Home Forums Your Bathroom Medicines

This topic contains 20 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by Avatar of nellieb nellieb 4 years, 1 month ago.

• Author
    Megan

Any ideas on the storage of medicines, other than next to the sink or in a medicine chest? (The humid bathroom has always seemed convenient since that’s where the water for taking them is located. And good light for reading labels.)

Thanks,
    Megan

nws2002

Medicines

I store the vitamins I take everyday in the pantry, because it reminds me to take them every morning with breakfast. Other stuff I store in a plastic basket in the linen closet, because that’s where I had extra room. If I need to read the labels I can grab the whole basket easily and take it to the kitchen where the light is better and there is water.

I read somewhere not to store them in the bathroom because of the temperature changes and humidity. Don’t know if that’s true, or just a myth though. There’s no place in my tiny bathroom for them, so that wasn’t even an option for me.

briezee

Medicines

I keep my in a latched jar (I think it was a cookie jar or something initially) in the kitchen. Since I see the jar, it reminds me to take the daily meds I need. They are kind of in a jumble in the jar, but that doesn’t bug me the way it might bug others. Note, I don’t have kids that would be tempted to get in the jar.

Abeline

Medicines

I need to rethink my storage also. I had my multivitamins in the bathroom and I thought they’d gone moldy. After further inspection, my chemist husband informed me that it was RUST. They were of the extra iron variety. Ew, ew, ew.

klutzgrrl
    Participant

Medicines

I keep mine in a box in the top shelf of the pantry. Paracetamol, throat lozenges, nothing terribly important. Child-free people do need to be a little careful of the habits they get into with medication, I think – it used to really worry me the way a relative would have their medications in their travel bag or sitting on the bench when they came to visit when my kids were small. I didn’t want to insult their intelligence by saying something, but kids can be so quick….

badkitti

Medicines

Mine is in one of those boxes you put your daily pills in so you can see if you’ve forgotten to take it that day. Top ups are kept ina nearby drawer. Paracetmol etc is kept in the seperate WC on a shelf. I don’t have kids.

karenmcgowan

Medicines

we keep supplements in a kitchen drawer and everything else in one of those organizers with clear pockets that hangs over the bedroom closet door.

opadit

Medicines

I keep most of our stuff in an uncovered, 2-quart plastic food storage bin above the kitchen sink: thermometer, band-aids, packs of antihistamine pills, a spare pregnancy test, and ibuprofen. I also keep antacids and vitamins on hand, and they stay on the shelf next to that bin.

When someone is on a prescription, I usually keep the bottle or canister up there, too. I figure if it’s in the general area where all our medicines go, I can’t lose it too easily. My daughter and I are blessed with general good health. So other than seasonal allergy medication we don’t have to keep much on hand.

I keep burn relief cream in the bathroom because it’s really messy and I always use a lot of tissues when I use it. If the burn occurs in the kitchen (and where else do I ever get burned? Nowhere. Clumsiest cook ever), I can treat it immediately with cold running water there and then just take the burn to the bathroom.

Claycat

Medicines

I use a basket, too. I keep it in the kitchen. We don’t have little children around, but we do have cats, and I have to be careful that they can’t get into the meds. I also have one of those containers to put my daily meds in.

carmel

Medicines

I’ve been pondering this same organization issue. I have everything on the kitchen counter and can’t stand how it looks. Plus, I don’t want visitors seeing what medications I may be taking. Or, even commenting on my vitamins. After reading the posts in the “Kitchen Canister Quandary” discussion, I’ve been searching for a breadbox type item to store my vitamins & medications in. This will sit on the countertop where my bottles are currently. I don’t like keeping these things in a cupboard because then I’m less likely to take them.

Also, even though my cats haven’t shown any interests in these bottles, I fear they might be bored one day and will investigate them.

For less used items like the thermometer, Band-Aids, cold medicine, etc., I have these in a covered storage box in the linen closet.

Gypsie

Medicines

No children. We keep our medicines in a basket in an upper cabinet in the kitchen. Keeps the animals away from them and they are in the cabinet that is next to the one with the water glasses.

Band-aids, thermometers, etc are kept in a basket in the linen closet, which is next to the bathroom.

Mrs.Mack

Medicines

Didn’t read the other entries, so this might be a repeat:

My mother always kept medicine and such in a kitchen cabinet. Still near water (and the cups) so it’s easier to take, but not in the humid bathroom that could cause the medicines to change/go bad.

