Home Forums Challenges no-spend-period

This topic contains 164 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of Mimi Mimi 2 years, 4 months ago.

• Author
    Mimi

the commitment-topic inspired me to change some habits. so i decided to spend no money except for the basics: food, rent, insurances and unexpected emergencies (and a gift for my cousins wedding who gets married in june) for 5 weeks. i am curious what happens. i got to know that this is a strategy called “no-spend-month” and also, that there are some people on this forum who have already done it, for a month or even half a year. wow! bandicoot (and even her husband) is/are also onboard! yay!
    is there anybody of you who also did this, not (only) to save money but e.g. to make a special statement or to make habits visible? or can´t you even imagine to stop shopping for a month?

Rosa

no-spend-period

I’ve had entire no-spend years when I lived on just a few thousand dollars for the whole year, so I can definitely imagine it. But I wouldn’t do it to make a statement.

You might be interested to see the rules for The Compact, Mimi – it’s not as strict in some ways, but more strict in others.

Jackthetiger

no-spend-period

My friend is in the last few weeks of a “no spend” year, although this was only for clothes. She has had to find solutions by mixing and matching from within her existing wardrobe. She now feels that she will be VERY selective when the year is up, although I am sure she will let her hair down when she comes to Melbourne to shop in the next few months!

Trish

no-spend-period

I’ve been wanting to do this for a while! It’s very often the first step in many get-out-of-debt programs. I read a great book about a woman who did this for a year, right when I first got into simplicity, and I’ve been thinking about it ever since.

Good luck, keep us posted on how it goes!!!

bandicoot

no-spend-period

mimi’s decision to commence a no-spend 5 weeks made me remember a no-spend month i did in nov 09.
    i figured it was high time for another, and offered to accompany mimi, because it often feels better to do something like this with some support.
    it is an interesting discipline, because usually, the only thing governing whether we buy or not is the question of finances.
    for this exercise, the money is assumed to be there and one consciously chooses to decline various purchases.
    it runs contrary to everything that consumer culture has taught us.

i have big plans for my saved coin.
    some for my kiva portfolio, and some for travel next year.

ninakk

no-spend-period

I think it is a great idea as long as it once again isn’t something someone does to show off on a minimalist blog somewhere. I can’t take a person seriously anymore if they count all their pairs of socks as one single pair, decide that toothpaste isn’t anything at all and in general neglect to acknowledge that the burden of stuff falls on someone else’s shoulders if they live out of a backpack. *rolls her eyes* That self-righteous boasting has gotten to me real bad, sorry. On the other hand, backpackers often seem to be single, right, so it could be a trendy way to decimate the population of the planet…

But this, Mimi, sounds great! I know you online already and believe you are doing it for the right reasons (yes, I am the police here :P j/k), so I send you good luck wishes and don’t forget to have fun! Oh and do you have a blog where you’re about to post on your endeavour? …..:P

@bandicoot: Kiva is Finnish and means “nice, fun” or something like that.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

i wonder if that is what kiva had in mind when they chose that name for their microfinancing organsation?
    http://www.kiva.org
    wouldn’t surprise me!

JuliaJayne

no-spend-period

I wish I could get my husband to do this with me. We haven’t been buying much, except that we both desperately need clothes. Our big spending problem is going out to eat or getting take out. That’s easy enough to stop, I can just say no :)

Charity

no-spend-period

At first I thought, oh, that’s really easy. Then I thought harder! My goal is simpler living, not saving money, so there would be no point stopping the services I buy, my main expenditure (childcare, cleaner, gardener, gym membership, occasional personal trainer). I buy very little physical stuff anyway and most of that is pretty essential – my list for this week consists of new sandals for the children (they have both grown), some blue-tac and some parcel tape. I think it would be good to eat out a lot less though, as the kids are getting spoiled and starting to expect it. So, picnics it is from now on. Hold me to it.

Rosa

no-spend-period

Nina, maybe I’m just burned out on it too – our debt-laden friends are always declaring theyr’e not going to spend ANY MONEY this month (except groceries, gasoline, lunches out, not-fun stuff like tape and stamps…)

So what are everyone’s rules? Mimi, are you buying food? (sometimes I do no grocery spending until the pantry’s empty, though I haven’t done it since I had the kid.)

Usually people say only ongoing expenses, groceries, and gifts. And bus pas/gas/repairs.

Mimi

no-spend-period

@ninaKK, the minimalism police, no, i don´t have a blog to show off : P i have written down some notes in the ATAD day style (temptations of the day) maybe i could post in this topic. it´s funny to see when i switch into the spend-money-modus. and so trivial.
    and yes bandicoot, it´s not a question of money. i was often sooo close to buy something for one or two or three euros, (e.g. nail polish) and just the commitment made me REALIZE that I still have 3 or 4 bottles of nail polish at home. it´s like I reflex: oh i like it, so i´ll buy it.
    @rosa, oh yes, i have to buy food because i don´t like to have a lot of canned/frozen food, i would starve within a few days ; )as i have to lose weight… could be an option for the next month: no-calorie diet. no, just kidding…
    my rules are: buy food, pay ongoing expenses like insurances, rent etc. and a gift for an important event. try to be frugal with food. and there is a dubious rule that “emergency costs” are also allowed.

ArtGal

no-spend-period

We’ve been doing this for about 1 year now…more out of necessity than anything else…(husband’s job of 25 years is slowly disappearing.) However, we decided to make it a positive experience, and a bit of a competition between us :) The rules are:
    1. All bills are paid first (house payment, utilities, etc.) We cancelled all unnecessaries (like cable.) This includes gas for car too, although trips are kept to a minimum.
    2. Then groceries are purchased. The game is to purchase food in it’s most natural form (cheaper and healthier) and to make the best possible dish from it. Whole Foods has a FREE app that allows you to enter “What’s on Hand” and it gives you a bunch of recipes that cater to what you typed in…this is a WONDERFUL and timesaving app!
    3. Next is an Emergency Health Fund…(unexpected doctor, dentist, vet bills.) We put “X” amount of money in this weekly to build it up. We also have an Emergency Home Fund…for unexpected repairs.
    4. All entertainment must be FREE! We go to local concerts, plays, etc. that are performed in parks, or to free festivals…always pack our own lunch to avoid tempting “festival-food!”
    5. Last is clothes…and it must be only the necessities (undies and the like.) No Wants, only NEEDS!
    6. At the end of the month we buy each other a $1.00 USABLE/CONSUMABLE gift to celebrate our commitment to each other…chocolate is always GOOD! :) It’s amazing what you can buy for a dollar and we make such a big production of it that I know this will become a lasting memory.

It’s funny that when we we first got married (26 years ago today!) we did these same things to survive…and then we got lazy and careless in our spending which resulted in chaos and clutter…and now, full circle, we are back to a simpler way of living…and LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!!! :)

no-spend-period

Good luck with your no spend period. I recently (2nd month) started working on a budgeting plan(Dave Ramsey) His beginning steps made sense and it has made a huge difference on how I have spent this past 8 weeks. I really wish I had started something years ago. Having a budget on paper was a huge eye opener for me.

no-spend-period

Happy anniversary ArtGal!

ArtGal

no-spend-period

Thank u needtocleanhouse! :)

bandicoot

no-spend-period

happy anniversay artgal!

i don’t know if i’ll blog about my no-spend month.
    i am not even sure how many days in i am.
    i am doing this to think about consumerism, not to save money….so i shall keep on my usual services.
    we have a magazine subscription to the economist….two weeks ago we changed it from print to ipad.
    we don’t employ staff in our business, but we do employ a gardener and house cleaners to make up for it.
    i’ve got no conflict about keeping them on, particularly while my mobility is still dodgy.
    we will be buying food and drink and car fuel only.
    if we needed shampoo or toothpaste, we’d buy it…but we are both fairly economical with those sorts of things and will get through the month easily with the current bottle/tube.
    if we need any sort of repairs to the solar hot water, the fridge,the wood stove, the water pumps, the car….i would expect to pay for that right away too.
    and if some incredible travel deal turns up this month….not that i am actively looking!….i would probably jump on it.
    but no STUFF!

ArtGal

no-spend-period

Thanks bandicoot!
    My husband just came home with a single flower and a piece of chocolate for me…cost was $1.00!!! Amazing :)

Brandilynn

no-spend-period

I’m game :) Other than food, a few gifts I already have outlined and budgeted for, a haircut, and a trip to see my first cousin once removed (not seen her in 12 years!! And she’s only an hr and a half away from me right now! Seeing as how the last time I saw her I lived 4000 miles away I think I’m entitled ;)) I won’t be spending anything. No ice cream cones in town, quick runs to the takeaway, things on Amazon (the postie will be happy!), books for my new kindle.. nada until 1 July.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

lots of room here for you brandilynn!
    settle in and tell us how you are doing.

i am salivating over a new imac.
    my macbook could probably cruise along for a couple more years but i do a lot of business online.
    i know i could easily sell the macbook if i let it go soonish while it is still lively.
    will have to wait until july anyway, for the new os x.
    i have been playing justification and rationalisation games allllll day, for instance: this is a company expense, it’s not like a personal purchase. my business needs this computer….it’s not for moi. etc.

but i still haven’t purchased it.
    before the end of the month, i may have talked myself into simply upgrading the os x on the macbook, even though i am two upgrades behind.

