectionately known as “the Drinky Oscars”. I have no idea how anyone attending that one has a functional liver at the end of the night).

Ella

lucy: Thanks for that heads-up. I had completely forgotten about the Oscars tonight. This is one of the rare years when I’ve actually seen almost all of the contenders. My main vote goes to Argo.

Ella

SO thrilling that “Argo” won for Best Picture!
    The Academy got it right this year.

regarding the cupcakes, here’s some (satire of) academic prose. :) http://www.samplereality.com/2012/07/24/on-the-predominance-of-cupcakes-as-a-cultural-form/

prof. Clutter: Thanks for the cupcake article — funny.

luxcat

today I indulged in an all-natural product facial. I have not had one in years and my skin has been changing recently, becoming more red, dry, sensitive and thin as I get older. on top of this already-wonderful one nice thing I got a second nice thing… $10 off my service for being a long term customer of the salon (for other stuff)

Barbs

Just recently found a facebook page that makes me lol several times a day. They linked to this facebook post by the Reno County Sheriffs Department during the recent snowstorm:

Ok, here’s the bottom line.

Since we have not been able to move inmates to housing at Butler, Ford or Chase Counties, our jail is full. If you get arrested you will be on the concrete floor with a blanket. The choice is yours.

Sheriff Henderson

The sheriff is trying to declutter the jail.

Barbs
    Ella

I’m well enough to resume my volunteer work, which I did last night. And another gig tonight. The volunteer manager agreed to give me easy-going assignments for a while so I don’t get too tired. It feels so good to be out and about again. :)

lucy1965

I am off to get a haircut, my first in several months. Wish me pretty!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.