I, on the other hand, keep them in my linen closet, which is just outside my bathroom door. But I have the room in there, and no room in the kitchen.

bandicoot

Medicines

we keep our small supplies on top of the refrigerator in a small old wooden crate:
    papaya ointment. band-aids. lavender oil. eye drops. panadol. tea tree oil. eucalyptus oil. marjoram oil. betadine. some thai cough medicine with opium extract!

i keep fish oil capsules in the fridge.
    and that’s about it.

badkitti

Medicines

For those worried about keeping them in a place where you forget to take them (this is me – I am terrible at remembering)I always keep my daily meds next to the teabags – i always have a morning cuppa, and take the pill while the kettle is boiling. I don’t, but could you put the meds in with the teabags in the caddy, or the coffee container?

sjwilde

Medicines

I take a lot of prescription medicines, and I hate having the bottles sitting out because they remind me of all my medical conditions. So I keep them in a very nice leather covered box in the kitchen cabinet, and keep several days’ supply in a pill container. I don’t use a 7 days of the week one because it’s too much of a pain to count them out. I just toss them all together and pull out one of each every morning.

The challenge for me is to get everything refilled on time. I get them from 2 mail-order suppliers plus a local pharmacy, basically because my insurance is complicated. One medication is a controlled substance for which my doctor has to mail me a new written prescription every month. (When I lived in Oregon the laws were much looser than here in NY; I was able to get 3-months’ supply with refills for a year.) The mail-order suppliers are slow and it sometimes takes them a while to reach my doctor when they need to, but the copays are cheaper.

This is all so boring, but hopefully this is a place where people will put up with reading it!

adorita

Medicines

Maybe it’s just me. It kills my appetite to see medicines in the kitchen. I put mine in a large Lock & Lock toolbox, inside the coat closet right next to the flash lights, first aid kit and emergency supplies. Should there be an emergency, they go with us.

I don’t consider vitamins or supplements medicine. I put my iron pills in the nightstand drawer.

irishbell

Medicines

First time here!
    I keep tylenol,ibuprofen and such on a turntable in an upper kitchen cupboard.
    Bandaids, antibiotic cream, thermometer, in a kitchen drawer organizer.
    Vitamins are kept in a small decorative bowl on the counter, because if I do not see them- I will not take them.
    A couple things I take every night- allergy pills etc. are in a small wooden bowl on my nightstand, which if you had little kids around, could be put higher up on a dresser.
    Having 5 kids, we’ve seen our fair share of meds and the like, this system has worked pretty well over the years.

chacha1

Medicines

DH and I don’t take any prescription meds. Band-aids etc are in our bathrooms. Vitamins are in the cabinet over our kitchen sink, keeping company with the blender and a stash of romance novels. :-) OTC painkillers and allergy/cold remedies are in the cabinet next door with the breakfast things.

Carmel, I think your breadbox idea is a good one. Keep ‘em out of sight but easily accessible. A wall-mounted box might be even better because then it won’t impinge on your counter space.

lookinout

Medicines

I was brought up with meds accessible so I don’t think about restricting them. Now, I can remember my evening meds and portion out the vitamins with them. The morning vitamins are a bigger problem even in my line of sight.

Mom25dogs

Medicines

No children but 5 small dogs. I found out the hard way to be extra careful with medicines and vitamins around dogs. I put a pill in a pant’s pocket to take when I got to the kitchen but forgot about it from the bedroom to the kitchen. Later, when taking the pants off, pill fell out and dog ingested requiring an expensive visit to the emergency room. Another time she grabbed a whole bottle off the nightstand as a toy. Despite the childproof caps she was able to chew the top off. When I found the empty bottle I rushed her to the emergency clinic again. Another expensive visit only to find that she had not ingested any of the pills, only pieces of the cap (which can be so sharp that they pose their own problem with the possibility of perforating the stomach or intestines). I found the pills at home and counted them to be sure. I make sure my meds and vitamins are out of the reach of my small dogs! Some I keep in a basket in the refrigerator, some on a pretty tray in my kitchen and bedtime meds are in a drawer in the bedroom. I have a plastic box with airtight lid in my bathroom under the sink in the cabinet for OTC meds.

nellieb

Medicines

I keep all medicines in the kitchen. I have them in clear storage containers (shoe box size) with labels as I keep my animal meds in one of the boxes. These are stored in a high cabinet so children and pets cannot reach them. (I have animals, no children.)

I installed a shelf about the kitchen sink and I keep my daily vitamins and scrips on that. I see them in the morning when I walk into the kitchen. I’ve done this for so many years that it’s automatic. If I have medicine that has to be refrigerated, it’s right there in the kitchen…so all meds are in the same room.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.