Mimi

no-spend-period

bandicoot, i just found this article:
    http://zenhabits.net/monitor-your-impulse-spending-urges/
    i like the idea of the 30 day list. just put the macbook on the list and wait ; )

it´s interesting that my shopping urges get controlled. the first week was horrible. forbidden fruits everywhere. now it´s okay, i am kind of bored of ebay etc. the only problem is that may BF is manipulating my efford by saying: “you are invited! let´s have dinner at a restaurant!”

no-spend-period

I started a no spend month for June, mainly because after over a year of unlimited OT at work some of my spending habits have gotten sloppy, that and that the fact that OT will be much more limited for the foreseeable future I decided to push the reset button on my spending habits. All usual services will be paid for but groceries will be limited to necesities only (the lack of soda is killing me) and any things else better have a really good reason (I did buy a fan on Sunday because mine had broke and it was over 100. I bought a nice Hunter fan so hopefully it will last me many years.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

ok mimi, the fancy computer is on the 30 day list!
    thinking about it some more, i suspect that what i really want is the upgraded software.
    if i can do that on the macbook, then i will.
    but not until next month, regardless.

JuliaJayne

no-spend-period

MSPunclutterer…

Read this short article on what happens to your body when you drink a soda. Print it and post it on your fridge.

http://www.nutritionresearchcenter.org/healthnews/what-happens-to-your-body-if-you-drink-a-coke-right-now/

no-spend-period

Have you tried either of the supplements listed at the end of the article? If you have, how were/are they?

JuliaJayne

no-spend-period

I’ve never taken the supplements, but they sound good. I’d do a little more research before spending the money, though.

Brandilynn

no-spend-period

Sigh, why must you bring up soda?? I know it’s horrible for me but I can’t help myself.. in my house I was taught that water was “lame” and “gross”.. ugh, thanks mom and dad! Trying to undo 19 years worth of damage from living there (I remember drinking soda with a straw at the age of 2 or so!) takes so much effort! ;)

Parsifal

no-spend-period

The key to kicking soda is like any other chemical addiction – do it gradually so you don’t notice the withdrawal symptoms. In college, I drank at least one a day. Now that I’m past 30, my metabolism can’t take 300 calories of pure sugar a day (and way more than that when I was hooked on Monster drinks). I switched to diet, then gradually consumed less and less as I didn’t get the same kick. Then I switched to unlimited coffee, then 3/4 decaf, then 1/2 caf. Now, I drink 1/4 caf at home and plain black coffee, sometimes with Stevia, at work. I get real coffee so rarely I don’t even mind the lack of sugary creamer and whipped cream anymore.

I also committed to eating a daily breakfast of oatmeal, raisins and cinnamon, with unsalted almonds when I have them. The cost of my breakfast has gone from over $4 (thank you, Popeye’s) to under $0.50, and I’m losing some weight too!

I know this has gotten off-topic so I’ll just say that gradually introducing healthy, home-made food and drinks into your diet REALLY helps slash the budget. We probably spend $500 a month now and at one point we were over $1,200 a month for two people!

JuliaJayne

no-spend-period

Brandilynn, I’m bringing up soda to save your pancreas :)

Ella

no-spend-period

If you want to break the soda habit, I dare you to stop recycling your soda bottles for a while. Just let them accumulate on your floor, rolling around and tripping you up. Keep drinking sodas as usual but keep adding to the pile of empty bottles, day after day, week after week after week. It’ll be interesting to see how long it actually takes you to get grossed out enough by it all to finally stop.

I should talk. I was seriously addicted to diet cola sodas (Coke, Pepsi, Dr. Pepper) forever. Then I switched to Diet 7-Up and diet lemonade after I read somewhere that the artificial coloring in colas puts a strain on your kidneys. That switch helped me transition to filtered tap water with a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime, which is my beverage of choice now, thankfully. Easier on the budget, too.

Brandilynn

no-spend-period

JuliaJayne – maybe I don’t want a pancreas???? :P

The ingredients of soda seem to be: carbonated water, sugar, colour (caramel E150d), Phosphoric Acid, Flavourings (including caffeine).

What I really like is the carbonation.. but I HATE fizzy water. Maybe I’ll buy some and play with flavourings..

I guess it doesn’t help that losing weight is the last thing on my mind. I lost a lot of weight due to some medical stuff and only weigh 105 lbs (47 kilos / 7.5 stones). I’m eating MUCH healthier than I used to but can’t seem to gain back the weight.. sigh.

Rosa

no-spend-period

Brandilynn, I really like plain soda water w/fruit juice added – it doesn’t have the extra sugar or phosphoric acid, but it tastes soda-y to me. Cranberry & lime is good, so is grape juice syrup.

My favorite sodas have grapefruit juice in them and a liter of soda water with 3-6 oz of pink grapefruit juice (the little mixer cans on the grocery shelf near, like, clamato juice and bloody mary mix) hits that taste for me without eating the enamel off my teeth or phosphoric acid making my bones weak.

no-spend-period

i read the link for soda and all i can say is “Eeeeeeek!” Does that apply to sugar and things that turn instantly into sugar like refined wheat flour?

Charity

no-spend-period

The stuff in the link is a serious exaggeration. Sure, it’s not good for you, but it’s really not heroin! There is more caffeine in tea and coffee, and just as much sugar in orange juice.

JuliaJayne

no-spend-period

What points in the link are exaggerated, Charity?

Parsifal

no-spend-period

I’m sure most of my current health predicament comes from a high-carb, low-exercise lifestyle (I’m not fat but at 6’1 and 190 lbs could stand to lose 15 lbs and shift a few more to muscle). Still I was always super thin as a kid and I strongly doubt it is a coincidence that growing up – until at least age 15 – I was limited to ONE 12-oz soda a day, and that was usually diet if that’s all we had in the house.

For years after leaving home my guiltiest pleasure was going to the movies and drinking the 40-oz big gulp sodas. Now I cringe at what an extra several hundred empty calories a day for over a decade has done to my BMI :(

P.S. I call weasel words on that article, but the facts about what happens to your body when you drink caffeine and high fructose corn syrup are pretty accurate.

ArtGal

no-spend-period

Ok…I know this thread isn’t about soda, per se…however…I am weaning my husband off the regular soda with this:
    http://www.zevia.com/

It is a chemical-free soda that uses the herb stevia as a sweetener. It also doesn’t raise blood sugar levels if you are diabetic. It is more expensive, but he drinks less of it (due to cost) and he is now drinking more water. :)

Another alternative is IZZE:
    http://www.izze.com/

He had two siblings die in their 40′s from pancreatic cancer (sorry to be morbid) because all that they drank for hydration was regular soda and beer, (I actually NEVER saw them drink water in 25 years!!!) These deaths scared him into finally accepting alternatives…please give it a try :)

Mimi

no-spend-period

why don´t you drink juices mixed with sparkling water? seems to be an alternative if you don´t like water without any flavours. i used to drink soda and somehow stopped it, it was just a habit. now we don´t even drink juices, we only buy them for guest. i don´t miss a thing. but i´d have problems without coffee, don´t post any scaring links please ;)

Charity

no-spend-period

JJ – drinking a 10% sugar solution won’t make you vomit, for a start. It’s not salt! Excess blood glucose is converted into glycogen, not fat. Caffeine does not cause a net fluid loss and is really a very mild stimulant at the levels found in normal sodas (not the scary energy drink things).

Absolutely, Coke is bad for you, it makes you fat, increases your risk of diabetes and may be linked to osteoporosis, but bad science like that does really irritate me. Plus buying “a herb that actually blocks sugar uptake” is really not a great idea.

pkilmain

no-spend-period

Charity’s right – glucose is what your brain uses for food. A diet that cuts out all sources of glucose is not good for you. I like old Ben Franklin’s advice “everything in moderation.” :)

Charity

no-spend-period

Every single cell uses glucose for energy – much better to get it from complex wholegrains than high-fructose corn syrup, obviously, because frequent blood glucose spikes can lead to metabolic syndrome then diabetes. But you guys know all that already, of course. I know I have a genetic predisposition to diabetes but I still can’t always resist the sugar :( I never drink soda though, and drink a small glass of juice only with breakfast, never without food.

I’m pretty sure it would be impossible to block sugar uptake ROFL. If it were possible, Big Pharma would be all over it. Like those pills that block fat uptake but give you horrible diarrhoea instead.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

i folded on the computer front.

1. i decided that it is primarily a company item, not a personal item.
    no-spend cannot apply to my business, or i’d be out of business.
    2. end-of-financial year is june 30, so buying next month would be economic foolishness.
    3. however, i sold the macbook before i went shopping!
    so, at the very least, it is one in/one out.

apart from that, still no purchases, and going strong.
    we have a house guest who is like a walking catalogue of suggestions for every gimmicky gadget on earth…and he challenges me hourly.
    and now that i am mostly out of my wheelchair and tottering around the house on a walkung frame, he has a whole slew of new ideas for new products i could buy.
    i would much rather be slightly inconvenienced and slightly dependent than bring one more piece of disability equipment into this house for a short term situation!

Mimi

no-spend-period

bandicoot, you invested a lot of thoughts and made a clear decision. in my opinion, this is what counts, no impulse shopping. if you really NEED it, buy it.
    congratulations, no wheelchair anymore, i am happy for you!!!
    PS: i wonder if your guest is my mom : )

Mimi

no-spend-period

A summary of tempatations and thought
    No-Spend-MONTH: Temptations and Thoughts

WEEK 1
    Saturday, 28.
    -Five no-spend-weeks beging with a fail. I had my eyebrows shaped for 7 Euros. That was a kind of emergency : )
    -I thought I needed a new bra IMMEDIATELY. (Emergency? To be honest: a reflex while watching a shop window)
    -I went to a restaurant with a friend. We made the appointment before I decided not to spent money on anything so it was justified. Friendship is more valuable than my new quirk. However, I ordered just one small dish and a bottle of water and I was just a tiny little bit more expensive than a self prepared meal.
    -Bought food, frugally. 36 Euros, it should be enough for one week. I will try not to shop the next week, not even food.

Monday, 30.
    -Ordered new 2 GB of RAM as the one I ordered last week does not fit to my laptop. I could have returned it without ordering a new one but I thought it´s ok, because I ordered the article before my decision last week. And I really need more RAM.
    -Have to pay for a surgery. Not an emergency because it was planned. But I can´t avoid it.
    -I think I need more exercise on not spending money; I am not very good at it.

Tuesday (- Sunday)
    -No Temptations at all, as two of my wisdom teeth have been extracted yesterday and I don´t feel any temptations except for painkiller. Same for the rest of the week. We went to a supermarket on Saturday and bought food, nothing else, frugally, 42 Euros. I made a meal plan and it should be enough for the rest of the week. Ordered meat for the dog (online) and fruits for me, 47 Euros. The fruits are expensive, Mangos and Pineapples cut in tiny cubes, frozen. But it is food. Anyway, will be more frugal next time.
    -I stopped the alarms for saved ebay searches. I will not buy anything, I will not buy anything…. Got rid of 2 unnecessary memberships. It will save 40 Euros per month from Juli on. Good idea.

Mimi

no-spend-period

WEEK 2

Monday, 06.06.
    I am back to work, back to real life. Took soup with me so that I don´t need to have lunch at a restaurant. Wanted to buy nail polish but finally remembered that I have some bottles at home, so there is no excuse.

Tuesday. 07.06.
    BBF invited me to have lunch with him. He doesn´t want to have a not-spend-month — yet! ; ) — and manipulates my efforts by inviting me to go to a restaurant, to the cinema etc. that´s no fair play ; ) I resisted except for lunch today, I was hungry and forgot to bring food to the office. Ordered a simple meal, just slightly more expensive than selfmade food. I didn´t order a drink, the waiter was irritated. Social mistake, you have to have a drink if you want to eat. Funny, never realized this rule explicitly.
    Sat on the sofa and followed a link to an online shop that sells bag. And they have a sale. And BEAUTIFUL bags for “no” money. Is this an emergency? Had to think MANY times about the definition of an emergency. In the end, I resisted. Cheap but beautiful bags are not a reason to spend money within the next weeks. Acid test passed.

Mimi

no-spend-period

WEEK 3
    Wednesday, 08.07.
    Had lunch at a canteen. I think I will modify my strict rule of cooking everything myself. I don´t have so much time and energy in the evening to prepare dinner plus lunch for the next day.

Saturday, 11.07.
    Paid 89 Euro (the double amount compared with the last weeks) for food /groceries. We invited guests and bought some yummy things including some red and white and sparkling wine ; )

bandicoot

no-spend-period

mimi, that is a SMART idea….stop the ebay emails for saved searches.
    i don’t need a damned thing off ebay…..but when an email hits my inbox, i click through.
    ok, that is stopping now.
    thank you!

i think you have resisted a lot more temptation than i have so far.
    i am not out and about, so things don’t grab my eyes.
    and where i live, frankly there isn’t much to buy!
    i have been too busy rehabbing my leg and learning a new-to-me program on my imac (pages) and redesigning/ updating all of my company documents to do much online wandering around etsy etc.
    but a friend sent me a link to a japanese online shopping mall and i was very close to dropping a few bucks on some super long-handled stainless steel spoons for measuring out small amounts of concentrated raw materials…..then i realised, i have four of these spoons and although i use them constantly, for work, i really don’t need any more of them.

good food and meals with friends and wine too, are essentials for life and i don’t think you should begrudge yourself at all.
    we were alarmed by the price of fresh fruit in paris, but utterly charmed by the excellent quality of it.
    i think it’s worth it!

i hope your wisdom teeth heal fast.
    i made a thing from powdered stevia, licorice root, sage, myrrh, green clay, sea salt, baking soda and used it as a toothpaste and mouthwash (in some water) and my gums were healed so quickly that my dentist was impressed.

MTNgirl

no-spend-period

I unofficially joined the no-spend month on the 15th. But blew it today when I finger pushed buy on Francine Jay’s book “The Joy of Less.” My finger could not control itself and I am needing more inspiration. I went for broke adding a couple (okay THREE) Dr Bronner’s hair care products to my vitamin order. Not necessary, but I won’t be ordering vitamins again for three more months and I did not want to wait that long to try them.

Starting again…..

Charity

no-spend-period

It’s amazing how much temptation is thrown at us. Today I was scouring the shops for a dinosaur lunch bag for my DS (I managed to lose his old one) and came home with 2 decorative vases, a hemp body scrub mitt thingy for the shower and a tub of Spirulina capsules. But no lunch box, I have to try online. I resisted so much – we could use a new kettle, there were so many cute kids clothes, DS wants a new umbrella… this is why i stay away from shops as much a spossible

no-spend-period

Mine is going fairly well. I’ve spent less than 200 total (note including rent/utilities)I did order a ticket to Les Miz when it comes to town. While not an emergency I can get a discount though work. When they do stuff like this tickets go REALLY fast so if I waited till July 1 there might not be any left at which point I would end up paying full price.

Mimi

no-spend-period

@bandicoot, less opportunities seem to be boring but sometimes, they
    really help to focus, so i do envy you a bit for less temptations :) i
    work right in the center of the city, that is like working in a shopping
    mall. i always thought that this is practical/ handy but it it also…
    hmpf, disturbing? defocussed? definatly tempting. you made a good
    decision on the spoon. if you already have enough, you dont need new
    ones. i really enjoyed the evening with friends, we had so much fun
    and all the wine and when they left, the sun rised and the birds began
    to sing. what a night :) je ne regrette rien ;) do you have a recipie
    for the amount of ingrediences? i still have two more wisdom teeth
    left to be extracted and i would love to try your healing paste!
    welcome mtngirl!
    charity, thats the way it is, a no spend policy makes us think about it.

last week´s summary:
    WEEK 4
    Tuesday, 17.07.
    I begin to realize how much time I spend on “shopping research” –> surfing on ebay, amazon etc. As I will not buy anything I don´t visit theses sites anymore and it frees up A LOT of time for different things to do, makes me feel focused. Shopping / buying things often seems to provide a solution to problems that could be solved with different actions. There is a limit, of course but in my case it is far away. There are many tasks to do and a lot of things to be used up before it is really necessary to buy new stuff. I will continue my no spend period after a break during my holidays in July.
    Bought eggs and toiletries that I forgot to buy on Saturday.
    Had lunch at a canteen. Went to a restaurant with a friend. Bought more groceries.
    And, failure… i bought a coupon for a professional photoshooting. Booooohooooo! :/ This was really bad but I so wanted it. I have seen an advertisement, googled for the photographer and he takes wonderful pictures. And it was a good offer. I made a contract with myself: after buying this coupon I cancel the coupon-newsletter. I like to learn from mistakes : )

This is the most important sentence of my summary: “I will continue my no spend period after a break during my holidays in July.” and i am looking forward to it! i will fix a special period later, i suppose it will be 3 month.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

mimi, please stop with the failure talk!
    this isn’t an exam.
    or a measure of what sort of a person you are.
    this is an exercise, that is all.
    and every single time you rethink a purchase and put it back on the shelf, it is toughening up your ability to do so.
    but none of us signed up for a lifetime of self-denial or misery! (i certainly didn’t).
    we are human beings and we do need stuff from time to time.
    what we are doing here is examining/rethinking how much stuff exactly.
    really, i believe that being conscious about it is the most important thing.

me, i am pottering along.
    not being out and about has certainly made it simpler for me.
    all i have wanted (apart from the imac) in the last few weeks is vitamin e capsules and chewable vitamin c and calcium and things of that sort.
    and no qualms about sending out for them!

my husband has bought a few e-books lately.
    a friend who has had an incredible weight loss dropped off a few clothes for the husband….and with every garment he kept, he sent another garment to charity.

and i have sold the second laptop as well.
    everything is moving slowly but inexorably here.

Mimi

no-spend-period

hi bandicoot, the expression „failure“ seems to be wrong in this context, i just want to say that´s it´s “wrong” (because of the promise that i have given myself)
    but it´s not a problem, something like “ooops I did it again” (quote take from: britney spears) ;) can you tell me a word that fits better?

i like your staement: “everything is moving slowly but inexorably here”. this is the aim of my attempts to simplify my life!

JuliaJayne

no-spend-period

For those of you who are trying to not spend money, did you set a goal? Being a shopper at heart, I think it would be a whole lot easier to resist buying things if you had a larger goal in addition to not spending money on stuff. Such as: saving for a big vacation, a new piece of furniture to replace something that you dislike, or a nice camera so you never have to use the crappy digital point and shoot, save more for a rainy day, or whatever it is that you dream about but isn’t within your current budget. When we stopped all spending except for essentials, we had a big goal that kept us motivated and out of the restaurants and shops. We could not have done it without the bigger goal.

no-spend-period

Part of my rational for doing this is that with over a year of almost unlimted overtime some of my spending habits had gotten sloppy, I’ve been going out to eat more, buying more prepared foods, iTunes downloads and what ever random thing stuck my fancy. After all, I good afford it. (I did save quite a bit of money but I got used to a whole lot more fun in my budget.) So far it appears that I’ll have managed to save a good chunk of money this money. I plan on dividing it in to a little bit of fun, then condo savings and into my travel account. My laptop has been giving me issues so I’m thinking that it will need to be replaced sooner rather than later so I need to set aside some additional money for that.

mskris

no-spend-period

I’ve been inspired reading all your posts! It’s so comforting that you are all tempted as much as I. I’m setting aside August as my no-spend month. We’re going on vacation July 1-9 and will be spending quite a bit (although the flight, car, and sleeping accomodations are already paid).

In my defense (if I need one), I already bring my lunch to work daily. I’ve already stopped getting takeout weekly (for the past year or so). I don’t drink soda and when I buy it for the kids (seldom), they consume it in a day or two. I have a hybrid car that gets +/-50mpg.

I was really on an ebay kick for a while that began with buying my kids’ spring clothes. I’ve stopped now. I did sell a few items to offset my habit. I’m going to stay away from ebay for the rest of the summer and probably until about Oct. when I’ll have to buy more clothes for those dang kids – they keep growing! :)

I do have a hair appt. this Sat, but after that I can go until Sept. I’m at the age where I do have to color (I work outside the home in a professional office), but I’m wearing it longer so don’t get it cut as frequently.

My biggest temptation is clothes – I love ‘em. Even though I have plenty, I purge and then end up buying more! :( I just bought a dress for my high school reunion in August, and then bought 2 more (one was basically “free” with coupons and the other was on sale and I had a gift card for a portion of it). Even with my bargain shopping, I need to STOP!! I’m dieting and exercising, so I don’t need to buy more clothes – I’ll be able to fit into what I already have. I’m 5’8.5″ and currently 155 lbs. I want to lose about 6 pounds (have already lost 4+). Therefore, my food purchases are declining, too. My husband is the one who tempts me with invitations to eat out (lunches on weekends – cheaper than dinners). But now he’s dieting, so we’ve put that on hold indefinitely. I’m trying to buy more whole foods and cook more, especially with the summer farmers’ markets. Thanks for that Whole Foods recipe link!

I’m trying to avoid temptation for the rest of the summer. Aside from food, theme park tix, and souvenirs, vacation is a done deal. I just redeemed some credit card points for Disney (I have a 7-yr-old). My other issue is boredom. When I’m bored at work, I surf the ‘net. I read voraciously and have a weakness for Amazon.com! Do I have to hoof it to the library instead (bye-bye Kindle?)?

I hope to keep up with this thread and gain more inspiration and willpower from you! Thanks for the boost!

lucy1965

no-spend-period

@mskris Does your local library offer e-lending? You might find new things to read that way.

I’m finally getting a haircut tomorrow: I was past due when DH was laid off, and that’s been two months ago now. I’ve decided to creep up on the short cut I want, and will only get two inches taken off. I also purchased a bulk supply of salt for the water softener in the dishwasher; if we wind up moving in the next three months, the new owners will be glad to have it.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

a larger goal?
    hmm, i suppose i do have one or two.
    whilst i am laid up (but regaining mobility every single day!), and unable to travel for a little while due to risk of blood clots in broken leg (bye bye semi-planned trip to korea and usa in july) and no- spending, i am certainly saving whacks of money.
    some of that will be spent on slightly fancier bathroom renovations next year, and some will go to travel, and some will go to charity.
    but truly, none of those things are my motivation this time.
    i am doing this purely to examine how it feels.

MTNgirl

no-spend-period

I have been spending too much this year between medical bills, vacation, and general acquiring of THINGS. My job was way too stressful and I spent money to make myself feel better (not as bad as it sounds-I shopped at second hand stores, but spending none the less). I have changed jobs now, reduced my working hours, and my health is starting to improve; so I am ready to slow down the spending.

Mimi

no-spend-period

@jj: i did set a goal, but not a goal like: i save xy euros to buy an iphone, new fridge or whatever. my goal is to change a pattern of shopping and spending money in general. i learned that i often spend money on “impulse shopping” and even if i like the things that i buy- if i don´t buy them i don´t miss them! i am quite “shocked” by of the saved sum. i am sure that i will find a way to get rid of it ; ) but to learn more, i will continue the no-spend-period, it´s really nice, makes me feel focussed on the more important things in life.

JuliaJayne

no-spend-period

I enjoy reading that it’s working for you and other’s Mimi.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

o good lord, i bought something.
    here he is:

we have been holding talks about more cats.
    this guy came up.
    i looked at his photos online for a week before i decided.
    spoke to the breeder for two hours tonight.
    we will be getting a rescue kitten also….we believe in introducing little cats two at a time.
    isn’t he adorable?

JuliaJayne

no-spend-period

So adorable!

no-spend-period

He is a cutie!

lucy1965

no-spend-period

Eeeeeeeeeee, kitten!

Sky

no-spend-period

What a sweet face! Very cute.

mskris

no-spend-period

Awwww! We plan to adopt a cat after we return from vacation. We have mice in our house!!

lottielot

no-spend-period

As my ds2 would say: ‘aww, sooo FWUFFY!’ They have kittens in a shop next to a cafe where we eat out sometimes, and I have to restrain my boys from demanding kittens. I have to unclutter our doddery old cats first. Or rather, wait for them to unclutter themselves from this world. Enjoy :)

lucy1965

no-spend-period

I’d forgotten about this: we preordered and prepaid for the Blu-ray editions of The Lord of the Rings films; DH received the notification that they’d shipped today. The current set can go into DS’s “Movies I’m taking with me when I move out” pile.

(Speaking of which, he’s expecting a call to set up an interview time today: cross your fingers!)

Mimi

no-spend-period

@bandicoot: awwww, he IS adorable! so cuuuuute…. what´s his name?
    @lucy: fingers are crossed! :)

bandicoot

no-spend-period

we can’t name him until we meet him.
    he has to travel 3500 km to our place, poor little man.
    he will travel in a special container and we will meet him at the airport with our cat carrier.
    we are so excited. we love our cats! they are amazing creatures.

JuliaJayne

no-spend-period

Fingers crossed, Lucy!

Ella

no-spend-period

Hmmmm… this thread has some very interesting spins on the concept of
    “no spend”…

Did anyone follow Rachel Meeks’s No Spend Month? I found it very inspirational.

http://smallnotebook.org/2010/07/01/the-no-spend-month/

Jackthetiger

no-spend-period

Beautiful kitten, Bandicoot. I hope he will settle in well.

Mimi

no-spend-period

bon voyage, litte kitten!

smile, ella, life is a surprise :)
    i like to read the smallnotebookblog. very interesting, not only because of the no-spend-month!

last week, my spending habits had some spins, too. i gave very costly gifts to my cousin (he got married) and to my bad (birthday). the gift for my dad was a flop, not my fault, there was a concert and the musicians played in a wonderful setting in a private park, so far: OK! but they were not prepared for rain. and it rained. :/ next year i will bake my dad´s favourite cake, put a candle on it and sing “happy birthday” i am sure he will like it better. :)

djk

no-spend-period

oh is he ever a sweetie, bandicoot! I hope for a comfortable journey for him, and that he will settle in well with the rescue kitty and the others.

MTNgirl

no-spend-period

Thanks for posting the small notebook website! So relate-able on so many levels. Her husband and children are gluten free and dairy, I needed to hear about others!

10 days no spend. Only socks for the child, a nine year old is too young for blisters-those don’t count!

Mimi

no-spend-period

i spent 16 euro on the fees of the public library. is this justified? as i don´t want to be a dumb ascetic it is but i think i need to define my goal of this no-spend-period more clearly.

Charity

no-spend-period

Gorgeous, I so want one. But Dh says 3 is enough.

mskris

no-spend-period

Is it justified to get one cat to be rid of many mice?? ;) We’re thinking of adopting a cat after our holiday. My dd was startled by a mouse while she was sewing in our finished basement.

pkilmain

no-spend-period

Of course, but kitties do like friends, and they will entertain one another. We’ve usually had 2 – one for each lap!

lottielot

no-spend-period

not if you have a cat too lazy to catch a mouse or rat! My cats are too old to go mousing any more, the younger one did use to catch the odd one (usually from outdoors) and bring it indoors half-dismembered. One memorable occasion we had guests to dinner, their appetite was not helped by watching a mouse’s intestines unravel across the floor…The few occasions we had rats indoors they were not much use, one got in between the floorboards and the ceiling below and another got behind the kitchen bin in an inaccessible area to a cat.
    If you want a cat then get a cat. If you want to get rid of mice try poison!

Charity

no-spend-period

Females are better than males for catching creatures. My girl brings in all kinds of things. Frogs are the worst. Apart from the live blackbird in my bedroom at 6am. The 2 boy cats never bother.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

we’ve got a rescue kitten as well.
    he’s an utter cutie.
    (i believe it is better to get two kittens at a time)
    we are going to town today to collect them ….one from the airport and one from the shelter.
    we are pretty excited around here!

pkilmain

no-spend-period

Oh, we need more pictures!! I actually poked my DH in bed to make him look at your new kitten’s picture. Aren’t iPads great for reading anywhere?

One of our cats – the older one – once again hid from the housesitter for the whole 10 days we were gone. Sigh. She came out some time in the early morning (we got home at 3 am this morning) and was sleeping with me when I woke up. This after we spent the whole trip worrying she was outdoors, alone, which she may have been, we couldn’t locate her when we left. The housesitter had food for her indoors and out. Since our cats can open, but not close!, our front door, we left it unlatched when we went to bed this am so whether she was in the hosue or outdoors we don’t know. The younger one, an excellent rodent catcher, was trotting in from the garden with a live something as we were having breakfast. Luckily DH caught her and released it before all we in the house!

bandicoot

no-spend-period

these kittens are as cute as can be!
    we have named them bolli bollason and knut.
    they are friends already, and the big cats are completely freaking out over the tiny fearless invaders.
    everyone will settle down in a few weeks, and in the meantime, the big boys are getting lots of extra attention.
    nothing makes us happier than seeing warm purring happy cats all over the house!

Mimi

no-spend-period

i am sorry, i don´t have cute kittens to talk about :) but i have had a good week. except the library thing i didn´t spend any unscheduled money on anything. no temptations anywhere! some more days and my no-spend-period is over. i am on holiday from saturday on, will pause this no-spend-habit (is it a habit already?) and will restart after the holidays. i feel like donald duck, sitting on a heap of coins :)

Jackthetiger

no-spend-period

Well Mimi, AKA Donald Duck LOL. How will you spend your wealth? The uncluttered route would be to go away for a wonderful holiday; somewhere restful and warm where you can build your collection of experiences. Or maybe go to an opera, or plays or concerts. You have done really well and are an inspiration to those of us who have NOT been as disciplined. If you have noticed a gap in your wardrobe, you would be well justified in buying an item. My friend has gone for nearly an entire year without spending and she has cleared her wardrobe of all unsatisfactory, ill-fitting clothing. She is going to be much more selective when she does buy new clothes, but she is looking forward to the end of her “no spend” year.

PS: My friend moved to Queensland 18 months ago and she has not been to Melbourne during her year long challenge. Every time I tell her about all the new independent designers, she calls me “THE VOICE OF SATAN”.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

i must be at the end of my month, no?
    so, a work computer and a couple of kittens….not too bad…i don’t feel deprived.

now that it is over, what to buy?
    all i want is some travel and a new bathroom, that includes a bathtub!

Mimi

no-spend-period

hahaaa, the vioce of satan, that is funny. i don´t have a BIG heap so i go on holiday to antwerp ( the city of diamonds, hehe) and will sleep a lot, read some good books, go to art museums, wonderful cafés and restaurants, that´s my way to relax. i like cities and i like to do “nothing” :) maybe we will go to some other cultural events, we don´t plan that. plans are made for everyday life and business, holidays are do-what-we-want-to-do-zones. we swap homes so this holidays does not even cost anything except the gas we need to get there. btw: it´s a wonderful way to get to know people and get to know cities from a perspective of an inhabitant and not just a tourist. this is priceless and a wonderful experience. the owner of the house leave a brochure with tipps and so you get to know things and events that you didn´t even expected. and sometimes you get tips for your own neighborhood, as it is common to leave a letter with a feedback.i was very sceptical but now i love this way of travelling.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

mimi, it sounds like perfect travel to me!
    if you ever want to visit australia, live in a shed, and look after six cats, please let me know….we will be on the next flight.

we live in the country, so we love city holidays!
    and cafes, museums and art galleries are our favourite things to do.
    we like to wander the streets and stumble over amazing things.

have a lovely time in antwerp.
    it sounds cultured and refined and genteel.

Mimi

no-spend-period

thank you bandicoot! be careful with suggestions like this one, i might take you up on such an offer :) second warning: i´d also like to make some soap with you: i am planning a test series of liquid soap, so be prepared ;) you will repeat your trip to europe, will you? without an accident! make some plans for germany, we have a nice guestroom :)
    if you are interested in home swaps in general , you might like e.g. http://www.homeexchange.com. as you travel a lot and have a wonderful home (i have seen some pictures on flickr) i am sure that you will definitely find lots of people who like to swap with you! i know some people who combine swaps and hotel stays when they are on longer trips.

lemnlime

no-spend-period

I haven’t consciously been on a no-spend period, but the uncluttering process has made me stop spending without me even really trying. Every time I shop now, all I see are things that I will eventually be donating.

I cleaned through my closet, and I can’t believe how small a wardrobe I actually need. For the past two months or so, I haven’t bought any non-food item that I can think of, except for one necklace that I coveted for months that I had on hold.

It’s wonderful! I keep telling myself that I can get back to my old habits when I finish uncluttering, but I don’t think I ever will. I’ve unearthed so many cheap knick knacks and unwanted things, it really makes me sick to think of all the money wasted.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

lemnlime, i went through the same process and thought patterns.
    i think we all do!
    we all need to have that moment of realisation…..buying the stuff = inevitable deluttering eventually.

Rosa

no-spend-period

Lemnlime, that is fabulous!

lemnlime

no-spend-period

Thanks, Rosa!

Hopefully we’ll all be able to save a little money while we declutter. Two birds with one stone!

Netleigh

no-spend-period

I’m planning on having a no-spend August.
    No 1. objective will be resisting all the clothes companies Autumn catalogues, I really do have enough clothes.
    No 2. we are on holiday in September, if I do save some money in August we can spend more then on food drink and experiences.
    No 3. I’ll be helping ds move out of his flat and put some stuff in storage for going back to Uni in October and bring some stuff home. This involves going to bothLondon and Cambridge with all the shopping temptations that are there.

Anyone else doing it to share accountability with?

mskris

no-spend-period

I’m planning a no-spend August, Netleigh, so we can support each other. I’ve actually already started, but I did buy a few things since our return from holiday on 10 July:

a new camera (old one given to son) for $61
    a new kitty (adopted) & supplies: $100+
    some art supplies for my kids: $52
    HP2 tix (son & me): $24
    Photo frame (50% off) for great new photos of my kids: $17

Those Autumn catalogs will be tough for me to resist, too. Generally, I look at them for pleasure, maybe notch a page or two, but don’t follow through with purchases. I’m trying to downsize my wardrobe without replacing/buying new.
    I will have to buy the kids (3) school supplies in late Aug/Sep, but my goal is nothing for myself or the house (other than paint – we’re redecorating/updating). I’m trying to unclutter knicknacks and such anyway.

One thing I do want to do is take the family into NYC to an exhibit that ends in early Sept. We will take the train into the city and will need to have at least one meal there, but I’m not as concerned with spending money on “experiences” as I am on “stuff.” We hope to go with another family.

mskris

no-spend-period

I’d like to upload a photo of my new kitty, but am not sure how to do so?

Netleigh

no-spend-period

mskris,
    Thanks for keeping me company in August’s no spend.

Sorry I can’t help you on how to put a photo on here. Possibly start a new topic in the Questions section?

Rosa

no-spend-period

Okay, the most recent photos from the Horn of Africa, plus local fundraising (there’s a big Somali community here) have really gotten to me, so I’m going to try to carve $50/week out of my budget, probably mostly from the grocery bill, for Action Against Hunger (or our local group, Feed My Starving Children, if they’re doing something for the Horn – my company will match donations to FMSC)

Mimi

no-spend-period

i´d also like to join you on a no-spend-august!
    i plan some exeptions:
    - a white, matte, sheer nail polish. i will buy different sorts of nailpollish as long as i have found the one that fulfills my “needs”.
    - gifts, if nessesary
    - max. 50 euros for appointments in cafés.
    - two blouses and two cardigans, if i find the ones that i really like.

i will try not to buy anything except these things. and i will not go to canteens and restaurants. i will not buy shoes or clothes (except the above mentioned).

Netleigh

no-spend-period

Rosa, fantastic goal for the month, I feel a little guilty about anticipating spending August savings on holiday food and drink. However I do gift aid annually in the UK to the charities I support so they get the tax benefit.

Mimi, sometimes you have to get things like the blouses and cardigans when you find them otherwise they’ve gone if you go back later. I really don’t need any more clothes but August is temptation season for the UK Autumn clothes ranges, I have nothing that needs replacing, so I’ll attempt to resist the wants.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

rosa, i really admire that goal!
    i will match you, but my money will go to new kiva loans.
    it will be $200 ie eight fresh loans, and i will look for somalia on the loans.
    i pledge to make my new loans mid-month (my other loans repay around mid-month, so i’ll be poking around in my portfolio anyway).

i am up for another no-spend month, but with caveats.
    i am going to bali on monday, for 11 days and i’ll be supporting the local economy via plentiful massages and meals in lovely restaurants!
    i am not planning any shopping apart from possibly a really dramatic huge lamp that i was eyeing off in february.
    i have booked 15 kilos of checked luggage on the way there (soap gifts for my massage shop people and my tailor and my driver) but none on the way home.
    if i buy the lamp, i will ship it.
    or i may very well decide it is a dust-catching thing that i just don’t need after all!

Rosa

no-spend-period

Awesome, Bandicoot! I am actually at my kiva goal – a couple years ago, my Christmas present was $600 to put into Kiva, and as I keep relending it $50/mo, it’s grown enough I’ve taken out $50 gift cards for 2 people and occasionally donate to Kiva itself, without having to add any cash. I really love Kiva.

But our charity budget is all allocated, and I just can’t ignore the photos from the Horn – especially with the amount of local coverage it’s getting as well, with the local Somali community. And I’ve been feeling like I need to get the grocery budget under control, anyway.

Netleigh

no-spend-period

Best laid plans!
    Unfortunately I have to fly up to Scotland for my Aunt’s funeral this week, so that will blow part of the no spend resolution. I can still avoid general acquisition of stuff but I will stay for the weekend and no doubt spend more than I would have if I’d been at home.

mskris

no-spend-period

My goal for the month of August is really no spending on myself, mainly clothing. I guess what I really should do is join the “no clothing for a year” forum, but I can only commit to a month at a time. Also, I love to dress in costume for a particular club’s social functions and Halloween. I always buy my costume items from ebay, but still, it’s spending money.

I’m still decluttering my closet (donated 2 purses, a number of tights/stockings/trouser sox, and 2 bathing suits this weekend), and trying to come up with new combinations for outfits, so I definitely don’t need to spend any money on myself at this point. Ditto for makeup, shoes, and accessories.

I will have to shop for my kids’ winter clothes come October or so, though most of that is also ebay.

I went to lunch with a friend last Friday (hadn’t seen her in 15 yrs!) and spent $16. I also spent $5 on a set of hand weights for my new exercise program. I spent $10 on tix to a colonial house tour with my dd. No other money spent in the past week except necessities (grocery food and gas).

Mimi

no-spend-period

@netleigh, yes, and plus: i know that i need those clothes for my job in the office. i don´t want to risk my job by wearing rugs ;).

i got a while nail polish and it´s ok, not perfect but ok and cheap, just 1,65 euros. i am confident!

i am quite happy to join this no-spend-august!

Netleigh

no-spend-period

Totting up what the funeral trip to Scotland will cost!
    Flights, parking & car hire around £400. I’m staying up in the north for the weekend to see some places from the wish list of ‘things not yet visited’ this make the most having to spend the money on flights. I will be treating it as a holiday cost and raiding the savings account.

Netleigh

no-spend-period

Apart from the travel costs the funeral trip ’caused’ a few unplanned purchases.

1 bottle of perfume at airport duty free prices, this replaced one I’d recently finished, same perfume as it’s one of my small collection of signature scents. I’d have had it on my shopping list soon anyway. Also 2 bottles of brandy because they were at a particularly good price, dh likes a glass from time to time so this is always something we check on in the airport then stockpile them until he needs to start them, but we never have more than one or two bottles in stock.
    The non consumable ‘sin’ was getting a long linen scarf at the art gallery in Edinburgh. I could have resisted it, but it would have been really annoying to have missed the opportunity when it will go with so much else in my quite versatile, and also quite large enough, coordinated wardrobe.

Ginger

no-spend-period

I’m ready to join this now. I really need to be saving money and don’t have room to bring anything else in. I’ll be doing it for a month from today and try to write down all my temptations so I can evaluate them at the end. It’ll also be easier to track and write down what I DO spend, so I’ll try to do that too. I’ll share my results with my boyfriend because this will add extra pressure to not cave in, haha.

What I’m ‘allowed’ to spend money on: College payments, textbooks, gifts, bills, and necessary food and toiletries. I also already made a commitment to visit the renaissance fair with my friend, and will limit myself to ticket price and food (the shops sell costumes and decorations, which I do not need).

My first step is to unsubscribe from the majority of my e-mail shopping newsletters. I get 20+ a day and don’t want to be tempted. Plus it’ll declutter my inbox, which I needed to do because it’s hard to see the e-mails which are actually important. ._.

Mimi

no-spend-period

welcome, ginger and good luck! :)
    i was very successful so far. now there is a temptation, sounds odd but it´s so cool: recarchable artificial candles. haha, sounds horrible but i have seen them at a friends place and they are soooo wonderful. (if you don´t know them: [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsWNX_9-5F0)[/video] the good thing is: as they are LEDs, they don´t need a lot of electricity and they can “burn” all night long and i don´t have to worry to fall asleep while the candles are burning. i put them on my 30-days-list…

Netleigh

no-spend-period

Hi Ginger,
    Getting rid of the temptation of the e-mails is a good start.
    I haven’t unsubscribed from the clothes e-mails but have done a mail autosort folder so they put themselves in a folder that I’m not looking at. I can delete it’s contents all at once and then if I want to buy some clothes later in the season then I’m still getting the offers.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

checking in:
    i didn’t buy or ship the lamp from bali, as i had loosely planned (so i am ahead by several hundred dollars there. i saw it. i wanted it. i knew i didn’t really need it).
    i did get new prescription glasses and sunglasses though (health-related and i would never include that sort of thing in a no-spend month).
    and i bought a new messenger bag for myself, as my husband has appropriated the one i originally had (almost justifiable).
    kiva has had an extra $400 off me so far this month (i saw some lovely people to loan to today, and was able to add them) and that feels like a better deal to me than a load of dust-catchers in my house.
    and we are already halfway through the month!

Parsifal

no-spend-period

Good point about making exceptions for health-related things. Some things aren’t worth skimping on — it will cost you more in the long run!

I just made an abrupt transition from highly-compensated software developer to poor grad student – reduction in income by 75%, and a big part of the remaining 25% pays for school – so I think I’ll give a no-spend period a go!

Ginger

no-spend-period

Thanks for the welcome! ^_^
    That’s a good idea, Netleigh! I’ll try to figure out how to do that with my e-mail account. I usually check out places like retailmenot for discounts but they don’t always have the discounts I’d get for being a subscriber.

So far so good! There was a very neat necklace I saw online a few days ago on sale (it was a ship in a bottle type thing). I was SO tempted. Funny thing was, as I was sitting there deciding what to do, it sold out. LOL. But really, jewelry is the last thing I “need” right now. I wrote that down on the temptation list.

Mimi

no-spend-period

i had my eyebrows shaped and i knew i was cheating my no-spend-month. but i have wonderful shaped eyebrows now :D

Netleigh

no-spend-period

Sucessfully avoided any stuff purchases in London and Cambridge over the last 3 days. I did spend a moderate amount on eating out and a little on going to visit the Chelsea Physic Garden while I was so close, it had been on my bucket list for a while. DS lives, until next weekend, about a 15 minute walk away so it was convenient for Sunday afternoon.

Mimi

no-spend-period

wow netleigh, no shopping in london is really tough :)
    i put the LED-candles already in my amazon-cart. luckily, i forgot my passwort and it´s stored at the office, so i cannot buy them this evening ;) bought wax-candles for 2 euros. candles are soul-food, i just need them.

no-spend-period

Reading through this thread I was inspired – so just made my first Kiva loan!

bandicoot

no-spend-period

576, that is terrific to hear!
    congrats on your first loan and i hope you get to make many more!

Mimi

no-spend-period

hah, i didn´t understand completely what kiva is about (in english) and because i am cautious to give money to “someone on the internet” if i don´t really understand what it´s about, i couldn´t do anything. good new: finally, i found a geman kiva-site and it´s wonderful! wow, will try this in september. this could also be cool gift: a donation to kiva. if the person is not conviced, they get cash in some month and the people from kiva got help anyway.

Netleigh

no-spend-period

Another trip to London survived with no net influx of stuff, other than DS and a car load of his things that are only staying for a month. I bought a tote bag at the Miro exhibition and it replaced the one I have been using to take lunch and stuff to work that was falling apart. Other than that I only spent money on the exhibition and food.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

mimi, kiva totally rocks.
    i’ve made 400+ loans there and i feel as though my money is doing some good.
    plus it turns over and over for ever, so it helps more and more entrepreneurs.
    i’ve loaned over $10K and i’ve had around eighty bucks worth of defaults TOTAL.
    and i figure anyone defaulting on a kiva loan must be in seriously dire straits, so i wouldn’t begrudge it.
    i hope you enjoy kiva as much as i do!

netleigh, i am so jealous of you zipping off to london for a miro exhibition!
    it is wildly beautiful here, but let’s face it, it’s a cultural wasteland.
    the nearest national gallery is 1700km south….

looks like i have got to the end of august with no real spending.
    next week we are going to japan though.
    i’ll have to resist all that hello kitty tat.
    and other kawaii goodies.
    actually what i fear most is the amazing tech toys that i am sure will be everywhere.
    however, i am travelling again with one tiny bag and i am fairly determined that i am going for the sushi and the autumn foliage and that’s it.

Netleigh

no-spend-period

Bandicoot,
    I reciprocate jealousy, at you being able to visit Bali and Japan quite so readily and also being able to rearrange business so you can hit European culture for weeks at a time.
    I’m just a wage slave with 30 days holiday that seems to get used up very easily. Japan is on the retirement bucket list, but DS has been sharing a house with a charming Japanese girl who is studying in London. I was talking with her about my fantasy Japan trip and was debating spring for the blossom or autumn for the leaves. DS seems to be making friends from all round the world while studying and working in London, he’ll be set up for worldwide travel if there are still affordable air fares!

Mimi

no-spend-period

i admit, i am also jealous because of so many so cooooooooooool trips, sigh.

i booked a kind of trip today, it´s partly paid by the health insurance. i will go to the swiss alps for a week and do a lot of healthy things like hiking etc. i am so burned out, can´t wait for it.

and i had some really weak moments: yesterday i have bought these silly LED candles, a gift for my BF (okay, he is my DH but i still like to call him my boyfriend) because of wedding aniversary, and noise-reduction in-ear-phones because my old ones broke and i go nuts in the loud office. today i have bought running pants, a fleece and a rain-and windproof jacket to run with (preparation of the trip and also needed because it´s freaking cold -in AUGUST!- and i still run twice a week and don´t want to catch a cold). anyway, today i bought clothes but i was quite frugal, bought them online at lidl and the quality should be “ok” and the prizes are really low: 37 euro in total, for 3 items incl. shipping, comparison: 120 euros for only a running jacket that i tried on in a sportshop…i mean, all i do is to run through the woods and sweat…

i´ll begin with kiva, sound really, really good. and so i already have all the christmas presents for this year! :)

ninakk

no-spend-period

Mimi, I hope you get some good rest there. It does not sound good how you sound :( Plenty of hugs and a cup of nice green/white tea from here should you like one.

Netleigh

no-spend-period

Mimi,
    Swiss alps for a week sounds great, I hope you recover from the burnout. I’d love health insurance that allowed me to get out in the mountains.

Reviewing my attempt to have a no spend month, I did pretty well at not buying stuff, a couple of lapses, but I did still spend on experiences and food which I’m happy with.

For September, I will have an attempt at a ‘not a lot of spending month’.
    Food and experiences will still be OK.
    I will be having a break in Budapest but have no habit of buying souvenirs. The photos and memories are enough.
    Clothing. I need 1 pair of black work trousers and 4 bras on their normal replacement schedule, I may have to stock check ankle socks before winter to check for ones about to go into holes.
    General stuff. I have seen a large canvas print for the dining room wall that is pretty much the sort of thing I’ve been wanting since we moved into the house. I will buy it now as I’ve been considering it through most of August.

irishbell

no-spend-period

Netleigh- isn’t that great to find something you’ve been thinking about, wanting and imagining just the right thing-what a treasure.

Netleigh

no-spend-period

irishbell,
    I’ll say the canvas print is not quite exactly what I’ve been thinking about, but fits the bill on size, style, and subject, it’s £100 as opposed to the £1000 or more that the ideal artist produced item would be! That will have to wait until I win the lottery, forgo a ski holiday one year(completely unlikely) or I save for some considerable time.
    So I have compromised.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

mimi, a week in the swiss alps sounds completely fabulous.
    i hope you find some peace and quiet there, and return restored.

Mimi

no-spend-period

thank you all for your nice wishes! yes, the alps will restore me, i will recharge my batteries :) and i love my insurance for this program, they offer it to all their insured members, like a holiday. even though it´s called “active week”, i am sure that it will be recreative.

back to the topic: have you been successful with your no-spend-month? what have you learned? i got used to no-spending, it´s not that complicated anymore. summertime is always expensive (lots of yearly bills fly in these days) and of course, i pay them. every summer there is a shock while watching the bank statement (even though i know what has to be paid) but this august it was, whew, not funny but not as bad as all the years before.

there is a funny circle of no-spend-month and uncluttering in general. our friends now accept that living an uncluttered (or minimalistic) life is not a squirk or a short-term-arrangement while renovating the flat, and so they change the way to give gifts to us. we don´t get any vases or decorative bowls etc anymore. our friend bring selfmade jam or a cake or special olive oil and wine from italy, flowers, candles, tea and gift certificates for our favourite restaurant… and of course we appreciate it very much. the funny thing is: we really don´t have to buy a lot of food anymore- all the gifts plus the vegetables and fruit from the garden (august/september: harvest time!) and it feels really really good. we plan the meals for a week and we plan “vice versa”, not “what would we like to eat” but: “what do we already have in the garden and in the cupboards that we could eat” and we end up with very little things to buy. that is much more fun than before, no regrents, no ascesis, it feels like focussing on the real things, very cool and satisfying.

Mimi

no-spend-period

Anybody out there who is interested to join me during another no.spend.period?

no-spend-period

Yes, and I have some questions on what I feel are necessities. Will there be rules or guidelines?

Ella

no-spend-period

I’d be willing to add “no spend” to my unplugged Sundays. I’ve already been trying to do that for the most part by finding free Sunday entertainment within walking distance or using my public transit pass to get there. One Sunday I had to buy milk for the next morning’s coffee, but that was simply bad planning. If I commit to “no spend” Sundays, it’ll make me more mindful of things like that. For me, the best thing about the spending restriction is that I realize how much of my buying is quite unnecessary. By waiting, I often find other ways to make do or do without.

BreakingFree

no-spend-period

I’m in. I have been spending a lot lately, so I need to hit the brakes and try to “make it do” more often. I’m getting lazy about finding alternate solutions to “needs”.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

mimi, i am in.
    last month, i bought a new table and benches for the verandah and moved the old one back inside where it more properly belongs.
    i have a bunch of big glass storage jars en route to finish my pantry.
    i bought work shoes online for dh and myself….they will do us for the next 18 months or so.
    that is all the spending happening here lately.
    and still no new clothes!
    this is the fourth month of that, and everything is looking fine.

so, apart from some charity auctions i am bidding on right now (2 for services and one for a custom pet portrait), i have no plans for spending anything until december.

Mimi

no-spend-period

wohooo, wonderful, i am happy that you all are in! :)

SearchingForPennies: you can create your own rules! ella doesn´t spend money on sundays, bandicoot is not spending money on anything.

breakingfree: what do you plan to do?

i have two different approaches: one of them is moderate, it is a simple goal to save the amount of money that i already spent during my holiday in switzerland. it was more than i expected :/ i just enjoyed my time, have been to a lot of expensive art exhibitions, met friends, travelled a lot and we had a lot of expensive evenings out. so- je ne regrette rien- but i will try to “save” the money in hindsight. i want it to be done at the end of the year.

the second approach is an experimental phase. i would like not to spend any money for two weeks. and i mean, no money at all. of course i will pay my rent etc. and i will get groceries for two weeks in advance. but i don´t want to have money in my purse, as i found out that i have a lot of excuses for simple things like breakfast rolls and a latte to go in town because i forgot to have breakfast at home, one or two euros for the parking meter, and things like “oh i need rubbergloves and the just cost 1 euro”. i just want to know what happens, i like experiments :)

BreakingFree

no-spend-period

Mimi, here is my plan:

Food: only the basics (i.e., no Zevia or filler type foods, just good whole foods)

Clothing: replaced if necessary due to weight loss on 1 in: 2 out basis (I have pared my wardrobe quite a bit, so this should allow me to pare it to the level that works for my current needs)

Christmas: only gifts for others, not the usual “one for you, three for me” method :O

Kindle: Only books on my current wishlist that go on sale at $3.99 or less, and only with money I earn through lending my e-books on Lendle.

Other: no spending except needs. Make due with what I have. Add the item to a wishlist to be considered after the no-spend period and thereafter institute a 30-day policy on wants (I can buy it if I still want it after 30 days).

Mimi

no-spend-period

breakingfree: wow, your plan is devided into subgroups, i like that. when do you start?
    ella & bandicoot: you have already started, right?

i´ll start today with the 14 days no-spend-period without any money. i forgot to buy groceries in advance, so i´ll try to use what i have and buy more if i need it.

Rosa

no-spend-period

I’m really envious of all of you who are in charge of your own spending.

We just got the family Christmas lists from my partner’s side of the family, which is totally nonoptional spending (unless I want to leave my partner). One of his siblings was colluding with me on trying to slow the whole thing down, to no avail, for several years; now another of his siblings is raising the stakes by blowing through the traditional per-person spending limit and asking for really high-ticket items.

Ella

no-spend-period

I blew it. My very first no-spend Sunday and I totally forgot. I went grocery shopping and didn’t remember about the challenge until I got home. I’m going to have to make an exception to allow ordinary food purchases, though not to allow going out to eat.

lucy1965

no-spend-period

Yesterday’s Amazon Gold Box “Deal of the Day” was the complete series of Firefly on Blu-ray for $19 USD (list is $89); I made an “eeeeeeeeeee!” noise, then thought about it and realized that I’ve only watched the boxed set I’ve got twice — it is, in fact, in with DS’s DVDs.

So I closed that window. I’d rather have the money for more e-books.

Anonymous

no-spend-period

My bank account needs a no spend period, but I don’t think my life can afford it at the moment. I keep running into things that need replacing (or fixing at the very least), maintenance expenses, health expenses… all I can do for the moment is keep better track of these things and cut out the small amounts of impulse spending I still have…

chacha1

no-spend-period

I admire all of you who are trying to do this. Have to confess, I am finally in a “spend” period after two relatively austere years. I will say no more except “good luck” and best wishes to all you dedicated no-spenders!

Mimi

no-spend-period

ella, maybe you could replace your no-spend-sunday and have a no-spend-thursday this week? :o)

lucy1965, well done ;)

anita: i will also have to pay for health expenses. i will not take a cheap treatment for my teeth if i am able to afford a better one. this would not make sense from my point of view.

this no-spend-thing makes me think twice about some “solutions” that are easy to buy. for example, i wanted to have a new outdoor light as the one at the back door is not strong (?bright?) enough. i looked for a new one that also has a motion detector. but in fact- i need a bulb with more power, that´s it. and funny enough, i already have such a bulb, i don´t even need to buy it. it´s not that i have to make a compromise, ok, a motion detector would be nice to have but… i don´t need it, i need more light, that´s it. the usual reflex was: buy a new, better lamp but so, i will screw in the new bulb this evening and i will save about 50 euro. nice!

thanks chacha1, enjoy your “freedom” after an austere time!

rosa, i am very sorry for this wishlist thing. could you call this special sibling and tell him/ her that the usual amount that you all agreed on, is xy$?

Ana_A

no-spend-period

I think I’m actually going to try this. I don’t spend that much (here in Portugal things are so bad that not buying is becoming a second nature), so I think it won’t be that difficult.

Food – only the essencial (the usual)

Clothes – No clothes (I haven’t bought anything in weeks, so just keep going)

Books – Have enough already and there’s always the library

Eating out – that’s the worst part, convincing my DH to stop this for a awhile, even if it’s usually fast food.

Exceptions: clothes for the baby (but a relative is about to lend me a lot of clothes, so maybe I won’t need to buy anything) and a new freezer. My diswasher just broke, but I’m not that worried, since I usually wash my dishes by hand which means I won’t buy another in the next few months (assuming my DH won’t find a way to fix it).

no-spend-period

TANGENT!!

Lucy,

Firefly fangirl squee :)

I was told about it by a friend after gushing over Castle, and devoured the entire series plus the movie in 3 days. Love Cap’n Tightpants. Of course, then I had to watch Dr. Horrible with the incomparable NPH and Fillion. I catch everything on Netflix, though, don’t buy anything on DVD except I did get the Harry Potter set last year for my kids.

Mimi

no-spend-period

today i went shopping, haha, grocery shopping for 8 euros. the funny thing about this absolute-no-spend-two-weeks is: as i don´t want to combine the no-spend-two-weeks with a no-calorie-diet i allow myself to buy groceries. but i hardly need any even though i don´t have a lot of stocks in hand.
    what i have is the content of my fridge (it´s a very small fridge), one (sic!) drawer with noodles, honey, jam, bread, etc plus glass jars on a shelf where i store salt, sugar, coffee, muesli, rice, oat flakes, flour and lentils (and dog biscuits but they don´t count *g) . aha, and my freezer with two 500g-bags of vegetables, one 250g-bag of raspberries, some slices of naan – bread and some meat. and there are still some apples and pears in my garden.

it was a big surprise that i don´t seem to need more than some fresh milk for my coffee latte, salad, eggs and crushed tomatoes for all the meals on my mealplan for the next two weeks. i wonder what will be left in 10 days. this is really fun.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

i bought a handful of small items for my workshop.
    commercial kitchen supplies….i needed a replacement 2000ml jug, a long handled silicon spatula, a new stainless steel whisk of a very particular length and flexibility, and some deep hotel pans to store squeezie bottles full of pre-mixed clays and oxides on the bench top.
    my previous jug got a big chunk broken out of it by an over zealous helper….i found that thing in guam six or seven years ago and carted it home, and used it almost daily ever since.
    the spatula is the twin of one i bought a few months ago, which has been commandeered by my husband for his section of the workshop, because he quickly discovered how perfect it was too.
    i am sure you can all relate to being very fussy and exacting about one’s tools!
    and i can’t include business stuff in my no spend month.

however
    i have been busily booking tickets for a couple of cultural events down south next year.
    one in particular was excruciatingly expensive and i had to actually pull strings via my swanky credit card concierge service to get tickets to the completely-booked-out-for-two-solid-months thing, and there was absolutely no option of paying for it next month.
    but i feel that seeing geoffrey rush playing lady bracknell in the importance of being earnest was worth the transgression, don’t you?

apart from all that, there has been nothing purchased this week, not even food.
    we are chewing our way through the various leftovers and odds and ends, probably for another couple of days at this rate.
    i even downloaded charlotte brönte’s villette for free on amazon!
    and i have found that my skin really likes a mixture of honey, yoghurt, finely ground brown rice and oatmeal, and a couple of drops of essential oil, as a scrub….i mix it up fresh when i want to use it, it isn’t terribly stable, but it feels marvellous.

lucy1965

no-spend-period

*flails in solidarity with DMo3*

DH spent some money for an excellent reason: his contract job is being extended at least through the end of this year (his recruiter is renegotiating the contract today), and he needs better gear. The newest computer in the house is 6 years old and would have to be gutted and completely rebuilt to handle testing; he found a factory-certified reconditioned system that has literally double the computing power for $350, and has already committed to recycling the THREE old systems he’s been using as soon as it’s set up.

AND he’s going to finish cleaning out the Fortress of Solitude. I may faint.

bandicoot, my darling, for Geoffrey Rush as Lady Bracknell I will write you a note. *grins* You HAVE to tell us all about it!

chacha1

no-spend-period

@bandicoot: JEALOUS! Fabulous. I would have pulled some strings, too. :-)

@lucy1965: tell the DH congrats from all of us.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

yes, congrats to lucy’s dh!
    it sounds like he’s got the bug :)

no-spend-period

bandicoot – I think Geoffrey Rush would be worth breaking the no-spend period for. Lucky you!!!

Mimi

no-spend-period

bandicoot, i think business is a different thing! it is a bit like paying rent even if you have a no spend month, it just has to be paid. but thinking about spending habits is one of the aims of the no.spend.time. and so it affects not only private matters.

i bought some fresh green stuff: lettuce and cucumbers. yesterday, MIL invited us to drinks some cocktails, yummy :) we went home by bus, not by taxi. i was pround of DH as he is often too lazy to take the bus and walk some minutes from the bus stop to our home.

ps this no.spend.time is quite nice because there is an aim in ‘numbers’ because i want to save an exact amount of money that i spent some weeks ago. so i try not only to stop spending but also to ,activate passive money’: e.g. certificate cards that i have but forgot to use when i have been at the shops, stuff that is in my ebay-box, money that i lent to someone etc. i put some things on ebay, reminded a friend that she ows me money, and i put the gift cards in my purse and decided to buy christmas gifts at these shops. this is not only to speed up to save the amount of money but also like uncluttering.

Mimi

no-spend-period

PPS: activated some more passive money: changed some swiss francs back to euros instead of keeping them for mr justincase.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

a challenge today.
    i purchased a couple of expensive handmade teapots on etsy a couple of months ago.
    after six weeks, i initiated a dispute with paypal.
    the teapots arrived yesterday….inadequately packed and cracked.
    i escalated to a claim and paypal refunded me overnight (impressive, and i helped by supplying photos).
    so, i wake up to an extra $448 in my paypal account and for a second i thought, yanno, that is sorta found money in a way, and no-spend shouldn’t apply to it.
    and then i transferred it into my travel account, all of it.
    i am getting better at this.

Mimi

no-spend-period

congratulations, bandicoot!

i had a slight spending day yesterday. in the afternoon i entered a parking space that was not free, i didn´t know until i entered…no way back. ok, that was a kind of accident.
    then i was hungrgy and went to the supermarket to get milk. MILK! i came home with the trunk filled with groceries, oops :) all those green lettuces and orange pumpkins and carrots and, aah, i just couldn´t resist and i thought, food is so basic and if i feel a need to eat healthy vegetables, it can´t be wrong.
    today i sent a package to a friend.

even if i spent money i am confident. the urges to buy clothes, jewelery, cosmetics etc. are under control. and it feels better, like a relief. maybe i should do a no.spend.week every month or so.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

i wouldn’t dream of including food in a no-spend period.
    gotta eat!

Mimi

no-spend-period

true, but i had enough food at home ;)

irishbell

no-spend-period

Mimi- I am working on that as well!
    I tend to want to buy enough so I don’t have to go back to the store right away, but
    the truth is- I have plenty of food ALWAYS. We could probably live for a month on what I have here.
    It wouldn’t always be our favorites, but it would be food!
    So then, I have to go by myself- no kids or dh, to get only what I need for the week.

pkilmain

no-spend-period

I’m not doing no-spend (witness the fact I bought a new laptop yesterday), but you gals have convinced me to track my cash spending. I have my itouch available most of the time, so it’s easy. No more $100 fromthe ATM and where did it go….

irishbell

no-spend-period

Pkilmain-I’m the opposite. If I use a credit or debit card- I don’t see the cash I’m spending.
    I’m so much better with cash.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

i bought some new plates and bowls…replacements.
    o i could have waited a few more days to finish my month, but i was right there and they were right there….
    managed to ignore international black friday deals on the apple australia website though.

bandicoot

no-spend-period

coming to the end of my no-spend month and looking good.
    i considered a drive to the city, but it’s really hot and oppressive and there is nothing i really need or want right now.
    i might just bask in that sensation for a bit.

Mimi

no-spend-period

oh i got used to my new spending habits- nearly forgot about the no-spend-time! :)

bandicoot, that sounds wonderful, like you really changed your way of spending and attitude towards spending.

i also made progress. i didn´t reach my goal of a strict NO-spend-at-all-period but i bought food and toiletries and i am absolutely fine with that, even if i could have used the food that i already had in my kitchen.

and there were some health-related spendings, that i didn´t want to avoid. the health insurance pays the easiest and cheapest way to repair a tooth and i have chosen a better treatment that i have to pay for. i can´t think of a better way to spend the money that i saved because of the no-spend-time.
    i also booked two sport classes that are health related. i made sure in advance that the health insurance pays for them- they do and so i will get 80% back. i never knew the value of health until i got really sick and i fight and make health related expenses to my top priority to get and stay healthy.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.